Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 PM

buckeyerev is a Private
Op Diamondback AAR

Operation Diamondback started with a multi-force muster where rules were discussed at length and questions were answered. Teams then split up to move to their predetermined start area. Russian CO Link briefly explained overall squad assignments. I worked as Russian Faction Second Platoon leader and member of initially named squad 6. When game on was declared, our squad began with an initial HQ overwatch so that late arriving players could be added to our squad which initially began with 6 members but later grew to 10 strong when a small contingent of stragglers joined play.
Six members of our squad became victims of the rules relating to respawns and squad cohesion when we returned to HQ. These four members of our squad chose to freelance leaving the rest of their team
idle at the HQ for an hour despite multiple attempts to reach them by the CO and myself.
Following the lunchtime break, our ties with the freelancers were loosened which lead to several hours of epic airsoft. The AO was a perfect environment for objectives that ranged from simple to complex with each requiring varied amounts of stealth vs. brute force efforts.
The presence of multiple refs helped streamline questions about tactical objective requirements as well as provide navigational assistance for those like me who had never been to this field before. Rygar's apparel provided a pleasant relief to the nearly constant firefights that we endured in the second half of the event.
If I had to rate this event I would say that it was 95% airsoft bliss and 5% shenanigan overall. From my perspective those tan that I engaged showed the utmost integrity in calling their hits. Trigger control was good for the most part. I had one gentleman shoot me multiple times after I said hit and congratulated him on making such a great shot. (Maybe he thought that I was begging for more). I can't think of another event in my 6 years of airsofting that I only had this happen once. So this certainly did not take away from my experience at all. I had multiple encounters with U.S. Forces who outplayed our squad and could have lit us up at close distances, but they chose to shoot us one time in the legs. Again I have never walked away from an event where I have seen such trigger control and honorable play.
Our squad had fought our way toward the U.S. position. We had eliminated forward placed enemies and crawled to within just a few feet of another U.S. forces team member. When the "Cease fire hold your position was called" this opposing forces member stood up and walked toward our squad to scout our position and strength. Multiple members of our squad saw him walk back to meet his team and heard him describe where we were positioned and begin formulating a plan to attack us. It was a blatant violation of the spirit of the game, but it was one incident involving one person who made a bad choice. Just one shenanigan in a great day of airsoft.
The only real concern I had came after I was struck by a BB from a distance of at least 100 feet that
peeled the skin off my arm when it struck me. I also noticed that there were a few others at the event who experience the same kind of injuries. My wound did not come from a negligent shot due to an MED violation, I believe that it came from a hot shooting gun. This is the first such injury I have had since OOBI adopted and began aggressively enforcing the 400 fps maximum restriction. When I mentioned this incident, one of the refs stated that he had spot checked fps throughout the game without problems. However, I think the problem may lie in the reported bb weight. I hope that OOBI staff will strongly consider reviving the practice of having participants chrono with OOBI provided BB's. Barring illegal on the field adjustments, this system appears to provide a fail proof measurement for most weapons.
While I must say that I am partial to the Crucible Series, I must admit that Op Diamondback rocked! It was great to serve under CO Link and along side the Russian Team. We also enjoyed working with Vegas and Okie on Squad 6.1. (I hope I got your call signs right) I must say that the U.S. was a true force to be reckoned with. Thank you for your great sportsmanship!

Last edited by buckeyerev; 07-20-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 AM

JMDECC is a Private
I had a lot of fun at Diamondback. I brought a few new guys who had never played airsoft before and they ended up falling in love… totally hooked now.

Thank you to OOBI for putting on a great event, and thank you to DP for giving us a field to play at.

Best moments of the day:

1. Preacher and I's squads L shaped attack on the oil fields. Perfect assault and we took the oil fields in just a few minutes with very few casualties. We were able to repel at least one assault if not two before being retasked.

2. The attack on the ruins to find the Rogue Rangers. One of the most intense firefights I've ever been in. We had one wall, the 75th had the other wall, we were just blasting each other. Move and shoot. Scream and shoot. Casualty. Move and shoot. Repeat. It ended up getting so crazy that at some point we had friendlys actually take over the position we were assaulting without the main force realizing it and we ended up getting into a shootout with one another.

3. Watching some of the Rogue Rangers get mowed down after they basically ran single file into an open field with enemies everywhere. Pure lols.

4. The assault on the loading docks before morning endex. We were told there was 20 minutes left in the game. Low on ammo, my squad decided to go for gold and see if we could take the loading docks, or at least do a lot of damage in the process. We patrolled way off the main path, parallel to the bog, and finally made contact in the woods just outside the docks. We killed most of the dudes in the woods while a few took off, and then we positioned ourselves in a ditch along the road near the docks. We began picking off targets and it seemed that no one realized we were there. I am not a huge believer in airsoft sniping, but walking shots into people with my PSO scope was pretty awesome. Coolest kill: there is a guy hiding behind some pallets or ammo crates or something, the only thing sticking out is the very tippy top of his MICH helmet. I sight him in, take one shot, it goes low. I adjust and take my second shot, it clips the tiny little exposed part of his helmet. He throws his hands up in the air like "WTF" and puts his dead rag on which was awesome of him because he very easily could've shrugged that hit off. Kudos to you dude. Anyways, we felt comfortable in our position along the road and slugged it out until a lot of Rangers began to come back in from spawn and most of us were wiped out. We met up with event staff who informed us that there were really still another 30 minutes left in the game, we were all completely out of ammo though and pretty much combat ineffective so we hit the parking lot and waited for the afternoon.

The afternoon wasn't as great as the morning was. During the second half it felt like there was a lot of disorganization amongst players, people not following rules, etc. I even have to admit at one point there were a few members of my own squad who, instead of returning to the CCP to link back up with their squad, decided to go off with another squad to fight, leaving us stuck for about 45 minutes without anything to do but garrison with Preachers squad who had run into the same problem as us.

The whole reset also really sucked, I wish that there would have been a ceasefire but everyone remained in the positions they were in. We literally had two squads 10ft from the door of the kill house with smoke grenades, a handful of thunder b's, etc. We would've totally been able to take that building if we weren't sent back to spawn. When we got back to the oil field there was 0 organization, everyone was just like "oh hey lets run directly at the LZ yelling davai" …I took my squad through the woods and to try and flank the LZ, we got slightly disoriented and ended up walking into the loading docks on accident which promptly got us killed.

All in all I really enjoyed the day and I'm looking forward to the next OOBI event. I'm also really impressed with how many Russian players that showed up, hope to see more in the future! It was nice rolling with a big group

Россия!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Tiimelord is a Private
Pictures have been posted to Facebook. You can view them here

Video will be edited and posted throughout the week. Stay Tuned.
~ Ephesians 6:10-20 ~
OP: Threshold. OP: Crucible. OP: Dark Horizon. OP: Sidewinder (OOBI) OP: Crucible III (OOBI)

Check out my YouTube Channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TiiMELORDHD

Proud transexual... And loves Rowdy.
Rowdy loves you too fil
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM

DrenneR is a Private
the ranger side for me at least felt disorganized, people not following the garrison rules.
didn't get a lot of info handed down through the proper channels.
I am still unaware of even 1 objective, other than defend the west.
I also couldn't I.D our 2nd platoon medic (neither could the other 8 guys with me)

DRENNER
OMG05
Ohio Milsim Group
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimgroup
Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Cyber is a Private
As usual, Out Of the Box hosted a tremendous event, and I had an absolute blast.

I had not previously been to the AO before, but was certainly impressed. I really liked the buildings and structures. The field was not too big for the rules requiring a squad to pick back up their respawned units, allowing squads to pick up their fallen comrades without losing momentum. These rules added an interesting dynamic to the game, and made each death much more impactful.

On the leadership side of things, chain of command was held throughout the day. Link did a great job at including everyone in his plans.

However, at times, certain squads in particular decided that they would do whatever they want. They were told the objective, but refused to listen to the platoon leader and CO, even going as far as turning off their radios. This was not due to faulty leadership, some people just refused to listen to orders, and after they ran off we just never saw them again for the rest of the game. However, this was the exception, and most players I saw really tried their best to work cohesively with the team.

There were many memorable moments throughout such as:

Covering my sun deprived pale arms with mud for camo while running with some crazy guys that actually spoke Russian.

Nailing the guys in the barn with the grenade. Exploding things is always fun.

Getting absolutely destroyed by a hostile fire team while trying to defend the oil field. I'm pretty sure the opposing squad used one bb on each of us. Those guys moved through the woods as smooth and silent as bobcats, and it was really impressive.

Taking down the US assault on the village from their rear along with Cody and Buckle. The three of us nailed the majority of them, and they had absolutely no idea what hit 'em. Some of them vainly yelled "friendly fire", only to be decimated by the fiery bb's of Putin's wrath. That will teach them not to mess with the motherland.
It was also hilarious to see that a little yearling deer was bedded down in the field throughout that whole battle without moving.

I did encounter an unfortunate situation where I did end up raising my voice. During the ceasefire, over six of our men witnessed at least one US player walking around looking for where exactly we were at so they could shoot us after the game was back on, and we saw/heard multiple US players walk up to each other and discuss what they would do and where they would attack after the game was back on. We were given specific instructions by the nearest admin not to move or act at all till game on, and to pretty much freeze in place. However, this is not what got me so upset. Rev, one of the many people who were watching this happen, spoke up and told the players in a non confrontational way that what they were doing was against the rules. Their response: "Then why are you talking now, fat ***." I was pretty calm till they insulted my father, then I did yell a bit from the wood line, with the term "cheater" popping up more than once. I was not in their face or anything and I didn't swear, but I did yell quite a bit and I apologize. I am sorry that I did not handle the situation the right way. I did not mean to bring the situation up again to cause confrontation, but to give an idea of what happened from my perspective to those that may have overheard it.

Other than the previously mentioned incident, throughout the day hit calling and sportsmanship was pretty much excellent. It was great to laugh and joke with some of the opposing players moments after we were pretending to kill each other.

It was great working with everybody on the team. Atlas, playing with you guys is always great, and I can't wait to shoot tan scum with you yet again.

Necro and Oakie, it was great to get to know you guys, and it was super fun running with you throughout the day.

Thanks to all the Out of the Box staff for just being awesome. Your events are always great, and I am always excited for the next one. Overall I had an absolutely wonderful day of airsoft, and can't wait for wait to pretend to shoot you guys again.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Glitch is a Private First Class
As always, OOBI goes out and gives us another awesome event! Thanks to all who staffed and set this game up for us to enjoy a beautiful day! From what I saw there were zero heat casualties, which that itself makes it a great day when people stay hydrated.

Moments of the day: (copying JMDECC )

1. There was a kid who had the wrong outfit on who must have skipped the player pack or misread what camos are allowed. Peyton (Zeus) lended a helping hand and offered him some woodland so he could play with his friends. I have talked about this before and I hope that this will continue to happen whether it be gear, guns, water, ammo, or just offering a guy someone to play with.

2. As JMDECC put described the push with his squad and Preacher's squad (squad 3, my squad) and our SOAR guys, we had a textbook assault on the oilfield. Squad 3 reached the area first cutting through the woods and picking off unsuspecting HATO forces, then Squads 1/2 came up the road and helped us clean house. Perfect way to start the day.

3. Our squad was a little late to the party at the Loading Docks when the Russians finally captured it. Our guys had already been sent back but we were too focused on sneaking up. We were only 8 strong but we got up close and started shooting only to realize we missed the party :/ sorry to all that we shot we did not mean to upset anyone

4. The whole Russian force moved exceptionally! When people fire and push on targets instead of staying back it makes a huge difference in execution. There was one point we got slowed down, but I yelled around for a smoke and Lindeman popped one out and put it perfectly in the opening allowing us to move up. Unfortunately the ceasefired occurred and I had to leave.

5. Defense of the LZ for resupply. We had multiple squads, I believe 3,4,6 were there. The Rangers pressed hard, but we were able to hold them off with a well placed medic and Preacher's constant reminders to keep spread out to cover all areas. When they finally pressed up onto the LZ, Woods and I were in my magical spot (it seems that people are starting to figure it out though....) and we held them off for a few minutes after the objective was complete.

6. We can't forget that Stonewall had a birthday TODAY. So if you haven't said it already make sure to tell him Happy Birthday!! I still thought we should have sang for him...

Although I left early, I continued to hear about good integrity in hit calling, very few conflicts at all and they were solved without anger or swearing, and all the new players I talked to LOVED the game. It's fun when new guys come out and get to experience something like this. It's how the community will continue to grow.

And for all of you that can see, thats me in the picture with the spring pistol got one kill with it too!!

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Be the change you want to see in this community.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Killjoy is a Private
ROGUE RANGERS (Task Force ELITE)

Both sides fought hard and well. Great efforts from Russia and Tan. But heres some input from the middle man's perspective.

Game start: We were already sandwiched between the tan and green forces from the start. We held our position well as we fought both tan AND green for about 45mins to an hour before Russia invaded our HQ and Link left us the option of a Russian prison, or join forces with them.

Midgame: We had way too much fun, whether its charging tan in the middle of the field, assaulting the loading docks (very successfully) or any of the other schenanigans we caused, we lived up to our name and acted like total douchebags (lol). Russia was a good team to fight for, they moved up when they needed to, gave us orders but when it came to the fighting they also listened to us as well, fantastic display of teamwork. It's always an honor fighting under Link.

Endgame: Things slowed down a lot, and when TFE flanked around to the tan's base and were on the correct side of the yellow line, a dead tan guy called us out and got us all killed, infuriating most of us, and sending us to the parking lot (along with gun and comm issues). We had fun, but the second game, the tan at the HQ pissed me and the rest of my guys off. We also had a tan come in from the staging area, pass the net, spawn, and shoot us right in the back. Great sportsmanship there lad. We also had a lot of tan yelling at us for 'cheating' saying we were out of bounds. There is a yellow string for a reason, we were on the correct side of it, AKA not out of bounds. There may have been one or two that were not that I didnt know about, but to throw a fit over it like that was unacceptable. We have video evidence to prove we were not cheating, and will prove it if we have to. Stonewall was there and said nothing to us about it, and I'm sure knows that we would never purposely cheat. Sportsmanship is key.

The only other problem I had was at the loading docks, another case of dead guys talking. Dead tan told the guys inside the building I was around the corner and my face got lit up like a christmas tree by a Polarstar. Do not forget boys, when you are dead, you CANNOT talk. It also seemed that they werent following the medic rules, after I shot five guys... A minute later, three of them were respawned, as if the medic didnt even pull cards. A bit annoying.

We know that things like this always happen, and its good to point them out. BUT, we cannot only focus on the bad.

JONAH, this event was spectacular.

Big thanks to:
Jonah, Team SOAR, Louisville Task Force, Link & SPEAR, and more.

Sportsmanship was 4 stars out of 5. Gameplay was amazingly fun.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUfr...ature=youtu.be

-Killjoy, Founder and Leader, TFE

Task Force Facebook Page (Like it up!): www.facebook.com/TaskForceELITEAirsoftTeam

Task Force Youtube (Subscribe):
www.youtube.com/user/KILLJOYAirsoftOhio

Last edited by Killjoy; 07-21-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Killjoy is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDECC View Post
3. Watching some of the Rogue Rangers get mowed down after they basically ran single file into an open field with enemies everywhere. Pure lols.

[/CENTER]
But hey, we killed most of the tan in that field.
We had too much fun... haha.

Task Force Facebook Page (Like it up!): www.facebook.com/TaskForceELITEAirsoftTeam

Task Force Youtube (Subscribe):
www.youtube.com/user/KILLJOYAirsoftOhio
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM

buckeyerev is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiimelord View Post
Pictures have been posted to Facebook. You can view them here

Video will be edited and posted throughout the week. Stay Tuned.
Thanks for taking and posting the photos! Priceless!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM

The Jaybird is a Private
Well, my sentiments echo the ones above in most aspects.

At the onset of the game, Link assigned SOKOL (herein referred to as "us", "we", etc.) to Squad Six/Two (which we filled out alongside five other gentlemen, and I led) because the RR/Other Russian guys already had too large of a squad. It seemed as though they really didn't have a place for us, so:

We were first tasked with maintaining a perimeter around our HQ. In time, our scout identified the entire Rouge Ranger team through his scope- dead, bunched up a mere twenty meters from our line. Knowing that they were an objective, we captured them and walked them back to Link, suffering zero casualties.

Once we returned the Rouges back to our barn (and allied them), I rounded up my team to return to our posts... and found three men missing. After taking twenty minutes to look for them to no success and taking casualties and respawning at base, we, as instructed by our Platoon Leader, we went to capture the oil fields, and moved on without them.

To quote Cyber:

There were many memorable moments . . . such as . . . Covering my sun deprived pale arms with mud for camo while running with some crazy guys that actually spoke Russian.

The nine of us crazy guys walked, crawled, and crossed a ridgeline to avoid Tan team. As we approached the Tan HQ (Loading Docks?) we took a break and got dirty to conceal ourselves. When we entered the clearing that adjourned the road, I eliminated the lone guard, and we crossed undetected.

Unfortunately, my radio hails were not received by command- Squad Six had found a computer uplink (which we later discovered was an objective), but we did not complete the circut because we had no solid intel. We instead crossed the No Man's Land that is the Oil Fields.

As soon as we stepped into the open, we were spotted by an enemy force roughly three times our size, so we quickly evaded into the trees and waited for them. Nothing quite describes the tension of lying in wait as the enemy steps near feet from you, and exchanging fire from concealment. We must have been there for the better part of an hour. Luckily, my radio call for backup was heard by JMDECC's group, who cleared the area just before we were wiped out.

At this point, we had run out of ammo, so attempted a returned to base... just shy of a proper resupply. On our way back through the woods, our entire squad was wiped out by a squad on a hill (I received a whack with the ugly stick from a P*'d LMG here, if your remember my f*cked up face).

When we got back to base, I was reprimanded for leaving members of my squad in garrison (the three we had left earlier). Ashamed that I lost them, we regrouped at HQ and I began to rebrief Squad Six... and the same three that had complained about being left behind ran off while I was in the middle of a sentence.

After a quick search, I reported this to Link, and we were told to report to our Platoon Commander, who then directed us to an offensive. We ended up being friendly-fired, and returned to base, where lunchbreak was called.

After lunchbreak, things REALLY seemed to come unglued. The Russians were given a "perk" that started them in an impossible charge across open ground. SOKOL tried to cross to the adjacent woods, but we were eliminated by longer-range replicas. Then the fiasco with the on-site military ensued, and we were given a hard reset.

At this opportunity, SOKOL and JMDECC's group rushed into the woods for cover from Tan. Apparently, my group flanked a little too well, because JMDECC friendly-fired me in the earlobe. It was no problem, however, because our Platoon Medic drew a "grazing wound" (or w/e) card and I was quickly back into the fracas.

From there, we slunk through the woods and supported our Comrades on the offensive. I, among others, noticed a minimal amount of ignored hits and butthurt, but it wasn't inhibiting. The majority of our Squad was eliminated by a Nice-Shooting,-Tex, sharpshooter, so we went back to base to respawn.

When we respawned, Tan was quickly on our tails. We spent the remainder of the game defending our HQ from Tan Team in a quite tense, and honorable, and truly fun back-and-forth firefight.

All-in-all, another fantastic game; thanks OOBI for putting these on for us!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM

JMDECC is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
But hey, we killed most of the tan in that field.
lol, none of my guys seem to remember it happening that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jaybird View Post
At this opportunity, SOKOL and JMDECC's group rushed into the woods for cover from Tan. Apparently, my group flanked a little too well, because JMDECC friendly-fired me in the earlobe.
HAHA I completely forgot this happened. We thought you guys had followed directly behind us and then gone in the opposite direction we went (I will admit, I am not as familiar with the field when the brush is overgrown). We came into contact and took two KIA, I remember looking through my PSO and seeing a head appear.

"Should I shoot?"
"Yeah, shoot. They have to be hostile."
...fires one shot...
"OW, F*CK"
"Oh ****. Was that Jay? JAY..?"
"WHAT!!!!!"

lololololol that made the afternoon for me. Sorry brother, I will do a better job at ID'ing targets next time ...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM

Irish B3ans is a Private
I was the squad leader for Russia squad 4.
Overall a very fun day. Hit calling was great except for a few times when I hit someone with my spring sniper in the gear and they would simply look around. Then It took a hit to the skin for them to call it . But this was rare.

Favorite moments

1. A bunch of the Russians are attacking the LZ with a fury when a moderator walks over and says "an air strike just hit, you are all( about 30 of us) dead" many complained but hey, in fairness it was our fault for clumping together.

2. We are defending the LZ. The rangers are pushing hard to take it. BBs are flying thickly in and around a building housing me and 3 squad mates. Another random Russian runs in all tacticool and returning fire and screaming "enemies inbound everyone prepare for an assault and return fire!" He look around and sees Polarbear on his phone playing flappybird, me eating an MRE poptart, Tanman eating some apple slices, and Warden taking a 5 sec nap. He's like "WTF are you guys doing! They are attacking". I reply " hey, don't ruin our moment here, we are having a snack break" he simply sprints out of the building all angry while me and my comrades burst out laughing. I guess he doesn't know how good a cinnamon pop tart tastes in the middle of a firefight.

3. The day is almost over and a decent number of tan are chilling at the loading docks when I decide to ruin their day. I sit in some brush that matches my marpat and see a large "HOOT" patch on the back of a camel back so I silently pop the helmet showing above it with my spring sniper. He calls hit and the rest of his teammates look wonderingly into the woods. So I nail the next guy who shows his face above a pile of crates. The they get the bright idea of spraying ammo all over the place trying to get a lucky hit while I simply lay back completely protected by my bush. I wait until the fire ceases and then slowly sit up to hear them say, "he either left or we hit him". I reply by sending another BB into someone's shoulder. And once again they spray and pray using up enough ammo to kill 1 platoon. This cycle continues for about 10 minutes with a total of about 8 kills (2 or three of those HOOT . Then I see they have been ordered to move out so they start moving toward the trail. I jump from my hiding, sling my sniper, unholster my gas 1911, and sprint toward the edge of the building. About 20 tan are moving in a large clump. I start spraying the crowd with my pistol when to my great sadness it runs put of gas after 8 shots/kills. The rest of the group turn and hose down my corner and a few strike home on my jacket ending my fun. I know a few people are going to complain that I was separated from my squad and on my own. The reason is we had gotten separated from each other in a firefight. Our last order was to take the LZ so I made my way there and the loading docks were on the way so stopped off the give the Rangers a taste of Russian sniping.

Thank you to all of the moderators for hosting this event, I had a great time.

Last edited by Irish B3ans; 07-21-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:11 AM

buckeyerev is a Private
Talking

"Gentlemen what we have here is a failure to communicate" - words of the great warrior Barney Fife

Jaybird I appreciate that you honorably identified yourself and allocated to the aforementioned charges. Now drop and give me 20 soldier... (Smile)

Rev
Russian Platoon 2 leader
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM

alecmclovin is a Private
I was apart of squad 1-1 for ranger forces.
The beginning of the day started out with tan heading to the back of the field, we were tasked with taking the oil fields, lz, and loading docks. We accomplished all of these with little resistance and it was a good first part of the day.

However, from here it went downhill. I have been to many milsims and understand the standing around and defending things. Heck, all I did for North Korea at blind fury last year was run all over Springfield patrolling and never firing a shot

Diamondback was a little different. After we got to the places we were supposed to hold we ended up staying at them most if the morning.

Russian forces took over our bases a few times and we swapped bases back and forth a few times. Russian forces seemed to be really well organized for the event. Great job to you guys, you were fantastic.

As far as chain of command went for tan squad 1-1 was the most in tuned with command squad and we knew almost nothing. Snipe was a fantastic CO, however not much was sent down from above him so he had to tell all of tan just to sit put and defend. This lead to frustration until lunch.

At lunch tan squad leaders and myself and a few others got together to work on planning and figure out why our leadership was so messed up. Squad 1-4 was tasked with holding the missiles for airstrikes in the kill house, squad 1-3 was tasked with holding the lz and connecting the data cables, and squad 1-1 was tasked with keeping Russian forces away from both the lz and kill house.

Our Russian firefight along the fences after this was really awesome until we were successfully repelled back to the entrance of the kill house before cease fire was called. All I could hear was link yelling and 2 saws cutting down all the plant life around me. What ended up happening with the national guard guys? Please tell me no one actually told that someone didn't actually say "get away from the fence or you will get shot."

After the ceasefire was called there was a while of waiting till forces ended up engaging one another. Soon after squad 1-1 was tasked with a stealth mission. Funny because it's our team name. We ended up behind enemy lines hiding in some bushes for a half hour before attempting to assault the villiage. Our assault was cut short as we stacked up ready to move and we all got mowed down. It was a frustrating end to a frustrating day or Airsoft.

I don't know if the communication problem was the hierarchy or what, but it seemed more like an open play than a milsim op.
Still had fun running with my team. And working with some of the other squads.

Phil (timelord) thank you for making tans day by twerking in the field for us while we were bored.

Bronin of rmg thanks for making an apperence and teaching us how to be oper8tor

Snipe it was a pleasure serving under you. You were definitely the best co I have ever been assigned under.

It may sound like im just complaining, but I am trying to give constructive criticism, and see why there weren't very many objectives. I love OOBI events and dp games and look forward to playing more.

YouTube footage of the day is already up and more will be uploaded soon.
Proverbs 27:19
Jesus Christ is my Savior, ask me anything about Him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/alecmac111
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Cyber is a Private
Jaybird, I would like to try and clarify just what happened with the squad six ordeal.

First and foremost, your math is off a bit. There were six of us that were left behind throughout the day, not three. You see, since your group got on the field a bit late you completely missed the dividing of the squads. There were already six of us in squad 6, including Snake(Jake), Rev, Pap, Okie, Necro, and me. You were added to squad 6 when you got to the HQ. Now, I didn't have a problem with this at first. In fact, we even said one of you could be the squad leader. However, it did seem that there was a miscommunication on who was actually in the squad after the merge, and your group assumed that we were added to you rather than you were added to us. And I'm not talking about who's in charge, I'm talking about just staying together in general. It did not help matters that the merging of squads put the number of players in the squad itself way over the allotted limit for squads,(nine. I think there was at least 15 after that, not exaggerating whatsoever) which did put stress on the cohesion of the squad. Also, I'm not sure who you thought your platoon leader was when you thought you talked to him after discussing our "walking off" with Link, but the platoon 2 leader(Rev) was in squad six and was one of those people that "walked off" so you couldn't have talked to him. He gave you the order to stop reloading and move out with him and the rest of platoon 2(because the designated time to reload was declared over by the admin anyway) and he tried to tell you guys we were moving out and you pretty much just stood around in the barn and kept reloading. And, the fact that you tried to call the platoon leader and a platoon 1 squad answered means that you were not even on the right radio channel.

At some point, not sure it was before or after lunch, with permission from the required authorities and discussing the situation with command, we separated entirely to comply with the limit imposed on maximum players in the squad and end the confusion on who the heck was in squad six entirely. The newly formed squad was masterfully renamed by Necro as "Squad 6.1". After the people in authentic Russian uniforms were allowed to spawn elsewhere, quite frankly we never heard from you again. And neither did the platoon leader for that matter.

No hard feelings, I just want to clarify what happened on our end. Despite all this, it did end up working out in the end. Squad 6.1 rose from the ashes of confusion and kicked some US ranger butt.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmclovin View Post
The beginning of the day started out with tan heading to the back of the field, we were tasked with taking the oil fields, lz, and loading docks. We accomplished all of these with little resistance
Pretty sure the Russians took the oilfields pretty easily between squads 1/2 and 3 (mine) right off the bat

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 PM

The Jaybird is a Private
@buckeyerev
No problem, and twenty given!

@Cyber
First and foremost, your math is off a bit
-My math may have been off a bit, but when we first filed up in the morning and I became squad leader, I only counted three guys from your group at attention. This is my fault.

your group assumed that we were added to you rather than you were added to us
-I don't see the difference in this; IMHO, the Squad Leader (in this scenario, myself)... leads the squad. It doesn't matter who's following who, the squad follows the SL, who follows the PL, who follows the CO...

way over the allotted limit for squads,(nine. I think there was at least 15 after that, not exaggerating whatsoever)
-I counted to twelve at the beginning, which could be the problem here. Counting the three other guys, whom I did not recognize were in the squad, would make fifteen. My bad. But they didn't follow us out to set up the perimeter in the beginning of the game, so I had no way of knowing.

the platoon 2 leader(Rev) . . . you couldn't have talked to him . . . gave you the order to stop reloading and move out with him and the rest of platoon 2
-I never got to reload, as we came in late. Rev told me we were about to move out, so I tried to role-call everyone so I could keep better track of the squad, and you guys moved out. Obviously didn't help the confusion.

you tried to call the platoon leader and a platoon 1 squad answered . . . you were not even on the right radio channel.
-My radio was tuned to Channel 10 by Link himself. The fact that a Platoon 1 Squad came was most likely coincidence.

we never heard from you again.
-We also contacted Administration and CoC and were informed to split the Squad. Our different spawn kept us separated from the main force, as Tan was driving a wedge in the woodline. For the most part, we fell in with JMDECC's group (as we spawned with them) and got pinned down, leaving us locked for the rest of the game. When we came back to base after being killed, Link ordered us to defend the base because Tan was attacking.

No hard feelings
None here, either, brother. It was great running with you guys when we could. The mix-up was exactly that, and a miscommunication. Cheers, and we hope to see you out again!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Osprey is a Private
Did anyone find a co2 pistol?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM

thecodicier is a Private
Ok it looks like we need more input from tan's point of view. I was the second platoon leader for the Rangers. Drenner, I had pointed out our medic in the morning in the parking lot after Jonah had given the morning briefing, but obviously there was a lot of chaos at the time, so I don't know how many people actually got the info.

I tried my very best to stay in communication with all of the squads in second platoon, to the point of being on the radio about as much as I got to play. I had a lot of issues during the morning getting back to me on the net, but everyone was talking well during the afternoon. That being said, I know sometimes people wondered why I hadn't got back with them when they were calling in; it was because I had to go to different channels to contact first platoon and the CO.

As someone had mentioned, Snipe did a great job, and I had pretty good communication with him throughout the day. But, that is pretty much where it ended... I could hardly ever get any info from the CO, and when I would, it was just a brief task, so I had to basically act as a separate unit altogether, hence the relative chaos in the morning, and my setting up a defensive network to the west of the loading docks in the afternoon. In the afternoon, my squad was conjoined with 2-4, and held the hill near the oil fields( sorry about the hit Jaybird! My buddy was using my P* SAW for the event; that thing is mean!) quite effectively. Unfortunately, the command followed the same pattern as in the morning and sent down effectively no information or taskings, so gentlemen of second platoon, I apologize we didn't get to see more action :/
Most of the time in the afternoon was spent waiting to seize a Russian airdrop that had already been dropped and taken; after that I received the mission to find the Russian FOB and call in an airstrike. It went well, and we attempted to assault it, but failed. I admit, I lost my temper while bleeding out near the barn; most of us were dead except for one guy who was lying extremely low in a small ditch near where we were hit. I am guessing whoever was firing out didn't know where he was and assumed he was behind us, and just kept shooting us. I was in a small ditch as well, so I wasn't struck too many times, but there was a kid next to me that was hit so many times he was almost in tears. Not cool. So, I kinda shouted and threatened whoever was shooting him; no hard feelings now haha. Another issue we ran into in the afternoon was that our medic cards had been ruined by the rain and moisture. Anyone else have that problem?

Overall it was a fun experience, but I think it could be improved by perhaps having printouts of the objectives throughout the day and giving them to more of the leadership, so everyone is on the same page and not potentially getting left in the dark. Look forward to playing with everyone again!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
Drew is always the one posing dead for OPFOR, I think it gets him off.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Space Wizard

jonahm740 is a Private First Class
Well I am sufficiently rested and finished with prep for driving way too far for Northern Lights this weekend so it is time or me to post my thoughts.

I would first like to thank the 125 players who came out to support us at this event. As an event organizer it is always great to see that many players give their time and money to play at something you put together and we continue to be humbled by the support you guys give us!

To Devil's Playground and the staff we are always glad to host games there. The field is great for what we do and the staff are absolutely aces making the logistics a breeze for us. Something any organizer will tell you is a welcome relief in the chaos of what we do.

Finally, to all of my OOBI staff and volunteers without you guys we couldn't do what we do. I can write an event that no matter how well put together or thought I out I think it is you guys are the glue that holds it together.

A couple of observations about some of your thoughts and feedback as well as a few observations of my own.

1. The Ranger Rules - When these were developed I had no idea what to expect and what player feedback would be but the second time we put that set through the paces I was thoroughly impressed. Players seemed to have a good grasp on the rules and from what I and the other staff saw they were followed well. We try hard to make the milsim experience imersive and realistic to a point and I feel that the rules we use definitely are a step in the right direction. The one thing that caused the most heartburn from what I can see was the garrison rule. From a staff and CO perspective the value is in game control. Forcing players to retrieve fallen comrades to get to full strength adds a level of stress that I find beneficial. Additionally, it forces teamwork and discourages lone wolfing, something in my opinion that hurts a milsim game more than it helps. That being said, it is a bummer for players who are garrisoned for long periods of time and aren't retrieved by their team. Something we are working on.

2. Objectives and chain of command - For this event there were 14 pre-set objectives printed out and given to their respective commanders. Additionally, there was a staff presence at each HQ available for questions and fragos. Some of the objectives by design were hold here, patrol here etc. The majority however were written and timed to steer conflict and give players a sense of purpose to fight over. I realize that some orders were not communicated or that players generally felt like they didn't know what was going on. The reason we issue the orders to the CO only is because they should be delegating the responsiblity to their platoon leaders who in turn delegate to their squads. I do realize that doesn't always happen so perhaps next game we can be a little more hands on in that regard . As to Alec who said it felt more like an open than a milsim there is only so much as organizers that we can do to set the stage from the objectives, the ruleset and the scenarios we develop. There are some things that are beyond our scope of control and players interactions and behaviors are among those .

3. Sportsmanship - Generally speaking I saw a lot of fantastic sportsmanship with the usual snickers time issues but even those were quickly resolved between the players and staff were not required to intervene.

4. The cease fire - This is a bit of a bummer for everyone. In the afternoon the Russians were pushing hard on the LZ when due to the safety of the National Guardsmen who had no eye pro and were excitedly watching staff onsite informed me of the situation. Rather than try to **** the Russians into the open to the slaughter I made the call for a cease fire reset. While I hate doing this I would rather protect the integrity of the field and individuals safety first. In the future, we will try to find a solution that is more thought out ahead of time (first time I've had this issue) so I do apologize. I would also like to clarify that NOBODY THREATENED THE NATIONAL GUARDSMEN. It was a giant game of telephone that got way out of hand. The individual in question was speaking to the guardsmen informing them we were going to shift away because we didn't want them to get hurt.

Overall I am very happy with the results of this event and the quality of player that showed up. There were several who it was their first milsim and after talking to them on the field they are hooked.

See you all at the next one!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM

As Jonah said the Garrison rule may seem like a PITA, but it forces Teamwork in a squad. That way guys that don't roll with a full team of friends can still effectively fight compared to Rushing Russians, TFE, or SOAR did with squads of just their guys. The whole lone wolf thing may work for picking off few targets or small objectives, but to complete the bigger objectives, you needed 1 or 2 full squads to complete it.

The whole National Guard thing was kind of a buzzkill for everyone in that area, but there was no serious conflict between us to be held.

By the way which team ended up "winning"?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 PM

DrenneR is a Private
@codeicer:
Hey. I was there and paid attetion for the entire debrief in the morning and didn't miss a second of it. not sure how that 2nd platoon medic could of slipped through but it did.
I still had my buddy justin (our SL) call for him a few times over radio on chan 4 and was never replied too.

Anyways, as Platoon leader 2 I thought you did fine. I think communication issues were above you. First encounter in the AM with you we were told to hold west.
Second after lunch we were told we needed to stop a drop at 4pm, we snuck around for like 45 mins and then ended up getting told we were dead for being out of bounds which we didnt realize because we didnt even hear the cease fire due to our sneaky-ness.
but seriously, other then patroling the west I had no idea what was going on the entire day.
I mean literally clueless, which I hated. I had our SL channel up infront of me a few tmies asking what 2-1 was suppose to do and what we heard was "push down the road and kill their asses" lols...Pretty much agree with alec as far as the tan side. Alec, I am sure you or neeraj remember me and justin kinda budding in your post-lunch debreif with snipes so that could actually get some light on what was happening, lol.

still had a pretty great time tho !

DRENNER
OMG05
Ohio Milsim Group
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimgroup

Last edited by DrenneR; 07-22-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 AM

alecmclovin is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Pretty sure the Russians took the oilfields pretty easily between squads 1/2 and 3 (mine) right off the bat
We started out at the back if the field behind the village in the open area near the path. As soon as game was on we all ran straight to the oil fields and no one was there. My squad ended up pushing to the lz because that's where we were told to go, but we were at the oil rigs for a good 5 minutes after game start with little interaction with enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahm740 View Post
As to Alec who said it felt more like an open than a milsim there is only so much as organizers that we can do to set the stage from the objectives, the ruleset and the scenarios we develop. There are some things that are beyond our scope of control and players interactions and behaviors are among those
Then if we were one of the closest squads connected to command and we didn't know anything I'm unsure what happened. Command kept telling us that they passed down all that they heard. O well hopefully next time we will be better informed by superiors.
Proverbs 27:19
Jesus Christ is my Savior, ask me anything about Him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/alecmac111
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 AM

thecodicier is a Private
@ Drenner; I apologize about the medic not getting back with you; he was a buddy of mine, and I think he got overwhelmed(and kind of wanted to be in the fight more), so I actually had some one else from squad 2-4 be the medic for the afternoon. I apologize I wasn't on the net more in the afternoon, I kept waiting for new info to come down and it never really did, so I just had everyone patrol to the West of the Fob, which seemed to bring quite a lot of enemy contact. It was madness trying to shuffle the squads around so squads could be relieved and RTB to pick up their guys. I tried to have an RTO stay on channel 4 while I waited for anything to come in on 5, but it isn't the same as actually being on it. Either way, I would gladly play with all of the guys from second platoon again! Everyone fought hard, and pulled their weight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: