Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Travis is a Private
weak motor?

alright i am putting in an m130 spring into my m249, everything is upgraded internally except gears and motor which are still stock, and i tried shooting it and my 9.6v battery wouldn't turn the motor but it does with an m120 spring, now I don't really want to replace the motor but could i get a lipo battery and shoot it with my crappie stock motor? or will that cause damage and headache down the road, also how important is shimming? i watched tutorials and i'm not sure if the shimming i did on my m249 is good because if was my first time shimming, and one more thing, my trigger is kind of scetchy like sometimes it wont pull and my wires heat up like crazy any help would be great thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Jonezy is a Private
Are you using an A&K/Echo1 M249? If so, you'll probably want to invest in a new motor regardless because those motors are prone to failure. Simply using a lipo battery will accelerate the problem. Shimming is absolutely vital if you want it to perform well. Shim the gears to they have maximum tooth contact and so they don't rub against the faces of each other. Be sure to put some of the screws into the gearbox and tighten them before you check the shimming. I shim each gear from the pinion gear outward through the drivetrain and make sure everything is running smooth and isn't binding in any way. You problems with the trigger not working all the time could be due to the trigger mechanism being out of adjustment, the microswitch starting to burn out and fail, or the motor starting to fail. The wires getting hot is a result of something being jammed up and restricting the motor from turning and I'm going to point towards the gears being shimmed too tight.

Check these things and report back with your findings.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM

79stang is a Private
Also, if it is the E1 or A&K they take larger springs then an V2/3 gearbox. For example, the M60 (same gearbox) is supposed to take an M140 spring for 400 fps. If you shimmed it too tight, the motor will not turn and a stronger motor will likely not perform well either.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Travis is a Private
ok i just pulled the whole thing apart and i re shimmed and re greased the whole thing and bypassed the fuse, and it works great! i got a massive boost in rate of fire and the gearbox isnt so loud and screechy, though my wires still get rather warm but not nearly as hot as they used to get, thanks guys

Tags
battery, hot wires, m249, motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: