Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 PM

shmartin is a Private
Question to someone owning a 3x magnifier.

I was wondering if you can use a 3x magnifier on a gun without having a optic in front of it. I was wondering if you could use it like a spotter scope to track the bb trail. I was thinking that because magnifiers do not have a reticle it would give a better sight picture the a standard rifle scope. I would like to know if anyone has tried this.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Potato is a Private
You can do it. It looks a bit goofy but there's no reason that won't work.

Operating with the lowest of speeds and the highest of drags since 1994

Potato Armory LLC.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:16 PM

shmartin is a Private
Thanks that what I figured. It might look strange but if it preforms like I want it to. People can judge me all they want when their the ones pulling out their dead rag. lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 PM

Tyce is a Private
Thumbs up

Actually seems like i pretty good idea. in reality if there is a lot of wind a magnifier seems a lot more useful then an optic. your optic isn't really going to be doing much if you have to aim 15 feet the the right of someone. but with a magnifier you just follow the bbs into the enemy
Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
I use a 4x AIM scope (looks like an ACOG) and do exactly what you are talking about. It's great to dial in a target with bracketing.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 AM

shmartin is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyce View Post
Actually seems like i pretty good idea. in reality if there is a lot of wind a magnifier seems a lot more useful then an optic. your optic isn't really going to be doing much if you have to aim 15 feet the the right of someone. but with a magnifier you just follow the bbs into the enemy
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Interprets things far too literally....

ReverseFlank is a Private
....Why not use a magnified optic? Then you can at least have a point of aim for your first shot.
But why do we bother doing anything that's pointless. What would Leonardo Da Vinci have done if a management consultant forced him to run a P&L on the Mona Lisa? He'd stab the son of a ***** in the eye with a charcoal pencil. Then he'd go invent the helicopter.

[Texx] 11:14 pm: giving Loki Neg Rep is like pissing on a forest fire...sure its fun and toasty but come on
Old 05-04-2016, 01:26 PM

shmartin is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseFlank View Post
....Why not use a magnified optic? Then you can at least have a point of aim for your first shot.

Because of the nature of bbs being so much more inconsistent when compared to real bullets. Having a reticle is almost worthless and really only obstructs your view. Although this is up to personal preference weather you see it that way. I just received my 3x magnifier and finished testing it. I honestly love the thing makes seeing how the bbs fly much easier to be able to adjust. Do to its compact size it also allow me to be able to attach my rail mounted lens protector in front. Which a normal scope would have required me to either get a hand guard rail or make a custom scope protector. Having it mounted and looking at it actually does not look to bad. Ultimately what works for me might not work for you. So all I can tell you is you can consider the option of using a 3x magnifier as a standalone sight.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Interprets things far too literally....

ReverseFlank is a Private
Yes, BBs are inconsistent. So is your point of aim when you don't have a reticule. That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there. Also if you are seeing that much inconsistency within reasonable distance you might have other issues.

My previous build I switched between a micro dot and iron sights. I would have the occasional flyer but I pretty much knew that every time I pulled the trigger the BB could hit a head sized target around that dot at my skirmishing distance.

But, in the end it is your toy gun not mine. Whatever floats your boat.
But why do we bother doing anything that's pointless. What would Leonardo Da Vinci have done if a management consultant forced him to run a P&L on the Mona Lisa? He'd stab the son of a ***** in the eye with a charcoal pencil. Then he'd go invent the helicopter.

[Texx] 11:14 pm: giving Loki Neg Rep is like pissing on a forest fire...sure its fun and toasty but come on
Old 05-07-2016, 02:38 AM

shmartin is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseFlank View Post
Yes, BBs are inconsistent. So is your point of aim when you don't have a reticule. That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there. Also if you are seeing that much inconsistency within reasonable distance you might have other issues.

My previous build I switched between a micro dot and iron sights. I would have the occasional flyer but I pretty much knew that every time I pulled the trigger the BB could hit a head sized target around that dot at my skirmishing distance.

But, in the end it is your toy gun not mine. Whatever floats your boat.
"That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there." That what your suppose to do. It literally means nothing weather you have a reticule or not. If you listen to what military snipers say they always talk about how almost no kill is a one shot engagement. Meaning the first shot is almost always a spotting round or a "guess". Which almost always miss. Then they adjust accordingly. The same applys to airsoft. You really dont need a reticule for your first shot or even to adjust. When you do not know how to adjust or hold before hand to even make your first shot matter. If you line up your cross hairs directly on were your shooting and fire your going to miss because you did no compensation unless your really lucky.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: