Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 PM

PMO Gordo is a Private
Airsoft X-training - Orienteering

Orienteering is a sport requiring participants using only a map and compass to navigate from point to point at diverse and usually unfamiliar terrain, and normally moving at speed. My favorite race format requires participants as individuals or teams visit as many checkpoints as possible in a fixed time (several hours to a full day); walking, running and resting as they see fit. The checkpoints are spread over a large area, and are pre-marked on a map issued shortly before the start of the event. In addition to a map, a paper or an electronic punch card (SI card) is also issued to participants for registering their visit to each checkpoint. Checkpoints may have different point values (announced when maps are issued), so participants have to plan beforehand. The winners are decided based on total accumulated points.

I wear my Airsoft combat gear for all the orienteering events. I think it a great way to train for Airsoft events, especially 24-hour milsim events. It helps me get used to my gear and provided great physical and mental conditioning. There are numerous areas where I have to climb over or crawl under logs, whack through thorny bushes, or trudge through muddy trails. In addition, I have to keep my mind focused when I was fatigued to be able to navigate correctly. There is one thing to remember, though. Don't carry your replica guns to the events as they are usually held on public lands.

Here is a video of my recent participation in a 6-hour orienteering event:

https://youtu.be/YdgEmn8hE2g

Last edited by PMO Gordo; 03-24-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM

Panda is a Private
They made Land Nav into a game?
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 AM

PMO Gordo is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
They made Land Nav into a game?
Is that a rhetorical question? If not, orienteering was originally a training exercise in land navigation for military officers in Sweden, which later became popular among civilians as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_orienteering

There's even an actual Airsoft variation: http://sixmmhunters.yolasite.com/, but I don't think it will get picked up in the states due to lack of access to large fields.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Panda is a Private
Somewhat rhetorical, but I genuinely didn't know there were people that did this for fun.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM

Jarhead27 is a Private
I remember land nav in MCT $#!t sucked I can't believe people like it lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:04 PM

kismet is a Private
My AFJROTC has a orienteering club and as he said it is a lot of fun.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:55 PM

epicfacethe3rd is a Private
we did one of these for boy scouts. i've gotta say they are pretty fun.
jarhead, it sucked because it was in training. normally fun things suck when you have sarge yelling at you.

"if it doesn't work, kick it. hard."
Callsign: "Zero"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: