Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 08-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Location: In the basement, cuz that's where all the bass went.
Titleist is a Private
Send a message via ICQ to Titleist Send a message via AIM to Titleist Send a message via Yahoo to Titleist
Tokyo Marui M14 Mini-review

No not a Mini TM M14, this is a brief write up for the Marui M14:

Well guys, it's finally here, and while it's not as groundbreaking as we might have hoped, G&G stealing some of their thunder, this is DEFINATELY the gun we've been waiting for.

All I can say is that this gun, much like the M249 will weed out the people who will actually use this gun, why do I say that? Because this is a big gun, with a wood stock and a scope this is also a massively hefty piece of hardware. However that's also one of the most impressive things about it. I've always been fairly dissapointed getting into a new series of gun, mainly because I know that a new gun will require a metal body, or reinforced this and that. This gun however feels just totally solid right out of the box. There's a reason why this is more expensive then most AEGs, you get what you pay for. The stock is serviceable, I'd say it's good but obviously aftermarket parts like a wood stock (which I have heard guarder will be out with soon) and higher end stocks, possibly copies of companies such as McMillan and whatnot should be pretty quick to follow. I'm sure within the next few weeks in fact you'll see scope mounts from TM, Guarder, and King Arms, if not countless more. Guarder and KA already have RAS units in development.

Now something I mentioned already was that it's a great gun out of the box, speaking of the box, obviously marui has been saying that they weren't really understanding of the popularity and demand for the M14, that's bull crap. They absolutely know that this gun is going to be in huge demand and popularity, and it shows in the box the gun comes with. Most guns come in a styrofoam packing, this thing comes in a cardboard box with a layer of black fabric underneath the gun to look like a showpiece. TM obviously has pride in this gun and it's well deserved.

Size wise I've taken a picture with 3 of my other guns, the AK74SU and M933 being the smallest I own AEG-wise. It's not horribly longer than an M16A2 or even a fullsize G36, the main thing that makes it feel massive is of course it's not a gun with a pistol grip, so you're holding the gun closer to the rear of the stock. The other thing is that after the receiver the gun becomes very long and very narrow, so when you're fielding the gun, man, it feels like it just goes on forever.

Unlike the G&G gun the hopup is located in the magwell of the gun, with a dial that's probably the easiest to set of ANY Marui gun to date, it's a little wheel that you turn clockwise or counter-clockwise, with a nice ratcheting action with each adjustment, within 30 seconds I was able to get my hopup tuned to perfection. Now because of this the cocking handle of the gun absolutely has no purpose, other than to be wickedly cool. The loading mechanism, rotates just like the real action, and the sound that the cocking handle makes is just pure music, people are gonna be playing with this thing for hours. It has no purpose, and Marui has learned to make it durable, no more dead MP5's after trying and H&K slap here. It goes back with ease and returns with the greatest of sounds.

I opted for OD as my stock choice, most likely for skirmish use, I may paint it one day or most likely not. I plan to replace it with a wood stock as soon as I'm able to, one thing to note is that the battery compartment is a bit on the cramped side, not the actual compartment but the hole for the battery itself, so putting a big battery like my 2400mah 9.6v takes a little bit of precision as to not break anything.

Trademarks all look great, all springfield trades are there, as are the mandatory ASGK and Tokyo Marui ones as well. Mine arrived from Redwolf with an orange plastic M4 flashhider superglued on to the threads so as to avoid any problems from customs. Which was a headache to remove, a red hot knife, a wrench, and some annoyance later the threads were naked so that I could put the M14 flashhider back on. Just in case anyone was wondering it uses a standard 14mm thread, so if you choose to make this gun even longer, well knock yourself out.

Field stripping works just like the real gun, even a bit easier. Personally I'm gonna give the nod to G&G for best and easiest dissasembly, but it's still MILES ahead of any other AEG on the market. Seriously, it's nutty simple, so when a stock or aftermarket receiver/barrel part comes out you won't be spending hours taking the gun apart, or visa versa.

Okay now for the fun part, performance, yeah it's good, what else did you think I was gonna say. I don't know the exact inner barrel length, but it's definately a bit longer than an M16 barrel, if in the range of a G3 series. It's big, and because of that it's extremely accurate, not as good as a sniper rifle, we're not talking like 500fps sniper rifle accurate (like some of my old APS2's). But behind my house are redwood trees, and about 80-100 feet from my back porch is one tree with a knot from a branch that's about 2-3 inches wide, I was able to keep almost all my shots on this thing without missing a beat, just with the iron sights. So imagine what you'll get with a tn barrel and a 400fps upgrade or more.

Now speaking of upgrades, yep there's a downside, it's a new mechbox, and while I haven't dug into the internals myself, the news is that the V7 gearbox uses proprietary gears, mainly slightly smaller gears, so unless you're DYING to go to 500fps or higher right now, you'll have to stick with the stock gears. And on that note I should point out that most people don't realize that with a good choice of spring and other bits that most stock gears are quite strong. So I'm not too concerned, I plan on taking the gun up to 400fps, put a tn barrel in it, then call it done. Rate of fire is very good even for the 8.4v battery that I got with the gun as part of the package deal. This V7 gearbox feels super responsive even on a lower voltage battery, definately not the same as a V2 or V3 gearbox, snappy is what I'd call it. On my chrono I clock the gun at 288-292fps, definately decent, but definately something to upgrade.

Magazines are well built for sure, too bad they don't fit all that great in most chest harnesses, but a minor problem for now. DEN is now stocking spare normal capacity magazines for the M14, I snagged a few of them as I don't play with hicaps and usually around 8 magazines is just fine for me.

The one biggest thing that really impressed me is that there's very little plastic on the gun besides the heatguard and stock, barrel and receiver are all aluminum, which is extremely impressive since the only upgrade possibility is a steel receiver and barrel for those who REALLY want as real an m14 as possible.

As soon as I get a decent mount for the gun I'll be putting my Leupold Mk4 scope on the gun, a black hawk cheek pad, and that's about it. The great thing about the gun is that you really can't go totally insane on external mods, sure you can do the Black Hawk Down look (if you must), M14 with a scope, or something more spec ops with the upcoming RAS'. It's a great gun in terms of looks, and styling, it's hard to go wrong with one of them. So while a scope isn't anything special, with a platform this good it's definately a great long range assault rifle or sniper platform. Again as the pictures show it's a huge gun, you'll either love that aspect or quickly grow tired of it. At 6'1" it feels fine to me, to anyone shorter it's gonna feel like a PSG1 length gun. But it's definately great.

I think the exceptional thing is that if you ask the question "was this worth the 3-4 year wait, the countless speculation, and tragic misfires like the Airsoft Club m14?" yes absolutely, often times an AEG will come out that's "meh" quality, not all that great at first, but something that can be improved upon greatly with upgrades. This gun comes out of the gate so far and so fast that really for most people the stock gun alone might be enough with a few minor internal upgrades. For others it'll need a new stock, some other metal parts, and some optics, but no matter which camp you're in the gun is such a cut above the rest that you won't get this gun and find yourself making a list of parts to get. Get a stock M4 and you realize you'll need a metal body and a reinforced barrel, get this gun and you'll realize the next thing on your list is accesories and a few cosmetics.

I'll try to add to this review, I'm also working up something much more indepth for arnies, but feel free if you have any questions, answering them is the least I can do.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

My Gallery 'o Guns: http://www.lawndartdesign.com/guns/

Last edited by Titleist; 08-13-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
Send a message via ICQ to Titleist Send a message via AIM to Titleist Send a message via Yahoo to Titleist
While this is technically a bump, something new to add, King Arms now as a scope mount out that fits both marui and g&g guns, however surprisingly enough the Marui M14 also fits real steel mounts to a degree. I went about trying to mount a real ARMS 18 mount to my M14, it fits like a glove on first look, but there's one catch, the hole in the receiver that marui used is slightly smaller than the real thread size of the M1A/M14/M21/M25s so I had to re-tap the hole to allow the real bolt to grab on.

Also the fit of the piece that slides into the notch before the rear sight assembly is a damn tight fit, a hammer and a little bit of force got it into place, combined with a safe bit of loctite I'm certain that unless I take a sledge hammer to the scope it shouldn't be going anywhere. Excuse the Eotech, that's just on there for the time being till I mount my tactical scope.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Last edited by Titleist; 08-26-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 PM

insane is a Private
Send a message via AIM to insane
Nice to see Marui finally using metal parts, btw nice writeup!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Sixes is a Private
Send a message via MSN to Sixes Send a message via Yahoo to Sixes
im considering buying an m14 now because of that review thanks titleist for helping me dish out more cash lol.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
Dark, you're welcome I do what I can to help spend the money of today's youth.

master, as for what I've done, the gun is being upgraded to 400fps by AEX right now. I've already installed a 550mm tn barrel, that combined with my .29 APS grandmasters and at just 320fps it's already wicked accurate, most fields here in CA only allow 400fps, so it'll be a marksman's rifle, eventually I'll take it to 500fps for specialized games, but since there's a lack of upgrades I'll keep it simple for now.

Obviously the ARMS 18 mount is something I showed you, I've got the rings already, ARMS of course. And I'm planning on mounting my Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M1 Mark 4 tacical scope, which looks like this:

Not a cheap scope, but I also love the real optics, much to the razzing of Loki, it's my vice, I can admit that.

I'm also going to try my woodworking skills and try fitting the marui receiver into a real USGI walnut stock, it doesn't make sense paying 250 bucks for a guarder stock when I can modify a 50 dollar one in a couple days. Worse case I break it and buy the guarder stock whenever they announce that, and you KNOW they'll do that.

by the way, master, the "F" review you speak of, it's total crap, the marui is the best M14 AEG out there, hands down. I've seen multiple faulty G&G m14s and they creak like there's no tomorrow. Seriously, it's a great gun, G&G can do revisions and version changes till they get it right, but marui takes the time to get it right on the first round. Also a year from now there will just be a **** ton of aftermarket parts for this gun, I doubt that'll happen with the G&G one. The 3rd parties LIVE on marui's guns for upgrading, they make their profit off 'em, either way it's a great gun.

When I get the leupold mounted I'll be sure to update this thread.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
TN barrel was 55 dollars, and the upgrade to 400fps should be about 50-75 bucks when I pick the gun up next week.

The ranges at most of the fields here in CA really don't allow for 500fps guns, so something that does accurate 400fps semi with the ability to turn and burn in Full Auto is nice.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
Metal Bushings and a spring upgrade.

Too bad I just called 'em today and they said for one reason or another the guy who works on 'em isn't in till next week, so I won't get my gun till at least next friday. LAME!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM

CrAzY CaNuCk is a Private
Send a message via AIM to CrAzY CaNuCk
What company did you buy the gun through?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
I mention it in the top post, but I pre-ordered via Redwolf.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
master, I can't really walk you through the process, but basically it involves removing the receiver from the stock, then taking apart the front barrel assembly till you have the barrel/hopup removed.

The main problem is since the hopup is shorter than the M16/Mp5/G36 hopups you'll find that the there are two vertical slots cut into the side of the barrel, outside, that a clip on the hopup locks into, basically making sure the hopup and the barrel stay together. Because it's shorter a normal barrel's slots won't line up, I had to mark where they should be and then using a file I had to carefully file two slots so that the clip held firm. This is minor modification but still annoying.

Finally got my scope for the M14, too bad my M14 won't be done for at least another week according to AEX, GRRRRRR....

oh and this is what happens when you let someone ask you to put a long scope on a short gun, *cough* Almega made me do it *cough*:

I'm sorry loki.

Last edited by Titleist; 09-03-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:19 AM

insane is a Private
Scope looks horribly long!!!! That's rediculous man.

Anyway , I hope it looks better on the m14. Which it will, I just want to see it mounted by next Friday.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
Send a message via AIM to monkey_slap
can you explain breaking down the gun a little more for me

Last edited by monkey_slap; 09-02-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
These two reviews are probably more helpful in terms of the actual breakdown:

http://airsoftextreme.com/tmm14review.htm

and

http://www.hammermods.com/ImpactM14.htm

Also I should correct that the Leupold is just going to sit on my M14 for a short time. Loki has recommended another brand a scope, Sightron, which I'll use on the Marui gun, and the Leupold will sit on my Real M1A.

I'll probably put the Leupold on the gun for photo purposes, Marui M14 I mean.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 PM

insane is a Private
Can you post pics of the M1A? I've never heard of it before. I'm guessing that's off of (or the first) m4, m16, m14 line?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
M1A is the semi-auto, non-selectfire, version of the M14. I will post pics later next week or soon after.

M1A looks exactly the same minus the selector switch.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
Guys seriously, you've never heard of the M1A, Springfield Armory makes it.

As for spring, I recommend a guarder sp110 spring. This is advice given to me by foxtrot as a general spring for most AEG upgrades, not specific to the M14.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
At this point you're asking me to guess, I really don't know. I've owned guns with spring upgrades and just bushings that have lasted 2-3 years, and I only says 2-3 years because I've sold them before I had a chance to find out if there was a breaking point.

Honestly the gun has only been out a month, so I'm just guessing. I hope my gun lasts a while, I'll upgrade it with reinforced gears, piston, all that good stuff when the specific parts come out. But for now it's a waiting game, to see who will release the parts. I'm sure guarder and other companies will be up to the task very shortly.

Besides the upgrades my next immediate task is to try to see if I can get my m14 to fit into a real USGI walnut stock.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:12 PM

vbtb110 is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to vbtb110
GARAND PEOPLE!!! EVER HEARD OF ONE?? "The greatest battlefield implement ever devised" Dwight D. Eisenhower i believe. Yes, the M1A, or M1 Garand is what he's talking about. It was a non-select fire M14 with an 8 round internal magazine.

This post was made on a Macbook Wheel
Old 09-03-2005, 09:26 PM

insane is a Private
I'm not to into the older guns, so No, I actually did not know what a m1a was...Sorry

Edit* Thanks for filling in all my blanks guys!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
Wow will some people quit telling mis-information?

First off, Titleist is not making an M1a out of his TM M14. He is/has bought a REAL Springfield Armory M1a.

Secondly: Yes, the M1 Garand and the M14/M1a are related - But, it was a rather big step. The M14 and M1a both have removable magazines - Not internal fed like the M1 garand.

Thirdly: USE FREAKING GOOGLE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A GUN IS.

Fourth: Difference between M1a and M14: M1a = Semi Auto only. Normally a match/civ rifle. M14 = Full auto Military.

Sheesh.

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
Old 09-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Professional Sock Monkey

Titleist is a Private
Master, I am gonna assume you're talking about the stock gun with no upgrades? Because it'd be completely silly to install an upgraded spring and leave the stock plastic bushings in the gun. I hope that's not what you mean when you ask about how long the gun would be good to use without the bushings.

In stock config i've never seen a completely stock marui AEG break under normal use. Keep in mind that's with 8.4v batteries. That's what marui recommends, the minute you upgrade the power or rate of fire on a gun you open yourself up to the question of "when is this gun gonna break?"

Honestly this is now a general AEG 101 question, and there are far better articles out there than I can describe. When I mount my scope and start work on fitting the stock I'll most likely have to start another dedicated thread as this one has gotten just a tiny bit off track.

With this gun it's really an unknown as to what will work and what will not. A year or two from now it'll be a piece of cake, but for now it's gonna be a guessing game of what upgrades work and what don't.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: