Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM

NexusB23 is a Private
Broken Trigger on Echo1 M4

Hey guys, looking for some help on this one.

Got a clean snapped off trigger on a Echo1 M4. What happened was a cell phone was dropped directly on the trigger (not on purpose) and it snapped it clean off.

Now I've ordered a replacement trigger for it and I'd like to replace it myself. I figure I'd have to open up the gearbox and hopefully not mess with too many things other than the trigger itself.

So saying that, I'm curious if anyone else has ever tried replacing just the trigger on M4's and the steps involved in doing so. Also any special tools that may be required for opening up a gearbox.

I've taken apart the top and bottom receivers in an M4 before, but that's as far as I've gotten, and with some improvised tools at that. I'm also looking into being our team's "mechanic" so i'm open to all knowledge on AEG gearboxes and internals.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
I have learned a great deal from watching the videos on youtube. It's a great place to start, and you will be surprised at the info on it.

You will need to take the GB apart to get to the trigger. It's not really that difficult to replace the trigger, but be very careful as you get to it. the videos will show that the GB can go 'sproing!' on you if you aren't slow and careful in taking it down.

Nice thing is, since you live so close to Airsoft Smith, if things don't go well, they can have your GB reassembled for you in a jiffy.

Good luck. Do your research first, then have the video you choose to go with closeby to play and follow along step by step as you start into the GB. Trust me..that helps!
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 PM

NexusB23 is a Private
Unfortunately, I've already searched all over youtube for videos regarding a trigger replacement and have found nothing

I'd also like to note that this isn't my gun, it's a friends, which wasn't purchased at smith, and as much as I'd like to open the GB up and mess around with it, I'd rather not, because I could break the gun further or lose small parts.

Thanks for the info Rygar, knowing that a trigger replacement shouldn't be that hard will boost my confidence a bit, but i'd still like to get a 'roundtable' of advice from the community before I start to actually open up the gun. Which I plan to do this week so we can get this gun a working trigger by this weekend.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
You need to look for 'Version 2 Gear box disassembly' on youtube as keywords. Or combination of those. sometimes you have to try different combos of words and sort through several videos to find one that you need or covers what you want..but I've always found what I needed eventually. I know for a fact there are several videos on youtube that show you how to take down a version 2 gearbox completely, including the trigger, and put it all back together. You just gotta work a little for it.

As for Airsmith, you don't have to have had purchased the gun there. They have people who work on them, do upgrades, stuff like that. If you were to bring in your GB and the trigger, for a small fee, they could have it done in 30 minutes or less depending on who is working that day. Or, perhaps someone else here on AO lives close enough to you that you could have them fix it for you. I would do it, but I'm a little bit too far south for that.
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Desert-Fox is a Private
Well this is my KWA 2GX gearbox; it shouldn't be much different from your E1 box.

Now assuming you get your gearbox opened up alright, you might as well do a relube and shim since you're in there. After clean the shell an gears off and get everything all relubed and put back into place, just lift up from the actual trigger end of the trigger and it should come right out; MIND THE SPRING ON THE BOTTOM; IT SHOULDN'T POP OFF BUT JUST CHECK IT. To install the other, put the spring on the new trigger just how it was on the old one and slide it in the reverse of how it came out.

Most importantly, don't rush it or force anything! Take your time!. Also, this is hat I did, and the picture above is one of the ones I took when I first opened my box, take pictures. As many as you need. They can be priceless.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM

NexusB23 is a Private
Never thought of taking pictures, but it totally makes sense. And it seems i've found a decent video of a ver. 2 gearbox dissasembly/assembly by echo1, still a little vague on the trigger part, but it'll probably have to do. Should be getting the replacement part in today so I'll start tinkering as soon as I can.

Quick question before I move on; If I'm accessing the gearbox, do I have to disconnect the motor as well? or can I leave it intact? Would I also have to completely disconnect the wires that go to the battery and fuse as well? I'm assuming for safety's sake I should, but if it's not necessary I'll skip it.

Quote:
Now assuming you get your gearbox opened up alright, you might as well do a relube and shim since you're in there. After clean the shell an gears off and get everything all relubed and put back into place
What kind of lube (specific brand or type) do I need to do this? And is there a brand/company that has high quality shims compared to others?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Lenahan is a Recruit Private
I was helped by Mechbox.com. Its just the standerd GB dissasembly and assembly.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM

hotballz87 is a Private
Any kind of silicon grease works, as long as it has no petroleum in the ingredients its safe to use. I use disc bake grease that I got from Auto Zone in my guns. You will have disconnect the battery, fuze, and motor to be able to get the gearbox out of the lower receiver, though.
As for shims, I personally like the systema shim set, it's $5 on asgi, but i think all shims are really the same, as long as they are measured properly.

Y u no play in Youngstown?!?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM

NexusB23 is a Private
Mechbox.com worked tremendously! Found a great vid of a dissasembly/reassembly and it focused heavily on the trigger install. As soon as I get the trigger I'll sit down to my new workbench and get to work. Getting some silicon grease today, and I'll order some shims for later. I'm sure that'll be another thread ;P

Thanks for all of the tips guys, that's why I came here! Can't wait to get out on the field this weekend!

Tags
broken part, echo 1, gearbox, replace, trigger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: