Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
Send a message via AIM to monkey_slap
Tokyo Mauri VSR-10: Facts and Guide

Well, lately I've been getting quite a few PMs asking questions about the Tokyo Mauri VSR-10. So, instead of waiting for countless more PMs asking the same question, I'd like to compile my knowledge about the best, in my opinion, airsoft rifle on the market to date.

Background

The VSR-10 is a commonly named "sniper rifle" used for airsoft simulations. It is manufactured by Tokyo Mauri and comes in three different models. Currently available are the VSR-10 Pro Sniper, Real Shock, and the G-Spec.

The Pro Sniper is a basic rifle resembling the m700 Police version. It comes standard with a 90 degree cocking handle, iron sights, and long barrel. Just to clarify there is no rail attachment for a scope that comes with this rifle. Though, one is available for purchase.

The Real Shock is the exact same model as the Pro Sniper, but with a fake wood pattern stock and a mechanism in the bolt which gives the gun mild "kick". The gun comes with the same stock features as the Pro Sniper.

Finally, the G-Spec (my personal favorite) is designed to suit the sniper. The rifle comes stock with a suppresor, shortened tightbore barrel, scope attachment rail, and a 45 degree cocking handle to avoid interference with your optics while reloading another round. The G-Spec is also acredited for having one of the best hop up systems in the airsoft world. Either by chance or by clever design, Tokyo Mauri's hop up on the rifle is really very superb.

All three rifles are very different and can suit many different players. There is fairly little cost difference between the rifles, though the G-Spec does usually range a little higher than the other two models.

Sniper Rifle?

The VSR-10 comes stock with (depending on the model) a long standard barrel or a shortened tightbore barrel and shoots about 280fps with .2g BBs. It uses a cocking mechanism to load the BB and cock back the spring. For most people who play airsoft pretty heavily, 280fps is not an impressive number. For instance, most players who use an AEG as their primary weapon will upgrade the gun to fire at about 350-400fps. This, of course, means that at 280fps not only will the VSR-10 be outmatched in velocity, but also in range. So how would one go about using it as a sniper rifle? Well, it's a common airsoft thing: Upgrading

Upgrading

Upgrading the VSR-10 is a whole new ballgame when compared to upgrading and AEG. Most will say it is easier, and in fact, it pretty much is. To understand the way the VSR-10 fires try to follow this:

-Cocking handle used to pull back cylinder
-Spring Guide Stopper stops Spring Guide's movement and compresses spring
-2nd Sear catches Piston
-Cylinder moved to normal position
-Trigger pulled
-1st Sear adjusts to allow 2nd Sear to release Piston
-Piston compresses air through Air Valve and ejects BB

Now, many people are already confused. I know I was when I first started studying the inards of my rifle. But the best way to learn is hands on! So let's take it apart.

Opening Trigger Mechanism

-Take out the 2 screws on the bottom side of the stock. They will be on opposite ends of the magwell. The screws are of different lengths, so remember which goes where. Pull the barrel and receiver out carefully, making sure not to knock around the trigger assembly.
-Next, turn the whole assembly upside-down so that the trigger assembly is facing skywards. Remove the Spring Guide Stopper by finding a small knotched silver part near where the trigger assembly meets the receiver. Pull this part downward until you here and feel the Spring Guide snap to rest and the Spring Guide Stopper becomes free-floating.
-Unscrew screw with a philips head screwdriver located on the trigger frame. It should now detach the frame from the receiver. Unhook the frame from the trigger assembly.

You now have the trigger assembly removed from the rifle. Now comes the tedious part. There are several screws all on one side of the assembly. All must be removed but all need to be returned to their same spots. When opening the assembly be very careful. I would recommend doing this on a hard floor so that anything that pops out can be heard and found easily.
In the assembly you will see a large metal piece. This is then 1st Sear. Attached to it is the 1st Sear. Be careful when removing the 2nd Sear as there is a small spring attached to it that is easily lost! Congratulations! You've succesfully opened the VSR-10!

What Parts for What?

It has come to my attention that many players play in a different style. Some prefer hard hitting shots from far away (a.k.a. High fps and good accuracy) and some others like less power and accuracy, but minimal engagement distance and high RoF. Then of course, there are those who want to meet one of the listed specializations, but cannot due to funds. Let me tell you right now that upgrading a rifle is not cheap! If you have a budget of $100 or so and plan on going to 550fps, stop reading. But, you can still enjoy the rifle very much for this price, and I will tell you how.

Each of the following sections describes the necessary upgrades for certain FPS.

Quote:
Taken from Dusk's VSR-10 Upgrading Guide

note: In this the 1st Sear is named the Trigger Sear and the 2nd Sear the Piston Sear.

ALL OF THE PARTS LISTED BELOW ARE LAYLAX(FIRST FACTORY)PARTS

Approximate prices from poweredgeusa.com

Laylax pss10 ps110 spring: 360 fps
Needed:
-Spring $13
Recomended:
-Trigger sear $35
-piston sear $21
-Spring guide $25

Laylax pss10 ps120 spring: 392 fps
Needed:
-Spring $13
-trigger sear $35
Recomended:
-Piston sear $21
-Spring guide stopper $21
-spring guide $25
-High pressure piston $45

Laylax pss10 ps130 spring: 427 fps
Needed:
-Spring $13
-Trigger sear $35
-piston sear $21
Recomended:
-spring guide $25
-Silent damper piston head(increases fps by a little, but also is stronger) $19 ($35 for pro version)

Laylax pss10 ps150 spring: 492 fps
Needed:
-Spring $18
-Trigger sear $35
-Piston sear $21
-Spring guide $25
Recomended:
-Silent damper piston head $19
-Zero trigger(replaces the whole trigger assembly and piston.You will not need any of the parts stated above if you purchase this)*$185

Laylax pss10 ps170 spring: 558 fps
Needed:
-Spring $18
-Trigger sear $35
-Piston sear $21
-Spring guide $25
-Silent damper Piston head $19
Recomended:
-Zero trigger system $185(lightend bolt pull and has is reinforced)
-Teflon cylinder $115(Makes cocking the bolt much easier and is more durable than the OEM one

Warning! To make modifications or replace internals in the cylinder, you must remove a nasty little bug implemented by Tokyo Mauri to prevent the modding of the cylinder. This pest is called the Cylinder Pin. It is located on the Cylinder Head and is made of solid steel. Most people will use an appropriate drill bit on a press drill and remove it. I took the easier route and purchased a new cylinder assembly by getting the Teflon Cylinder.

As you can notice, Laylax has been the only product mentioned in the above quote. As Laylax makes some of the best parts, there are other companies out there who make rather good parts for the VSR-10 and can be more affordable than Laylax (a.k.a. First Factory).

Barrels are another great investment. My current setup has a 403mm tightbore. Barrels can range from very short to very long (555mm). The 403mm is the standard. If you are planning to get a new barrel do not bother unless it is a tightbore. The barrels in the stock rifles are already superb. Outer barrels are appearance only. Make sure you know that when checking them out, as they can be very expensive for a cosmetic upgrade.

Minor accessories, such as barrel spacers, are not always needed. Make sure you look into what you are purchasing before doing so. A barrel wobble problem can be fixed by a simple teflon taping.

Twinks

This section is devoted to the DIY upgrades that are easy and really cost no money at all.

The simplest is assuring that you have 100% of the air compressed by the piston being applied to the BB and not diverged by a leak. To do this get your hop up out. Take a small amount of teflon tape and wrap the hop up where the barrel meets the rubber,on the inside and outside of the hop up.

The next twink is also involving the hop up. Take that same teflon tape and put a band around it where the hop up lever touches the actual hop up. You may need to do this over and over again, applying varying amounts of teflon. Doing this will adjust the level of hop up with each tick. I personally did this to make it so that my hop up is set perfectly in the center of the lever. Doing this enables me change to varying weather conditions.

Maintenance

For your VSR-10 to keep performing the way it should, consistant mainenance is a MUST. Basic maintenance ranges from cleaning the barrel to giving your optics a nice wipe off. I'll try and go over the basics to keeping your rifle in shape.

First off is basic supplies to cleaning your rifle. You will need a barrel cleaning rod. If you want to make one yourself it is easy, just use plastic. Don't use wood because it can splinter, and don't use metal because of possibly scratching the barrel. For lubrication use silicone. You can get a spray version or a bottled droplet version. Whatever you do DO NOT use any silicone that contains Acetone! Acetone will eat up your gun. For a cleaning cloth use something soft that does not wear or fall apart.

Cleaning your barrel is a must. DO NOT just stick a barrel cleaning rod down the barrel of your gun! Remove the barrel and then clean it. Put a liberal amount of silicone on the cloth on the end of your cleaning rod and swirl the rod while cleaning the barrel. Go both ways to ensure you have gotten everything.

Checking your hop up for broken BB is always a must. For several weeks I had forgotten to check my hop up. I noticed a firing problem. After a while I took the gun apart only to find shards of BB in and around the hop up.

Keep your receiver lubed constantly. Before game, in game, and after game. You do not want the metal on metal wear that can result.

Try before and after each game to take out your trigger assembly and apply a small amount of silicone on the inside.

Conclusion

Hopefully this guide can help out those new to the VSR-10 and eventually enable you to become a sniper, designated marksman, scout, or whatever. Personally I'd like to add that being a sniper with the TM VSR-10 is and has been one of the best experiences in playing airsoft. It certainly finds a place in my heart as a personal gun that I know inside and out.

Sources:

Pictures:
www.redwolfairsoft.com

Dusk's VSR-10 Guide
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums...26244#msg26244

note:If you have any questions, comments, or criticisms to this guide, please post them here and I will get to them as soon as I can, thank you.

Bored?
I wont get mad at you for not calling your hits, but my SAW will.

Last edited by monkey_slap; 05-03-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
if anyone can tell me why even when i use [ img ] tags i still cannot get my images to show up on the post id appreciate it

Bored?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:22 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
Thanks for going in depth with the VSR10, I didn't really touch a lot of base with that becuase I am not to familiar with that gun, but thank you. Sticky? I vote for it, and my basic facts guide, kind of get things set up like the other forums, with basic guides to help noobs along. Oh and monkey slap, you have to use a special tag to get the image in your post. Look on the photo bucket sites, and it is the middle text. I think it goes URL, TAG, IMG, . You need to use the TAG. If you would like, dante and myself put our photobucket sites and passwords in the team forums, so you can use that to upload images if you want.
"Every gun that is made, every warship that is launched, every rocket that is fired, signifies, in the final sense A THEFT from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Last edited by BlackHawk97; 05-08-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM

lt. blinky is a Private
Send a message via AIM to lt. blinky Send a message via Yahoo to lt. blinky
do you think the "Deep Fire Stainless Steel First And Second Sear for TM VSR-10" would work instead of buying the sears seperately. I dont want to get confused and totally screw it up. Besides, its cheaper, which i know doesnt go with a good gun, but I dont even have a job.

But thanks for the details. Now I wont have to PM you 50 more times, except maybe for help with that drilling of the bolt thing. Just kidding though. I'll find someone aroun where I live that can help me out with that. Serioualy though, thanks. Youve really helped me out. Now I just hope I remember where everything goes.

I agree. Sticky it.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
thanks. and yes, the deepfire sear will work absolutely fine. i personally have laylax sears installed on my rifle, but from feedback ive heard the deepfire are just as good, just harder to find them in stock.

Bored?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 AM

long arm is a Private
Send a message via AIM to long arm
Ok I understand why you disregard the spring guide, Spring guide stopper, High pressure piston from the 427 to 492 fps upgrade(because they are included in the zero trigger). But two thing I'm confused on is why disregard the Piston sear from the 392 to 427 upgrade and why disregard the silent damper piston head from the 492 to 558 fps upgrade? This is ofcourse looking at the "recomended" upgrades.

also is the Silent damper piston head the same as the damper cylinder head pro or silent damper. wgc has what is labled the silent damper for$12 and damper cylinder head pro for $52

S.A.I.U.-1 (Special Attack Insertion Unit 1)

Last edited by long arm; 05-12-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
these are all rough estimates on average prices. the reason that the piston sear is omitted is merely for affordability. sure, it would be much wiser to go ahead and install a piston sear on even a stock VSR-10, but as necessity goes the 392fps spring will not cause severe damage to the stock piston sear.

once again with the silent damper piston head, it is only reccomended, but the rifle will perform just fine without it. the parts listed are for the cheapest setup.

Bored?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:41 PM

long arm is a Private
thanks but i'm still slightly confused as to the cylinder head and piston head. are they the same piece?

Old 05-12-2006, 08:08 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
No, the cylender head goes on the cylender, and is the thing with the hole in it that the air goes through. The piston head is what attaches to the end of the piston, and has an o' ring around it, and pushing the air out of the cylender head.

"Every gun that is made, every warship that is launched, every rocket that is fired, signifies, in the final sense A THEFT from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Last edited by BlackHawk97; 05-12-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:06 PM

lt. blinky is a Private
Send a message via AIM to lt. blinky Send a message via Yahoo to lt. blinky
Just double checking. The field limit for a sniper is 500 fps right?

2 things:

1. the pin that needs to be drilled is out to mod it is the little circle on the inderside of the rifle near the cylinder head, right?

2.is weaver smaller than RIS, because i got a cheap scope from walmart (its really good. $7 and it was designed for a .22) and it doesnt fit an RIS rail and I dont want to waste money on the weaver mount only to find out its too fat.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Predator is a Private
weaver is smaller than ris. if im thinking right you can put your scope on it, i fairly confident because mine fits.

The best part of being a merc. is that you dont kill alone, you share the killings and sharing is what matters most.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:24 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
RIS is 20mm Picitinny, and a weaver rail is smaller. Also, 500fps isn't the max, but it is suggested. Most people will allow up to 520 to 530, but I wouldn't push it. Try to keep it as close to 500fps as possable.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-
Old 05-14-2006, 08:41 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
Quote:
Just double checking. The field limit for a sniper is 500 fps right?

I have seen and heard of VSR-10s that can achieve 730fps. These are VERY dangerous and only for show. Fieldwise you should be maxing at 550fps.

Quote:
1. the pin that needs to be drilled is out to mod it is the little circle on the inderside of the rifle near the cylinder head, right?
The pin looks gold tinted. It is on the actual cylinder piece, near the cylinder head. It goes through the threads on the inside of the cylinder and the outside of the cylinder head. You need to be very careful when removing it.

Bored?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Atomic is a Private First Class
My gun put some gawd-awful lumps and dents on my buddies at around 550 FPS the last time I played. I was shooting too close (a habit hard to get over for the new sniper) and not minding the MEDs like I should. I cranked it back to the 475-500 range for safety's sake. It is a gas gun, so it starts to shoot hotter when the temp rises.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 PM

long arm is a Private
What is a safe MED for 500 to 550 fps?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
500fps to 525 is usualy about 100 feet, 526fps to 550fps is usualy 125 to 150 feet, I would say 125, but some event organizers may go with 150.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-
Old 05-15-2006, 04:19 AM

long arm is a Private
oh....oops...cause i've used more like 50 to 75 feet with my friends...

Old 05-15-2006, 09:16 AM

pvt. mathias is a Private
great!........ with all that info i now feel like i really want the g-spec version!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 PM

JeXus is a Recruit Private
Ok if i got the gun and just the teflon cylinder.. would my fps go up at all?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
On a short leash

monkey_slap is a Private
Quote:
Originally posted by JeXus
Ok if i got the gun and just the teflon cylinder.. would my fps go up at all?
you wont see any major difference. there may be some minor increase if the stock cylinder had a leak, but otherwise the cylinder is only a durability upgrade. its a great upgrade for the rifle, but unfortunately such an expensive piece wont up any FPS or range.

Bored?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM

JeXus is a Recruit Private
ok thnx.
i think ill stick to aegs still i get a job.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
I've looked around, and only really found three things that are specifically used on the VSR10.

A deep fire Sear, Precision Cylinder set, and the Laylax zero trigger and piston set.

Would you be well off if you upgraded your VSR10/G-spec with those?

Another thing - Is there really anything else you'd need internally?

(Figured this would be the appropriate thread to ask this in).

Thanks ,

Red

Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
For what fps upgrade? If 500+, you will want a new cylinder, piston, spring guide, spring, barrel and sears or trigger unit. Check redwolf, there are a ton of parts for the gun. personally, for 500+fps, I would get a:

PSS10 Teflon cylinder
PSS10 high pressure piston NEO
PSS10 Air Seal Damper Cylinder Head
PDI 7mm spring guide
PSS10 170 spring

Some type of trigger/sear's. Either the pdi v trigger set, the pss10 zero trigger NEO set, or get new sears(don't forget to get a new spring guide stopper if you just get new sears.).

Then get a PDI precision barrel. Anything with PSS10 in it is for the vsr(TM rifle series). PSS is laylax, then if it ends in a 96, it is for the maruzen type 96, if it ends in a 2, then it is for the maruzen aps2, and if it ends in the 10, it is for the vsr(tm rifles). There are definitely quite a few parts, the pss10 170 spring will get you into the 500-550fps range, but make sure to get a 7mm spring guide, not a 9mm. You can get a PDI cylinder set for the gun which comes with everything you need minus the barrel, trigger/sears, and the spring.

Feel free to pm me with any questions, I am kind of learning as well, just got a TM pro sniper and am in the process of getting new upgrades for it. Also, the O.K. boreup kit is fairly nice, seems like it is pretty well made, but I would stick with pdi, FF, and laylax. THe O.K. is what came in my gun, and except for the stupidity of the original owner, it seems to be strong stuff and can get you some more fps if you really want it.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Last edited by BlackHawk97; 09-13-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
I was thinking more along the lines of 'legal for all AO events'. 495 or so FPS to be safe. The 492 FPS upgrade, basically.

I'm guessing it'd be over $600 for everything (Including the gun)?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM

BlackHawk97 is a Private
Well, I have never ran into a problem with using a 500-550fps rifle at an event, but I do know that at alot of them you have to be 18+ to use anything over 400fps. I actually don't think I have been to an event that has gone by only AO rules. I have been to ones that have used AO rules as a template, and basically built/modified them, but never specifically used those rules.

If you still want just under 500fps, then go with this:

PDI 6.05 430mm tightbore 47.00
PSS10 Teflon Cylinder 93.00
Laylax PSS10 Air Seal Damper Cylinder Head 23.00
PSS10 High Pressure Piston NEO 52.00
PDI Ezy Spring Guide (7mm Diameter Small Bore) 17.00
Laylax PSS10 150 Spring 19.50

And then for the trigger you can go with one of these three ways:

1.PDI Reinforced -Trigger with Piston End 122.25

2.Laylax PSS10 Zero Trigger NEO CYLINDER SET 153.00

3.Laylax PSS10 Piston Sear 24.00
Laylax PSS10 Trigger Sear 39.50
Laylax PSS10 Spring Guide Stopper 22.00
---------

If you go with number 2, you will not need the PSS10 High Pressure Piston NEO that is in the first set of numbers. These prices are the base prices from redwolf airsoft. They don't have all of the stuff in, however I was just over at http://www.wgcshop.com looking at stuff for my rifle and they had just about everything in.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: