Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 06-30-2003, 05:13 PM

Cobalt-Blue is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Cobalt-Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Cobalt-Blue
review- TM mk23 SOCOM NBB

this is a rewrite of the newer review I submitted to the gear review sections before the second coming of the AO hacker. enjoy

review- TM mk23 SOCOM NBB by Cobalt-Blue
**gun- Tokyo-marui (Heckler and Koch) MK23 SOCOM NBB set.

**price- 149 (friend of friend oversees) I see it most often in the 160 range.

**Includes- Hardshell case with eggshell lining and slot for padlock,
1-mk23 SOCOM pistol NBB,
1-LAM unit with red LED for laser simulation and a blue/white taclight with two modes- flashlight and signal,
1- SOCOM suppressor.

**Detail/markings- this gun is fully licensed by H+K for trademarks however they had been chiseled off by my compatriot before shipping. The markings on the slide for caliber, the trademark USSOCOM patent numbers on both silencer and LAM are intact as well as "US Gov't .45" on slide, and the H+K logo with .45 ACP is on the mags. Only on mine, the H+K symbol was chiseled off of the slide and ejection port.

At first glance the detail is awesome, however from no distance does the plastic resin body perfectly resemble a real metal firearm. The kit in itself with the case is very impressive- there is a slot for an extra mag, and assembling/disassembling the gun is very easy and the result is quite intimidating. The profile of this weapon is very distinct and very cool, with or without the attachments. The trades and markings are really realistic looking, unless you have the real thing or the KSC next to it; then the markings and some parts are obviously fake- like the decocker- (it's simply cast onto the side and performs no function on the TM NBB.) Nor does the TM NBB have the same grips of the KSC, the grips are comfortable and useful but simply the same plastic as the rest of the gun. However, in the absence of the real thing or the KSC mk 23, or if you don't care enough about minor-in-airsoft-terms details, this gun is mightily impressive.

**realism pros and cons-
Pros=
Real functioning suppressor,
cool lam attachment,
decent case- certainly good for everyday storage and minor drops and bumps,
very convincing trades,
gun is a monster- it is HUGE

Cons=
Non Blow Back,
trades are not 100% realistic,
heavy trigger pull,
non funtioning decocker,
weak function of LAM attachement
gun is a monster, it is HUGE

** a note about trigger pull
the trigger pull on this gun, like in all NBBs is pretty stiff, though you will with practice, have little to no problem with accuracy. once one is used to the stiffer action of the pistol, one can compensate for the increased trigger discipline required to overcome your instinct to jerk the trigger rather than squeeze it properly.

**LAM- Ok the first disappointing thing about this gun, unless you are a strict GBB fan, is the LAM is not that bright. Though the bulb does put out a nice Blue-white light, the fact is it doesn't have much in the way of beam distance, nor the output for true retina destruction. As a taclite, it is at most mildly blinding, which could be enough for you in CQB in the dark. It can also dimly light your footpath for those odd night games. but if you want a laser, then you're stuck with a dim red LED which can't be seen from 5 feet away from the brightness of the light masking it. (yes, the LED and light are ALWAYS on together) The best use I've found so far for my tastes is signaling, since when you use the on switch one way it's a beam, the other way it's a pulse. oh, and when the suppressor is attached, you can use the LAM as sort of a foregrip for those double and triple taps.

**Suppressor- this little guy is worth the cost of admission alone! Due to the gun being a NBB, it has no slide ratcheting, so if you could disguise the Chirp it makes when firing, for all intensive purposes the gun is silent. In terms of sounds, unsuppressed the gun makes a distinct upper mid- high frequency chirp along with the gas sound escaping the barrel; suppressed it makes a minute low-frequency and low amplitude "thwump" kind of pop and a little click of the hammer/internals retracting after a shot. it is not very audible past 30 feet outdoors- and the BB's are VERY noticeable because they WHOOSH through the air like in a movie. I had my roommate fire triple and double taps past my head a from forty five feet and thirty feet- it was like the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan. Achieving tactical advantage via silence is not only reliable with this gun, it is absolutely feasible, and with the gun's range and hitting power, your opponent's squad may not know for a quite a few more precious seconds, where your killing shots are originating from (but that's up to your fieldcraft to prolong)

**Mag- The mags are like in most gas guns, the real source of weight in this gun. mags are easy to fill. never had a problem with overspilling or leaks. i own two mags and they both perform flawlessly. The mags have nice H+K .45 trades on them.

**FPS- I myself do not own a chrono, but before AO got taken out by a hacker, someone at the store had chrono-ed the gun with 134a at 275 FPS, and with HFC-22 at or around 310. It stings mightily out to 50-75 feet regardless, even when suppressed. It shoots hard for a 134a gun, and the 275 sounds low to me but I do not have a chrono- and thus an objective number- and will not comment on that further until I do.

**Accuracy- For accuracy OdinspearX and I went out back to where the city of manchester has placed a green utility box on a utility pole exactly 75' from my back deck. this target is too tall to be a head shot, and too thin to be a torso. it shows only that the gun is both reliable and accurate for somewhat tricky shots out to a skirmish expectable distance.

80degrees, with 134a, no wind, target a green box 6 inches wide by 18 tall.

mk23 SOCOM Un.

.2 =70%
.23=90%
.25=90%

mk 23 SOCOM Supp.

.2 =70%
.23=75%
.25=85%

a furthur review of the gun's accuracy testing vs other popular newbie skirmish guns can be found in my other reviews on airsoft ohio.

**Gas use-You can in a target environment get about 2.75 to 3 mags out of a shot of gas. However in a skirmish, since you don't want to use an odd numbered refilling cycle, I'd rely on two BB mags vs gas. (assuming you have 2 or more mags.)

**Stripping and cleaning- to strip the gun, you rack the slide back an inch or so until it no longer obscures the slide catch, then press the other side of the slide catch and pull it through. then slide the slide forward and up (you'll notice there are plastic guide tabs to follow.) the hop up is readily available as soon as you open it up and easily adjustable to various BB weights (it's VERY sensitive to adjustment, but highly accurate. the Hop up is very much worth tinkering with once you've found your preferable BB weight- you can achieve some serious accuracy out to AEG distance with this pistol with careful adjustments and BB choice.)

**final thoughts-After all this time, and despite my other GBBs, I love this gun. Man, if you were a metal gear solid fan this gun is the best. even if you are not, this gun is much cheaper than the GBB one, and it comes with all the attachments you'll want to get anyway. The Suppressor is in fact the best part of the gun, aside from being able to use it with hfc22 when the temps drop- as they so often do in New England. I would thoroughly recommend this gun to anyone, newbie or pro alike- especially for the newbie because of it's ease of stripping and cleaning, and it has all the stuff that you'll want with it. (except for an oversized holster for the thing!) If you are a real stickler for realism, then this gun may leave a little to be desired, but it is really detailed regardless. If you need a cool looking, performance packed, skirmish capable BB gun with extras for cheap- then this is most definitely it.

Last edited by Cobalt-Blue; 10-23-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:40 AM
Decep

I've heard that the trigger is a little iffy. Do you have any comments regarding it?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:31 AM

Cobalt-Blue is a Private
trigger- the trigger pull is, as in all nbb's harder than the gbb's, but not really that bad at all. It's simply a different feel. I've not seen or heard anything wrong with the trigger. I HAVE heard the KJW USP trigger will frequently break.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Aragorn

So is it ok to use green gas in it?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:55 PM

Cobalt-Blue is a Private
check this thread-
http://www.airsoftohio.com/showthrea...&threadid=1040

Old 08-24-2003, 08:04 PM

Cobalt-Blue is a Private
shameless cross promotion-

I promised this in my review and only recently got around to it- For more results on the accuracy testing of this and other fine pistols, check this link

http://www.airsoftohio.com/showthrea...&threadid=2016

Old 08-28-2003, 10:29 AM

seal m4 ris is a Private
Would this gun be good for me? Im kinda knew and im only 14 but would it be a good start for a gas gun?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:12 PM

seal m4 ris is a Private
thank texx im still looking but i think i like the mk23 the best!!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:01 PM
turbo3926

is the lam unit w/ led and flashlight removeable? if so, how des it attach, and can you put a real laser/flashlight combo for pistols on it????
Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Thompson35

anyone ever heard of getting a new hop up put in one because the one i might gets hopup is completly broken i dont know what all is broken but all the hop up, how can this be fixed? like is there anyway to install a new one?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:18 AM
PunisherMIA

I love the MK23 socom. My brother has one and its a very reliable gun. Sad to say that it shoots better than my Beretta M9

Ross
PunisheR MIA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: