Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM

tweek17 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to tweek17 Send a message via Yahoo to tweek17
Systema Energy parts?

Hey guys,

Im thinking about upgrading the cylinder, cylinder head and piston head in my gun. I ran across the new Systema Energy series and wanted to hear you intput on these products if any of you have bought some of the parts.

Im just trying to quiet the gun up a bit and get some better compression than the stock ICS stuff. Should I go with the energy kit or grab a standard bore up kit?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Cut Throat is a Private
"...reduce player fatigue."- I hope that isn't one of your main selling points on it. Gearbox parts aren't exactly heavy compared to the rest the gun. I understand the whole reducing drag part, and getting better compression, but come on now.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

tweek17 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Throat View Post
"...reduce player fatigue."- I hope that isn't one of your main selling points on it. Gearbox parts aren't exactly heavy compared to the rest the gun. I understand the whole reducing drag part, and getting better compression, but come on now.
Lol yea I laughed at that to. I could care less about the weight, Ive carried a m249 for entire events but if it increases the ROF that would be nice.

My main concern here is better compression followed by audibility of the gearbox. My gun is very loud compared to others.

Im also worried if I were to get a metal cylinder head and piston head the gearbox will crack. It happened on my G36 twice with reinforced boxes. Thats kinda why Im opting for the reinforced plastics and small amounts of metal.

Last edited by tweek17; 12-14-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Comrade Garcia is a Private
I suggest you just stick with the stuff thats tried and true. You can't be sure with new stuff on the market right when it first comes out.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
There is no reason why you should be getting bad compression as is with the current upgrade parts that are out there. If you are not getting good compression now you should examine the parts you currently have and find what is faulty. Call a new part whatever fancy new name you want, all o-rings will seal the same if properly installed.

What part of your gearbox cycle is loud? The gears cycling? The motor turning? Or simply the piston head smacking against the cylinder head?

There are ways to silence a gun and a new gearset is likely not going to do a whole lot. Even all helicals have a very unsubstantial and hardly noticeable effect on lowering noise generated from the hears.

If your gun is unusually loud I would check your shimming first, motor adjustment next and clean and relube the gears. Buy a cylinder head that has built in rubber matting to soften the impact of the piston head hitting it and go to a lower spring.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM

ECHOES is a Private
If you're running an ICS Armalite, then there is a reason your gearbox is so loud. It's split design causes a different acoustic tone than other AEGs with normal designed gearboxes. My ICS M16A4 has a tone unique to it, sort of a sharp almost "cheap" sounding noise. It runs fine, so the noise doesn't bother me. Do you have a similar experiance with yours?

Why feel the need to justify anything to others? You made the decision, nobody except for you can judge that.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM

tweek17 is a Private
Quote:
If you're running an ICS Armalite, then there is a reason your gearbox is so loud. It's split design causes a different acoustic tone than other AEGs with normal designed gearboxes. My ICS M16A4 has a tone unique to it, sort of a sharp almost "cheap" sounding noise. It runs fine, so the noise doesn't bother me. Do you have a similar experiance with yours?
I think its the gears and the antireversal latch design that runs into the forward assist, almost makes a grindy-whiny noise. All 3 ICSs that I and my friends own do this and they are all pretty much perfectly shimed, no play in the gears whatsoever.

The problem is the cylinder head is cheap and only has one o-ring holding compression with the cylinder and I always find lube on the outside of the cylinder head after games when Im cleaning it up, which means it leaks.

The cylinder is not ported which I would think would create a resistance and vacuum while pulling back, more stress on the motor and battery. Also I believe this is the design for longer barreled weapons.

The piston head is old and I think the o-ring is worn down, its also not ported creating a further vacuum and more resistance pullling back.

Idk thats just my 2 cents on what I think is happening in my gun, please correct any wrong info.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
A vented piston head (aluminum or polycarb) will decrease any vacuum you are worried about. You can tell if your cylinder head leaks by the good ole plugging the cylinder head with your finger and try to push the piston into the cylinder. If you do this under water you will know where it is leaking by tracing the bubbles to their source. If its tight enough that air cant escape, oil/grease won't be able to escape either.

If you literally have "no play" in your shimming then it is too tight. You want it to where there is the most minimal amount of play while making sure the gears are not rubbing one another as well.

Last edited by DemonicUnicorn2; 12-14-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Quick run down of what the SES does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6SFsBbtr9c
Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM

NightWolf is a Private
Send a message via AIM to NightWolf Send a message via MSN to NightWolf Send a message via Yahoo to NightWolf
I too have been looking at getting the new Systema Energy Cylinder Head. I have seen more than one head lately in the guns I work on where the brass tube loosened from its mount and the design of the new Energy series looks extremely strong, as if it was designed specifically to prevent this problem. The tube and surface are all one piece and you get both the standard head and port and a bore-up port so one cylinder head does it all. While I will rarely use the bore-up port I do like the construction over the standard polycarb heads and am going to be giving it a shot to see how much more durable it is compared to standard heads.

As far as your cylinder head leaking is concerned, I tend to see that with the cheaper stock cylinder head from ICS. It has a lot of wobble in it compared to others that have a closer tolerance to the cylinder, so replacing it certainly would not hurt and it is an effective fix for compression loss. Your O-Ring also comes in to play and if it is worn, as previously mentioned, it too will drastically effect compression.

Good luck and I will let you know when I get the Cylinder head in and installed. I am putting it in a KWA M4 and while I normally like to stick with the stock parts for that particular gun, they are sold out and I really like the design of the new head and feel it will make a good replacement.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 AM

john is a Private
an ics upper won't crack because of metal parts.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM

tweek17 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolf View Post
I too have been looking at getting the new Systema Energy Cylinder Head. I have seen more than one head lately in the guns I work on where the brass tube loosened from its mount and the design of the new Energy series looks extremely strong, as if it was designed specifically to prevent this problem. The tube and surface are all one piece and you get both the standard head and port and a bore-up port so one cylinder head does it all. While I will rarely use the bore-up port I do like the construction over the standard polycarb heads and am going to be giving it a shot to see how much more durable it is compared to standard heads.

As far as your cylinder head leaking is concerned, I tend to see that with the cheaper stock cylinder head from ICS. It has a lot of wobble in it compared to others that have a closer tolerance to the cylinder, so replacing it certainly would not hurt and it is an effective fix for compression loss. Your O-Ring also comes in to play and if it is worn, as previously mentioned, it too will drastically effect compression.

Good luck and I will let you know when I get the Cylinder head in and installed. I am putting it in a KWA M4 and while I normally like to stick with the stock parts for that particular gun, they are sold out and I really like the design of the new head and feel it will make a good replacement.
Thanks for the input and good to hear, I think Im definately going to be grabbing the set in the next week or two. Ill be sure to throw up a review of a before and after comparison.

Tags
energy, systema

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: