Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Operation 220: AAR

I had an outstanding time today out in Springfield. Thank you Team Strikers for keeping the events going. It was fun playing with new faces and the pimp daddy vets. As always, I hope to see you at the next event.

BTW: Did anyone have WWII flashbacks? I swore I saw the 82nd rolling around . B.A.R. 60s & M14 Garands...................

Have a good weekend and try not to get arrested.

PS: Down with the convoy

Urban......Out

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11-07-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM

Firefox is a Private
I had a great time today. It was the first time I was able to get out in a while. The friend of mine I brought also had a blast with it being his first time out. The missions were interesting and I felt we used a vast majority if not the entire field. Hopper and Standinman it was great meeting you two and I hope to see you guys soon.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:01 PM

mr. tumnus is a Private
i had a great time! i liked that we used the whole field instead of just parts. thank you team strikers, and everyone who went!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Animal is a Private
Had an awsome time and met some cool new guys.

Convoy mission. . lol.

Those in tan that left during the convoy mission (they were fustrated; just think meat grinder). Someone on tan team decided for us to take a diffrent route. It worked out with air field unit support. We ended up winning this mission in 20 minutes after re-directing routes. I just hope this mission doesn't discourage anyone from comming back. There were alot of fustrated tans (i think half the original convoy letf).

The first two missions were great. I liked how the whole field was used and the missions were stretched out.

Anyways, I will be there next time. Thanks Blade, Strikers, and to all else that help put on the event.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Field Hotshot is a Private
Thanks Strikers for another great event. Saw lots of new faces and familiar ones. Liked rollin with Urbanmarine, WWII guys, Greaseman, and the other Squads. It was a more fast paced event today. No time to rest. Especially the motion sensor planting objective tan had. When Green pushed from behind at the airfield we sprinted to our objective and you guys were right on us. Also Animal, I would have stayed with the Convoy, unfortuantly my M4's fuse blew while shooting at that ambush and I HAD to, although I wish I could have stayed, call it a day.

Blind Fury VI & VII Veteran
Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM

slacker137 is a Private
Thanks to the Strikers and the players for another fun day of Airsoft. Blade, Slam, Flyboy thanks for letting me roll with you guys I learned alot today.

To the players I would like to applaude your sportsmanship with very few incidents seen or brought to my attention.

Just a friendly reminder please wear full goggles, I would feel like crap if I hurt someone due to inadiquiate eye protection.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Thanks you all for showing up yesterday. We got a good turnout (82), the weather was great and the players also showed a good sportsmanship attitude.

The briefing started at 10:05 and we deployed for the first mission at 10:30. Not bad but I would like to get it better next time. the break between the missions were a bit too long but after sleeping on it, I am still wondering how to reduce that time, knowing that each team must be briefed on their own missions and giving them the time to develop their tactics. We endexed at 1700 with a total of 3 missions completed;

Mission one: VIP capture
TAN team had for objective to find the VIP team (Tigerstripe), capture and extract them at the hay bails (by the parking lot). Thinking that the VIP were enemy to the OD team, TAN assumed the VIP team was held prisoner by the OD team. TAN took the bank in goldicity to be the best place for a "prison" and focused their effort on it. Unfortunately, the VIP was friendly to OD, which changed the whole TAN plan completely.

While TAN was pushing on Goldcity, the VIP team was on the South ridge, waiting for the enemy (Tan). skirmishes started in Goldcity. VIP team decided to move East side of the cliff toward the hay bails. No resistance was met. From the hay bail, the VIP moved down to the open field, the airfield and back to Goldicty. The VIP found no one in Goldcity and were lucky enough to see few slow TAN mover, which got engaged right away. As TAN were finding out the VIP were back in Goldcity, they turned around and moved back on the town. OD team got alerted of the situation and moved back on Goldcity. 2 VIP got shot but rescued by the OD medics. By mission endex, all VIP were free and alive.

Lesson learned: Assumptions can be a killer. If you don't ask questions, you won't get answers. Knowing if the OD team was friendly with the VIP team would have changed everything for TAN team.

Mission two: Target destruction
Each team were given 2 azimuts, allowing them to triangulate their objective. When acquired, each team had to put a bomb in the objective. For TAN team, they had to install a motion detector bomb, which would blow up after 15min OR 30sec if someone would get close to it without disarming it. For OD team, they had to install the firecracker roll and fire it up. TAN team had to put the bomb in the refinery. OD has to put it in the green shack, at the top of the west hill (staging area). Both team successfully find the proper objective location. 2min after the mission started, TAN team got an update suggesting OD team were trying to do something on their side of the field (tan controlling West and OD controlling East). The COC decided to go without adjusting their mission plan, which led OD team to be ready for the building blowup within 5min. As OD moved so quick on their objective, the mission got temporarily aborted, giving some time to TAN team to move on their objective. By the time OD mission resumed, TAN team was closing on their own objective. By the endex time, OD accomplished their mission and TAN team had 6min to accomplish it.

Lesson learned: COC always has the final word on what is important to get done. Deciding to neglect one aspect of the mission can lead to bad consequences.

Mission three: Convoy
TAN team were controlling the airfield and Goldcity. Their mission was to send a convoy through the major trail and resupply Goldcity. When completed, the convoy had to return to base. OD team had for a mission to disrupt the convoy route by any means.

The convoy had a very difficult time from the beginning. Despite the numbers of players (40 TAN versus 30 OD), it looks like the sizes of the forces were not balanced right. By the end of the mission, several TAN abandoned and the convoy did not complete their mission.

Lesson learned.
1. If you get ambushed, you fight it through. If not, it become a pick and choose for the assaulters.
2. Make sure you convoy have the fire power to get out of trouble.
3. Most convoys risk to get hit by an ambush. Stop whining about it and find a way out.
4. Getting pissed because it is tougher than you thought prove that you can't adapt to the situation. What will happen when the Zombies will attack in 2012???
5. Adapt and overcome is the key.

Conclusion
While I do know the missions were not easy (as they should not since it is a 2xx series event), you guys should come prepared and understand you are there not to have a trigger time but rather to be part of an intricate mission(s) which require communication, teamwork and guts. If you just want to shoot people, stick to the 1xx series events. If you want to be able to use your brain, you are more than welcome to be at the 2xx series.

Being said, I will start making changes in the 2xx series event and while it will still be a "game day", I will start introducing some "training" into it. Now don't worry, it is not about PT and other repetitive stuff but rather about specific missions allowing to learn something out of it. The Convoy is one of those mission. I will also start using the veteran team much more, assuming they want to help the community obviously. simply said, the 2xx series will focus on improving the quality level of every one of you.

So anyway, I won't have any 2xx series before next year so until then, you are more than welcome to send me your comments and suggestions at blade@teamstrikers.com

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft

Last edited by Blade; 11-08-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Godo is a Private
Thanks for another event Blade.

IMO it was not the best Springfield event I've been to. I don't know what was up with all the delays, that would be something to improve upon. I would also suggest taking a minute during the morning briefing to get everyone in the right frame of mind - that the mission objectives are the goal of the day and not necessarily to just seek and destroy. I appreciate what you were trying to do as stated above, but execution should be improved for future events. It just didn't feel as organized as other Springfield events.

Also - we enjoyed rolling out in the WWII gear. I hope some people got to take a look and if you're interested, please click the link in my sig. We also do Vietnam. We'd like to get some historical milsim going in Ohio, so feel free to ask questions!
It's a completely different experience when the majority of players have semi-auto or bolt action only. It makes MGs a lot more deadly and changes the flow of the battle. Like I said, it's a completely different experience and a lot of fun.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Baron VonYolo

Godo, the main difference compared to other events were:

- Introduction of some landnav using protractors and maps
- Dual mission (both team having something to do and something to stop)

Just that can give you about 70% of the time delays....so yes, I need to improve that part.

Awesome videos;
Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers_blade View Post
*snip*

Convoy
Lesson learned.
1. If you get ambushed, you fight it through. If not, it become a pick and choose for the assaulters. (Infantry convoy with no cover=death trap and we were not allowed to send out kill teams)
2. Make sure you convoy have the fire power to get out of trouble. (Check)
3. Most convoys risk to get hit by an ambush. Stop whining about it and find a way out. (No whining just anger because of FIXED rules)
4. Getting pissed because it is tougher than you thought prove that you can't adapt to the situation. What will happen when the Zombies will attack in 2012??? (See above)
5. Adapt and overcome is the key. (Strick rules prevented this form of action)
The game rules of the convoy mission lead to it ultimately failing. We couldn't reroute the convoy. We couldn't send out kill teams from our convoy. We couldn't leave the set path of the convoy. We were ****ed from the get go. Based on the rules, the whole adapt and overcome idea was forbidden. $100 says even the Strikers wouldn't of made it to GC with the starting rules. As soon as we were allowed to reroute (New rules) to a new major path we made it to GC in 20mins. All this mission did was make everyone look like a bunch of ****ing idiots and later pissed off the Tan majority. Post mission even the Greens said the initial rules were a death trap. And they even said they couldn't of broken through with the original rules.

There was no lesson learned. I knew what the hell to do, but we couldn't because of the set rules for the convoy. I guess there's a hiding message. As long as you call your hits, wear your goggles and follow all the safety rules. The mission rules don't mean ****.

I like the training idea, but even the 15 year olds knew the original convoy rules were built to fail, end of story.

PS: I'm not trying to be a whining ***** or an ******* about this. We were initially put in a lose lose situation. Maybe next time the convoy team should be allowed to pick their own path and not the enemy.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM

ninja_fish is a Recruit Private
Had a great day, saw a lot of familiar faces and met some new ones. Thanks to blade and the strikers.
I just put the pics up, so go check em out. http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/album.php?albumid=750

Little tip for those who dont know... If you shoot into the wind, your bbs drop like rocks. If you shoot with the wind, you bbs sail for days. Therefore you dont want to be caught in the open field with the enemy upwind from you!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Baron VonYolo

UrbanMarine,

I know it must have been frustrating during the convoy mission. Unfortunately, if you ever get caught in a real convoy with real people shooting you and not having the fire power to push back, you simply can't say it is all "unfair". YOU MUST get it done. My post was definitely not about pointing fingers but rather seeing what went wrong, one way or another. We talked often about fog of war or "when the bullets start flying, the mission plan go by the windows", that is exactly what I tried to simulate. Nothing say missions are supposed to be fair and trust me, if I do a convoy mission later, it will be the same way. Actually, I purposely asked the green team to not go full force on the convoy and spread out so you guys would have a chance

But again, the idea behind this is to create confusion, change of plans, etc. If you lay out too many rules, you remove the new ideas or ways to think outside the box. While we are at it, perhaps I should give every possible thing to be done and where are the paths or secret places to go throughout the field so you guys get the mission done quickly? you know what I mean? shooting people is great, finding a way to outsmart the other team is even better...IMO

Awesome videos;
Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 PM

smith2 is a Private
I agree with UrbanMarine. The rules were unfair for the convoy players. The Geenfor was able to set to be able to shoot at us before we were even able to get to the main road, which screwed us from the start. Also, convoys usually have VEHICLES which provide some sort of COVER. As we were supposedly a convoy, and not able to get out of our vehicles, we were sitting ducks. The enemy had cover plus the higher ground. We had nothing.

Usually, when a group of soldiers are ambushed on an open road, they immediately get off the road, take cover, and return fire. We were not able to do that. As soon as we started taking fire, all we could do was return fire, as we were told we were not allowed to get out of our "vehicles". This was why we thought the rules were a little messed up. One suggestion for that specific scenario would be forcing the opfor to have to fire a nerf rocket or something similar to disable the "vehicles", which forces the convoy players to get out of said "vehicles". At which point the opfor would be allowed to actually fire on the convoy players. Just a suggestion

Despite the last scenario, me and my team had a great time. The weather, minus the wind, was perfect.

6mm militia, your experience really shows on the field. It was awesome being able to play with you guys.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Rebel is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith2 View Post
I agree with UrbanMarine. The rules were unfair for the convoy players.
In real life, life is NOT fair. the sooner we learn that the better we will all be.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Baron VonYolo

Quote:
Usually, when a group of soldiers are ambushed on an open road, they immediately get off the road, take cover, and return fire. We were not able to do that. As soon as we started taking fire, all we could do was return fire, as we were told we were not allowed to get out of our "vehicles". This was why we thought the rules were a little messed up. One suggestion for that specific scenario would be forcing the opfor to have to fire a nerf rocket or something similar to disable the "vehicles", which forces the convoy players to get out of said "vehicles". At which point the opfor would be allowed to actually fire on the convoy players. Just a suggestion
Well here is one thing. I said you guys had a concoy. I never said you had to simulate vehicles. Second, I never said you could not get out of the vehicles, which mean you were allowed to take cover. the only thing I said and even before you started is the convoy had to keep going on the trail. It could be where thew confusion comes. While I just wanted to make sure the convoy would not end up a "free for all all over the place", you guys took it as if I asked you guys to stay IN the trail at all time.

So might not be a rule issue but more about the interpretation of it, My mistake

Awesome videos;
Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Well next time Blade i'm sending up fireteams to clear out the ambushers. That was my biggest issue. It wasn't about IN REAL LIFE. It was about you cutting out our options to clear out the ambush. We were is a worst case situation with no solid cover & we held the low ground. I almost said **** it and sent up 10 guys from the convoy to clear out the rig, but I didn't want to lose because of a rules violation. 3 other people confirmed that we weren't allowed to do so, so I stuck to it.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Baron VonYolo

Urban, Again, you did the best you could with what you knew. As I said above, if questions are not asked, I can't give you answers. So yes, if you guys would have asked if recon could be sent, I would have said YES, it was definitely not against the rules. One thing I remember though, I specifically said on the radio "I don't care how many are in the convoy, you just need to make it through".

So I guess with all this, I can expect a lot of questions next time unless of course, you guys don't want that kind of missions anymore. Personally, you can throw me as many 6 vs 20 missions, I love being in a losing position, heck I got married!

Awesome videos;
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
I like the idea of the mission 100%. I think ambushes are a must for milsim, because IRL they're always bound to happen. Like I said my only big issue was we couldn't send up people from the convoy to kill the ambushers. This all went down before you jumped in our channel with new rules but by then most people were fed up.

I would of sent up 2 fireteams to clear, while the convoy moved down the road providing fire from below.

Oh well. Time to go change my tampon and move on

The guys in the convoy were a great bunch and I hope this doesn't deter them from future convoy missions.

If I offended you or was disrespectful I apologize. Thanks again Blade.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11-08-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM

slacker137 is a Private
6 vs. 20?!?!

Make it 6 vs. 30 and I'm in
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Baron VonYolo

Urban, you did not offend me at all. IMO, a good organizer should always be able to take the critic and improve. Thinking about it now, and someone suggested the same thing after the event, we will have to use "boxes" or something to keep in the convoy while other people can leave the convoy and defend it. It is hard for the convoy people to leave and defend and they are supposed to stay in the convoy and keep going....

Lesson learn for me too

Awesome videos;
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Dog Tags is a Private
Had a good time today. As always love seeing and rolling with my 6mm brothers.

Mission one: VIP capture

I rounded up the ACU guys and started handing out orders. With the numbers we had we broke down into 3 fireteams. I took charge of all 3 fireteams, Decibel SL for Alpha, Smith SL for Bravo, & Pepper SL for charlie. We began mission planning and started giving orders. First we setup medics, radiomen, DMR's and support. After each squad was set we then begin mission planning. Are mission was to find and move the VIP's back to safe zone. After coming up with each squads mission we than received new movement orders from the CO. Wish we would have stuck to our original movement plan's. We then moved out and down to the railroad tracks. Upon reaching the bottom of the trail charlie set up watch to the east and bravo set up watch to the west. Once the area was secured, we than move across the field in two columns. We saw the Airfield was owned by Tan and I should have made the call to change plans. We moved to the tracks and then took a long walk all the way down to the west side of the field seeing nothing but tan.

We started moving into the woods and made are way up to Gold City. Believing that Gold City was controlled by tan we moved around to the west side of Gold City and moved up the hill. At the top of the hill we engaged the enemy. Charlie set up a line of fire across the ridge while bravo and alpha pushed the flank of green. We pushed green back and took the top of the hill of Gold City. Mixed reports were coming in about Gold City so I made the call to go in and take Gold City. Charlie push the east side of Gold while bravo pushed the middle then moved to the east side of Gold. Alpha came in the middle of Gold then started securing buildings. We encounter residence and the battle intensified. Squads broke down and most of tan started pushing into Gold. We left the West side of Gold City open and never secured it. A CCP was set up and from the reports I heard about two squads holed up in the CCP which in turn cut our numbers in half. No one checked the bank and we kept letting green take the outskirts of the city.

Mission failure.

Mission Two: Target destruction

Our squad was given the job of moving to the target and escorting two VIP's. We added one more squad to our numbers and started moving out. After planning the path we moved through the woods about ten meters from the edge of the woodline. Movement was quite and slow going. We encounter what I believe was two tango's and Decibel gave the order two engage and push through. Making it too the fence line we pushed the pace and started our trek to the objective. We encounter a small force at the downed trees and we split the team. We moved three to each side of the brush and they moved in and eliminated the enemy. We than moved into the tree line on our way to Emerald City. I made the call to get into the creek and take that all the way up to our objective. We pushed all the way up to the objective as friendly forces moved down the path.

When we got to the objective we moved the VIP's into the building and they set up the device. I ordered the friendly forces into position to set up a perimeter. We waited and game was called.

Mission success/failure ????

Mission Three: Convoy

Our orders were to hold Gold City. We stayed there and encountered no one until the last 20 minutes. Not sure what the numbers of the enemy was that came to Gold City. They had the high ground and we set up lanes of fire to defend the city. We only had 6 members and everyone moved into position and defended the City like champs. After the convoy showed up we choose to take the fight to them. I moved a couple of two man teams up to the edge of the city. More troops moved to the west side of the city so that we could set up a cross fire. I called 6mm back to the center of the city. With the friendly's firing and keeping the opfor pinned down our 6 man team started our push up the hill. One gun went down on our approach. Fire started coming at us and the saw gunner went down. We spread out and set up a base line of return fire. Our medic picked up the saw and gave supportive fire. At that point we pushed up the hill and took it. Game endex at that point.

Mission success.

The rifle should be no different than the samuraiís long sword. You should train with it in all capacities and its use should be as natural as breathing

Your not outta the fight until someone upstairs turns out the lights

Psalms 144:1

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

6mm Milita
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 PM

emuchmore is a Private
this was my first time playing at Springfield and was very in pressed with the field. also the missions were great i had a lot of with fun the vip capture.
thank you blade and the strikers for the game and everyone else who played, I hope to return to Springfield soon
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
Dog Tags, the strat I was using was based on prior 2xx series information. The south and south east are normally heavily guarded, leaving the north flank open to GC. You went along the railroad like I asked, executed the assault perfectly and flanked green perfectly. I wanted the ACU team to be ghosts until they got into golden city, so the airfield team & widowmakers were your decoy for entering and exiting the target area. This created the illusion Tan was attacking from the south. The idea was to flush green from the rear flank into the airfield team waiting to ambush (east) & the Widowmakers (south). While the flank was happening ACU & tan support cleared the city 2x. We also flanked using the same strat 2x causing a retreat 2x. I had an idea where the VIPs were (Bank) and what the enemies defense would be like. I didn't factor in that the VIPs would E&E and made the mistake of assuming they were captured by green forces. I wish I had an extra team between the Widowmakers & Airfield team. Happens to be the VIPs went that way. For a mixed crowd I think Tan did an outstanding job.

Sorry for bad drawing with PAINT This is the basic idea I planned out.

"Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions."- Sun Tzu

I enjoy feedback on strats...helps improve my future strats. Shoot me a PM with some feedback. I've only conducted fireteam maneuvers not full platoons. IRL & airsoft.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Baron VonYolo

One thing worth mentioning, the ACU squad moved quickly enough to get Hillslam to say "If they moved in our butts already, we need to hire these guys on the team". It is not the kind of thing Hillslam usually say LOL.

The fact that you guys moved so quickly on the West flank actually forced the VIP to start moving out of the hot zone (toward the hay bails). o in a way, you are responsible of losing the VIP becaue of your own success to infiltrate and RAID Goldcity

oh btw, a miracle happened that day! TAN team was bigger than green team ...woohooo

Awesome videos;

Last edited by Blade; 11-09-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM

NH_Nitemare is a Private
Blade Thanks again for another top notch event. The other fellow we brought with us, it was his first time at Springfield and will be coming back with us in the future.

Us Nighthawks had a real good time. Also Blade thanks for the Surprise, you are CO for the second mission for green side. I would also like to congratulate green side on a job well done for that mission. I think communication was done well and everyone followed the chain of command this weekend, and when that happens, things go smoothly. Because we knew the objectives we were able to secure the fire mission within minutes with a fast push to the target. However the abort mission set us back, that however did allow my bomb squad to agitate the attacking tan force from the airfield after they had passed. Shortly after regrouping in the airfield we were given the go ahead to complete the fire mission. We then humped it up the hill to the Target G and proceeded to set off the show(my favorite part). Shortly after that we began the trek back to the refinery to support in the assualt/defend of our position. We had just made visual contact of the backside of a Tan force when the game was called.

OP: Northern Wind VI Ranger 1-2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: