Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Spartan1138 is a Private
Me or My Neighbor?

Hey guys, Breaker here. This is on something that I've found troubling in the past few weeks....

Sportsmanship, and just the feeling of love thy neighbor as thyself in general seems to be waning in the amount of people who practice it. People are not calling their hits, violating the rules, and yelling at you when you point this out to him. And in everyday life its not uncommon to see someone who's always in a bad mood or is a jerk at school, the office, at the doc's, or other places. It always seems to be about "me, me, me," instead of where we are thinking about how we can help society, our neighbor down the street, or our families, classmates, etc.

The sad part is that society and the media are encouraging this! They are saying that we are all that matter, that whatever makes me happy is most important. that we can do whatever we want and its all good. What about everyone else in the world? Are they not important? Modern culture seems not to think so. Its all about "what makes me happy," instead of "what would help others?"

We are not the most important thing, the world doesn't revolve around us... But honestly how many of us actually live day-to-day like we believe this? I'm not meaning to preach or anything, its just something that has been bothering me, and I'm not above acting like this sometimes, no matter how hard I try... And I know I'm not the only one, its just a sad fact of life that this is true. But we need to change this, we need to stand up and do what is right for others, not just for us. We need to live for something greater than our own pleasure, cause honestly, that which pleases us, how long does that feeling of pleasure really last before we're ready to move on to the next thing?

"What will people think if I tell them I'm a Jesus Freak? What will they do when they find out its true? I don't care if they label me a Jesus Freak, there ain't no disguising the truth!"- from Jesus Freak by DC Talk

"To my future wife: I may wear a kevlar helmet, a bullet-proof vest, and carry an m4, but I am still your knight in shining armor." - The White Russian

Last edited by Spartan1138; 05-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM

sakujosei is a Private
I am all for honesty, but their is a difference in perceived honesty / dishonesty and actual honesty.

Here is an example of a situation:

I was crawling low, when someone got the drop on me, he shot full auto at me yet i felt nothing. He must have been about 25~30' at most, it was daylight. However what he failed to notice and i caught up on right a way was there was a large branch in between me and him, it was close enough to me that it probably appeared to him like the BBS were bouncing off me, yet to me i see all his rounds bouncing off this branch which was in enough shadow that he didn't see it. I raised my rifle and shot back. My rounds looked like it hit him. He started yelling at me to call my hits. Now that pisses me off, he is not seeing round after round hes pumping into this thick branch, he finally shoots me after adjusting his shots to the right and up. You can even hear the audible thuds on my BDU, which i promptly called my hits on, before you heard no such thuds.

Now i dont know if my shots hit him or not, they looked like they did, but after what i saw i thought, hey i might have hit a branch too. I would like to say though he probably thought he was hitting me, and thought... WTF, you have the audacity to fire back at me after not calling your hit? and he may have not called it. He also lectured me at hit calling, which got me really pissed off. I was getting so mad at his disdain for my integrity to the sport that i was ready to walk over to him and say to his face, call me a cheater one more time... just one more time... but calmed down enough to think rationally not to attempt to break this guy's face. So instead I took my bleed out walk, got my OTHER gun (not GBBR) and came back and destroyed them. Which was much better therapy.

So, moral of the story, just because you THINK they are cheating doesn't mean they are. Most guys are honest with typically kids being more fond of cheating. Also, in thick brush they are less likely to call it. For some reason they think a round going threw a leaf counts as a ricochet, heh.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
So the bigger problem, it would seem, is that we don't trust each other to be honest. I think that's a natural consequence of airsoft's success; as crowds get bigger, we know fewer and fewer people. If someone I know tells me they hit me, without a moment's hesitation I acknowledge that hit, even if I felt, heard, or saw nothing. Do I give the same courtesy to a stranger? Sometimes, but only if they're communicating in a calm, dignified manner, and only after a quick assessment of the overall probabilities (distance, foliage, movement, wind, etc.).

Familiarity breeds trust, and as airsoft grows, there's less and less familiarity. For a game that absolutely relies on trust, it's a tough problem. I think the ultimate solution will be a tuned-down version of Simunitions: realistic, decent ballistics, with marking rounds. Paintball is already selling realistic, magazine-fed weapons, but their ballistics suck slightly more than airsoft's.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
As with life, trust "issues" are starting to become more common in today's society...I wrote a very long editorial and college paper on this. The first major issue(s) here are your parent(s). Did your parents raise you to not trust anyone? If so...(and most of the country has been aiming towards this trend) "you are always right". No matter what.

This mindset is the exact opposite from what needs to be on the airsoft field, and life in general. "You" are not the sole person in this world.

"Masakatsu Agatsu" applies here, which is/was ironically India's signature at one point. (I actually cited this/others in my editorial) It's not word-for-word, but:
"True victory, is victory over one's self."

All players need to lead by example, and not make an example of the lead. There are so many reasons why players feel the need to cheat/inadvertently cheat, so I can't really list them all. They need to be fixed by the sole operator, and not the organizer.

A couple of examples why players/people cheat:

- Their position is key in the OP and the player(s) can't die, or else they will "lose" their battle.

- Too lazy to walk back to spawn across the fields, and walk back into action. (This is why some fields have that 200 yard rule)

- The player themselves feel cheated, so they feel the need to "cheat the player that cheated them".

- Their parents raised the player to only feel for themselves, and they are already feeling the need to cheat/tank like they do everywhere else.

- Players do not like the organizers of the event, therefore they wish to make the day as abhorrent as possible for them.

- The gun of "said player" has a ridiculous FPS/ROF and they want to go show it off.

- GMRimpersonationplease.

- "The usual arguments" such as: "I have body armor", "That was a ricochet", "The branches are too thick, you never got through there".

As a few examples, you probably noticed that most of them are already apparent throughout fields. Along with India, I too definitely agree with his statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM

slaughter is a Private
Send a message via AIM to slaughter
When in doubt, just keep shooting. If you really are hitting them, the player will eventually get sick of being hosed and call the hit. If not, move in and make sure theyre in range. Me being the person i am, i dont care. Im not going to call someone out over it because of theit butthurt thats bound to happen. For all you know you werent hitting them. I use a dmr, so im back behind the action for the most part, and i have seen multiple streams of bbs drop harmlessly to the ground 10 feet in front of me. So make sure before you call someone out on things. I like to keep my airsoft drama free but not everyone can handle that.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Spartan1138 is a Private
Its not so much on trust and cheating as it is just generally social decency and kindness is not as prevalent in society as it used to be.... It all just seems to be one's happiness is what's important, and that nothing else really matters, that there's nothing more to life than self-serving pleasure.... I was raised differently than to serve myself, so that's why I brought this up, and the airsoft stuff was used as an example to illustrate the thought of what i was trying to convey

"What will people think if I tell them I'm a Jesus Freak? What will they do when they find out its true? I don't care if they label me a Jesus Freak, there ain't no disguising the truth!"- from Jesus Freak by DC Talk

"To my future wife: I may wear a kevlar helmet, a bullet-proof vest, and carry an m4, but I am still your knight in shining armor." - The White Russian
Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
Altruism doesn't exist; one's happiness IS what's important, and achieving our values is what makes us happy. If I value fairness, decency, and honesty, then I behave fairly, decently, and honestly, which achieves my value, which makes me happy. The logic can get a little odd though; if I value contributing to humanity, then by contributing to humanity, I have actually contributed to myself...I guess? Anyway, altruism doesn't exist.

Last edited by India; 05-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: