Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Oscar is a Private First Class
Protect your mouth.

I learned a lesson this weekend. Wear mouth protection. I have a fractured tooth and a chipped tooth with part of the back blown out. You never think it's going to happen to you until it's too late. I'll be wearing mouth protection from now on.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Spades is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Spades
ouch man, i am sorry to hear that! i had my tooth shot once, thankfully it was from far enough away to not do any damage, but it still hurt real bad! now i make sure my shemage covers my mouth when ever i'm in an engagement, but i still don't feel like thats enough!

The original, Spades...
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Big Clips is a Private First ClassBig Clips is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Big Clips Send a message via Yahoo to Big Clips
I also learned a similar lesson this weekend at SaberTooth

When in a CQB game, wear some protection on the face (not just goggles)

The Moar You Know...

* When you take a 6mm BB to the face from a mater of inches, you bleed like a SOB.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:31 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Clips View Post
I also learned a similar lesson this weekend at SaberTooth

When in a CQB game, wear some protection on the face (not just goggles)

The Moar You Know...

* When you take a 6mm BB to the face from a mater of inches, you bleed like a SOB.
Yes. We saw a good 4 bloody welts at Sabre Tooth. One guy had 2 of them and I felt really bad being the one who gave him one of them. But at the same time if you choose to play airsoft, especially if it's CQC, the responsibility falls upon yourself to protect yourself.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Decoy is a Private First Class
I am sorry to say welcome to the club, Oscar.

6MM. Militia
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Motis is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Motis
Just as Decoy said, welcome to the club, happened to me several years ago. Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Ive been wearing a mouth guard since then. I have a very nice one that my dentist made for me. They are form fit to your mouth so that I often forget its ever there. I also wear a pb mask indoors.

I can't understand how so many people go without protecting their teeth. It doesnt happen often, but once it does, those dentist bills will easily fill you with regret.

PEACE...
through superior fire power
Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM

airsoftman is a Private
Send a message via AIM to airsoftman
this has never happened to me, but i shot my sisters boyfriends 2 front teeth out!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Unicorn,

You didnt happen to be the one who blasted the sexy guy hoarding your women, booze and duckets that was hidding behind a table and poped his head up were you? On the third floor?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftman View Post
this has never happened to me, but i shot my sisters boyfriends 2 front teeth out!

Im going to quote your sig on this one...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 PM

I was in the room both time when the guy with 2 nasty welts got them. Are you referring to the Squad vs squad rounds or the previous rounds?

I'm pretty sure it was me who got him in the cheek during the squad vs squad. The forehead one I am unsure of as me and the guy in the grey sweater were both shooting.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Good news. I'm all fixed up and ready to go. Now to get a mouth guard before the weekend.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
One thing that concerns me regarding Oscar's injury is that it didn't happen in tight-quarters like you'd expect. He was hit from what...75-100 feet away? I was thinking tooth damage would only happen if a) the gun was shooting fast, or b) you were hit from close range.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
Edit: No reason to post that. I'm sorry. I got lucky, and I now wear mouth protection in CQB and in airsoft in general.

It still scared me enough to buy a mouth guard for CQB. and ALWAYS wear a shamag every time else.

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu

Last edited by Fox; 02-05-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
I tried to wear a mouth guard, but it actually irritated and wore my gums almost raw. I may have to get one from a dentist or something.

I've used a shemagh and balaclava for indoors and usually just one or the other while playing outdoors. I've been fortunate enough that the Balaclava is tough/stretchable enough that it absorbs all impact and all BBs headed for my teeth have been stopped by it.

It doesn't protect from stinging when a BB directly impacts skin, but every time I've gotten hit when it would have gone into my mouth, it just stops.

Motis, did it cost to get the Mouth guard made from your dentist?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Mine happened at somewhere between 50-75ft. I was up on a ridge and the person that fired on me was down in a valley below. Supposedly he had a stock weapon. My teeth have always been strong, but he hit my upper front left tooth at the bottom where it's weakest and it took a chip out and blew half of the back out. It also hit my lower left front tooth and caused damage, but it wasn't enough to actually fracture it. The dentist told me it would be ok. After the dentist got done you can't even tell it happened. He did that good a job. Too bad it was my front biting tooth. I'll have to be careful from now when I eat since the tooth is a lot weaker. My days of biting my nails are over. lol I'm just glad to have a whole tooth again.

I'll definitely be wearing a mouth guard. No balaclavas for me. I'm not taking that chance. The only thing I won't like about it is having to spit it out every time I need to say something, which also leaves me open to a potential repeat scenario.

People do need to take the risk of tooth damage more seriously. You don't realize how much you'll miss your original teeth if you ever lose even part of one. Patching a tooth doesn't make it as whole as it was originally.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

If we could all get over the social stigma of paintball masks, or rather paintball-STYLE masks (don't need all that peripheral protection), this would be a non-issue.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 PM

TacticalSniper is a Private
I got my 1 of my teeth shot out at a cqb game by a spring m16 that was like 20 bucks. It hurts real bad. I just wear a camo bandana around my mouth.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Chips N Dip is a Private
I use a paintball mask but I would like something with more peripheral view.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM

Motis is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Motis
OSCAR: Ask your dentist if he can make you a mouth guard. They are form fit to you mouth and are much less bulky than a store bought one. You can talk very well with them in, and I often forget I even have it in my mouth.

EDIT: my tooth was also chipped when I was shot from a distance. It was a spring gun (270fps?). I guess it just has to hit you just right.

RED: Mine was free, but I believe Ive heard of other people having to pay for them (assuming from other dentists). If this is true it could be 70 dollars or so.
My dentist told me that he does them from free, but theres a possiblity my insurance just covers it or something.

PEACE...
through superior fire power
Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM

genocide43110 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to genocide43110 Send a message via Yahoo to genocide43110
While I was at a game at Springfield, I was sitting off a path about 80 feet or so away and there was a group of guys walking down it. We opened fire and one of the guys turned and sprayed and I was hit in the mouth. It ended up chipping one of my teeth and broke another in half. It was no fun. Trying to eat McDonald's with a broken tooth is no fun. The cold weather also made it worse. I had the tooth that was broke capped. My dentists just put some kind of material on the other one that was chipped. I think it was around $500 in dental work. So lesson learned, wear some kind of portection for the mouth.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanker View Post
If we could all get over the social stigma of paintball masks, or rather paintball-STYLE masks (don't need all that peripheral protection), this would be a non-issue.
It would have to be designed correctly to let you breathe. I think it detracts from my concept of milsim too. Mouth guards aren't much better, but at least you feel like you're playing milsim and not paintball.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 PM

I shallow my pride ever time I go into a CQB environment. And every time I hear a gun shoot I instantly close my mouth and quench my lips. I wore a Pball mask at Sabre Tooth and it wasnt actually all that bad. Just makes it difficult to look down your sights.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM

<Maverick> is a Private
The only reason I can think of NOT to wear a mouth guard is the fact that most of us use radios to communicate. I can see taking it out everytime to say something being a pain in the arse. But then again, you can't put a price on eye protection and I guess teeth are next in line of importance.

www.TeamShadowLegion.com
Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I think it detracts from my concept of milsim too.
You'll get no argument from me there, but at least it's only a visual effect. People not bringing radios or following orders hurts milsim far more than a paintball mask could ever hope to do.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Iron Maiden is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Iron Maiden Send a message via Yahoo to Iron Maiden
alright, sorry to sort of thread jack, but I will give you guys a lil tip on what you might want to start carrying into the field...specially if it is CQB. Take a small ziplock baggy of powdered milk with you. IF you get a tooth shot out..save the tooth in this baggy and if you can get enough of the powdered milk wet with your saliva to cover the tooth, and keep it in the powdered milk until you can get into the dentist...sometimes it can be saved.

A strong man stands up for himself...but a stronger man stands up for others
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: