Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Rain is a Recruit Private
Increasing the weight of my G&P WOC?

Well I put my G&P WOC on a scale a little while ago and found that it weighs about 4 pounds. The real-steal M4 weighs about 5.9 pound unloaded and 6.9 pounds loaded. So naturally, being the realism nut that I am, I started thinking about how to increase the BASE weight of the gun, i.e. how to increase the weight without adding a bunch accessories like scopes and grenade launchers. My goal is to make the weight of the gun 5 and a half pounds or above when using only plastic handguards, a carry handle, and triangle front sight, basically a classic M4A1 carbine set up. Here are the upgrades I'm looking at, and unfortunately none of them have their weight listed:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=28192

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=25601

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/ecshop/goods.php?id=4969

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_i...ducts_id=30550

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_acce...andguards.html

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_acce.../RB-A687B.html

The five piece outer barrel isnít an upgrade thatís so much about weight but about converting my M4 into an M16 on the fly. But still, Iím figuring that it's just a little heavier then the stock outer barrel.
Well, thatís it! Can anyone tell me if these upgrades will make the weight roughly five and a half to 6 pounds when the gun is in a standard M4A1 carbine configuration? Thank you!!!

"Aw man, I hate plans... That means we're gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy, or a mission statement?"
-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
Is you gun wired to the front of to the back? Either way you can go to home depot or anywhere that sells steel tubing and sheet metal and make weights for either inside of the hand guards or inside the stock/ buffer tube.

You can also go to a machine shop or even a high school machine trades program and tell them you want a 3/4 inch diameter piece of bar stock about 5 inches long. Wrap it in electrical/ duct tape and slide it into the buffer tube. The tape is just so its not banging around.

As a matter of fact the JLS FN2000 has a weight in the foregrip. It is nothing more than a piece of 5/8ths diameter bar stock about 4 inches long that is decorative nickle plated to it can't rust.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicUnicorn2 View Post
Is you gun wired to the front of to the back? Either way you can go to home depot or anywhere that sells steel tubing and sheet metal and make weights for either inside of the hand guards or inside the stock/ buffer tube.

You can also go to a machine shop or even a high school machine trades program and tell them you want a 3/4 inch diameter piece of bar stock about 5 inches long. Wrap it in electrical/ duct tape and slide it into the buffer tube. The tape is just so its not banging around.

As a matter of fact the JLS FN2000 has a weight in the foregrip. It is nothing more than a piece of 5/8ths diameter bar stock about 4 inches long that is decorative nickle plated to it can't rust.
Thank you for the tip, but it's a gas blowback M4, so it's not wired at all. I can't put anything in the buffer tube because it has a real, functioning buffer, buffer spring, and buffer tube, so if I put something in there then the bolt can't move and the whole gun will jam. I was kinda’ hoping that I could just buy heavier replacements of parts like the body, bolt, etc. etc. I only need to bring the weight up 1.5 to 2 LBS. thanks for the advice anyway though, and if I get another AEG and need to bring it’s weight up, I’ll remember this!

"Aw man, I hate plans... That means we're gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy, or a mission statement?"
-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Last edited by Rain; 02-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
Ah my mistake. I'm still not familiar with all these new GBBR manufacturer designations. Still, anywhere their is room, weight can be added.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicUnicorn2 View Post
Ah my mistake. I'm still not familiar with all these new GBBR manufacturer designations. Still, anywhere their is room, weight can be added.
I'll get heavier replacements for the body, bolt, and whatever else I can replace. If that doesn't work then yeah, I'll add weights. Thanks DemonicUnicorn2!

-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
onsite

If it will take a magpul miad grip you could stuff that full and it's location may not throw off the balance too much. I'm not saying it can take one though so you'd have to check with someone more GBBR familiar than myself.

Found one: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/ai...l?prodID=26841

Last edited by onsite; 02-22-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsite View Post
If it will take a magpul miad grip you could stuff that full and it's location may not throw off the balance too much. I'm not saying it can take one though so you'd have to check with someone more GBBR familiar than myself.
Yup, it can except that grip! Thanks onsite! I'm still wondering though, if the upgrades I listed will bring the weight up to 5.5 to 6 LBS? The prime body is probably the most important. To those who use a prime body, please tell me what it did for the weight of your gun!

-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Last edited by Rain; 02-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Kawaii has been Court Martialled
Get a crane stock and put weights in it instead of batteries? Put weights in the handguard? Weight the pistol grip?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
Get a crane stock and put weights in it instead of batteries? Put weights in the handguard? Weight the pistol grip?
Thank you, Kawaii. And thanks to everyone else who posted, but it seems that my first post wasn't quit understood. My basic question is that I would like to replace necessary parts of the gun like the receiver, bolt, outer barrel, stock etc. etc. with heaver versions. I listed a few parts and would like someone who has used any (or better all) of these parts to tell me if they will make my gun heavier. But seriously, thanks to everyone who's posted here because I may have to add weights if my original plan fails.

-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Archer is a Private
u could get a fore grip to put on a rail system (make sure it is hollow) and do the wieght technique Demonicunicorn talked about but make the bar small enough to fit into the foregrip
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Kawaii has been Court Martialled
The internal parts wont make a huge weight difference except the body and bolt will make slight ones. I think your best bet for larger weight increases would be to weight the furniture.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM

D-Boy is a Private
Send a message via AIM to D-Boy
Uhh, do you know anything about this kiwi? Think about it, if he goes from cheap metal to steel, the weight will increase.
Try to get steel internals. That's your best bet. Might not get you perfectly there, but consider that the typical maxed out TM style M4 AEG weighs more than a real m4. I am guessing the barrel of the real m4 is heavier and the AEG is less, maybe there is a steel barrel?

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. Ron Swanson
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM

MeticulousAssasin is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Boy View Post
Uhh, do you know anything about this kiwi? Think about it, if he goes from cheap metal to steel, the weight will increase.
Try to get steel internals. That's your best bet. Might not get you perfectly there, but consider that the typical maxed out TM style M4 AEG weighs more than a real m4. I am guessing the barrel of the real m4 is heavier and the AEG is less, maybe there is a steel barrel?
As D-boy said, steel is your best bet. I don't know what the body of your G&P is made out of now, but that upgraded body was aluminum (very light metal). You want to look something more like steel or another heavier metal.

On the contrary, Kawaii suggested putting weights in a crane stock, handguard, or pistol grip. In my opinion, this would be a terrible idea, unless done very carefully. You don't want to have a front heavy or back heavy gun. Try to go with a steel body (or another very heavy metal) first and then if that doesn't work, look toward internal components.

Last edited by MeticulousAssasin; 02-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
The internal parts wont make a huge weight difference except the body and bolt will make slight ones. I think your best bet for larger weight increases would be to weight the furniture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeticulousAssasin View Post
As D-boy said, steel is your best bet. I don't know what the body of your G&P is made out of now, but that upgraded body was aluminum (very light metal). You want to look something more like steel or another heavier metal.

On the contrary, Kawaii suggested putting weights in a crane stock, handguard, or pistol grip. In my opinion, this would be a terrible idea, unless done very carefully. You don't want to have a front heavy or back heavy gun. Try to go with a steel body (or another very heavy metal) first and then if that doesn't work, look toward internal components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itailian13 View Post
Heres a steel bolt and bolt carrier http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/...oducts_id=3910
Heres a heavier stock... or t least im guessing. http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=27988
Now this is more like what I wanted to here! Thank you MeticulousAssasin and D-boy, but D-boy, please don't start flaming with Kawaii! My G&P WOC has a metal body, I don't know if it's steel or aluminum. Also, most of the internals are metal. The bolt carrier is metal but the loading nozzle is plastic. Now one of the items on my upgrade list is a heavier bolt and metal loading nozzle. Also, the new 5 piece outer barrel on my list is steel. The outer barrel on my gun right now is aluminum, so a steel outer barrel should bring the weight up a little. Also, A real steal stock will help, too. For those of you who don't know how a WA/G&P gas blowback M4 works, it works basically like a real M4. It has a working bolt vary similar to the real thing and it needs a stock system just like the real thing: a working buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring. A real steal stock is fully compatible and will help bring the weight up because it has a steal buffer tube (the one on my G&P WOC is aluminum) a heavier buffer and buffer spring, and the stock itself is made out of "polymer," not regular ABS. Combine a real steal stock, full steal barrel, real steal "polymer" handguards, and a heavyweight full metal bolt, I should me right where I want to be. I'm not trying to get EXACTLY the real steal weight. The real steal is 5 lbs unloaded and 6 lbs unloaded, so my goal is to have a weight of 5.5 lbs when using "polymer" handguards. The weight will obviously go up about a pound or so to 6lbs when using a rail system. Another thing I thought of is the mags: if I remember correctly, WA mags are heaver then the Bomber mags I'm currently using. If I use genuine WA mags then the gun will be noticeably heavier or lighter depending on whether it's loaded or not. Remember, I only want to bring the weight up a pound or two, I'm not trying to make it a 20 lbs monster!

-Tucker
Red Vs. Blue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: