Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:28 AM

AirsoftPeak is a Private
Send a message via MSN to AirsoftPeak
Lightbulb UV5RA Radio Interphone On Sale and More

BAOFENG Gen 3 UV5RA Radio Interphone

- Now $58.64 for Sale Plus Free Shipping

- Camouflage and Black colors available

- Promotion expires on Jan. 12th, 2014 (GMT-4)

Buy 2 Bags of BBs, Get Free BB Loader

- Get free BB loader when purchase two bags of BBs or more

When you purchase any two bags of BBs, just leave us a comment BBPROMO when you check-out.
We will send you FREE BB loader with your order when we see THIS COMMENT.

- Extra 5% discount offered by G&P BBs

The G&P BBs are 5% off during the promotion.
So if you purchase two or more bags of G&P BBs, you can save 5% besides get a free BB loader.

- Promotion expires on Jan. 14th, 2014 (GMT-4)

Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM

mac50 is a Private
You might want to let people know you need to have an amateur radio license to use one of these radios. And it can't legally be operated on FRS frequencies.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Daxter is a Private
Also might wanna throw it out there that these radios need to be programmed. They don't just come out of the box ready to go.

I'm an AK purist. Deal with it.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM

P y r o is a Private
Programming them for FRS / GMRS channels took 10 minutes, max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
LOLKWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahm740 View Post
I love stalking someone through the creek and taking people out who didn't know a fat man could get so skinny unless it was to get some pie that was just out of reach.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Bronco is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by P y r o View Post
Also you can get the programming cable amd software and do it in 30 seconds. 321 does it.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Also you can get the programming cable amd software and do it in 30 seconds. 321 does it.
Ray lost his cable though. It takes 90 minutes to get down there and back, so just manually doing it saved time.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
I love stalking someone through the creek and taking people out who didn't know a fat man could get so skinny unless it was to get some pie that was just out of reach.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Yes and it's still illegal to use these on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

$30 radio and $27,000 fine
Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 PM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac50 View Post
Yes and it's still illegal to use these on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

$30 radio and $27,000 fine
Would you mind explaining exactly why this radio is illegal to use on those channels?

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Would you mind explaining exactly why this radio is illegal to use on those channels?

I'd be happy to. All transmitter/receivers have to be certified for the particlar service they are designed for. CB radios are certified for the CB band. Marine radios are certified for the Marine band. FRS radios are certified for , I beleive Part 95 under FCC rules. The Baofeng ( originally designed as a business radio) is certifed under part 90 Amateur Radio. You can't use a radio in a service it wasn't certified for.
But wait, there's more. It CAN'T be certified for FRS/GMRS use because:
1. It transmits at a higher power, even at low power ( 1 watt) then permitted for FRS use ( .5 watt)
2. It can be programmed in the field
3. It has a removable antenna. This falls under part 15 FFC rules. You could put a larger antenna on it and increase the range.
Now you might ask, who died and left you to police the airwaves? Well the FCC did in a manner of speaking. Amateur radio operators are self policing. There is a group of volunteers, called Official Observers that make it a hobby of ferreting out illegal use of radios. When the FCC busts you, it's not like getting a ticket and going to court. Agents will knock on your door, hand you an Notice of Aparrent Liability. It ain't a court summons. You will have been found guilty and the notice if telling you how much you're gonna pay. And it ain't cheap. You could be 3-4 airsoft miniguns for what the fine is. Oh and all your radio equipment is GONE
Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
Just out of curiosity, where does that place the GP68 radios? They have a keypad and can be 'programmed in the field' (I had a freq. sheet on the back of my battery in case I ever needed to do a quick reprogram), I had two different sized antenna for it. And, if I recall correctly, it had a high and low power setting. (Not sure if that is the same thing that you have listed as #1, but it sounds similar.)
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
I'd be happy to. All transmitter/receivers have to be certified for the particlar service they are designed for. CB radios are certified for the CB band. Marine radios are certified for the Marine band. FRS radios are certified for , I beleive Part 95 under FCC rules. The Baofeng ( originally designed as a business radio) is certifed under part 90 Amateur Radio. You can't use a radio in a service it wasn't certified for.
1. It transmits at a higher power, even at low power ( 1 watt) then permitted for FRS use ( .5 watt)
3. It has a removable antenna. This falls under part 15 FFC rules. You could put a larger antenna on it and increase the range.
Now you might ask, who died and left you to police the airwaves? Well the FCC did in a manner of speaking. Amateur radio operators are self policing. There is a group of volunteers, called Official Observers that make it a hobby of ferreting out illegal use of radios. When the FCC busts you, it's not like getting a ticket and going to court. Agents will knock on your door, hand you an Notice of Aparrent Liability. It ain't a court summons. You will have been found guilty and the notice if telling you how much you're gonna pay. And it ain't cheap. You could be 3-4 airsoft miniguns for what the fine is. Oh and all your radio equipment is GONE
So, three more questions.

1) Is there a legal frequency range for Baofeng radios to be used with? You said they were certified as "amateur radios" so there has to be something associated with that.

2) How would these radio policing hobbyists nail you for using an illegal radio? It seems like the process of identifying the end user and whether or not they were actually using an illegal radio would be rather indefinite.

3) Why would someone bother taking time out of their life to land someone else with a $27,000 fine?

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:37 AM

ExSoul is a Private
Talking

Quote:
I assume your retired lol.

"Damn few"

"That of which we allow to defeat us defines us, That which we over come against all odds, fear and expectations empowers us and designs us"
Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 AM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSoul View Post
I assume your retired lol.
Nope. Just an amateur radio operator
Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 AM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
So, three more questions.

1) Is there a legal frequency range for Baofeng radios to be used with? You said they were certified as "amateur radios" so there has to be something associated with that.

2) How would these radio policing hobbyists nail you for using an illegal radio? It seems like the process of identifying the end user and whether or not they were actually using an illegal radio would be rather indefinite.

3) Why would someone bother taking time out of their life to land someone else with a $27,000 fine?
1. Yes it is the amateur radio 2 meter and 70 cm band.
2. Well one could do a scan and get the frequency and time of transmission. The Official Observers do not do the actual bust. They turn the info over to the FCC and the FCC comes out with a truck loaded with all sorts of gear.
3. It's their hobby.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 AM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
Just out of curiosity, where does that place the GP68 radios? They have a keypad and can be 'programmed in the field' (I had a freq. sheet on the back of my battery in case I ever needed to do a quick reprogram), I had two different sized antenna for it. And, if I recall correctly, it had a high and low power setting. (Not sure if that is the same thing that you have listed as #1, but it sounds similar.)
Good question. I would take a look inside the battery compartment and see if there is some certification listed. The max power for FRS is 1/2 watt. Just the removable antenna would make it a no go for FRS. I believe this is a business class type radio although I'm not really familiar with it. Let me Google it and see if I can find some specs on it
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Daxter is a Private
I'm actually really curious as to how they track you down. Scanning is one thing but how do they even find your position? Especially if people use these radios somewhere besides their house?

I'm an AK purist. Deal with it.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM

P y r o is a Private
Mac, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the band frequencies so I can program those channels in as well.

From what I've gathered there are two amateur bands: The 2 meter band and the 70 cm band. The 70cm band is from 430-450 mHz and the 2 meter band runs from 144-148 mHz. Wikipedia says the 70cm offers a better gain and is more useful for long distances.

Are there any drawbacks to using these frequencies, other than not being on the same channels as people with FRS / GMRS radios? That could be a good thing, though. Private (ish) channels galore.

Edit: The article also mentions FM and TV stations using these frequencies. Will I be picking up anything from them if I use these bands?

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:

Last edited by P y r o; 01-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Mac, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the band frequencies so I can program those channels in as well.

From what I've gathered there are two amateur bands: The 2 meter band and the 70 cm band. The 70cm band is from 430-450 mHz and the 2 meter band runs from 144-148 mHz. Wikipedia says the 70cm offers a better gain and is more useful for long distances.

Are there any drawbacks to using these frequencies, other than not being on the same channels as people with FRS / GMRS radios? That could be a good thing, though. Private (ish) channels galore.

Edit: The article also mentions FM and TV stations using these frequencies. Will I be picking up anything from them if I use these bands?
Yes, you can receive standard FM radio broadcasts and TV audio, but I'm not real sure abiut the latter. Most TV stations have gone digital and the Baofeng doesn't do digital.
The only drawback is you need a amateur radio license to legally operate on the 2m/70cm band. It's not all that difficult. If 8 years olds can do it anybody can. 26 out of 35 multiple choice questions.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxter View Post
I'm actually really curious as to how they track you down. Scanning is one thing but how do they even find your position? Especially if people use these radios somewhere besides their house?
Well there is a contest hams run called Fox Hunting. A simple transmitter is hidden somewhere and the contestants try to find it. And the FCC has more sophisticated gear than the average ham.
Ok, lets say you're transmitting and a ham picks up your signal. He may be able to pinpoint the general area. He files a complaint with the FCC . The ordinary amateur can do that as well as Official Observers. Then the FCC dispatches a field unit to the area and they go to work. There is a system called triangulation where several receivers look for a signal by direction finding, which way is the strongest signal. When all points converge, there's your transmitter.

Tags
radio interphone, tactical radio, uv5ra

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: