Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

RNA is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to RNA Send a message via Yahoo to RNA
real steel question

so my step dad and brother and my self are looking for a new series of hunting rifles and decided we wanted an AR15 of some sort.. we were looking around and found one that caught our eye..

its a remington R15 and R25

my question is.. does anyone have any expierence with the rifle... i know its remington but i want to know is it worth getting over other AR's i cant find really any reviews on it. so any help would be great

19:55:46) Agent_Spencer: It's like aids and win mixed together.
(19:56:11) Agent_Spencer: It's awesome, feels great, and there's no known cure and people thought only duo on duo sex could cause it.

(23:21:15) Naga: Well, I have to get up at 7 and take my mom for a ride...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Koala is a Recruit Private
My dad has a DPMS AR-15 catalog. If you can get one they have a lot of real steel AR-15 rifles. They only thing about it is that the carrying handle isn't removable and it is semi only since it is a civilian rifle.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
Well duh it's semi only, you can only get semi only unless you pay out your *** for the permits and move to a state where you can actually get fully automatic weapons. That's a lot of red tape. Ask Maglips about AR's or whatever, he knows a lot more than some catalogue would tell you.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM

WARHAWK is a Private
RNA I would suggest for the cost of those AR's you could build your own the way you want it in most cases for far less than an off the rack. my last AR build cost $580.00 fully magpuled out . If you look around lowers can be pick up all over the place for under $100.00 If want to build your own and need some places to buy from pm me and help you out with were to buy from .

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Koala is a Recruit Private
I have never seen a reel steel remington AR but I am guessing it would be similar to my dads DPMS which is really nice, no loose parts. Everything is in tact and it is well made. My only complaint is the stock. It is a little difficult to retract but had molded finder indents so it feels really nice. Check out this website:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/

Last edited by Koala; 09-15-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM

blackopsnwoa is a Private
I'm a lefty and love my Stag Arms
Old 09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
RNA, PM Maglips about ARs.

For a hunting platform, I'd look at 20+" barrels, quality finish (prevent rust), milled receiver, flat top upper and a 2 stage trigger.

Hunting AR companies
Stag Arms
Rock River Arms
Bushmaster
Remington (Never Owned One)
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM

RNA is a Recruit Private
http://remington.com/products/firear...tor-rifle.aspx

this is the AR we found... but it has no reviews or ratings which is why i figured id ask if anyone has expierence or atleast shot one to see how it performs.

(19:56:11) Agent_Spencer: It's awesome, feels great, and there's no known cure and people thought only duo on duo sex could cause it.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM

maglips is a Private
Renee, you need to define what type of game you will be hunting for anyone to give you a decent answer on what gun may suit your purpose.

For varminting/small game, an AR15 in .223/5.56x45 will work well. For larger game, such as deer, you will need the R25, or some other AR10 style platform in a larger caliber, such as .308 WIN. Remember, hunting deer with a rifle in Ohio is illegal.

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 09-15-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Carnival is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post
Renee, you need to define what type of game you will be hunting for anyone to give you a decent answer on what gun may suit your purpose.
Wolverines from a Helicopter in Alaska.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Location: A land of superior apathy, also known as Cincinnati
Spectre is a Private First Class
Lets take a look at something

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNA View Post
so my step dad and brother and my self are looking for a new series of hunting rifles and decided we wanted an AR15 of some sort.. we were looking around and found one that caught our eye..

its a remington R15 and R25

my question is.. does anyone have any expierence with the rifle... i know its remington but i want to know is it worth getting over other AR's i cant find really any reviews on it. so any help would be great
Uh huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA_BlackHawk View Post
I have never seen a reel steel remington AR but I am guessing it would be similar to my dads DPMS which is really nice, no loose parts. Everything is in tact and it is well made. My only complaint is the stock. It is a little difficult to retract but had molded finder indents so it feels really nice. Check out this website:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/
Yep. Totally uninformative posts. Stop posting.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Carnival is a Private
You forgot to include mine in that category.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM

RNA is a Recruit Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post

For varminting/small game, an AR15 in .223/5.56x45 will work well. For larger game, such as deer, you will need the R25, or some other AR10 style platform in a larger caliber, such as .308 WIN. Remember, hunting deer with a rifle in Ohio is illegal.
black/white tailed, and mule deer.. and possibly some elk this season...

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 AM

bishopMP is a Private
Then you will definately want something in a .308 or larger.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM

maglips is a Private
Renee, I would look around, and research all of your options before making a decision. I wouldn't by start narrowing it to one platform, and brand so quickly. Most AR 10 style platforms can only chamber up to a .308 Win. This is not really suitable for elk.

I would recommend looking at all manufacturers AR 10 platforms, if you really want an AR style. I would also recommend looking at other, more traditional semi auto hunting platforms.

To be quite honest, for deer hunting, I would recommend a bolt gun. Bolts will offer you more options in caliber/cartridge, and they are more accurate and more reliable. they are also generally less expensive.

The .308 will drop most deer, but there are some better cartridges for the task. For elk, your best to use a magnum cartridge such as .300 WinMag or similar. There are alot of options for a deer rifle, make sure you do your research to make sure your rifle will do you what you need before you buy.

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 09-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:54 PM

wahugg is a Private
Send a message via AIM to wahugg
RNA, As stated before you will need a bigger caliber if you want to hunt for elk. I would recommend a .30-06. When my father and I went hunting for elk and a big horn sheep we both had used a .30-06. His elk was a clean, one shot kill. The big horn sheep got away but I think this was due to me missing the lungs or heart, there for it ran farther.

The reason I would pick a .30-06 over a .300 Win is because they both give similar results but the .30-06 has a few pros. Not as much recoil, the bullets seam to be a bit more available (at least in my area), and it will put out to around 280 yards just like a .300 Win. Yes the .300 Win is more powerful, but unless you plan on taking a shot out farther than 280 yards, the 30-06 will be plenty for you. Plus the lighter recoil on the 30-06 makes it a bit more friendly to me.

Hope this helps you out some RNA,
Best of luck
- Wallace
We wish we could've lived our lives without making any wrong turns. But that's impossible. A path like that doesn't exist. We fall. We trip. We get lost. We make mistakes. And little by little, one step at a time, we push forward. It's all we can do on our own two feet. Even if we get a little banged up. Someday, we'll reach something. We'll reach someone. - A true Friend
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Bear Jew

UrbanMarine is a Private
You can pick up Remington boltguns in 30-06 cheap and it works in many firearm applications. I own a Remington 700 BDL and it's a wonderful shooter.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 09-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM

RNA is a Recruit Private
thanks alot guys.. this helped... were know looking at other types of AR's

maglips thanks for all the help... if i need anymore ill shoot ya a PM

thread may be closed if mods wish it.. my question has been answered

Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM

maglips is a Private
Wahugg makes some good points about the 30-06 Springfield. It can be a capable performer on large game such as elk, provided they are loaded with a modern, high quality, expanding bullet. The Barnes Triple shock and Swift Scirocco are especially good. Too many hunters cheap out on their ammo and then wonder why their deer run a half mile after they are shot.

Renee, if you want to hunt elk, the AR won't cut it. I would look into bolt guns from Remington, Winchester and Savage. The 30-06 would be a great all around chambering, as most hunting shots are less than 200 meters. Be sure to research ammo for the the game you intend to hunt, and buy the good stuff, for your sake and the animals.

After you decide on a rifle/cartridge combo, take it to the range and get familiar with it. If you zero at 200yds, shoot it at 100, 150 and 250yds and figure out how much holdover or holdunder you need at different ranges. The best rifle in the world won't be worth squat if the shooter isn't doing their part.

Last edited by maglips; 09-23-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: