Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Weapons and Gear > Electric Guns (AEG)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Zink is a Private
What is the price difference of the CTW and the PTW
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Firedog is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgT_ZiNk View Post
What is the price difference of the CTW and the PTW
This is what my search found

Celcius Technology CTW M4A1 Celcius Training Weapon Airsoft AEG
AEG_CTW_M4A1
$619.95
Systema M4-A1 MAX PTW Professional Training Weapon.
AEG_STMA_M4A1_MAX_A
$1,495.00
That is unless you buy a challange kit and assemble yourself
Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 PM

MinioN is a Private
Send a message via AIM to MinioN Send a message via MSN to MinioN Send a message via Yahoo to MinioN
I'm tempted now just to buy a CTW and test it. Trust me out here in Cali where we have sand all over if it's going to break or have a problem I will make it go down. So far my PTWs out here have been fine.....well outside of me trying to mod them....that is another story. Bottom line is for my PTWs the only real problems I have had are the mags. Sand gets in and jacks everything up and then causes feed problems and because of that the weapon does not work the way it should. Outside of that I have punished my weapons and they have not crapped out on me yet. Damn mags.... but I have had my M60, M249 both go down because of the conditions here. I had a TSD M4 that just gave up because of the sand, it fried itself up because of all the sand and added crap inside of it. Also I have lost 3 sidearms due to the sand and conditions in which we play. My tornado has stopped working as well due to sand. So as you can tell I put my stuff through its paces. Only thing that has kept working is the main part of my PTWs.

I might just go ahead and buy a CTW as I said before and just put it to the test and write a review. Anyone want to pitch in and help out so I can write a review?

MinioN
Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Fish20 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fish20
Do you ever clean your guns MinioN?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM

MinioN is a Private
Send a message via AIM to MinioN Send a message via MSN to MinioN Send a message via Yahoo to MinioN
Every time but what you have to understand it I play on a beach....granted there is no water around but the sand is so fine and gets in every place possible. Then you get the silicon in there and everything it all goes down hill. Plus PTW mags are a pain in my butt to clear.

One example of how quick it can go down hill: I was low crawling in a ditch with my M9 in hand. Now keep in mind this was 100% good to go no problems and 100% clean. Now after crawling for about 2-3 min I looked down at it and the black M9 was now 100% brown. Having to use it I raised it up to a proper firing position and pulled the trigger. I almost could not pull it and the external and internal hammer would not move. I could not fire the weapon at all. The mag was now stuck in the weapon and the slide could not move no matter how hard I pushed. When I got home I spend 2 hrs+ cleaning the weapon.....it still does not work because the sand is now in parts that I can not get to. So ya here is where airsoft guns come to die. So I will probably buy a CTW and put it through its paces. And being a PTW user I will do my best to fairly compare with no bias the two platforms.

MinioN
Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Angus is a Private
After a long wait... the CTW 2009 Boards and 6.00 Barrels finally arrived. I was able to get the new board and barrel installed in one CTW so far. I must say that the board and barrel definitely made a big difference.

After installing the board and barrel, I noticed the following:
Much better trigger response. No longer did "double taps" when pulling the trigger. Sometimes it would fire on the pull and release if you pulled the trigger a certain way. That is no longer happening.

Speed of the weapon picked up a little bit. Nothing major, but was noticeable.

The 6.00 ported reformation barrel helped out it's accuracy leaps and bounds. The only big downside is getting these barrels clean... after swabbing them well over 30 times... they finally came pretty clean, but there was still some waxy substance towards the middle of the barrel that we couldn't get out. I tried this 6.00 barrel in my PTW and noticed a slight increase in groupings, and about the same range.

As far as range on the CTW versus the PTW. They are very comparable to each other.

Overall, I still like my PTWs quality and performance better, but for the cost, the CTW isn't half bad.

As far as electrical tests, I have not been able to conduct any. Once I get time in the upcoming Christmas season, I will try to get some tests done as far as power consumption and see how the batteries hold up. Ideally, I would love to have someone who is interested in a CTW purchase a newly upgraded one and then let me know how they perform. Nothing tells you how something performs better than actually having someone run it through some games. 8)

If anyone is interested in a CTW, I now have 4 in stock with the new 6.00 barrels and 2009 Boards that I am installing into them.
Please feel free to ask questions!
Thanks,
Angus
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM

T8NTkickr007 is a Private
very interested in the 2009 model. I am sending you a pm angus, was wandering if the Systema 12V battery be better for these guns or the lipos? Thanks Chuck
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Angus is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8NTkickr007 View Post
very interested in the 2009 model. I am sending you a pm angus, was wandering if the Systema 12V battery be better for these guns or the lipos? Thanks Chuck
That is a good question. I am going to say that either should "work", but a 12V may be a little too much. To say one or the other 100% I would need to try it and field test it for a period of time before coming to any conclusion on that.

I know that on the PTW, you aren't really supposed to use the 12v unless you are using the higher power cylinders. However, I personally run an 11.1v lipo on my PTW with my blue cylinder without any repercussions yet. With that said, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do the same with the CTW. To be safe, I would say no more than the 11.1v. Perhaps someone who has already tested this can speak up and let us know their thoughts on the 11.1 versus the 12v on the PTW/CTW.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Scorpion is a Private First Class
Angus and anyone else reading, it's not so much about the voltage as it is the amperage of the battery that dictates what is healthy for any given AEG/PTW/RC model. If the amperage from the battery is too high and is not being controlled by a MOSFET or computer system then the motor will simply take as many amps as it can before it burns through it's brushes and possibly permanently scaring it's commutator shaft. Oh and about not using a 12v battery with a 400fps or lower cylinder, well that's all fluff from Systema trying to keep the PTW firing within realistic cyclic rates of the real firearm counterpart. It has nothing to do with actual function or reliability of the PTW gearbox or electrical systems.

11.1v and 12v are too similar to see any difference in voltage alone on the CTW/PTW, but when you start thinking about the crappy discharge rate of the PTW 12v NiCD(25amp) vs a good 11.1v lipo at 35amp or higher you'll start to see where the lipo can cause the PTW/CTW to either cycle too quickly or use up the motor assembly(brushes and commutator) too quickly.

An example was when I used my 11.1v 3300mah 50C(over 100amp) lipo on my PTW. I used up an entire set of motor brushes in 4500rds. Yes that's right, basically 4 games and they were gone. But this was because I was supplying the PTW motor with ludicrous amounts of amperage. It was so fast I could almost fire 2 round per second in semi.

However when directly compared to a 12v 1500mah 30amp NiMH the semi auto was only marginally slower(1/4 of a second difference to lipo) but the cyclic fire was MUCH slower. Being 19RPS on the lipo and only 14RPS on the NIMH. I hate having the slower rate of fire, but I far prefer my motor brushes lasting more than a few games.

There are some new lipos coming out that should fit within the stock tube of our PTWs/CTWs and are said to be rated at 11.1v 1400mah 25C (30amp). Which means they will be perfect for PTW/CTW use since the PTW motors pull 28-30amps on automatic and 30-35amps on semi or burst. The current lipo offerings don't stack up as they are only rated at 20C or less on 1200mah or 1100mah packs which equates to 25amp or less power. BAsically you're buying a 9.6v NiMH power level but paying the extra price for lipo and new charger with balancer. To me that's a huge waste of time when you could just buy 12v 1500mah 30amp NiMH all day long for $30 a piece and keep the same charger provided it can charge more than 8 cells per battery pack.

The other advantage of the new Lipo designs are that you can fit TWO packs in one PTW crane stock! One in each tube on the crane stock. Thus giving you twice the play time without sacrificing the appearance of the PTW stock. I plan on doing just this with the new 1200mah Lipos. It'll take me 10 seconds to disconnect one pack and connect the other in the field, and with a theoretical 11.1v 2400mah lipo(roughly 4500rds in my 400fps PTW) I can play a 24hr weekend game without even having to bring a charger with me.

Last edited by Scorpion; 12-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Tags
ctw, ctw vs. ptw, image comparisons, ptw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: