Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Main > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Question of the day: too many fields or not enough players nowaday?

Just curious to see what you guys think?
With more than 76k members on AO, I would expect much more players in the field at any given times or locations.

What do you think?

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Ozone T20 is a Private
It seems like there should be more. I wonder how many of those accounts are even active any more though...
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimg...f=ts&ref=br_tf
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM

viper is a Private
A large chunk of SWO players that played a ton at DP, Springfield, etc. Started college so right there is about 30 players alone. Combine that with the fact that barely anyone hosts good milsims other than one or two a year, we get tired of open plays. Homefront will be my first event in months because I'm just tired of open plays and I want a higher level of play that lasts longer than a few hours.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

cj93 is a Private
I think another part of it is when there are 5 events planned for the same day leads to poor turn out for each event.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Panda is a Private
It may actually be less events. If you go back to 2010 and look at the event schedule, it's filled with events. In fact, many weeks had events 3-4 days of the week. It's a weird change, but it may also have to do with the community dying down. A lot of people have left or are unable to play and they haven't been replenished. That's just what I've observed.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Regan is a Private
This is the slow part of the year as viper mentioned, as well as cj93 mentioned having different locations offer games same day we don't see huge groups of players in one area as much. Offering weekly games does allow some to play more often especially since they know they can skip one game due to schedule complication and there will be one the next week or so. However it doesn't give players that build up of anticipation of a game coming up in a few weeks or make then feel more value for it since it's like just going to happen next weekend. So I think it's a matter of game organizers creating fewer but more in depth games to bring some players out, if that's what they desire. Granted that does mean fewer games, but it's pouring more value into the game and that's what makes people come back in the long run.

Last edited by Regan; 10-15-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: atrocious autocorrect
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Baron VonYolo

So what you are all saying is the event location and numbers is the real problem, not the fact that less and less players play the game?!?!

Awesome videos;
Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Scorch is a Private
So I had my little rant on Facebook about websites and platforms etc. But I can see what you're going at. It's not so much too many events at too many places, but lately the Airsoft world in ohio is very much focused on 1 or 2 milsim events per-year-per field ex: Devil's playground this year ran Snowblind in January and Jonah threw in his post-apocalypse event, but the rest of it was pretty much basic low-maintenance Open-Plays, bi-weekly. Springfield for quite a long while had bi-weekly as well. (As you of all people know ofc.) The old SPEAR opens at Red Dragon were close to this trend, but still dragged in so many people (150-200 sometimes) that the field was borderline crowded. (RD of course being a tiny field) Point is I totally agree with Regan, too many events completely kills the anticipation and player attendance buildup. I feel the dedicated players will still always make an effort to attend but even myself, a person who never missed a monthly open at Red Dragon, can not make it to events when they're every weekend, on top of choosing where to go when venues have an overlapping schedule.

Bringing this around to platforming, I quote from the facebook thread.
Quote:
Deltalazertag TalonAirsoft I think a updated AO site would go a long ways in the way of bring players and owners together as well as owners and owners so there was less over lapping of large events so players dont always have to get so divided out. Communication would go a long ways in strengthening the airsoft community.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Scorch is a Private
I would also like to point out the significant amount of responses the facebook thread has gotten compared to the thread, which I'd like to think reinforces the point of all this. Heck, I actually made an account on Facebook after all this time just because I knew about 2/3 of AO takes place there now.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:40 PM

viper is a Private
Events these days are also boring. It's the exact same games. The stuff we do at open plays just gets translated to "milsims" and all that is added is a tiny bit of organization. This is where a lot of these players have dissipated to. It is not fun to go to a milsim and realized I just paid an extra ten bucks to add a CoC that doesn't really get followed. I could do a better job with a mega phone before an open play.

EOs need to start turning players away who don't follow requirements. Most EOs in Ohio talk the talk but don't walk the walk with this. If you are labeling an event as a milsim, treat it like one. Get restrictive and turn away $20. I understand that ten guys mean $200 but when those ten will ruin it for the bunch, in the long run you will loose the quality guys. A lot of EOs have turned to quantity over quality. Don't be that EO.

With MWMs first event, we had some kit problems but didn't want to turn away players who drove hours to play and wore the wrong thing, for the next one you will wear the right thing or you will go home. Period. We don't care. We care about the quality of our players, not the quantity. I wish more EOs felt this way.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Baron VonYolo

Viper, the problem is not that EO don't want to turn people away imho, I think it is because at the end of the day, when you put the dot on the "i" and the bar on the "t"s, it doesn't change much anyway. Heck, players don't even take the time to print a map, get a good radio or read the ruleset. As an EO, i would prefer to know that every players know and understand how it will happen than if he is wearing Despat over AOR1.

Granted, you need to set your own limitations but I think it can sum up the EO ordeal.

Awesome videos;
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Falcon is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Falcon
Everytime I try to play again the games are shorter and shorter and the players never read the rules.

I'm not traveling multiple hours to get only a few hours of trigger time, especially when seemingly half the people don't read the rules.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM

GreenKnight101 is a Private
For me at the moment, its a time and money issue for not playing. I live 5 minutes from Springfield and have missed every game, Op,Event or whatever you wish to call them minus Blind Fury, and even then I almost missed it.
Cyma M14 -back in my hands after a 1 year hiatus-
EF PPQ -gone-
WE Not a Glock 18 -traded-
KJW G19 -for sale-
LCT AK74
CZ75 P01
CA MP5A3
KWA MAC10 -stolen-
when in doubt , mag dump
Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 AM

bnagley is a Private
Send a message via AIM to bnagley
Since I just quit both my jobs this month I'll have more time to airsoft. I have one milsim game written up, objectives planned, roles filled, Once I secure a field that can fulfill the game needs then it will go forward. A game style that will make any milsim player wish they'd paid more attention in school.

Recently it's also been decided to revamp an old series of which hasn't been played since 2003*? this will be planned for early next summer.

It's not that there is a lack of airsoft being played it's just that there's a funk going around that players are okay with open plays and casual game styles.

I think it's an overall combination of these elements.

- Oversaturation of (casual) fields.
- Complacency of players
- nonmilsim mindset
- Fewer younger players taking initiative

The veterans that have been around forever have been doing this for a long time and still try and better the community as much as possible but with work, family and life it's hard to set aside the time for airsoft.

Lake Erie Airsoft Division Squad Leader
Does this make me awesome
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Airsoft Prophet

RotaryProphet is a Private
A lot of the field owners local to me have also seemed to realize that as opposed to a milsim game, an open is A) A lot less work, and B) Almost as profitable.

I'm personally willing to pay more for a good milsim, but I'm likely in the minority.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Baron VonYolo

I can attest to that Rotary. Let face it, being an event organizer is not the most glamorous and grateful. So many hours spent into a scenario to end up being wasted because players did not read any of it, not even the ruleset. If you start counting how much an EO get per hour, you will find out that a $30.00 game is not something you can live on. Heck, how many fields can actually live decently without having a 2nd job, using paintball, etc?!

So yeh, Milsim is definitely more challenging than an open play and for so many EO, it is simply not worth it enough to do it all the time.

Awesome videos;
Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 PM

Bain is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryProphet View Post
A lot of the field owners local to me have also seemed to realize that as opposed to a milsim game, an open is A) A lot less work, and B) Almost as profitable.

I'm personally willing to pay more for a good milsim, but I'm likely in the minority.
I agree with you. I am willing to pay more for a good milsim
Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM

nhviper is a Private
Send a message via AIM to nhviper
I personally pick and choose events now. I've been around the country playing and plinking every weekend isn't a big deal now. I hold out for cool venues, big turnouts and events that I know a lot of old buddies are going to.

"Airsoft isn't black and white, its more of shades of gray and then some damn fool throws a pink hello kitty into your pallet and you're left wondering 'where tha' f**k did that come from?'"
Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
Blade, with all due respect, part of your problem is a bloated player pack. As senior staff at several Blind Fury events, I've read the player pack many times, and even I find it tedious. Cut it down to half the size and make it much easier to look up information, and I think that will help a lot. For example, add an appendix with quick-reference charts. But, of course, that increases your costs, so...

Also, when you make winning irrelevant, how can you expect players to take it seriously?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Baron VonYolo

SO wait india, are you saying my player pack is the reason why players are not playing anymore?!?! (not just at Springfield) ?!?!

Awesome videos;
Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Chief is a Private
Blade's Player Pack big? That would be an understatement.
BUT, it is a necessity.
Blade has a very detailed and specific player pack that pretty much lists every imaginable rule.
It has to be big. Why? Simple. Players don't listen nor do they follow rules. (disclaimer) Not all players. Just those miserable few whom make the rest of our lives miserable.
Every time a rule is stated there is always "That Player" that has to come up with a "what if".
There are no what if's. If the rule states two hands on a player to heal. Well, Two hands. Period.
I personally went over the player pack after Blind Fury to give it an in-depth edit.
I could find no issues with the rules. I did find some typos and grammar issues but the rules themselves were solid.

Its very simple people. Follow the rules. If you don't like the rules. Don't play. No matter where you go, Its the Event Organizers house. There rules. Follow them or go home.

I don't think there are too many fields nor too few a players. I think 2014 was just a crappy year. I have myself been to only a few games all year. Very sad. My hopes are for a better 2015.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Baron VonYolo

Well yeh, the player kit is big but lets not think it is loaded just with rules!
I have few pages of maps, elevation views, directions along with a 2 pages index, a bunch of images and explanations on each roles and weapons. In fact, only section 2 is filled with the rules per say. Section 3-5 are just extra explanations of things.

As Chief mentioned, there a ton of things I got in there because of the questions I got in the past, every time a player bent a rule, I added more text or images to try to eliminate the problems next time. Do I need 2 pages to explain what a vehicle is or can do? probably not but for a vehicle driver, that can be extremely important and for a grenadier too. I made the player kit that big so I don't have to use 2 dozen staff at the event to explain everything all the time.

My grammar, spelling and format might not be perfect but I am an electrical engineer, not in media business

Awesome videos;
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

I've been a professional Technical Writer for 17 years, documenting complex business rules and procedures...but okay, I don't know what I'm talking about. Your player pack is fine; don't touch it.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
SO wait india, are you saying my player pack is the reason why players are not playing anymore?!?! (not just at Springfield) ?!?!
No, I was responding to your comment about people not reading the rules. Sorry, should have quoted that.

I think the reason players aren't playing anymore is pretty simple: trends come and trends go.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 AM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
Franc my friend, I promise you one of the first weekends I have off I'll be up to Springfield to see you.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: