Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM

hannahlandon is a Private
great post...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM

HK is a Private
Send a message via MSN to HK
So I got bored and gave my 10/22 a makeover. Troy T-22 kit. What's nice about the kit is the Troy battle sights that are integrated in the top rail.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Gungnir is a Private

That is so much more beautiful than my 10/22

The artist formerly known as 8 Ball

For Para Cord Survival Bracelets:
http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40274
Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK View Post
*snip*
I wanted to get the tactical model but ended up just modding my original setup. Troy finally released their complete suppressed model.

Still waiting on my can...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM

HK is a Private
Send a message via MSN to HK
This will be nice to do some tactical shooting and not have to brake the bank on ammo.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK View Post
This will be nice to do some tactical shooting and not have to brake the bank on ammo.

iPhone using Tapatalk
More reliable option than a conversion kit
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 PM

binarygod is a Private
Send a message via AIM to binarygod

My first real steel acquisition, 3rd Gen Glock G19

Operations:
Night Archer IV, Backdraft, Own the Night
Training:
G2 CQB, G2 Team Movement Tactics
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
nice stuff.

been making some 10/22 receivers and having some fun with them but just never got tooo far into the wild look yet.

may have to hide one of these in something fancy pretty soon.

heres my last builds of 10/22 & 10/22mag from parts and blanks.....

the first 2 are regular 22lr.

did the receivers and set ups out in the garage and then inlet the factory stock for the heavy barrel... the silver one is pretty much the same functional set up just on a fancy stock and only a 16" heavy fluted barrel with a low buck matching scope... golf balls are no match for this thing. :-)

this is a magnum build on a experimental receiver blank that a friend on our site was going to sell. it was a good bit tougher than the regulars cause with more power comes the need for more precision in the build and these actions just dont have any room for error.

it also has a ALUMINUM fluted barrel with a Lothar insert liner making this gun weigh right at 4lbs. a lot of fun for a magnum.

"Builders helping Builders"
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

DEADBODY is a Private
I thought I seen in the first few pages someone ask about a modernized SKS. I dont think ive seen one posted so I thought I would give it a shot..

She started as a Yugo M59/66 that was beat all to hell and back that I picked up 8 years ago at Ceaser Creek for 100$. I cut the barrel down to a little over 16 and a half inches. Recrowned to 11 degree target crown. Cleaned all the cosmo off, popped on a Prince 50 front sight post, added a Murray spring firing pin and Murray oversized gas valve, pollished the bolt and carrier, did the drop free bolt mod to insert mags with the bolt closed, put on a see through railed receiver cover and then spent hours trying to get it to fit just right into a Tapco T6 stock kit. And then last but not least put some 4 inch G36 rails on the sides. She shoots like dream and barks thunder like a storm!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
you dont see a lot of people put the work in on SKS's...

thanks for sharing that!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Warpig07 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Warpig07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADBODY View Post
I thought I seen in the first few pages someone ask about a modernized SKS. I dont think ive seen one posted so I thought I would give it a shot..
i put mine of the first page, NORINCO, quite a beauty with a sportorized SVD stock

Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM

maglips is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
you dont see a lot of people put the work in on SKS's...

thanks for sharing that!
There's a reason....

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 03-15-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM

DEADBODY is a Private
My bad WarPig, I cant believe I missed that Chinese looker you got yourself there! lol Thats a nice looking rifle!

And as for the "There's a reason.."
Im taking you must be one of them milsurp rifle "purists" aye Mr. Maglips??
Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 PM

maglips is a Private
No, I did the same thing when I first started shooting. I learned from my mistake

I put a bunch of money into an SKS, thinking I could improve it. But at the end of it all, it was still an SKS. The only thing you did that may improve it is to shorten the barrel. Now there's less of the thin walled barrel to flex under recoil. Which may improve it's accuracy a tiny bit. Most Comm Bloc guns suffer from that same affliction, their thin barrels are too flexy, especially when they heat up. They are also handicapped by the 7.62x39 round. The detatchable mag conversion is a definate improvement too. I'm not knocking your gun, but generally, SKS's aren't worth putting much money into. You can make them look cooler, but improveing performance is difficult.

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 03-15-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 PM

WhiteOut is a Private
Quote:

She started as a Yugo M59/66 that was beat all to hell and back that I picked up 8 years ago at Ceaser Creek for 100$. I cut the barrel down to a little over 16 and a half inches. Recrowned to 11 degree target crown. Cleaned all the cosmo off, popped on a Prince 50 front sight post, added a Murray spring firing pin and Murray oversized gas valve, pollished the bolt and carrier, did the drop free bolt mod to insert mags with the bolt closed, put on a see through railed receiver cover and then spent hours trying to get it to fit just right into a Tapco T6 stock kit. And then last but not least put some 4 inch G36 rails on the sides. She shoots like dream and barks thunder like a storm!
That was me, that right there is sexy
MARSOC (WIP)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post
No, I did the same thing when I first started shooting. I learned from my mistake

I put a bunch of money into an SKS, thinking I could improve it. But at the end of it all, it was still an SKS. The only thing you did that may improve it is to shorten the barrel. Now there's less of the thin walled barrel to flex under recoil. Which may improve it's accuracy a tiny bit. Most Comm Bloc guns suffer from that same affliction, their thin barrels are too flexy, especially when they heat up. They are also handicapped by the 7.62x39 round. The detatchable mag conversion is a definate improvement too. I'm not knocking your gun, but generally, SKS's aren't worth putting much money into. You can make them look cooler, but improveing performance is difficult.
As someone who builds guns all the time... I totally agree that the round was only designed for one reason... It was designed to kill people. Not be a tack driver.

Same thing with the ar platform.... Not designed for sniping.... Designed to be an Assualt Rifle. ;-)

We have these debates all the time on our board....

Wanna shoot better,farther? Get a .308 or 8mm mauser..... Or even a nagant...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Warpig07 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Warpig07
Quote:
My bad WarPig, I cant believe I missed that Chinese looker you got yourself there! lol Thats a nice looking rifle!

And as for the "There's a reason.."
Im taking you must be one of them milsurp rifle "purists" aye Mr. Maglips??
ah no harm no foul.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

derp is a Private
lol red great gun ian mintz and i going shooting together thats a beautiful pistol
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM

maglips is a Private
Sdk, I have nothing but respect for your gunsmithing skills, actually I'm quite jealous of them (and your ability to fund them). However I really don't think it's fair to put the AR platform into the same category as an SKS, especially since the topic is centered around upgrading/accurizing. If you took a block stock average AR and put another $500 into it, you could easily get a sub-MOA gun. Put that same $500 into an SKS, and you still have a gun that shoots like an SKS.
I should add that this applies to most shooters, someone with Sdk's skills could probably make an SKS actually shoot.

Last edited by maglips; 03-15-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Certified Elitist

Lu is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Lu
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post
Sdk, I have nothing but respect for your gunsmithing skills, actually I'm quite jealous of them (and your ability to fund them). However I really don't think it's fair to put the AR platform into the same category as an SKS, especially since the topic is centered around upgrading/accurizing. If you took a block stock average AR and put another $500 into it, you could easily get a sub-MOA gun. Put that same $500 into an SKS, and you still have a gun that shoots like an SKS.
I should add that this applies to most shooters, someone with Sdk's skills could probably make an SKS actually shoot.
After agreeing with you Mag, I'd also go as far as stating that most (not all) of the shooters that own more entry level / affordable firearms don't put in the proper range time to become proficient with their purchase, or better said as in the operator can't max out the tool's effectiveness. That being said, I still see shooters all the time with $1000 plus AR rigs that can't keep a 1 foot grouping at 100 yards while guys with off the rack big box store combloc guns who are alittle more seasoned with crap ammo still keeping amazing groups for what their working with.

Guess the devil is in the details as always.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 PM

maglips is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu View Post
After agreeing with you Mag, I'd also go as far as stating that most (not all) of the shooters that own more entry level / affordable firearms don't put in the proper range time to become proficient with their purchase, or better said as in the operator can't max out the tool's effectiveness. That being said, I still see shooters all the time with $1000 plus AR rigs that can't keep a 1 foot grouping at 100 yards while guys with off the rack big box store combloc guns who are alittle more seasoned with crap ammo still keeping amazing groups for what their working with.

Guess the devil is in the details as always.
Absolutely true. The person behind the rifle is more important than the rifle itself.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 AM

DEADBODY is a Private
I agree with all said above. I never really looked at it through the aspect of trying to make an SKS a better weapon system. I seen it as saving a 100$ piece of wood and steel that looked like farmer John used for his walking stick, crutch, and possibly pry bar. LOL ... and for coming in for a little over 300$ for the whole sha-bang, I think I did alright and acquired myself a decent weapon for the price.

SDK, I hear ya on the debate thing. On another board I use to frequent we use to get into page long debates over which weapon system is better for what all the time. Then one guy said a statement which stuck with me... "Weapon owners are like parents, to them their child is the most beautiful and awesome thing in the world. But to everyone else it looks like a big red baboon ***." LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 AM

sdk1968 is a Private
you guys are all right that the shooter is the most important part.

im not a great shooter ... will be the first to admit that.

also NOT a licensed gunsmith. :-) that is a completely different skill set that i respect VERY much.

im a gun BUILDER. way way different than a gunsmith. gunsmiths can set and tune a trigger by OUNCES... not my thing... i'll design a different operation...

the differences between AK's & AR's is kinda like getting into Democrat vs Republicans.

one of the key things said here was by Maglips:

"If you took a block stock average AR and put another $500 into it, you could easily get a sub-MOA gun. Put that same $500 into an SKS, and you still have a gun that shoots like an SKS."

he right, BUT why would you waste $500 MORE on an AR thats still an AR?

think about the purpose of an AR, its an ASSUALT RIFLE..... not a sniper rifle.

the age old argument of well you can turn it into a sniper. yep and you can put a chevy engine in a ford truck. its still a ford truck & an AR is still an AR. as soon as you go back to it being an assault rifle for 1 second and hit a door with it or crack someone in the head... its no better than any other AR again & your $500 poorer. :-)

same for an AK or SKS.

lets break it down by design:

AK: designed for house/barricade/short distances... town fighting... look at the cartridge. its designed for hitting man sized targets at distance of 200M or less.. and honestly that really is pressing the effective range at 100M.

when was the last time you saw an "assault" that was 200m away?

thats why they came out with the ak74 in 5.45... to increase the range out to what the AR was effective.. so lets move on to it.

AR: designed for either up close or at mid distance.... REAL effective range? easy to shoot still at 350-400M.. sure plenty of guys can work them at 500m... but thats NOT what they were actually designed for, because again: you ever seen an assault at 500M?

NOPE, cause thats a different class of gun and its called a BATTLE RIFLE=BR ..

m1 garand, CETME, G3, A10, M14, PSL, nagants, mausers, enfields.... BATTLE RIFLES larger calibers, heavier bullets, better accuracy, more power... more range.

personally id take a garand, mauser or nagant at 500M+ everyday over ANY AK or AR set up.

there's just no substitute for power, speed & accuracy at distance verses a blade of grass ruining your shot.

this was my sniper rifle:

and thats a whole different animal.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

D-Boy is a Private
Send a message via AIM to D-Boy
While I do agree with what you said, I have a problem with the terminology. "Assault rifle" is such a liberal term to demonize something that is military oriented especially when there are plenty of variants that aren't meant to be used in a combat environment. An AR or M14 is a rifle or weapon. Simple.

An AR can be used for longer distance. Last time I heard, Marines still qualify out to 500m. From what I hear from some close friends in the Stan, engagements are far longer range. Iraq was different, but in the current fight, long range marksmanship is worth its weight in gold. While a larger round (7.62x51) would be preferred, there are problems with the rifles that field it with regular infantry units. The m14 is lengthly and heavy as **** and M110 rifles are hit or miss in terms of performance. So falling back to 5.56 platforms, in order to punch out to 500mm, preferably the 20in barrel systems are nicer to have. The problem many vocalize is the lack of optics to successfully PID a target rather than actually engaging the target. The caveat being the M4 is so widely issued now. This is where if one can attain MK262 rounds vs M855A1. The M855A1 is a very good improvement in terms of ballistics over the M855, but is still a 62gr round while the MK262 is a 77gr OTM round. I have it on good authority that a M4 loaded with MK262 mod1 can eliminate threats at 500m. There is also the Mk 318 Mod O which is another OTM round, but 62gr. This has been the USMC's solution for the infantry, however, I do not believe that it is manufactured for the belt weapons. I'll have to talk to my 0331 buddy about that stuff.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. Ron Swanson
Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Mowgly is a Private
Savage 22.
Titan 25.
Neat little guns.
*Others are my dad and brothers.

Last edited by Mowgly; 03-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: