Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM

Swampdog is a Private
KWA trigger question

I know alot of folks dislike KWA due to their proprietary parts, but I love my gun. If I could change one thing it would be the travel on the trigger. I take a lot of longer shots and it takes all day to pull the trigger. Is there a common mod or a replacement part that would shorten the trigger pull considerably, but still allow full use of semi auto and auto?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
Swamp,

like you i love my KWA's... its not a trigger from them but there is an electric trigger that goes in the box that is also a super duper mosfet all at once.. it has a very short throw and is even programmable..

but dude its not cheap... its right at $100.. its called the raptor something or other..

"Builders helping Builders"
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Jonezy is a Private
The Raptor is now discontinued. You could look into getting a BlackTalon Concepts Chimera MOSFET, which is what replaced the Raptor. Also, there is a simple mechanical hair trigger guide that can be viewed here: http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/i...48698#msg48698
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 PM

The_Gecko is a Private
Exclamation

I think I have the solution you are looking for. I have done this to two of my KWA rifles: an SR5 for CQB and an SR12 DMR. The results are simply amazing.

Here is a list of the items you will need to complete this project:
The ASCU II Mosfet will replace a majority of the stock trigger assembly. The blade switch will be removed and in its place will be a small circular microswitch. The trigger travel with the ASCU mosfet be just as long as a stock gun, but the trigger will engage at the very end with a very small click. This is where the Speed Airsoft Tuneable Trigger comes in to play. It replaces the stock trigger and features a setscrew that allows you to adjust the "at rest" position of the trigger. It is possible to set the trigger's at rest position so it is just barely touching the ASCU trigger microswitch. With this configuration you can remove the trigger spring. It is no longer needed. The final total trigger travel is less than 1mm. I measured it with a caliper. This, my friend, is what we call a hair trigger. *evil grin*

Finally, use the superglue to fix the setscrew in place. To achieve the aforementioned results, very little of the setscrew is still inside the trigger. Without the superglue, the screw will fall out and shred your gearbox.

I'd like to round out this suggestion with a short discussion on batteries. It may seem to be a little off-topic, but I believe it is relevant since you spend a fair amount of time taking the long shot.

To make your long shot more satisfying you should work to minimize the delay between the time you pull the trigger and when the BB is fired. During this span of time, the electric motor is pulling back the piston. How fast the piston is pulled back depends upon the gearing, the motor, and the battery. Trying different motors and gear sets can get expensive. It is far cheaper to borrow different batteries and see which one performs the best. But you don't want to overdo it. It's quite easy to plug in an 11.1V 50C 5000mAh battery and get that piston pulled back in 50 milliseconds or less; nice and snappy. But putting that much power into a KWA will shorten the life of the motor's brushes, the gears, and the teeth on the piston. So now you need to look for the sweet spot: a balance between performance and minimizing wear and tear on parts.

KWA recommends at most an 11.1V 15C 1800mAh battery. That's a good place to start if you want to maximize the life of the stock parts. If you need more capacity than that battery, you could try a LiPo 7.4V 5000mAh 25C. I have one and the time to pull back the piston while using a KWA M130 spring is 90ms. My LiFePo4 (non-A123 cells) 1100mAh 9.9V battery will pull it back in 110ms, while the NiMH 8.4V 5000mAh battery pack has the slowest time of 130ms. I'd like to draw attention to the fact that the smallest delay was achieved by the lowest voltage battery. Why? Because the 7.4V 25C 5000mAh LiPo maintained the highest voltage under load.

NOTE: The stock springs are M120, so your time will be a little lower.
NOTE: I have no idea what time a LiPo 11.1V 15C 1800mAh battery pack will spend pulling back the piston because I don't have one to test.
NOTE: All these times were gathered recently during a project involving my SR12 and an oscilloscope.

Last edited by The_Gecko; 03-06-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 AM

slowridn73 is a Private
I have the black talon chimera and the ACSU and without a doubt go with the Chimera. although you were not asking about mosfets if you do get one get that one and use the guide that jonezy gave to take up the slack in your trigger.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 AM

sdk1968 is a Private
great info & thanks!

"Builders helping Builders"
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Swampdog is a Private
Thank you guys for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: