Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Events > Past Event Comments

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
AAR: Operation Fallen Ground (Comsim 407), Hidden Spring Ranch

In reference to this event: http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/ca...-25&e=1673&c=1

Gentlemen, I do hope you all got a good time today. Not quite the numbers of players I was expecting (we got 71 instead of 50ish) but I think it still went pretty good.

For reference purposes:

Mission #1: Using any major trails on the West field, Tan team had to deliver 2 packages to Checkpoint 4. Each package was available for delivery at two specific time. Player ratio was 2:1 for Tan. 150min Time frame. Civilians were involved.

Results: Package #1 got stolen by civilian. Package #2 made it to checkpoint #4.

Mission #2: Capture the mad scientist Pedro Ramirez at Firebase Alpha. Upon capture, Ramirez had to be brought to Beowntown and wait for further instructions. Players ratio was 2:1 for Tan. 120min Time frame.
Civilian were not involved.

Results: Mr. Ramirez was never found. Antoine Benoit was captured and brought to Browntown by mistake.

Mission #3: Retrieve a POW in one of the building at the airbase. Bolt cutter or padlock key would have to be used to deliver him. Player ratio is one close to 1:1 . 30min Time frame. Civilian were not involved.

Results: The POW was found and freed at the last second but bled out and die in excruciating pain.

As I can't really have a true AAR, I would like to hear back from you about few things;

- How did you like the Tourniquet system?
- How did you like the ACE bandage system?
- Was it an improvement on the typical rope/tape/whatever system we usually have?

- How was the communication today?
- Did the radio work out ok?

- What about the chain of command?

- What else did you like or dislike?

Obviously, you guys are more than welcome to type your own AAR. Give some good, some bad and some suggestions.

I will add missions details and other comments upon requests or as needed.

Personally, I was not impressed with the ACE bandages results. I would say we either allow more than one Tourniquet per player or we stick to one revive only. Many players lost their bandage or simply let it hang all over, which probably helped losing them.

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft

Last edited by Blade; 10-26-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:19 AM

JOK3R is a Private
As tan CO I guess I'd better write this while everything is still fresh.

1st Scenario:
After briefing all of my Squad Leaders and XO it was decided that two squads would go and push on Checkpoint 4 while the other two took the package to the airfield and held there until we received word that Checkpoint 4 was clear. Knight 1 and Knight 2 took heavy contact at Checkpoint 3 but continued to push green. It was then decided among me and the XO that we should begin to move the two remaining squads (Knight 3 and 4) to Gold City and prepare for a push from the other side.
I made a mistake by splitting Knight 3 by sending 1 half of Knight 3 ahead as a recon element to touch base at Gold City. This led to some confusion and would have avoided more of the confusion that has yet to come. After they arrived we began moving what remained of Knight 3 and Knight 4 to Gold City with the package. I informed a member of Knight 4 to grab the package and carry it, but he forgot it at the airfield. Upon our arrival at Gold City, and the realization that the package had been forgotten, there was a scramble to get a recon sized element back to the airfield to secure the package and bring it to Gold City. During this scramble, Knight 2 began taking blue on blue contact from Knight 4 at the same time Knight 3 took heavy contact from Green roughly 100 yards to the North of Knight 2s position. We were unable to identify Knight 2s position, so ultimately Knight 3 and 4 wasted all of the green members and some of Knight 2. Radio communication began to break down slowly and we got unconfirmed reports that we had the package. It wasn't until the element arrived back at Gold City with the package that we knew we had it. I had a member of Knight 4 pull security on the package and told him to stay there as Knight 4 would be staying at Gold City. Knight 4 then sent a small recon element towards Checkpoint 5, and the security unbeknownst to me, left with them. The civilians that lived in Gold City at this point were creating quite a ruckus and adding to the confusion between players. To make matters even worse, we were informed the 2nd package was in play. We sent Knight 1 to Chrono to retrieve it. While Knight 1 was retrieving said package, the civilians stole the 1st package as there was no more security on it, and then shot the XO and myself. Knight 1 got the 2nd package and took it to Checkpoint 4 right as we hit endex. The 1st package was never seen again.

After that scenario, me and my XO got with the SLs and got their AARs to see what could have been done better.

The 2nd scenario began roughly 45 minutes later, Knight 1 and Knight 2 were deployed towards the Southeast side of the field with Knight 1 going to secure Browntown while Knight 2 swept the comm tower and Russian Base. Knight 3 and Knight 4 pushed towards the Refinery from the Airfield while the XO and myself stayed in the air tower running the show from the back. We pushed the green team to the tire pile and Firebase Alpha. All Squads were informed we were looking for a scientist working for the enemy, possibly wearing a lab coat, by the name of Pablo or Pedro Ramirez. Knight 3 and Knight 4 took heavy contact upon pushing up the hill to the North of Firebase Alpha while Knight 1 and Knight 2 encountered equally tough resistance to the North, but due to their superior firepower, they did not suffer as much as Knight 3 and 4. At this point me and the XO decided to move up to Browntown to try and stamp out the communication issues that were being had due to the hills on that side of the field. Upon arriving at Brown town we found nobody there and set up in the 2 story. 15 minutes later we started taking heavy green contact from all sides while me and the XO plus two stragglers struggled to hold the green force back. Running low on ammo and our numbers dwindling with the issue of being surrounded, we were informed that we had the scientist and all elements were returning to Brown town to assist. Upon Knight 1, 2, 3, and 4s arrival at Browntown, they made quick work of the Green Force and pushed them back. The scientist, however, was not searched properly and proceeded to kill a few tan members before I was able to subdue him. He constantly was repeating his name as "Antoine" and not "Pablo" or "Pedro", but none of it clicked until endex.

3rd Scenario:
As my XO was very sick (during the 2nd Scenario, he threw up and got a kill at the same time, pretty baller right?) He returned to staging while I stayed at the airfield with my team. Most of the team had done the same, so I joined up with one of the remaining squads just to have fun. We began clearing building after building, pushing green back. We got to the building that unbeknownst to us, the prisoner was in. We breached from the West windows and the South door and made quick work of the green team. But the green team guys that had been killed stood in the way of the prisoner so we could not see him, and tan left the building to continue clearing other buildings. With 30 seconds to go, we were able to get Steppes back to that building with the bolt cutters to free the prisoner.

The Medic system was great, except for the ACE bandages. I believe a better system would be a one revive rule before having to be revived by a Platoon Medic or return to a tan controlled area.

Communication was great. It lasted all the way up till we hit Gold City during the first scenario and the entire way through the 2nd. The 3rd was more visual than verbal communication and it also worked well.

I would like to thank a few people for the event yesterday. First of all Kim, for allowing us to play at such a great field. Second, Blade for allowing me the chance of being the CO and Shawn the XO. I hope to repeat this at your events in the future if you'll let us And finally, my squad leaders Jerry Altes, Christian Sholder, Andrew Harmon, Sky, Roger Henry, and all squad members.

See you all next time.

Hail Crye,
made of nylon,
the Gods have crafted Thee;
blessed art thou among gear
and blessed is the fabric
of which you are made
Thy holiest fabric, Crye Precision.

Holy Crye,
Father of all kit
save us sinners now,
and let us Crye rather than die.

Last edited by JOK3R; 10-26-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM

bigaltes is a Private
blade I would like to say thank you for a great day of pew-pew on Sunday.
loved it and some of us will be picking up another one

like that also, one of our teammates got there after you ran out of them, so he had to use ONLY 1 ace and he was fine with that.

- Was it an improvement on the typical rope/tape/whatever system we usually have?
I think it is a big improvement, i would like to see the ace bandage still being used till more players can get the Tourniquet or get a back up Tourniquet

It was good for the most part, was able to talk to the people I needed too for most of the day

Yes

over all our squad was happy, a few guys acting way too serious, but that happens.

loved that Blade had a few teammates out in the field working on messing with our heads while we was fighting ( fog of war ), great job on them stealing the bag from tan in the first mission. But you guys knew that **** was not going to work with my squad
Thank you Engler for a great job as CO, and thank you Knight 2 for a fantastic squad, we worked together for most of the day and it made a difference.
Blade I think this was one of your best small games to date, I wont lie, in the beginning I thought it was going to turn into another open play, but you stuck with your plan and it worked out to be a winner.
Sorry our squad had to leave before Mission#3, had a few guys that had to get back home, did not have a chance to say by, so we left our CO hanging and for that we are sorry.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 AM

rondeb22 is a Private
I have horrible memory, so instead of a proper AAR, I'm going to go over some of my favorite moments and then answer the questions.

For scenario #2, I was temporarily Knight 3 after Sky disappeared. After sneaking up the backsteps to comm center, we got ready to assault, and immediately got ripped into by an MG. I still have no clue how I didn't get hit. After that, it was me and 3 or 4 other live dudes keeping back and waiting for reinforcements. After getting reinforced by Knight 4, we pushed towards the "doctor" and got wiped. While respawning, we ran into some bikers, one of whom didn't have full seal eye pro. We had to call blind man when a lone green started firing around them.

I was one of the dudes that Antoine shot.

Scenario 3, I got to use the bolt cutters to free the prisoner, but unfortunately he bled out before my eyes.

I dig the tourniquets. I agree that a buddy heal before being required to go to a platoon medic is a good idea.

Commo was good, when everyone had their radios on.

I always like a good CoC at events, it adds to realism and cuts down on confusion.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Vicious is a Private
I like it much better than the 60 seconds

Same as above

Rope can be used the same, however we use to still have to do 60 seconds with rope. Remove the 60 seconds, and just tie the rope is the same as the tourniquet.

For most part I was on a squad channel/admin channel. Between strikers it was fine. When I switched over to 8 or 10, it seemed that people responded quickly.

Yes

CoC was good, could've been better though. (When can't it be?) The one thing that is always difficult is making sure the proper information is being passed down.

Now as of my overall AAR. I felt it was very successful. However I was very frustrated and disappointed on a few things. There was a tan team wearing green tops when I saw a few of them having normal multicam blouses underneath. I don't know why they decided to mismatch when they had the proper cammies. (Attempt to throw green off? That's unfair.) Now I understand this MilSim event was mostly to get people to get in the mind set of milsim. However I know Blade preached it several times and I have as well. LOOK ON THE AO EVENT PAGE. I saw a lot of guys coming unprepared and asking very simple questions which could've been answered on the AO event page.
Some people came with high caps, and someone came in no cammies at all. I undersand if you are new to airsoft and wanting to try it out. So I'm not to upset about that, but look for an open play. There is were you learn the basics. I consider this event to be more of an Milsim Open play. Where you learn about the milsim experience and get ready. I know a lot of people certainly took away from this event. Especially getting intel from players, and making sure you guard objectives. (The bag Grimm and I stole, then coming back and assassinating the CO and XO, and a few others. Me as the actual Pedro. Learning how to properly interrogate someone.)
After Grimm and I stole the bag, (Mostly Grimm) when we were finally hunted down and brought back to the CO and XO you just asked. "Where's the bag." As civilians, our job was to eat time and cause you to slow down. You never really pushed us for the information. If you would've "threatened" me, I would've told you. So we just lied as natural human beings would in that situation unless under direct pressure. (Also you never actually searched me for intel. Just disarmed me.)
I had only a little interaction with Green today. Peck gave Glitch and I a small squad to set up during mission 2. We did a good job, and from what I could tell my squad. (Bravo I believe) Did a very good job holding out as long as they could. Grimm, myself and another person named Keith I believe. (Peck is that your son? He looks like a younger version of you.) Did a very good job holding the rear of Fire base Alpha. I was dug in deep and made sure they weren't able to advance even after Grimm and Keith left me. But of course I was finally hit. I had several tan guys around me, but none searched me for intel. (If they did I would've said my name was Pedro.) Now as green were being killed off, we tried to gather as many together as we could by browntown. That's when we noticed Tan was there and believed if they were holding it, it should be worth something. So as we attempted to assault Brown Town, tan came from behind and reinforced them wiping us out.
Misson 3 was fun, green dwindle majorly in numbers, but so did tan. It was pretty even. We did a great job holding off as long as we could. Once I was out it was fun to hear the time tick away while Sam with the bolt cutters was on the other side of the field. Hahah.

Now as of gameplay: I only heard a few people getting angry at hit calling which is good. I quickly addressed an issue outside of brown town and spoke with both sides. Letting them know we won't tolerate cheating, and if we catch you doing so, you're done. Now I was happy that both sides listened and just agreed and we went on playing. However I was very very disappointed and angry that I encountered a cheater myself. In fact he was part of one of the groups I spoke to earlier I believe. During the final mission I leaned out of the window to get someone around the corner, I took two shots clearly hitting him in the side/back. (He was standing in the open.) After I took my shots, I got hit called myself out. As I leaned back out the window after being shot to see if that guy I shot did call it, he was gone. Clearly he ran into the building after I hit him. Later on I saw him, and no tourniquets or ace bandages applied to him. I informed the tan CO and another tan squad lead to keep and eye on him. I didn't bring it directly to him since it was already the end of the day and over. But that just aggravated me. Especially after I spoke with them earlier. Now I do understand he may have not felt it to be fair. I agree to that. However apparently I wasn't the only one who had an issue with this person that day.

We need to make sure we are being honest, and call our hits. If you are with a team mate and you see, or hear the BB hit them, but they don't realize it. Inform them. If you want to help keep this community going and make it stronger like it use to be. Honesty, good sportsmanship, and integrity make this community.

Anyways great day, good job by everyone! Hope to see you all out there soon.

Last edited by Vicious; 10-26-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:47 PM

dpeck4753 is a Private
As the CO of the Green Forces, it was an uphill battle all day against superior numbers and seasoned veterans.
Scenario 1: Convoy
Green Forces were ordered to prevent Tan Forces from getting the packages to OP4 and he over them if possible le. The strategy was to harass enemy forces along the upper trail, observe enemy movement and retrieve the packages if the opportunity presented itself. Bravo squad was tasked with holding OP3, Charlie squad was asked to hold OP5, with Alpha dug in at OP4. This would allow all approaches to the observation post to be covered.
Bravo encountered the first enemy assault at OP3, and we're forced to abandon the site. Once they regrouped, they conducted clandestine raids against enemy forces when the chance was given. Good communication with this squad gave the CO a good picture of what Tan was up to. Eventually they were called back to take up positions around Firebase Bravo and the main trail to OP4.
Charlie patrolled the area outside Gold City and OP5. This squad quickly became a reconnaissance unit relaying good Intel of the happenings in the city. With the information provided, the CO was able to redeploy the defenses of OP4.
Meanwhile, Alpha deployed their sniper team to cover the crossroads between OP3 and OP4. Once they located the main enemy body of forces, the were exfiled out and back to OP4 to watch the approach from Gold City. The rest of Alpha took up defensive positions around the observation post.
Eventually, the multi prong assault by enemy forces was to much to stop and superior numbers prevailed despite an admirable defense by Green.

Scenario 2:
Our original mission parameters were vague, with the only order being to defend Firebase Alpha. The plan of action was to use Bravo and Charlie squads to defend the main trails, while Alpha would hold the Firebase. Our special forces advisors (Strikers) would position the forward defenses and act as the QRF. Upon arrival, a scientist was discovered working on an experiment that needed more time to be completed. The medic for Alpha was ordered to keep the VIP under guard and alive.
Enemy forces probed the perimeter of the Firebase with the initial assaults being repulsed. During this time, all contact with Bravo was lost. Charlie was recalled to tighten the perimeter and fill any gaps were needed. Eventually, a two pronged assault overwhelmed the Firebase and Green Forces were overrun.
I witnessed heroic efforts by individual Green Forces and tactical ingenuity by Alpha, Bravo and Charlie squads. I would like to commend everyone who signed up for Green, and stayed with the unit on the day of the event. I also want to say that the unit communication was nearly perfect, and your gamesmanship surpassed my expectations. It was my honor to serve as your CO, and I hope I get the privilege again someday.
Thank you to Strikers for the comraderie and the chance to battle along side your team. I want to extend a sincere thank you to Blade for allowing me the opportunity to be the CO of the Green Forces. I gained a lot of valuable experience and knowledge for the next time...hint-hint
All in all it was a great day to sling BBs

*I can not speak about the tourniquet system do to the fact I bled out each time.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 PM

Glitch is a Private First Class
All in all was a good day. With the numbers we were facing, I felt that green held their own quite well. Thanks Peck for letting us join up and add to the resistance of tan onslaught.

Tourniquet system was great, totally keep it to this.
As we discussed in the other forum post, I now agree that the ACE bandage might be an easy way out. Definitely an improvement.

Comms, CoC, all went well.

It was tough that we had the daunting disadvantage in numbers, but it was still a fun day. Realized I have some tuning to do with my rifle.

Besides that I always enjoy the comsims and seeing all my buddies out there, even if they're not wanting to "party on dude"

Addition:Food after was a great idea, totally something we need to expand on to take the community to an atmosphere off the field where connections/relationships can be made

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Be the change you want to see in this community.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 PM

Panda is a Private
Personally, I found the tourniquet system to be a lot better than I had expected. I think it adds a more realistic way of dealing with casualties. I found that it's less cut and dry than the traditional 60 second count and it isn't something you can cheat unless someone put the tourniquet on themselves or had it out and on their arm waiting for the medic to officially attach it, but I had none of those problems. The ACE bandage, on the other hand, was alright, but sometimes I struggled to put it on since the bandage clips bent and failed to catch onto the bandage and I was often just tying it on so that it would stay on.

Definitely keep the tourniquet. I liked how you made it a requirement, although I was under the assumption that it was either the tourniquet or the ace bandage and not both. Regardless, that's a fault on my part that cost me (or more appropriately those around me) an extra 10 dollars. Eliminating the ace bandage completely would be okay in my opinion, but I would allow at least one other tourniquet to be used in its place. Maintain a one tourniquet requirement and allow another optional tourniquet to be carried for another revive. No more than 2 tourniquets, 3 at the max, should be allowed to prevent people with a dozen tourniquets all over. The reason I say 2 is because one per arm makes more sense than putting multiple on one arm, and putting a tourniquet on the leg is asking for it to fall off.

As far as radios, it's always hard using handheld radios through the dense vegetation and at longer distances that are had on the field. However, these weren't issues on the event's part. Failures in communication are the player's error. However, I think standardization of radios is a good move. The radio setup for Tanfor was a command channel and individual squad channels. CO, XO, and SLs were on command channel while squad members were on squad channels. It would be more efficient and realistic, however, for squads to have an RTO that is on the command channel rather than the SL. It would make it easier for SLs to communicate to the squad if he doesn't need to switch channels constantly and the RTO would stay close to the SL and relay information from command to him so that he can do what needs to be done.

Chain of command was good. Again, nothing on the fault of the EO. Our failures were our own. the CO (PL in real terms) needs to take his mission and break it into squad-sized objectives. The XO (PSG in real terms) then takes these objectives and gives it to the SLs to further break the mission down to his subordinates. There were instances of chain of command being jumped and orders being given without going through the proper channels. It's called a chain of command for a reason: things go up and down it. When you break the links, it weakens the structure. Nothing to be upset about (this is a game after all), but for those that attended or who are reading this, that is something to learn from.

I have always enjoyed Springfield ops. The missions are always great and this event was no different. I loved trekking all over the field and not having the airfield as an objective. It made land navigation and communication that much more important. The missions definitely relied on a whole team effort. I brought a friend from Army ROTC and he loved it. He said it was everything he liked about our field training exercises but with everything that he wished our field training had, namely actual combat. I'll definitely be bringing more cadets throughout the year.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Be smart y'all.
"I like balls"-Panda
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM

JOK3R is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
As far as radios, it's always hard using handheld radios through the dense vegetation and at longer distances that are had on the field. However, these weren't issues on the event's part. Failures in communication are the player's error. However, I think standardization of radios is a good move. The radio setup for Tanfor was a command channel and individual squad channels. CO, XO, and SLs were on command channel while squad members were on squad channels. It would be more efficient and realistic, however, for squads to have an RTO that is on the command channel rather than the SL. It would make it easier for SLs to communicate to the squad if he doesn't need to switch channels constantly and the RTO would stay close to the SL and relay information from command to him so that he can do what needs to be done.

Chain of command was good. Again, nothing on the fault of the EO. Our failures were our own. the CO (PL in real terms) needs to take his mission and break it into squad-sized objectives. The XO (PSG in real terms) then takes these objectives and gives it to the SLs to further break the mission down to his subordinates. There were instances of chain of command being jumped and orders being given without going through the proper channels. It's called a chain of command for a reason: things go up and down it. When you break the links, it weakens the structure. Nothing to be upset about (this is a game after all), but for those that attended or who are reading this, that is something to learn from.

The comm channels were set up in a rush since we had to put squads together last minute due to teams switching to tan and people not properly RSVPing The original intent was to have RTOs but was scrubbed at the last second.

As for the broken links in the CoC that was my fault. I am personally used to leading much smaller elements and the event was a learning curve. I apologize for that. And after you brought that issue up after the 1st scenario it was remedied for the 2nd scenario. Thanks for the input Panda.

Hail Crye,
made of nylon,
the Gods have crafted Thee;
blessed art thou among gear
and blessed is the fabric
of which you are made
Thy holiest fabric, Crye Precision.

Holy Crye,
Father of all kit
save us sinners now,
and let us Crye rather than die.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 AM

JMDECC is a Private
I'll start by answering some questions...

The tourniquet system was awesome. I am a huge fan of this and hope that it becomes standard. It beats the 60 seconds hands on and as a few have already stated, it keeps players from cheating by using their own interpretation of '60 seconds'....

The ACE was okay. What was annoying more than anything was that some players didn't seem to understand how to properly tie the bandage off. There was one instance where a medic tied mine off so poorly that I looked like a mummy unraveling. Aside from that it is a good addition and was aesthetically pleasing (players actually looked wounded).

Huge improvement. Always thought the rope was kind of stupid. This was handy, realistic and much more functional.

I was not a SL for once so I can't say. I did monitor the command channel and it the communication issues were a result of either the terrain or a single player specifically (they may have had a radio, but didn't always respond, or maybe it wasn't transmitting effectively/loud enough). Overall I'd say communication was decent. We used more hand signals then radios for inter-squad communication. Things like hand mics are handy but they don't conceal noise very well. Today was the first day in awhile I didn't run my comtacs and I found myself turning my radio way down or completely off depending on the situation.

See above. The only thing I can add is requiring RTO's - people who have radios that absolutely 100% are charged, working and audible.

Chain of Command seemed to work pretty well. I will say this: CO/PL's need to have more of a "do this, do not question it" attitude when issuing orders and SL's need to be more receptive and listen. We are replicating a Chain of Command, that means the person labeled CO is a higher 'rank' than you and you should be following what they tell you. There were a few too many instances where I saw members of various leadership positions wasting a lot of time talking and arguing about what they should be doing instead of going and doing what they were told. Not every order should be fun, nor should it make sense. If they issue you orders that don't turn out well, then that is just the nature of the beast. The same pretty much goes for 'good' orders too. Good and bad decisions reflect upon the leaders abilities. If he sends you in the right direction consistently, he might just be a good commander. This is not a criticism either, it is a suggestion for improvement. Like I stated, the CoC was pretty spot on, but given the crowd we had, I think we can continue to improve it.

1)Tourniquets
See above.

2) Radio requirements.
Again, radios worked out pretty well. Adding RTO's in the future will further improve communication I believe.

3) Missions.
This is the reason I keep coming back to Springfield. Long, involved missions using actual tactics and not just bumping around the woods trying to find some bad guys to shoot at. The first mission specifically could not have been setup any better. It goes down in my book of one of the best missions I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

4) Implementation of CoC/Squads.
This event would not have come close to being as awesome as it was if there hadn't been such a focus on establishing Squads and a proper CoC. Lining everyone up before they step off, having them get acquainted and designating individual roles, giving each squad call signs, having the team leaders meet, etc. all was highly beneficial. This needs to be done every single time there is a comsim.

5) Semi Auto only except for Support Weapons.
Never change this. Please. I can't even begin to tell you how much this changes the game and how valuable the AR position becomes within a squad. SAW's literally made the difference between winning and losing in several of our engagements.

6) The civilian/role player twist.
It gave the game a very interesting twist. My only wish is that we had more specific direction regarding what we could and couldn't do with the civilians. I didn't know until almost an hour into the game that we could actually disarm them and capture intel. I thought they were to be seen as a possible threat or serve as an annoyance originally.

Dislikes:

1) Hit calling.
Come on guys...how many times do we have to go through with this... I only had one real instance where I was extremely annoyed. Towards the end of mission 1 I saw a guy on green and started shooting at him. I could very clearly see I was hitting him and gave him the benefit of the doubt when he turned around and started shooting at me (sometimes you can't feel it, we were at a pretty good distance). What really annoyed me is after he turned, I continued to shoot at him and continued to hit him. He would literally twitch each time a shot hit him and I finally called out, "C'mon dude, I can see my shots hitting you." His response? He shrugged and was like, "Oh, okay!" and then put his dead rag on. I expect this kind of stuff at an open play, not a comsim.

2) Respawns.
The 300ft out of action respawn rule works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. I wish I had a better solution but I really don't. Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with something better. The reason I complain is because of something that happened during the afternoon. We had just killed quite a few green guys after a long drawn out firefight. After securing our objective and pulling out of the area, the green guys we killed followed behind us with their dead rags on, waited until we walked a ways down a trail, took their dead rags off and shot all of us from behind. It wasn't very sportsmanlike.

3) Lunch.
For the comsims, I think lunch needs to be moved to later in the day. The first mission was great. The cohesion was there, the missions were there, the players were all into it. It would've only been better if it had been longer. I think in the future there needs to be one grand mission during the morning portion (instead of around 2 hours, maybe extend it to 3 or 4), THEN a lunch break, some smaller squad based stuff and then the usual airfield shenanigans at the end. I really felt like halfway through the afternoon portion a lot of the momentum was lost because of the lunch break. I don't attribute that to this particular event though, I have noticed it at every one of the comsims I've been to in the last year. That is just my personal opinion though.

4) IFF
I understand that there were some issues with people mixing green/tan and not wearing full BDU's etc. But people need to pay better attention and take time to identify their targets. During the afternoon portion Post and I had swung around our squad in an L shape to hit the few bad guys that were left from the side. Post took the last few guys out, then we emerged from the brush and walked out into the road. We started talking to some guys in our squad when suddenly I get shot from the side. I turn around only to see a guy on tan from another squad emerge. I sat there and thought to myself...here I am, in full multicam (not a trace of green on me) standing in a group of about 4 other people also wearing multicam, and I still suffer from blue v blue. I don't think there was ever a more appropriate moment for a facepalm. Pay attention guys! Take the time to ID your targets in the future! This was not the only blue v blue incident we had either. The morning was full of them when we were trying to link up with the rest of tan at Gold City.

Now for my actual AAR:

There were two particular moments during the morning portion that I think will always stand out to me.

The first:

I was a part of Knight 2. We began patrolling the main road towards CP4 to basically determine how hostile it was. I was second to the pointman. Just outside of CP3 we started hearing movement up ahead. We knew we were about to come into contact. Jack (Preacher) went to clear the building that is CP3 and immediately eliminated at least one guy inside. However, green was smart and had 2-3 guys on the opposite side of the road who opened up on us. At our rear, we had a few more green guys move up the hillside and start engaging as well. Myself and Drew (Bronco) got hit and went down. We got healed pretty quickly and started suppressing the woodline. We got lucky and killed one guy, but we couldn't locate the other two and continued to lay fire down into the brush. Christian (Viper) got on comms with Knight 1 and had them sweep the low ground to eliminate the bad guys that were hitting us on our six. They did a great job of mopping up that threat. However, we were still having trouble advancing forward because of the two guys still located somewhere across the road. We ended up having Post fire a tag round into the general area of the enemy fire and it was successful. It killed at least one of the guys, if not two, and stopped the firing from that area. We advanced a fire team across the road and secured the area so the rest of the squad could pull up. Not long after securing the road into CP3, we saw a few green guys about 60 feet up the road towards CP4 either digging in for a fight or preparing to ambush us. We had Langan (Whiteout) and Luke (Little Glitch) use their SAW's to suppress the position from the left side of the road, and then slowly had a fire team bound up on the right side towards it. When we got there, the enemy had pealed out. We continued to bound forward using this same method until we reached another set of crossroads. Here, we found ourselves engaged with green once again even closer to CP4. We organized ourselves into a pretty good all round defense type position and completely repelled all of greens attack.

This portion of the scenario was awesome. It was one of the best squad movements I've ever seen at an airsoft event. Everything from suppressing fire to proper communication and quick organized movement was near perfect.

The second:

This occurred during the same scenario. Knight 2 was sent all the way around the field to hit CP4 from the rear. It was a fun patrol and it allowed me to see a part of Springfield I haven't really seen before. The terrain back there (and leading up to CP4 especially) is awesome and I would love to see it utilized more. We eventually approached CP4 right as two other squads (Knight 1 and 4 I think?) began assaulting it from the front. We were able to sneak right up behind green, who had their backs turned against us, and open fire on them. We took out a few guys, took a few casualties, but ultimately were able to secure CP4. It was one of the coolest, most coordinated assaults I've ever seen at an airsoft event. Even if we technically did run out of time, we absolutely nailed that attack.

Coolest death of the day:

During the second half, a kid on green managed to shoot me in the left eye (not literally) and then immediately followed up with a shot to the heart. Outstanding marksmanship, whoever you were! Totally awesome kill/death.

All in all, this was a great event. I loved it, especially the morning portion, and I cannot wait for the next comsim. I've enjoyed every single one I've been to so far more than just about any other event. I think this one takes the cake as my favorite because of the group of high quality players we had come out. I can only hope that we get a lot of the same people (and more!) out next time.

Blade, keep doing what you do and I'll keep coming back!
Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM

viper is a Private
LOVED IT. It was so much better than 60 seconds hands on. Find the Tourniquet, rap it and strap it then go.

Double LOVED IT. Taking the tourniquet off placing the bandage on, then the tourniquet on top, makes it harder and last longer under fire. Dont stop using it.

(Bonus- Not having any and forcing the late players to have a disadvantage was excellent. Stay on that.)

Absolutely.

It was solid. Probably one of the best in a long time in all honesty. Give credit to Joker our Tan CO for keeping this solid.

Yes. I had no problems as I use a rather large antenna so if you want me to have comm problems you gotta get me to F*** Mountain to start having issues. Other people did though. Joker did an excellent job having myself and others relay info on to those who were out of range.

As far as info getting passed down to me, (SL of Knight 2) and down to my squad and back up. It was on point.

Tourniquets

Radio requirements.

Missions.
For whatever reason Blade, you make this stupid simple missions and I always have a blast. Except that one time we just moved equipment around the field for you -_- That was the only bad time though

Semi Auto only except for Support Weapons.

The civilian/role player twist.
We werent ready for it. However if they are going to be civi/role players dont let them be in camo and have guns. Bad mix when we are fighting Tan on Green.

Dislikes:

Hit calling.
There were some SERIOUS problems I saw.

Respawns.
Awful. Sorry but 300 feet out is awful and I can't stand it. The amount of green troops that decided, oh I will walk 300 feet behind tan and sneak up behind them was too many. Uncalled for. I suggest doing what some other EOs have done for their events and when someone dies the squad is either responsible for moving the dead back to base or they die and go back to base and wait for their squad to come pick them up.

IFF
I was expecting more. The amount of blue on blue we had was too much. Like this shouldn't have happened but there were a couple times my squad was getting full out attacked by our own team.

AAR:

I am keeping this simple as everyone else has done a good job sharing my thoughts. Knight 2 you guys rocked it. Seriously. I said we were going this way and I never got flack. Ever. Not one of you backed up against what I said and said I don't wanna do that. We stayed together the WHOLE time. Whoa. This doesn't happen. But it did, and I will forever expect this. Even when I gave orders to move forward then we got called back, then sent back out, called back, and back out again, there was never any screw this, forget it. You guys just rolled the eyes and moved where we needed to. If I could have you all as a squad every time, I would ask to have that same group every time.

CO and XO, thought you guys did really well. I know when you are at base looking at a map you can get unsure of where your troops are but I kept my guys where you told me to go or where I said I was going to be.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Mist00014 is a Private
Overall a great event, though there are a few things I would change. One would be the spawn system, I understand that while the 300 ft rule gets you back in the action the quickest, it is far to easily abused. I had two green guys declare that they were 300ft from the action 20 ft behind me, at wich point I watched them put away their dead rags and then proceed to shoot me. A couple of tan guys who were also nearby quickly took them out at which point we explained to them what 300ft from the action meant. I think a couple of mobile spawn points might fix this. Another issue was the briefing, civilians, and how to deal with them, wasn't mentioned at all. The fact that we could search people also wasn't mentioned, which would have been helpful when dealing with hostile scientists. I also think that letting the medics all carry a certain number of tourniquets and eliminating the ACE bandages might be an interesting way to improve the medic system.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:50 PM

Regan is a Private
Alrighty time to finally write this one up!

Yes! Much better than the 60 second medic rule!

Quote:
Eliminating the ace bandage completely would be okay in my opinion, but I would allow at least one other tourniquet to be used in its place. Maintain a one tourniquet requirement and allow another optional tourniquet to be carried for another revive.
This is where I believe the tourniquet system in conjunction with the ace bandage shines. I disagree with completely eliminating the ace bandage for the fact that.

>one hit, tourniquet. Quick, effective, realistic. Good to go.
>>second hit, take tourniquet off, put ace bandage on, then put tourniquet back on. Takes more time, thus simulating more realistic medical attention for a second hit.

At first I was confused as to why Blade required the second hit to take the tourniquet off, put ace bandage on, then put the tourniquet back on, but the timing simulation made sense. However, I believe more rules makes for more "cheating" or "breaking the rules" either since people don't understand the more complexed additition of rules, or simply don't care. So maybe another way of adding more time to the second hit with less steps could be in order. Possibly? Just thinking out loud there

Strong yes, reasons listed above.

Communications within Knight 2 and from Knight 2 to command were up and running most of the day with here and there issues, but nothing memorable or out of the norm. I believe more and more people are moving to a baofeng so comms are getting better as a whole since the community generally recommends them.

CoC was great on Tan! So far as relaying info from eyes on the ground to RTO to SL to XO/CO, information passed smoothly both ways. That was MUCH appreciated, on both ends. Radios worked well and everyone on each end knew their proper radio etiquette.

AAR:

The day went on well, coordination between the squads was well conducted. Kudos to XO and CO for knowing their sh** and picking SL's who could conduct business.

I would say my main complaint for the whole day would be that we lost the bag to civilians in the first scenario because someone neglected their duties... on a scale of 1 to cool thats a nah brah. But it's a game so no biggy, just learn from it and SL's take better charge of their squads. If that's the main complaint of the whole day... I can live with myself!

So far as hit calling and sportsmanship goes, I actually didn't first hand experience any issues! I was pleasantly surprised and definitely happy! I did hear about something from Vic however I never got confirmation of which player it was, so I didn't personally address it further. That was my fault, I should have addressed it during our briefing before the second and third scenario. I feel like that is something I should have done, but something that we could all do as well. So I'll start saying something to our teams/ groups/ friends/ etc.. during breaks and such. Past that pass it up to the EO/ staff and keep on playing! Again not much of an issue this game, so I was pretty happy! I think this comes out of the game being a largely experienced group playing for the most part.

Quote:
There was a tan team wearing green tops when I saw a few of them having normal multicam blouses underneath. I don't know why they decided to mismatch when they had the proper cammies. (Attempt to throw green off? That's unfair.)
Vic, knowing these guys it wasn't their goal at all. OMG is a very good group of guys who play honorably, that was just their impression inspired attire. I didn't see an issue with it at first, but now that you mention it I could see where it could be an issue. This might be a call for Blade, but I will bring it up with them.

Quote:
After Grimm and I stole the bag, (Mostly Grimm) when we were finally hunted down and brought back to the CO and XO you just asked. "Where's the bag." As civilians, our job was to eat time and cause you to slow down. You never really pushed us for the information. If you would've "threatened" me, I would've told you. So we just lied as natural human beings would in that situation unless under direct pressure. (Also you never actually searched me for intel. Just disarmed me.)
After our little moment where I disarmed the civilians (most of them anyways ), "took" their maps, and "took" or "disabled" their radios you attacked a portion of our forces. I thought that added a fun and realistic portion to the game. (If only I had known to treat you right!) I think this is something that could be more empasized in games, not the civilian portion, but the escalation of force for addressing civilians and their retaliation to their treatment. (Obviously me taking you down in the manner I did (level of escalation) wouldn't be used, since we are friends I took it as OK ) But the escalation of force is something I don't see emphasized / used much. It would definitely add a new aspect!

Final thoughts:

As Ben said, getting everyone together after the game is a great way to build community and relationships. It's something I would like to continue doing, but without excluding people. So inviting everyone out before and after the game should be a thing we do as players, just another thought

Thanks to Blade for hosting and everyone who came out! Green you guys did well even with the numbers being against you, sounds like you guys had your tactics down! Tan, you played well and the CO and XO commanded well. I would be glad to play under you guys and with everyone on our team again! See you guys at the next Springfield game!
Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 AM

DrenneR is a Private
Sorry dudes! We had no intention to deceive anyone or act a color we were not!

We've been running parkas on both sides pretty successfully for a while now and never had any major IFF issues. Seriously sorry about that, and we'll keep the parkas for green side only!

DRENNER
OMG05
Ohio Milsim Group
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimgroup
Old 11-01-2015, 11:30 AM

Regan is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrenneR View Post
Sorry dudes! We had no intention to deceive anyone or act a color we were not!

We've been running parkas on both sides pretty successfully for a while now and never had any major IFF issues. Seriously sorry about that, and we'll keep the parkas for green side only!
Meant to PM you about that, glad you saw this lol Good playin with you brother!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 PM

Steppes is a Private
I had a giant AAR written up a few days back, but pulled a stupid and lost it. So, here's a more brief version:

I ran as a grenadier for Knight 2, and had an absolute blast, Our Comms were great intersquad, and I only heard of one issue with intrasquad Comms. The Medical rules worked great, though I think a little more clarification might have been better on the buddy medic part, I'm not sure everyone was aware of it. Having people act out their deaths as in MSW/OOBI games would be pretty nice, and I think would help get dead players out of the line of fire better. Aside from that, the only improvements I think should be made would be preregistry and dropping the lunch break. Pre-registering would help the COC get an idea of what they have to work with, and would make for better teams. I also suggest getting rid of the lunch break, because the act of taking an hour off, and coming back seems to burn more people out. after resting for so long, not everyone has the will to come back, and even if we all do come back, the level of energy from the morning is gone. I think 15 minute pauses between scenarios are fine, with a half hour break for people to eat on the field. any longer of breaks and people seem to start wandering off.

Overall great event, Thanks to Philip and Shawn for leading, and thanks to Knight 2 for being the dream team.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: