Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Raptor is a Private
Beta Project AK PTS PMAG

Well, it's not even a month into the new year and Magpul is already releasing new equipment for its PTS lineup. Their latest addition is the Beta Project AK 140rd PTS PMAG. Likely the brainchild of Magpul's Massoud development team (7.62x51 version of the Masada), or just a response to the sheer amount of AK owners in Airsoft and real steel, it is the 7.62 version of the well-received 5.56 PMAG for the M16 and M4. Released during the second week of January, not much is yet know about the magazine. After a good amount of research, I will give you the most information I can on this new product, as well as a small amount of background. I will also supply you with the links to the sites with information and sales.

The original Magpul PTS PMAG was released about halfway through 2008 and it had some issues. After seeing the reception it received, Magpul decided to expand their PTS line up. Now, every real steel Magpul product is also made for Airsoft, using the same polymers as their other products. Each of their PTS products is licensed, even though they are made in China. In 2009, the PTS PMAG was re-released, and it was spectacular. As seen in one of Magpul's youtube videos, the PMAG was determined to be the most durable magazine out of the 5 tested. Its polymer, weld-less design allows the PMAG to withstand even the worst of impacts, like being driven over by a truck. Magpul then entrusted the Beta Project company to produce a PTS Polymer magazine compatible for the AK series.

The Beta Project PTS AK PMAG is very similar to its 5.56 brethren, but different in many ways as well. Like the standard AK-47 magazine, it is larger and longer than the M4 PMAG. Increased size means that the magazine capacity is 20 rounds higher, 140rds from the M4's 120. Beta Project states that the AK PMAG is compatible with MOST Tokyo Marui type AK AEG series. The appearance of the AK PMAG is similar to that of the AK47 type waffle magazines. The casing of the magazine is a smokey, semi-transparent brown color. This allows you to see the inner workings of your magazine. Magpul sells the magazines in its four colors (Dark Earth, Black, Foliage, Olive Drab) but this is deceiving. The only part of the magazine that is actually one of these colors is the floor plate. The AK PMAG uses the same floor plate as the M4 PMAG, meaning that it can be removed in the same way. It also means that floor plates can be replaced with Magpul M4 PMAG Ranger plates without further modification to the magazine casing. Since Beta Project obtained Magpul's licensing for the AK PMAGs' creation, the AK PMAGs still have full Magpul trademarks. They are also made with Magpul's signature lightweight polymer-composite formula. This allows the AK PMAG to withstand greater impacts, unlike cheaper off brands who use plastic to make replica PMAGs like STAR's. Their lighter weight will allow you to carry more magazines than you would with metal magazines, without feeling over-encumbered. Not very many people know the AK PMAG is out yet, which means many sites still have them in stock. Once their release becomes more widely known, they will be more difficult to find and purchase (like my Magpul PTS M4 PMAGs which have been on back order for 3 weeks). As time progresses, we will learn more about the magazines, how well they function, and what they function with. Some websites state that the AK PMAG is compatible with ALL Tokyo Marui AK series, but it is best you do your own research before you make a purchase anyway. Most sites seem to be selling Beta Project AK PMAG midcaps for about $18.00 USD each. That is 5 dollars cheaper than the M4 PMAG which holds 20 less rounds. It may say something about the quality, but we won't know until someone buys them and writes a more detailed review. As of now, having Magpul's newest addition in your gear lineup will leave you amongst the few who own the AK PMAG. There are some images posted at the bottom, as well as some links. Until next time....

This is Raptor, signing out.

Information:
http://www.planetairsoft.net/forums/...p?topic=3389.0
http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?p=478714

Shops:
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogse...vance&dir=desc
http://www.airsoftglobal.com/advance...8bnk60&x=0&y=0

Beta Project AK PMAG(DE) with Stock Floor Plate
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beta AK.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2819

Beta Project AK PMAG(OD) with Stock Floor Plate

Name:	AK PMAG OD.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2820

Notice the different colors of the floor plates, even though the magazine is the same color.

Beta Project AK PTS PMAG in AK47 with Ranger Plate

Name:	Beta Project AK ranger plate.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2818

EDIT:Below is a video showing test of the magpul pts PMag versus the chinese clone, i.e. star. You have to click on the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZqHa7XNBGI

Last edited by Raptor; 01-29-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Addition of PTS PMAG video
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Sparky is a Private
I'm impressed you citied your source of information instead of taking credit for it yourself. Anyways - Pmags for an AK look pretty bad *** in my opinion.

Thanks for the information!
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home....Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart."
-Tecumseh

Team Phoenix Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixAirsoftOhio/videos
Team Phoenix:
https://www.facebook.com/teamphoenixairsoft
Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Raptor is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I'm impressed you citied your source of information instead of taking credit for it yourself. Anyways - Pmags for an AK look pretty bad *** in my opinion.

Thanks for the information!
Yea. Most sites have the same information. I think it is part of Beta Project's Official Release statement, which I can't seem to find. And yes they do look bad ***!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Raptor is a Private
Anybody feel free to add more information, so that we can develop this topic.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Sparky is a Private
Raptor, one thing I will comment on though.... Is double posting / triple posting is very frowned upon. Remember you have an EDIT button on each one of your posts - Start using that instead of double posting
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home....Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart."
-Tecumseh

Team Phoenix Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixAirsoftOhio/videos
Team Phoenix:
https://www.facebook.com/teamphoenixairsoft
Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Raptor is a Private
Yea. Probably not wise. Don't really want to get locked up and banned
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM

MacGyver is a Private
That's awesome to hear! Great post.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Torque is a Private
I'm not a Magpul fanboy per say (although I do have a few Magpul parts on my ICS M4, and I love 'em) but I do have to commend Magpul for their dedication to the Airsoft market. It's companies like these that can provide crossover products for both RS and Airsoft that should get the most props.

So go buy some and enjoy! (but buy them from a retailer so that they won't get screwed by Magpul directly)

Last edited by Torque; 01-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Raptor is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
I'm not a Magpul fanboy per say (although I do have a few Magpul parts on my ICS M4, and I love 'em) but I do have to commend Magpul for their dedication to the Airsoft market. It's companies like these that can provide crossover products for both RS and Airsoft that should get the most props.

So go buy some and enjoy! (but buy them from a retailer so that they won't get screwed by Magpul directly)
Yup. I do have to say, the best part about magpul is the sheer amount of customization. You don't get that ability on any other magazine, save for if you add magpuls or ranger plates. They may be bastards when it comes to how they treat retailers, but they make some damn good equipment.

Tags
ak mag, magpul, midcap, pmag, pts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: