Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 PM

MrCODAddiction is a Private
My First MILSIM!!!

I am going to my first MILSIM the 24th and I am pumped. I am going to Operation Jotun at DP. I started this to ask for any pointers. So... Any Pointers?

-RoadBlock
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 AM

Panda is a Private
Consider your shots. This has multiple meanings. For one, know whether or not you can hit something or if you're just pissing bb's and alerting the enemy of your presence. Consider foliage and wind conditions that would throw your aim off. If you're pretty confident you can hit, then go for it. This also means watch your fire, since there will be stricter rules of engagement and the event may have role players or a third faction that you need to hold your fire on. Identify targets, then shoot.

Don't use the radio unless you know how and have to. The radios are used to pass important information over distances that vocal communication can't be used. I know it seems cool to radio in to your team that you are moving up, but that message may clog up comms and cause your CO (commanding officer) delays in information. Keep it short and important when on the radio. I believe radio etiquette will be covered in the lessons.

Speaking of CO, know your Chain of Command (CoC). CO is Commanding Officer. He is your top dog on the team, sorta like a Captain. XO is eXecutive Officer. If the CO is a Captain, then the XO is a Lieutenant. He is second in command and executes the CO's commands. SL is Squad Leader. This is equivalent to a Sergeant. He controls a small group of players, typically 6-10. He takes orders from the XO. You, as a untitled player, are equivalent to a private. You take orders from the Sergeant and execute them.

You will want to know basic rank and file. The smallest unit is a Fireteam, which is made up of 3-5 players. 2 fireteams make a squad. 3-4 squads make a platoon. 3-4 platoons make a company. That's as much rank and file that you'll need. If you need to learn more, just go here: http://www.army.mil/info/organizatio...dcommands/oud/

Things to keep in mind: hold your spacing. In real life, spacing is done so that you aren't wiped by a single grenade/gun burst. The same idea applies to airsoft. At least 10-15 feet from the guy in front of and behind you when walking in a file or column (I assume you'll learn that at the event). Listen to the radio. Sometimes you'll hear valuable stuff. Memorize what a SALUTE report is. (Size, Activity, Location, Uniform, Time, Equipment) If you have a radio, that's the proper way to report enemy sightings. Take things slow until it's time to be fast. MILSIMs favor the prepared and the prepared are the ones who take their time.

That's all I have right now, I might post more later. If you wish to PM me, I've got nothing else to do but fap and nap so I'll reply. I'll also be at the event so you can ask questions there. This is a learning event, the first I've seen, so keep an open mind and you'll have fun and learn something.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Jables is a Private
PAY ATTENTION DURING BRIEFING!!!

Listen to your CO on the field, stay with your squad, and stay focused on the task at hand. Don't wonder off and start doing your own thing and don't try to mess with the story (betraying your team, changing sides, pushing to the enemy deployment by yourself in order to disrupt the enemy spawns etc..).

Know your role, know where you're supposed to be.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 AM

Glitch is a Private First Class
Briefing is big ^^

If you get directions from a SL, XO, CO follow them. Most of the time those guys have been around the block a few times and know what to do.

For some events, there are times for suppressing and times for firing for kills. If you have a support gunner it makes your job that much easier. Conserving ammo (especially with a bigger firefight) can be crucial at the end of an event if you never got a resupply. Ive had it happen once to me, makes you think differently about firing.

Basically everything Panda said is golden. The biggest part is figuring out what role you play in your squad and how you all will move to take out an enemy force.

Overall have fun, it might be taken to another level in milsim, but throwing in that Russian accent or acting out wounds/deaths can make it that much more fun. I prefer the term Serious Jacka$$e$

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Be the change you want to see in this community.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 AM

epicfacethe3rd is a Private
know your weapon capabilities (range, firing speed, accuracy, ect. ), use a proper grip (they refer to air rifles, but the FPS level they are talking about is pretty much the same. many people do not know about this, so don't be suprised if people look at you funny.), and sight in your gun first. you can do this all at an open play, if you get an opportunity.

"if it doesn't work, kick it. hard."
Callsign: "Zero"

Last edited by epicfacethe3rd; 01-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:36 PM

kismet is a Private
The biggest thing i can say is to listen to whoever is in charge tactically. It might mean a lot of sitting around waiting or getting the crap assignment but people will respect you and trust you a lot more it is also just a courtesy.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the advise guys. I will make sure to keep these things in mind.

-RoadBlock
Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM

I'll be out there as a veteran so I cant wait to see ya out there

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 PM

viper is a Private
Ask yourself why you are attending this event. Answer that question first.

Gear doesn't make you a good player. Gear is support equipment and support equipment should support need, not dictated it. Make sure it supports your need. Also make sure you can move with gear on, if it prohibits you from moving and doing a specific function you need to drop it or figure out a way so it doesn't restrict your movement. Sort of along the same line, remember that fitness drives performance and performance drives survivability.

Plan your work and plan it so the innicial response is the only one that is needed. Do not plan to fail. When you have planned your work, work your plan. Make sure you think problems through. Your mind is the biggest weapon you have. If something doesn't go your way, it's your fault. Do not make excuses.

On the CoC note, you listen to YOUR SL. Not mine, not my bffs SL, you listen to your SL and ONLY your SL.

Take you weapon off auto and put it on semi. This will force you to think and will also save ammo.

Load your magazines the night before, don't show up and have to load everything. To dispel the belief, springs are weakened by the amount the compress and decompress. The time they spend compressed or decompressed does not wear out a spring.

Walk in with an open mind, if you get instruction from someone and someone else gives you instruction that contradicts what the other person said, do not listen to the one you think is better, put both methods to the test and see which one works for you. Just because I hate running a battle belt set up and it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work and be highly effective for you.

No question is a stupid question. Despite how much most of the community hates hearing, "What is the best airsoft gun I can buy?" You are not stupid, you don't know any better. Ask questions and ask lots of them.

BBs do not kill.

I know that was a lot of random bullet points that I hit on. If you want away with one piece of advice from this, walk away with this: Come with an open mind that is ready to learn and question everything. Leave looking back and saying I had fun.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I'll be out there as a veteran so I cant wait to see ya out there
Nice I'll be running tri colored pants with blacktop and tan PC with AK. If you see me hit me up.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 AM

What team did you sign up for?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What team did you sign up for?
Tan

-RoadBlock
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Airsoft Prophet

RotaryProphet is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCODAddiction View Post
Nice I'll be running tri colored pants with blacktop and tan PC with AK. If you see me hit me up.
If you can run tri-color top as well, that'd help; The veteran team is running tan bottoms with black tops, and you could easily get confused.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM

TheJudge is a Private
As this is my first milsim, I am going to take some time to prep by memorizing some hand signals like those shown here:

But seriously though, I'm not sure if it's overkill but I will be looking over these sources among others: http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR...df/fm21_60.pdf; http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-10/appa.pdf
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryProphet View Post
If you can run tri-color top as well, that'd help; The veteran team is running tan bottoms with black tops, and you could easily get confused.
Agreed^^^ its for the best

Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryProphet View Post
Only got tri bottoms. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Space Wizard

jonahm740 is a Private First Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCODAddiction View Post
Only got tri bottoms. Sorry.
Just run a different color top than black or red and you'll be fine
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM

I was the guy who wore red to his first event :/

Old 01-23-2015, 05:02 PM

viper is a Private
Smooth Glitch... Lololol,

COD, I can bring you an ACU jacket in MR so you fit in on tan rather than wearing black like we are wearing.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 PM
The Blacksmith

Yawger20 is a Private
Bottom line.. No black unless you are Globex. This is part of the whole milsim concept. Matching tops and bottoms are preferred

-----------------------
Last Name: Yawger
Call Sign: Frostbite
Old 01-24-2015, 10:48 AM

stagg is a Private
Send a message via AIM to stagg
Beginner milsim:

While this is mostly true... Milsim events literally fall apart when people start thinking "that rule, or aspect doesn't apply to me." It doesn't matter what level.

If somebody is telling you how it is. Don't tell yourself otherwise.
We are telling you, as nice as we can, that you need to be in uniform. It doesn't have to match top and bottom. You can not wear another groups uniform.
It is as simple as that. Beginner or no.

If it wear me I would hit up the guy offering you a top, that works for your tan team.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: