Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM

runner3 is a Private
Gas vs Propane

I have a few gas guns, and I was just wondering peoples opinion on using green gas or propane with an adapter and silicon oil.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Radz is a Private
Propane- slightly [more] FPS, doesn't bankrupt me, add two drops silicon every 4~ sidearm mags or so, cheaper, smells funny, costs less, Only $4 a bottle, not as expensive- did I mention it's cheaper?

I looked, and there are no GG vs Propane threads that I can find on AO. Maybe Google, but not here. I was surprised.

EDIT since I was wrong about the FPS. Carry on.

Last edited by Radz; 06-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Panda is a Private
I have found that green gas smells better than propane. I don't know, that may just be me, but yeah. Anyways, green gas is essentially propane with silicon lubrication built-in. Performance-wise, there's very little difference between them. The only difference I could see is if the propane-powered gun wasn't lubricated, which would create wear and tear on the gun.

EDIT: Cost-wise, Propane is better to use. A decent can of propane is 3-4 dollars, plus a 10-15 dollar propane adapter. This will last about as long as two 10 dollar green gas cans.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Radz is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I have found that green gas smells better than propane. I don't know, that may just be me, but yeah.
There are scientific studies done about this. I'd have to find the links from years ago (I found this stuff, wasn't actually involved in airsoft at the time). Apparently retailers claimed Green Gas was NOT propane and that using propane was dangerous. Or something to that affect. So studies were done. In the end retailers were attacked due to the unsafe composition of their storage containers (cans GG is in). Pretty interesting read from around 05, I think. See if I can dig it up later.

Green gas is lubricated propane without the bittering agent, and little else difference.

Hence why GG smells better, they don't put the smell into it.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Loose is a Private
Thread on real world comparison of the two.
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums...?topic=91238.0

There's tons more of these on ASR as it was a huge topic when propane adapters starting coming out. Like the others said green gas is basically propane with silicon added to it. Though contrary to what DakRadz said, propane normally does provide a higher velocity.

Also remember that Green Gas is a generic term. It pretty much can be used for any gas (though it is normally propane). Additives can vary which affects the PSI output per brand of Green Gas, and hence changes in velocity. Not every brands GG is the same.

Tags
gas, green, oil, propane, silicon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: