Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM

sloan is a Private
gearbox trouble

Hey everyone so i purchased a non working gun and thought i got it working again but there seems to be a problem in the gearbox it just simply wont do anything its like its locked up and through deduction i think i found the problem and i think its just that the motor isnt powerful enough to pull the main cylinder spring and since i dont want to buy a new motor i had thought about just clipping the spring since it is an mp5 and i dont need a whole lot of power but i figured before i did i would get some input. basically im wondering could this be the problem? and if it is would clipping the spring shorter possibly fix it and be my cheapest option? if anyone has other input i would be glad for it
thanks everyone for you time
Sloan
Old 03-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Bushmaster16 is a Private
Don't clip the spring. Make sure you are using a fully charged and powerful (at least 9.6v) battery. If you pull the trigger and you get a click, like the gears tried to move but stopped, it's locked up. This may be caused by someone shooting on full auto, leaving the gun in storage with the spring compressed and it got locked up. I haven't had to fix something like that for a while so I don't remember a way other than opening it back up and making sure the anti reversal latch is in the right position. And make sure the right connectors are on the right leads on the motor.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM

sloan is a Private
yeah thats what was happening and i opened it up and took the whole cylinder assembly out so it was just the gears and trigger in there and the gears were working fine then as soon as i put the cylinder assembly back in the same problem happened and i have tried just switching connectors but thats not it
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Bushmaster16 is a Private
Then I'm not sure
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
step by step. Go back to taking out the spring and cylinder, etc. like you did before and it tested as 'working'. Then, add in a section at a time until you are back at the lock up.

I have had several GB's lock up on me, but a common problem I have run into is when you get it back together, the tappet plate binds up on the gears, locking it up.

Hope that helps a little.
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:13 PM

sloan is a Private
I did that as well cause i wondered if it was the tappet plate and that wasnt it and i had just the spring out and it pulled the piston back and moved the nozzle fine so its not the tappet plate
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM

sloan is a Private
well i was tired of messing it so i went ahead and snipped a few coils off the spring and its working fine now and its still got decent distance dont have a chrono to test fps but it fires so thats something. But i did want to thank you bushmaster and rygar for the advice it was all sound advice and its very kind of you to lend me your time
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Bandwidth waste

Icepick is a Private
You realize that when you snip rungs off of your spring and shorten it, the piston can no longer come all the way back to the edge of the gearbox? That was the problem I was having with my Systema, the spring broke and the gearbox locked up. Good luck with decreased power, stripped piston, and broken teeth...
EDIT: Plus now your spring has a chance to catch the inside of the piston and scratch it and keep it from returning forward.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
If the base isn't flared out it should be fine.

I would have bought another spring, but thats just me.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Bandwidth waste

Icepick is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
If the base isn't flared out it should be fine.

I would have bought another spring, but thats just me.
Exactly... Springs are like 10 bucks.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 PM

sloan is a Private
yeah i could have bought a new one but im a cheap 16 year old and i dont see what the problem would be because the gun still has more power than i would have thought and i put the snipped end inside the piston so it cant catch on anything and i figured if there was a problem with snipping the spring i could just buy a new one anyways. And icepick i dont see what you mean about the piston not coming to the edge of the gearbox it is still under constant pressure and it cycles through fully
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM

Kyo is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepick View Post
You realize that when you snip rungs off of your spring and shorten it, the piston can no longer come all the way back to the edge of the gearbox? That was the problem I was having with my Systema, the spring broke and the gearbox locked up. Good luck with decreased power, stripped piston, and broken teeth...
EDIT: Plus now your spring has a chance to catch the inside of the piston and scratch it and keep it from returning forward.
honestly that's only an issue if he snips like 5-10 coils. There are other factors you must consider as well such as rate of fire, how long the spring is before cutting, the rigidity of the spring in question and condition of the motor. Most springs nowadays are non-linear and are sufficiently over length that you can cut 2-3 coils off no problems. If the rifle is running at 13-20 rps it's not going to have pre-engagement issues the sector gear just isn't going to cycle fast enough to catch the second tooth (although if one is really worried about it you could shave it off like most steel rack piston are out of the box).
So unless the spring was an old linear spring that has been compressed for years there is no need for alarm and as the Op stated it was cycling fine(I didn't read all the way to the bottom I just got to this post and had to rectify some of the info I saw along the way).

And Systema has had a long history of busting teeth on gears and pistons because they use a sintering process to produce their parts so the bond between the particles that make up the gears and rack are really quite poor for the price you pay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: