Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 06-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Jables is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Brilliant similie used here Franc. Pretty accurate

I mean, if you think about it, what are they going to do? Form their own AO FB? And then what? Watch it just go to oblivion?

I would encourage people to come back to AO, then kill the power on AO FB.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Cyber is a Private
The reality is that forums are a now archaic form of communication for groups with the advent of social media services. Print media is dying, being overtaken by blogs and news feeds. Retail stores are dying, unable to compete with the price and ease of access of Amazon and eBay. Much of the population does not use landlines anymore. Cable services are obsolete with services like Netflix, Hulu and YouTube allowing users to instantly access thousands of hours of content. The list goes on and on, but the reality is the same. You are welcome to try and stem the tide of changing technology, but you're going to fail.

Facebook is easy. Universal. While some may swear against using it as if it is the mark of the beast, as of the beginning of 2015 the service draws 1.44 billion active users. (http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ers-worldwide/) The number of AO members? 77,099. However, lets be honest, 99% of those are inactive. I venture to say less than two hundred people use the forum regularly, but if someone had some more solid statistics I would be happy to hear it. It makes much more sense for newcomers to use their existing social media accounts to keep track of events and ask questions. Facebook users can get instant notifications on their phone when their questions are answered. It's just so convenient, taking the time to sign up for the forum and check it regularly is a slog to those used to the instantaneous feedback of social media.

And the reality is that the community is so fractured that a single website trying to unite all the individual factions is a wasted effort. War Den does their thing, Fallen Warriors does their thing, Out of the Box does their thing, ect. While players may jump from field to field and be a part of the different subgroups, most(not all) of the people profiting from the sport aren't about to collaborate with each other.

So, what can we do? We can shut down the Airsoft Ohio Facebook group. However, in terms of keeping track of events, players will go to the individual websites or Facebook groups of of Out of the Box, War Den, Fallen Warriors, ect. The website might see a temporary bump in users over the drama but it's not a long term solution.

However, maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. Yes, AO seems to be dying. But is that a problem? Is it hurting the sport in the long run? Overall, I'd have to say no. I understand that you all have had some happy memories of conversing with friends here. But instead of using that as an excuse to make the sport an elitist inhospitable place for newcomers, lets work together with the tools that we have to unite our community and make 2015 the best year of airsoft that Ohio has ever seen.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM

buckeyerev is a Private
I think that the biggest change that FB brings are instant replies from those who cling to their smart phones like a rabid coon to an ear of corn. The herd mentality then kicks in to provide a barrage of disparaging comments. AO tended to elicit thought out responses. We should have known that in as much as consumers of Go Pros and P stars have changed game play they would also shift the paradigm of this group's connectedness. At the end of the day it is what it is....
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Firefox is a Private
Still here, although rarely. I try to check in when I'm back in Ohio the very few times I'm around.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
The reality is that forums are a now archaic form of communication for groups with the advent of social media services. Print media is dying, being overtaken by blogs and news feeds. Retail stores are dying, unable to compete with the price and ease of access of Amazon and eBay. Much of the population does not use landlines anymore. Cable services are obsolete with services like Netflix, Hulu and YouTube allowing users to instantly access thousands of hours of content. The list goes on and on, but the reality is the same. You are welcome to try and stem the tide of changing technology, but you're going to fail.

Facebook is easy. Universal. While some may swear against using it as if it is the mark of the beast, as of the beginning of 2015 the service draws 1.44 billion active users. (http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ers-worldwide/) The number of AO members? 77,099. However, lets be honest, 99% of those are inactive. I venture to say less than two hundred people use the forum regularly, but if someone had some more solid statistics I would be happy to hear it. It makes much more sense for newcomers to use their existing social media accounts to keep track of events and ask questions. Facebook users can get instant notifications on their phone when their questions are answered. It's just so convenient, taking the time to sign up for the forum and check it regularly is a slog to those used to the instantaneous feedback of social media.

And the reality is that the community is so fractured that a single website trying to unite all the individual factions is a wasted effort. War Den does their thing, Fallen Warriors does their thing, Out of the Box does their thing, ect. While players may jump from field to field and be a part of the different subgroups, most(not all) of the people profiting from the sport aren't about to collaborate with each other.

So, what can we do? We can shut down the Airsoft Ohio Facebook group. However, in terms of keeping track of events, players will go to the individual websites or Facebook groups of of Out of the Box, War Den, Fallen Warriors, ect. The website might see a temporary bump in users over the drama but it's not a long term solution.

However, maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. Yes, AO seems to be dying. But is that a problem? Is it hurting the sport in the long run? Overall, I'd have to say no. I understand that you all have had some happy memories of conversing with friends here. But instead of using that as an excuse to make the sport an elitist inhospitable place for newcomers, lets work together with the tools that we have to unite our community and make 2015 the best year of airsoft that Ohio has ever seen.
I totally agree with everything you said except one thing; Is AO dying a real problem?!
Well I don't know. Do you think the community is better now than it used to be? Fields are closing, stores are closing, the average time in the sport for most players is about 16 months. So what do you think? is instant reply and follow up on facebook truly helping the sport or it just inhibit the players to lack any kind of commitment ?!

Back in the days, bumping a thread and events are frown upon. Now? If you don't do it, your thread or event fall into the abyss within 15min....

People don't want to be interested in anything nowaday, they want everybody and everything else to create that interest 24hrs/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year...

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 AM

Panda is a Private
I'm here. I check every once in a while. Like it or not, the forum is dying. It still holds a lot of valuable information, but nowadays with events being posted through Facebook, there's a more immediate response and gratification to it. Personally, I kinda saw this coming. I've never been one to complain about how people acted on here (I was fine), but reading old threads, you can see the pretentious and elitist attitude that a lot of people, myself included, had. Sarcasm and a$$holery were the norm and it alienated a lot of the newer people who may not have had a clue about the hobby, but we damn sure did a good job of alienating them and driving away any interest. Maybe the remaining people don't care, but there went a lot of people. I know a lot of you will go "well I am always helpful" and for a chunk of you, that's very true. However, the overwhelming attitude in the community was "get on my level or get out." I still see it today and I try not to start arguments and simply recoach the new players. All the old players have come and gone and we have no new players to replace them since we shooed them all away. That's my unpopular opinion.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 06-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Highroller

mr_kong is a Private First Classmr_kong is a Private First Class
oh hey guys wahts up.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Hoss is a Private
It's just sad seeing these forums fall to the side when they used to be so amazing. Especially since a lot of people don't use Facebook and these forums are their only source of information and news for everything airsoft (like me).

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later but I am still grasping on to some little pieces of hope that it won't. I see some familiar faces on here from time to time but it's definitely not like the good ole days.

Long live AO!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
The problem is not so much the forums themselves but rather the fact that most player don't give a rat a$$ about community, support, etc. They want to be spoon fed everything. They want to just get updates on facebook without searching for it. They want to google an answer rather than use a dedicated website pertaining to a specific topic. That being said, organizers and businesses are not much better as they are trying to isolate themselves from the other ones.

If it is the natural way to go, so be it. Problem with that is one day we will all wake up wondering where the knowledge, the stores, the fields and the players went without us noticing.

What is the solution? players need to start caring about each other, about their community, their stores and their fields. I would bet many of you can't name another store or field outside the one you usually go to. Which store closed this year so far, Which team is still active out there, etc.

We need to go from "me" to "we" and maybe then, we will bounce back up.

for the time being, it is just another topic to rant about :P

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 06-12-2015, 02:54 PM

2tall is a Private
At Hoss well said!

At blade even better said. We as a community need to stand strong and support the sport we all fell in love with. I for one also do not use Facebook for my own reasons but am on this forum and a few others daily and sometimes several times a day when I have time. We all need to support this forum because same day it will just disappear like some tires and teams have done
My rant complete ;-)
Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Glitch is a Private First Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
The problem is not so much the forums themselves but rather the fact that most player don't give a rat a$$ about community, support, etc. They want to be spoon fed everything. They want to just get updates on facebook without searching for it. They want to google an answer rather than use a dedicated website pertaining to a specific topic. That being said, organizers and businesses are not much better as they are trying to isolate themselves from the other ones.

If it is the natural way to go, so be it. Problem with that is one day we will all wake up wondering where the knowledge, the stores, the fields and the players went without us noticing.

What is the solution? players need to start caring about each other, about their community, their stores and their fields. I would bet many of you can't name another store or field outside the one you usually go to. Which store closed this year so far, Which team is still active out there, etc.

We need to go from "me" to "we" and maybe then, we will bounce back up.

for the time being, it is just another topic to rant about :P
Put this up on Facebook and you would cause chaos, but its something people need to understand. Thick skin is not a word around airsoft anymore and "we" definitely needs a revival.

It's like I have money one day, and the next day it's hey look at this new airsoft thingy take my money.

Be the change you want to see in this community.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM

epicfacethe3rd is a Private
yes, the lights still do work here. much to my surprise as well. can't believe we have a facebook, but then again, i don't use facebook.
also, does anyone know where texx went?

"if it doesn't work, kick it. hard."
Callsign: "Zero"

Last edited by epicfacethe3rd; 06-15-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:53 PM

513FireFly is a Private
I belong to the FB group, but use this as my main go-to. I see a lot of 'help' stuff going up, so i'm assuming FB is a good place to go for questions being answered and that. But what do i know? I prefer it here, as well. It's just so much easier to hop on AO and see the grid of games right there, uninterrupted.... Been around for a long time, don't want to see it be barren!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 PM

Kishi is a Private
I personally will not deny the ease of access that Facebook gives, however for scheduling and topics, these forums, this site, always have seemed easier to me.

No matter what method is used, to me it's all about the community and how we work together.
My team for example, is in the process of getting themselves registered here on AO, and from that point forward all of our events will only be posted here on AO. We will post stuff on our team's Facebook page of course, but it will all have links to things here in AO's site.

Again, I won't deny how much I miss the community and such of the "glory days" for this site.
"This is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. ...My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit..."
Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 AM

Yelir is a Private
I'm a newbie
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM

legoman0721 is a Private
Glad to have ya.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 AM

Kishi is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelir View Post
I'm a newbie
Yeah, but you're MY newbie
"This is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. ...My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit..."
Old 07-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Yelir is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Yeah, but you're MY newbie
GHEYYYYY! Lol jk, I'm TECHNICALLY not a big newbie since I was in the sport before I got in, but I am a newbie to MilSim and organized games.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 PM

cj93 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelir View Post
GHEYYYYY! Lol jk, I'm TECHNICALLY not a big newbie since I was in the sport before I got in, but I am a newbie to MilSim and organized games.
No offense but thats what all newbies say cus thats how we all got started for the most part.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Space Wizard

jonahm740 is a Private First Class
I agree with a lot of what is said here. Part of what made the Airsoft Ohio community so special was checking the forums every day and seeing tons of new discussion posts. Part of why the format shift occurred, or is rather being allowed to remain if you will, is that most of the veteran players that were the source of the knowledge or information have moved on. Several of us tried for a long time and still do from time to time to revive the forums, drive interest back, however the reality is the next generation of player for the most part, as Blade said, wants spoon fed everything.

As organizers, do we adapt to the times and keep doing what we do or do we cling to something that gets less players out, which isn't always a bad thing , an then die the slow death of attrition as newer players have no idea what is going on because they won't use this site.

As I see it, we could do one of a few things.

1. As suggested, pull the plug on AO Facebook and direct all traffic to this site. While this idea on the surface seems great, the issue is the website needs SOOO much work it isn't funny. When Blade, myself an Ray agreed to take over and split the costs of just the server upkeep we did it to try and preserve the knowledge and information here for players who want more than a ding on their smartphone.

The problem is, in order to upgrade and update the site it would be immeasurably expensive. To my knowledge, the last time an AO fundraiser was done, it was enough to keep the lights on for awhile, not upgrade critical components. I can't speak for Ray or Blade, but I barely have the funds to keep this site up month to month let alone upgrade it to get it to the newest V.Bulletin Format (5 or so versions behind I believe?) Even if we did, putting cash into something that barely has any traffic any more seems silly.

2. Let AO die and get put to rest. This too has been discussed and I don't think any of us want that to happen, however, we are back to the same issue of three people paying for a website that isn't being used but to sell off old gear or occasionally spur a discussion such as this.

Part of the problem even keeping this site up is that even though there is over a decade of great information, FAQ's, threads full of win....most new users won't take the time to read the forum rules let alone go back to read the FAQ threads or delve into the HOI. (That's hall of infamy for those who don't know ).

3. Let things be the way they are. This is the honestly likely outcome of this scenario but to be truthful not the most ideal. For those who are EO's you know how much work goes into an event and how hard it is to have nobody RSVP and then everyone show up or vice versa. From a player perspective, you guys are the lifeblood of this community. Firefox gave one of the best summaries of the state of AO that I have seen in a LOOONG time at the last training op we did.

I don't pretend to know the solution guys, but I feel the pain of missing the good old days of having a community here rather than faces on a blue backed screen. What's the answer? Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 PM
The Sniper

Duo Chan is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Duo Chan Send a message via MSN to Duo Chan Send a message via Yahoo to Duo Chan
I'm not dead yet.

http://google.com
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Space Wizard

jonahm740 is a Private First Class
*cue megatron I STILL FUNCTION*
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Big Teddy is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Big Teddy Send a message via Yahoo to Big Teddy Send a message via Skype™ to Big Teddy
I miss this place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival
All we need now is an animated gif of a dead horse going down hill fast whilst being beaten by a guy saying "You Mad BRO".

And googling now.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Musket_Ball is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Musket_Ball
Is this thing on?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 PM

Warcat is a Private
Send a message via MSN to Warcat
It is my understanding that everyone has migrated to facebook which is where all games and such are posted. Since I got banned for saying admins can behave like the Gestapo (to prove they aren't, I'm still working on the logic there) I don't know what is going on and don't particularly care.

I still come back her on occasion though. Maybe I'll get back into it. Maybe finish the other books to. Maybe.

-SARCASM - one of many services I provide, free of charge!

See my latest books:
The Airsoft Bible: Book of Comm
The Airsoft Bible: Book of Tactics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: