Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Loose is a Private
Mad Bull 6.01 Ultimate Tightbore Review/Comparison

Mad Bull 6.01MM Ultimate Tightbore Barrel (7075 Aircraft Alloy)

Product Overview
This thread is a review of the new Mad Bull 6.01 “Ultimate” tightbore. Considering how well their Black Python 6.03 tightbore’s perform, the new tighter barrel should be good news as this should yield even better performance. The barrels are made of 7075 Aircraft Grade aluminum and bored out by means of the same process as the Black Python's.

I was sent two barrels, one is 363mm long and the other 247mm. I will be using the 363mm for the tests.

A picture next to my Mad Bull 6.03 barrel, as you can see the new barrel’s are gray compared to the black of the 6.03’s. Besides the color change, the finish still feels and looks the same on as the old barrels.The inside of the barrel looks very smooth and shiny. It doesn’t have any visible scratches or blemishes. I tried to get a good picture of the inside but had no success of taking one that was worth posting. Also worthy of noting is that the barrel came very clean, and was free of dirt.

Pricing
Unfortunately they aren't as cheap as was rumored to be, only 10% more than the Black Python Series. However, they are still very reasonably priced for a barrel with a 6.01 bore, ranging from $50-$55 dollars depending on the length of the barrel.

Pricing from Stryke Airsoft
Up to 363mm - $49.99
Above 363mm - $54.99

Comparison Tests
On to the performance of the barrel which (of course) is all that really matters. I’m going to be comparing the new barrel to a Mad Bull 6.03mm tightbore (what I’ve been running), and a stock JG S-System barrel. All the barrels are 363mm in length. I will be using the exact same set-up for all three barrels, so the only thing that will change in each test will be the barrels themselves. Ten shot groupings will be taken at 50ft, 75ft, and 100ft in an indoor environment to give the tests more consistency. The only major variable will be my aiming, which will be done in the prone position with the gun positioned in a rest.

Test Platform
I will be using my upgraded A&K CQB-R with G&G 0.25g bb's for the tests. It should be a pretty consistent platform to test the barrels with. However, you can click the link below the picture if you want to see the full specs of the gun to see exactly what is being used.

(The scope was used for test purposes only, I don’t actually run the gun like that)

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/al...pictureid=7431

Groupings

Sorry for the lack of pictures here, my memory stick has decided to show errors and will no longer be recognized by my camera or computer. I will get some up as soon as resolve this problem. As for now, I can only post the numbers. The first number is the distance between the two farthest shots, followed by the height and and the width of the groupings in the parentheses.

50ft
MB 6.01 – 2 5/8” (1 1/2” H x 2 1/4” W)
MB 6.03 – 3” (2 3/4” H x 1 7/8” W)
JG Stock – 3” (2 3/4” H x 2 3/4” W)

I was kinda surprised that the JG barrel posted the same size groupings as the 6.03 barrel, though it's still really close distance so the bb's should still be going fairly straight no matter what barrel you're using. The 6.01 was only slightly smaller, however the picture tells a little different story, as the group includes a flyer that was about 1" off the rest of the pattern (Again sorry for the lack of pics).

75ft
MB 6.01- 5 1/2" (3 1/4” H x 5 1/2” W)
MB 6.03 - 7 1/8” (3 3/4” H x 7” W)
JG Stock – 10 3/4” (4 1/2” H x *10 1/8”)

At 75ft some clearer separation starts to occur between the barrels. As you can see, the groupings get bigger as the bore size goes up, which makes sense logically. The 6.01 records about a 2" better group than the 6.03 with the JG barrel posting groupings double the size of the 6.01.

100ft
MB 6.01 – 8 1/8” (6 7/8” H x 8” W)
MB 6.03 – 10 1/2” (8 1/2” H x 10 1/4” W)
JG Stock – 14” (4 1/2” H x 13 7/8” W)

At the 100ft mark the results are consistent with what was shown at 75ft. Also notice that the both the Mad Bull barrels are tighter at this distance than the JG was at 75ft.

Conclusion
The Mad Bull "Ultimate" Tightbore seemed to perform very well in my opinion. It showed a noticeable increase in performance over both the Black Python and Stock JG barrel. Is it enough to warrant spending an extra $15 over the Black Python for the gains that were seen? I would say so, but that also depends on the budget and the build that the user is going for. Overall, I would recommend buying this barrel, I have used my Black Python for over 2 years *now with no problems and don't see why these should be any different.

I will be doing more tests shortly. I will be posting numbers for the effective range, and max range of all three barrels for further comparison. I’m also planning on comparing the barrel to a Dee’s 6.01 in a DMR set-up, and hopefully have pictures of the groupings posted too.

Last edited by Loose; 04-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 PM

WhiteRook is a Private
Thumbs up

Very Nice Review drawf!

I wan't sold on the idea of these tight bores ... but I put one in my Thompson and I'm getting 2" +/- grouping at 65 ft ... looks like you are getting similar results.

I've got my name on a list for a MB 509 mm to put in my M16 VN as soon as they arrive.

Looking forward to the pics! Thanks for the effort.

WhiteRook
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Spanishcop is a Private
I just received my 6.01 Madbull..... 455mm for my SR10... just waiting on my SR10 to come back from KWA so I can get it installed.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM

knightmare is a Private
Send a message via Skype™ to knightmare
I installed a 247mm 6.01 Madbull Ultimate TB with a Madbull Blue(60 degree) bucking in my G36c. The bucking had to be trimmed and it fit really tightly, but once in, I noticed a definite improvement in the flight path and range of my bbs. They are worth it.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
Agreed Knightmare, I put mine in my G&G M4 and it is a tact driver easily hitting someone at 150ft. Really worth the money.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Rosenhagen is a Recruit Private
Spanishcop,What is wrong with your KWA???
Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Spanishcop is a Private
Heres the thread on my KWA info....

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28113
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM

WhiteRook is a Private
Well, I finally got my Mad Bull 6.01mm Tight Bore inner barrel (509 mm) installed in my CA M15A1 and got it tested. Since a picture is worth a 1,000 words, please see the attached.

Other than the barrel, I'm using all the standard stock CA X Series parts (hop up, bucking, etc).

The standard CA barrel (6.08 mm?) shows a 4.5" grouping of 10 at 65 feet while the Mad Bull 6.01 mm shows a 3" grouping of 10 at 65 feet (note: gun is NOT benched. This is me holding it).

Not bad, I was hoping for better.

What really shocked me was the increase in muzzle velocity (0.2 g bb)

Standard Barrel:

370 fps
377 fps
364 fps
373 fps
373 fps

Mad Bull 6.01:

410 fps
393 fps
402 fps
405 fps
410 fps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	3180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	3182  
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
Whiterock with a 40fps jump with just a tightbore install you must have been having some serious air seal problems. Did you only do a barrel swap and nothing more?

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 06-06-2010, 10:05 PM

WhiteRook is a Private
Well, yes all I did was change out the barrels.

The marketing material stated a 15% increase in performance with the new Mad Bull Ultimate Tightbore Barrel.

Well, stock barrel averaged 371 fps ... 6.01 mm barrel averaged 404 fps w/0.20 g bb's.

That's a 9% increase in muzzle velocity.

I'm really amazed with these results.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 PM

ninja_fish is a Recruit Private
I recently bought a nice new 455mm length 6.01mm madbull tightbore barrel for my M4 and I must say it impressed me ever since I layed eyes on it. The aluminum it is made out of is top notch stuff, and the performance of the barrel proved itself today on the field. My groupings at 60 feet are about half the size of the stock barrel. Great investment, and a happy customer with this barrel!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM

greatrazer is a Recruit Private
i've never owned a tightbore barrel because im a primarily cqb player but i've always wondered if shooting in full auto or in semi auto affects the performance of a tightbore, but now im getting larger gun for longer distances so i was wondering if the full auto would affect performance and how much range a tightbore can tack onto a gun...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatrazer View Post
and how much range a tightbore can tack onto a gun...
A tightbore doesnt really add range, it just makes your shots more consistent, with tighter groupings. This is more noticeable on full auto too.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM

WhiteRook is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_fish View Post
A tightbore doesnt really add range, .
That is correct. However, you may get a boost in your muzzle velocity due to the tightbore, which would add distance to your bb.

My tightbore increased my muzzle velocity by 9% using 0.20 g bb's. My tests haven't included range, but considering this added attribute, I do plan on doing some more testing.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRook View Post
My tightbore increased my muzzle velocity by 9% using 0.20 g bb's. My tests haven't included range, but considering this added attribute, I do plan on doing some more testing.

Maybe I should've said tightbores dont add significant range, but your fps increase seems to be much more than your average increase. Usually a TB adds 10-20 fps averrage, which I would'nt consider adding any real noticeable range, but not all barrels are created equal either!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
Ninja Fish, I think what you are trying to say is that tightbores add effective range. You stock barrel could shoot 150ft before, but you would need to arch you barrel and be VERY, VERY lucky to hit someone and even then they might not feel it. With the tightbore you are gaining a few feet, but the most important thing is the grouping size is reduced dramatically. Thus you are more likely to hit someone at a greater range.

Bottom line is they are an important piece of the puzzle in making your gun the best it can be.

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 PM

WhiteRook is a Private
That's a good point ... you only know when you hit a paper target when you see physical evidence ... i.e. a whole in the target ... but during a scenario, all you have to do is "plink" 3 bbs on a person's bdu's to execute a "hit".

This same shot at a paper target may not even make a dimple in the paper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: