Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Naga is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Naga
SVD Options...

Looking a year or so down the road, I think I want my next gun to be a DMR-style gun. I can think of three options for this: M14, modified M16, or SVD.

The SVD piques my interest for two reasons. First, I never see them on the field, and having a gun that isn't exactly mainstream appeals to me. Second, I just love how they look compared to the M14 and M16.

There are two companies I am aware of making (or are about to make) electric SVDs; Real Sword and Classic Army. Before anyone chimes in with "_____ makes an SVD conversion kit for AKs," those aren't SVDs. Those look like PSLs, which don't hold the same appeal to me as SVDs.

I have heard that the Real Sword SVD is excellent externally, and performs well out of the box. However, I have also heard that because they use a lot of proprietary components in the guns, they don't respond well to upgrades, and finding replacement parts can be a nightmare. This would be a problem for me, because I like to modify my guns. The price tag is also a major issue.

Classic Army is planning on building an SVD sometime in the near future. Coming from a company like Classic Army, it will probably use a lot of off the shelf components, which means it would have more aftermarket support than the Real Sword. It will also probably have a lower price tag. However, Classic Army hasn't released any plans to make one with a wooden stock and grip, and I simply can't stand the appearance of the black plastic furniture on the current prototypes they have shown, so unless someone comes out with a wood kit for the Classic Army SVD, I would also be hesitant to buy it, as well.

Are there any more options to investigate when it comes to an electric SVD? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Kilo11 is a Private
Theres also the JG SVD, though I believe that has a regular AK-47 receiver. The real steel SVD has a modified AK-47 receiver I believe. It doesn't have real wooden furniture either.

"Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing."
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Naga is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilber11 View Post
Theres also the JG SVD, though I believe that has a regular AK-47 receiver. The real steel SVD has a modified AK-47 receiver I believe. It doesn't have real wooden furniture either.
Yeah, I looked at that. Too much PSL. Also, the real steel Dragunov isn't based on the AK-47: http://www.dragunov.net/faq.html#psl
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
http://www.realsword.com.hk/news_12.htm

closest to real you can possibly get. I believe they are made in the same factory too.

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM

Comrade Garcia is a Private
How about a G3 SG-1? CA, TM and JG make them and they'll be more compatible with upgrades. Or perhaps a TM PSG-1? There's also the SL-8 made by Star and CA.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Naga is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Garcia View Post
How about a G3 SG-1? CA, TM and JG make them and they'll be more compatible with upgrades. Or perhaps a TM PSG-1? There's also the SL-8 made by Star and CA.
Because I like the appearance of the SVD too much. Really, that's the reason I want an SVD over anything else. Unless someone came out with, say, a DSR-1 that didn't use gas.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM

WraithRanma is a Private
The JG SVD is utter crap, every review i have read about it said it was horrible.
And yes, the SVD is very different from the Kalashnikov design, for one, the barrel is free floating, drasticly improving accuracy :P I could talk on and on about the design of the SVD but thats for another time :P
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Sidd is a Private First ClassSidd is a Private First Class
A&K has a clone of the AtoZ SVD coming out soon which means it will be be spring powered but extremely accurate

(14:33:39) Agent_Spencer: You just fly into an uncontrollable punching rage with those mother****ers on.
(14:33:48) Agent_Spencer: It's like High Speed Low Drag Hulk Hands.

Last edited by Sidd; 06-24-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Naga is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
A&K has a clone of the AtoZ SVD coming out soon which means it will be be spring powered but extremely accurate
I was really looking for an electric one, since no one seems to make a good gas one, and it's supposed to be semi-auto, not bolt action. Now that the CA one is out, I will sit back and see how it turns out before making any decisions. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Sidd is a Private First ClassSidd is a Private First Class
If you are looking for an AEG based SVD i would definitely suggest the Real Sword. I have seen pictures of it on Arnie's airsoft forum and it is absolutely beautiful

(14:33:39) Agent_Spencer: You just fly into an uncontrollable punching rage with those mother****ers on.
(14:33:48) Agent_Spencer: It's like High Speed Low Drag Hulk Hands.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Kilo11 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithRanma View Post
The JG SVD is utter crap, every review i have read about it said it was horrible.
And yes, the SVD is very different from the Kalashnikov design, for one, the barrel is free floating, drasticly improving accuracy :P I could talk on and on about the design of the SVD but thats for another time :P
Haha I know I know, I was just listing some options.

"Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing."
Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Patches is a Private
I think the Real sword version is a better replica seeing how it has real wood hanguards and a steel body but the Classic Army version is cheaper by about $100. However, for $100 more, Real Sword includes an additional gear set and piston.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Koyote is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to Koyote
Issue with the real sword is that it only goes 300 fps where the CA version is a bit higher at 370 fps. I know when they get the parts in the us I will be upgrading my Ca SVD.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Patches is a Private
Ok, well you can upgrade the spring to shoot at a higher veolcity. I think that (cosmetically at least) the Real Sword SVD is a better replica. As far as internals go though, I am not sure. I think that I will go for the A&K version though

Tags
dmr, dragunov, option, sniper, svd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: