Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

WhiteRook is a Private
OP IRENE IX - My AAR

Spent the weekend at MUTC near North Vernon, In ... just a short 70 mile drive west of Cincinnati. Great site for an Airsoft Event. Pyro was not as good as Zussman in Ft. Knox (OP IRENE VIII), but Zussman looks sterile compared to the burnt out & bombed buildings of MUTC.

AWOL was Company 1st Sgt and Evil Head was Squad Leader. Great leadership in those two. SPEAR was able to field a full 12 man squad for most of the time.

Stormblade & SPEAR did an excellent job in following the instructions to "look" the part ... To my disappointment; I saw many contractor type loadouts with woodland camo pants that didn't fit the part.

I only participated in the Sat AM & Sat Night ... I skipped Sat PM to save energy for Sat Night.

I was extremely disappointed with the AM & Night OP's ... I'm not sure what the other 200+ FF were doing, but my squad's assignment was to hold a clock tower in the center of a small "park" with TFR plinking at us from inside a multi-story bldg across the street from the clock tower.

To Evil Head's credit, that is exactly what SPEAR did, held the clock tower.

We were there all morning and all evening. Getting shot at and going to re-spawn and then returning to get shot at again. Not what I had in mind when I paid my $175 registration fee.

But the worst of it was the lack of sportsmanship on the side of TFR. The lack of hit calling reminded me of many open plays I've been to. I guess I just figured with the expense of OP IRENE, I would have seen a much higher caliber of player.

I did not return to the field for the Sunday AM operation due to the above compounded with coming down with a severe head cold. I hear it was a much improved mission, but still had sportsmanship issues.

I don’t think I’ll return to OP IRENE in the future. Nothing for me there. If not for the good team members on SPEAR, I would have traded the day for a good MILSIM at Hell’s Basin.

With all that being said, you should at least go once for youself just to play on such a great site. Springfield’s OP Blind Fury is a good second.

Last edited by WhiteRook; 10-31-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Dog Tags is a Private
Wow you couldn't have said it better. Expect we were on TFR and saw the same things, no hit calling.

Saturday morning we spent the first mission running suicide missions ALL mission long. Oh well that's what was asked of us and we did it. For the second mission it seemed like TFR was split. I didn't see many other TFR squads but that could be because we couldn't move past two buildings. I think in total our whole squad fired a total of 4 mags, that's all of us combined!

Sunday's missions was something that left a very bad taste in my mouth. I saw somethings that made me pick up my mags and leave the field of battle. We encountered about 4 FF's that were the greatest airsoft players of all time and will be the first 4 guys inducted into the airsoft hall of fame. In my airsoft life, I have never fired an entire mag into two players to find out that MY bb's where not bb's that were in play.

Like you I am not sure if I'll ever go to an Irene event again. It's a shame that I feel that way because the fields that they use for the events are some of the best fields around. IMO for the money, I can think of a lot of other things I would rather do.

But like white rock said, go for yourself and let it give you your own experience.

The rifle should be no different than the samuraiís long sword. You should train with it in all capacities and its use should be as natural as breathing

Your not outta the fight until someone upstairs turns out the lights

Psalms 144:1

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

6mm Milita
Old 10-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Firefox is a Private
I personally had a great time at the event. I enjoyed seeing some old friends (spear among others) as well as playing with people outside of AO, it was a nice change of pace.

As far as the gameplay goes I had a good time all other issues aside, quite honestly I enjoyed being on the MOUT site and playing in a new way but I do not think it was worth $225 being a first timer at a lionclaws event however I understand why the prices are what they are. I also lost 7lbs over the weekend somehow, it was mainly water weight and after gorging it's now back but I was really surprised to say the least when I stepped on the scale.

Being my first Irene I enjoyed the immersion of the AO more than anything else, having pyro and RPGs shot over our heads along with the many destroyed buildings and huey helicopter and everything else was just something I've never experienced before and I loved every second of it. At night the AO was even cooler, the place just looked beautiful. The many fires and lighting tactics the staff used really made the area look awesome. Being fairly tired and trying to save energy for the Sunday AM mission I was half tempted to just pull out my red rag and walk around for a bit.

I'll type some more when I've got some more energy but right now I'm exhausted.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
I had a fantastic weekend, I refuse to let cheaters get my spirits down. When in doubt keep shooting. If opposing players do not want to call it, well then don't stop shooting, it's that simple. SPEAR it's always an honor to run with you guys, we tore TFR up all day and all night. Ray with excellent leadership and strong fireteam cohesion we were able to take on anything. The cheating on both sides was disappointing but it happens, I will not let it get to me and I do plan on attending again next year. The environment is worth it and the time spent with teammates is just what I need.

It also doesn't hurt that I finally won something in a raffle!

But sure there were times when I was frustrated with the cheating but I just decided to laugh at it instead. So be it, I'll get shot all day and maintain my honor and integrity instead of being a cheater and win.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM

HardLock is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to HardLock
I agree with the sportsmanship issue, on both sides. We rolled up on a squad of FF embedded in the treeline that were ambushing TFR. One guy refused to call out when hit with MULTIPLE bursts from a minigun. wtf. Guess he figured we didn't see him. Wrong. The gunner had a 7' tall viewing platform. Oh well.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 PM

maglips is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Liberty View Post
I had a fantastic weekend, I refuse to let cheaters get my spirits down. When in doubt keep shooting. If opposing players do not want to call it, well then don't stop shooting, it's that simple. SPEAR it's always an honor to run with you guys, we tore TFR up all day and all night. Ray with excellent leadership and strong fireteam cohesion we were able to take on anything. The cheating on both sides was disappointing but it happens, I will not let it get to me and I do plan on attending again next year. The environment is worth it and the time spent with teammates is just what I need.

It also doesn't hurt that I finally won something in a raffle!

But sure there were times when I was frustrated with the cheating but I just decided to laugh at it instead. So be it, I'll get shot all day and maintain my honor and integrity instead of being a cheater and win.
Couldn't have said it better.

We have a saying on SPEAR, "Nobody f**ks with my fun". I saw the same issues, on both sides, but the only persons actions I can control are my own, the only honor I need to be concerned with is mine. I followed orders and completed objectives to the best of my ability, and followed the rules. I walked away from OPI IX with my head held high.

That said, I saw far more good sportsmanship than bad. There were some great firefights. I met alot of capable, honorable airsofters on both sides and got to run in a fantastic AO. Leadership was top notch. I can't thank LC staff enough for all the hard work they put into this event. Overall I had a great time, I've never had a bad time at OP: Irene and am already looking forward to OPI X.

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 10-30-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 AM

wyattcravatas is a Private
Does anyone know if the AO will be Zussman next year?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
We never know before June for sure. The location depends on the availability of the base and since troops can come and go, trying to confirm the date before June is pretty much impossible...at least so far.

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Merc is a Private
I agree with everyone here. I wish I could say I had a great time but as a leader seeing what all the sportsmanship issues did to team morale was very disheartening.
This is the worst Irene I have ever attended.
6mm Militia has played at MUTC as both Rangers and FF, and the field is top notch. But I heard many players say the missions and objectives were no better than open plays. Last years Irene was outstanding and I had high hopes for this year, unfortuneately it failed to live up to past glory.

6MM MILITIA
Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Teddy Bear is a Recruit Private
I saw some horible Sportsmanship and agree that it wasnt worth my $225+ but you know what, The SPEAR Quote of the day that Maglips stated, "Nobody F***s with My Fun" Pretty much the truth, I'm going to try and focus on the posotives.

Although I would have originaly liked to be TFR, FF was so much fun. We had to hold the Clock Tower most of the weekend sounds boring, But on the positive, They didn't get it from us ;-) and we Took there FOB also.
I loved FF cause I got to blend with civilians, I would use Civilians as cover somtimes, I even got to experince the TFR Pick up a "civilian's" (actually was FF) baby, they beged the TFR to save the Baby, laid it down next to them, when they Picked it up, there was a Claymore strapped underneith it, it was epic

When I grow old and tired, I want to move to Scotland to see the Penguins and live where the Palm Trees grow.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM

AWOL is a Private
Guess I'll chime in here.

I have to say it was a great event. Yes there are issues on both sides, yes the missions may have been a little sloppy to execute, but overall any event is what you make of it.

I know how hard it is to plan and pull of a large event. I know the Staff for this event did what they could. It comes down to the player to make it great. Sadly, there were many players, FF or TFR doesnt matter, that just didn't do the right thing several times.

I'm very proud of how the core group of players with me performed. They made the best out of what they had been given and you can't ask for more than that. IMO, Sunday was far better than Saturday, but that's just me.

To all FF, thanks for all the hard work. I've not had a better time at a game.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Belt-fed doom

Hillslam is a Private First Class
Had a good time. Have to agree with what all above are posting: sportsmanship on both sides was low for Irene. But, we're lucky in that we always get interesting missions and this goes a long way toward us always having a good time regardless of how often we die (and we die alot). Glad to hear Spear and Stormblade and the other ohio teams had some good leadership this year and got to taste a mission-heavy Irene. Its tons more fun that way IMO. (WAY more fun than guarding a building and plinking out a porthole with immunity for 2 hours.)

Had fun taking the FF FOB twice, and the Bakara market twice. Especially at night when it came down to just Blade and myself left remaining squatting back to back huddled in an alley in the dark. We got wasted but I hadn't had that much fun in airsoft in years. To quote Blade: "See you in hell, Hillslam". lol

Got wasted more times than I can count trying to get back into building 8 in the dark. I think Mole Pepe and I set a record for number of failed attempts to link back up inside the building there. Snipers + Darkness = ouchie.

As for the trucks? What can I say, I like riding on them, even if they are death traps.

Had fun fighting Spear by the TFR FOB - it was nice to see good fire and maneuver on the opposite side, as opposed to the gaggle-f**k that is the usual FF SOP. You always know when you're up against Ohio players. Good firefight guys. You rock. Bummer they endex'd it before we got to have another firefight with ya at the FF FOB. Felt a little gipped off that they chopped off a half hour (seems like since we started late). Ah well.

Other than that my only "complaint" would be lets get Irene back to August or Sept please!
Brrrrrrrrrrr........ *COLD*

See you all at Ten.

Sooner or later, karma catches them all.

Last edited by Hillslam; 10-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
S.P.E.A.R. had a great time this years. The positives out weighed the negatives for us and we can attribute that to the fantastic COC. AWOL and 3rd Platoon leader, we'll die for you any day. We covered about 80% of the AO during the weekend. Which I can say has some advantages over Zussman.

Sure we saw some questionable activity, both sides, but we had our missions and we tried our best to carry them out. Many players on FF seemed to not understand a COC, including the gentleman who wanted to physically fight me after I chewed him out for not obeying orders. Sorry dude the building was more important to take than that tree you were hugging for 3 hours.

Platoon 3-3 had some *** kickers including a guy with a RPG who reeked havok on TRF all weekend. The best moment was when we ambushed two trucks on the road destroying both of them and proceeding to surround TFR. Needless to say, they chose to burn up in the trucks.

Overall the weekend was the best event for us so far. We played hard and never had amoment to ourselves. 3rd Platoon leaders pushed our butts all over the place. I've never run, climbed, our dove more than this. I don't care who gets the most points, 3-3 you guys won in my eyes no matter what. Why, because you never quit and never let anything get you down.

EDIT: Videos will be up soon.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM

ArmCav is a Private
This was my first Irene, but not my first Lions Claw event. I would like to thank the staff for everything they did, and for finding an awsome site. I did not see anything here that I have not seen at any big event. But, as was stated before I did not let it ruin the fun I had. I had a blast playing a freedom fighter (3-4) and would like to thank the freedom command also. I also would agree that Sunday was far better then Saturday, maybe have about a third less players helped. I look forward to attending the next Irene, and any other Lions Claw events that I can.

Last edited by ArmCav; 10-31-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM

tombo131 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to tombo131
Had a great time for carRAMROD's first Irene (FF 4-5). Sure, there were more sportsmanship and MED issues than I cared to see (esp during night op) but it never ruined my fun.

Hillslam, I really didn't think any of you were left hiding in those alleys during the night op. I found out the hard way =)

Must say I had the most laughs watching our HWS (Slacker) and the 3rd platoon dude with the Havoc launcher taking out vehicles all weekend long.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
On behalf of TFR and Delta who wish to stand behind me, I would like to apologize for the horrible sportsmanship, questionable honor, terrible lack of respect and disastrous fellow players we were last weekend.

If any Freedom fighters, Task Force rangers, Delta element, staff or organizers think they saw Team Strikers cheating and prefer to complain about it in the AAR and forums rather than simply tell me, I will excuse you/them, take it like any professional and good milsimer should do and learn from it, making sure we will do better next time. I was the team Squad leader so I will take the bullet for my fellow members. In the future though, I would appreciate it if you guys would come forward, tell me the situation so I can fix the problem. Why do you think we have so many nametapes, team patches and back patches on us all weekend long? As of now, I am standing tall in front of my guys and will be patiently waiting for a PM regarding our attitude.

That being said, it seems to be a general consensus that your enemy ALWAYS cheat. In all the forums I read so far today. Most TFR posters will post FF cheated and FF posters will say TFR cheated. I am fine with this. It happens. What I am more curious about is why no FF have posted FF cheated? Why no TFR have posted TFR cheated? It seems like we can't admit that yes, we can be as bad as the other side. I saw my own side not calling each others out when in doubts. Do you guys have such a low self esteem that you don't care what the other team, players and friends think of you? Wouldn't you prefer to leave the field your head high knowing you did the right thing rather than knowing you won at all cost?

Yes, sportsmanship was horrible on Freedom fighters but so was it on the TFR as well. I got some footage that I am gonna delete because I feel so shameful my own fellow players (TFR and Delta) can go from great teammate to such enraged players within seconds.

While I can say I loved the event (and I will explain later), the sportsmanship and attitude is forcing me to say Operation Irene is more a Tier3 event than a Tier1 event these days and if John Lu wants to keep the event at the top of the events in the USA, he will need start thinking about being more selective with his teams and players registrations....

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft

Last edited by Blade; 10-31-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM

AWOL is a Private
Blade,

Great comments overall. As I did state a few posts up, there had been many FF and TFR who didn't do the right thing. I include myself there, I actually lost my temper and raged for a few minutes. I didn't catch the guys name, or I would have done the right thing after I cooled down. Just didn't get the chance to, and he didn't bother taking the time to find me after as well.

There are several guys that I called out on the FF side. I made them aware more than caught them cheating. I would guess thats how it was for the TFR as well. I'm hoping no one cheated on purpose.

Still think I had the best time at an Irene

Old 10-31-2011, 02:55 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Having our respawn so far away was a great reset tool for me. Anytime I walk away upset, I had "30" minutes of walking to cool me down.

I was also concerned about the relocation of our respawn. I instructed my squad to walk back to the regen on the map, not the close one players were claiming to be the respawn, I told a few players that they were not to regen there just because "someone told them it was a regen". I consider that cheating unless I hear it from game operations directly. I walked all the way back because I had no official confirmation on it's change of location. Can anyone from Lion Claws confirm if that was infact a rule change, becuase I think it was just a rumor that players exploited.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
Blade as we discussed earlier, I agree with you 100%. I witnessed a good amount of TFR and FF not calling hits. I'm very proud to say I never raged at anyone except to myself or after the fact *****ing to teammates. There were instances where I got hit very hard from close range on Full auto. But it's airsoft and those things happen, sad to say. But the honorable players I fought alongside and against made the weekend a great one in my eyes.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM

ArmCav is a Private
As always well said Blade. I am not sure how you will totally stop people complaining, because some people don't understand that bb's don't fly like real steel. That some times a person may not feel a hit, as when they are running, get hit in the leg as an example. An some people just like to complain. An I am not sure how you would establish a approved player/team list. But again myself and two sons, part of the Widowmakers had a great, An as I said before, hope to attend the next Irene
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM

wyattcravatas is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
We never know before June for sure. The location depends on the availability of the base and since troops can come and go, trying to confirm the date before June is pretty much impossible...at least so far.
I sure hope it's not, cause i'll be 16 next summer so i could play at MUTC, but not at Zussman.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
What plants crave

Two of our videos are up. I have more on the way.

http://youtu.be/oiZ0Fp5KfRg?hd=1

http://youtu.be/GvTMwxAWgrM?hd=1

Last edited by Evil Head; 10-31-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM

Chief is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post
...That said, I saw far more good sportsmanship than bad. ......
I think we tend to focus too much on the bad sometimes. I too saw alot of great sportsmanship. I saw a lot of conversations between FF and TFR/Delta about how each other did a great job and such. I myself got a fist bump from a FF after we shot each other as he breeched the backdoor of BLDG 22 on me. We had some laughs and wished each other a good day. Night mission as we tried to assault the two BLDG's behind 22, alot of guys got hit on the road but I managed to get to a tree. As the noise died down I started laying fire on the wall in hopes to get someone. Alas I got hit and called it out. The next thing I hear is a FF yelling out "Stop shooting we got him" I was thankful because it took me a few seconds to find my damn red light

Hardlock, Your Tank is cool as heck man. But, I swear I thought you was going to roll it over when you left side linkage broke by the helicopter by BLDG 22. The right side only left the ground by 6 or 8 inches but in the fraction of second I really thought you was going over.

Trucks: They suck. I would much rather use them for cover then ride in them. Problem was once we got hit we was surround by FF. There was just no way to get out of the back of the truck that sits 5 feet of the ground safely and quickly. One thing that made me upset was a FF stood at the back of the truck and was pissed because we wouldnt get out. Well why would I? so you can shoot me at point blank range for grins and giggles. Sorry, I am not a turkey. Just take me back to regen. This was my downer for the weekend. ALong with the early endex on Sunday but oh well.

In the end, I had a blast. I got to hang out with good friends, get away for the weekend and shoot some stuff. Won an AK too.. Yay Me. Tripped over a vent stack on the Roof of BLDG 22, Fell flat on my back. Laughed my butt off. I have way more good memories then bad and so I choose to remember and charish those.

Thanks to all who came out to make this a great event. FF and TFR/Delta alike!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM

PMO Gordo is a Private
Here's a video clip of Ranger's truck crashing through the barricade which I found on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTMw...feature=colike

One of my friends said one of the truck almost ran over a Freedom Fighter. Judging from the video, they probably should have a staff walking in front of the truck to warn people, like what the organizer did at Fulda Gap: http://www.fuldagap.com/RulesTanks.shtml
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM

slacker137 is a Private
Yeah I for one would also like to apologize. I would like to say I'm sorry for not allowing any TFR truck for driving more then 50 meters......and also for the poor Russian accent I was using all day......and for the Penguin hat.

Basically I'm saying it was frackin amazing and I'm happy to of gotten the chance to play with ALL OF YOU!!!!

And I would like to take credit for the broken tank....I would like to think he was running from the rockets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: