Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 AM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Journal/Guide for KWA 2G Series M4/16

Hi all,

As some/most of you know, I've been running a KWA M4RIS (2GX) for a very long time. (early 2009? or whenever they came out) I've been updating a thread for a while now on my local forum, and decided to post some of it here. If anything is unclear, please go ahead and PM me.
Please do not threadcrap, "haters". This is a journal of my experience with the KWA 2G series. Keep in mind that this post is the product of the entire time I have owned this gun.

Copypasta....

Now, as you all probably know, KWA is a great manufacturer of airsoft guns. They have good externals, and good internals (for the KWA fanboy), and have moderately good performance right out of the box. This guide may seem like more of a review to the reader here, but I can assure you it is a guide/journal.

I received my KM4-A1 in the mail about 3 years ago after I had a G&G M14. (Don't let me get into that can of worms...) I've never had an M4 and was definitely skeptical of getting one. After consulting to my buddy Luke, he had instructed me to get a Systema PTW, or the next best thing at the time, the KWA.

Here's a bit of a review for you guys of the history of my M4
--------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled the gun out of the box and was so excited to mess with it and open it up. I have had no experience with the version 2 gearbox and wanted to get familiar with it. After going up to MTAC with Luke to get his PTW, we chronoed it to shoot EXACTLY 400 FPS with .2's. I was already flabbergasted and jaw dropped at the externals and the ACOG sight I had attached to the rails, but to have that performance and 23BPS rate of fire with a 9.6 NiMH battery was a dream to me. I never knew it at the time, though.

After a while, I became power hungry and wanted to place a higher tension M120 made by Systema into my gearbox and pretty much messed it up. I snapped an AR lever and the gun was horrid. It still shot great, but I didn't know what the problem was. After opening the gun back up, I replaced the AR latch with the JG one (Provided by 2Tall) and the gun worked perfectly. I only had a few problems with the motor connecters being dis-connected from the motor.

30,000 (+-) 3,000 rounds have been put into the gun so far.

Findlay Airsoft held an OP "Rogue River" sometime earlier this year/last, and during that game, my motor dropped and I thought I busted a pinion gear. Fortunately for me, I was smart enough to stop pulling the trigger and saw that the motor wasn't high enough and pushed it back up into the VERY used bevel gear. I ran an 11.1 li-poly the rest of the day...

Here's a pic of a few of the Rogue River players. (I'm bottom right)

80,000 (+-) 4,000 rounds have been through my gun.

I then painted my gun. Looks good!

Blind Fury 8 was now in sight. Woohoo! The gun performed perfectly the entire day.

84,000 rounds (+-) 4,000....

After 2 1/2 years of use, I began to chrono around 350 FPS and couldn't figure out what the problem was with the gun. Once again, I am "newer" to Version 2 gearboxes and didn't know if it was a fault. Turns out the gun just needed re-greased and a new o-ring for the piston. 3AM before Riverbottom's open play, my gun was now shooting 385. Kapelski also gave me an MOE grip.

95,000 rounds (+-) 5,000

Most recently, the gun busted a pinion gear (due to running an 11.1 li-poly with a 50-100c dump) and has been mis-feeding and having issues with range. The hopup needed an overhaul and cleaning. I ended up taking the entire 2 piece hopup apart, cleaning it, and replacing the bucking with a G&G. Now the gun is perfect. It gets twice the normal range of any "out-of-the-box" AEG, and it feeds flawlessly. The problem is now my old magazines.

110,000 rounds (+-) 5,000

UPDATE 11/15/2011

The gun is now having sporadic wiring issues. Sounds like it is starting to get old. I found out that the trigger and contacts aren't too good. The response isn't too good, either. I think the motor/wiring is going bad. Time to look.

UPDATE 12/17/2011

OP: Iron Harvest

After thinking that problems have arisen with the wiring of the gun, it turns out I was correct. The harness and fuse seem to have gone bad, and I have the need to re-wire the gun. Another problem I am having is the trigger sticking on SA. I have to fix that, too. Other than that, cleaned, re-shimed, lubed the gearbox. Works great!

UPDATE 1/12/2012

I've re-wired the gun and fixed the problem. The trigger has gone to crap, so I may need to get a mosfet. I have replaced the High Speed motor with a G&G Hi-Torque motor.

UPDATE 2/18/2012

Wired an AB-Long FET into the gun, and trigger problems still arise. Seems like a mechanical issue, so I will check on the trigger length and weariness of the sled. I am also planning to switch to Li-Poly batteries. They are all 11.1v 20c 1350 mAh batteries. We will see how the gears last.

UPDATE 3/2/2012

BIG Problem today. Gotta order me a new gearbox.

UPDATE 3/24/2012

New gearbox has been installed, and cylinder window has been radiused. No Sorbothane, though.
Still having some trigger problems, but it's no big deal. Switch to FA and fire, then switch back.

I'll be running 11.1 25c until further notice, so the gearbox will show its true colors soon.

UPDATE 9/6/2012

Guys, I've put another 25,000 rounds through this gun since the last update. That's almost 200,000 rounds. (175,000 +-5,000) It's been to 4 OPS SINCE (Including Blind Fury 9), and has been consistently shooting 350 FPS. There are no trigger problems, no hop-up problems, and I haven't had to do anything but charge the batteries, and clean the barrel. Even the motor height has stayed put (with the Magpul MIAD) this entire time. I recently acquired two cosmetic pieces. One being an RVG in Ranger Green, and an AMP quick-acquire red/green dot. Both have aided me in pull/draw speed in quick/CQC situations.

The life of my gun has already exceeded my expectations and abuse. I've had so much fun with it, and really never had to take care of it in the least. Thanks Luke, and thank you Kapelski for showing me what to do with Version 2 Gearboxes. Now, onto some other stuff...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you all know, KWA makes nice(ish) parts, and makes many proprietary. (This means that the manufacturer can "exclusively" make their own parts, but with such little measurement changes they affect the aftermarket capabilities of a gun.) For this reason, many steer away from the company of KWA. The other reason is that the "hype" of the company is not all that it is to be. KWA is just like any other company. They just got to the "fame and fortune" faster than other awesome companies like Real Sword or VFC. Does that mean the company is sh*t? I don't think so, I believe they are just good at advertising their products.

So far, the proprietary parts I have found on the KWA are as follows.

-Gearbox is slightly wider than other Version 2 boxes, therefore making it hard to drop into metal bodies.
-bevel Gear has a unique angle on the outsides, but works with V.2 GB.
-Hop-up system is a two piece, (not really proprietary, but...) space for buckings is a little tighter than Marui's. It also creates headache when trying to lift the GB out of the gun. You have to unscrew the bottom piece each time.
-Hop-up bucking is slightly thinner and shorter than Marui's.
-Air-Nozzle
-Buffer-tube
-Metal Body and pins
-Wiring harness
-Fuse location (not really proprietary in front-wired M4's)
-Magwell is smaller than most (VFC size)
(UPDATE: 4/16/2012)
-Trigger assembly

Every other part I have used in the gun works. I currently have a Bravo ported polycarb piston head and Bravo Blue cylinder head, JG AR latch, a G&G hop-up bucking, and G&G Bevel Gear in the gun. They all fit well, and the gun works great.

If you know what you are doing with Version 2 gearboxes, KWA isn't really anything "special". It just makes the user able to replace parts even if he/she is a monkey and can't fit a rectangle into a circle. In any case, the company just has amazing marketing power and can sell you your own a$$ if they could make a penny on it.

If you happen to own or have any KWA M4/16, just remember to take good care of it! Learn your gearbox and gun before you try to make any kind of modification, or else you might be digging your own grave. Clean your mags regulary. Take care of the hop up with PURE silicone. Nothing with oil. Make sure the gears are aligned every 50,000 rounds to be safe. Just remember, that this is with any gun. If you've custom built a gearbox, check alignment every GAME.

Overall, KWA is like any other company. They want to get ahead of others. The guns they make are purely performance rated, and not always for durability. "Li-Po" ready doesn't necessarily mean it's ready to sustain >25BPS rate of fire for longer than a few seconds without ruining itself, but the guns can surely take a beating.

Now, I'm no tech/pro with these guns, but I've learned more than enough to work on them and judge them accordingly. The longer this company stays up, the better and quicker they can adapt to problems like compression, gearbox cracking, and AOE adjustment STOCK. Just like any company, they just have to get ahead of the 8-Ball and find out what pocket it is going in.

If you have anything to add here, please feel free. Keep the comments simple and nice, please.

This thread will be updated many times, so check it out every once in awhile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things

Last edited by Flenner; 09-09-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Reserved for some pictures.
Quote:

Last edited by Flenner; 04-07-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Edit: 4/7/2014

Hey guys, haven't updated this thread in a long time...(2 Years...) I almost forgot all about it, but this gun is still running strong as it has ever been. Switched the upper in mid-2013, but not the hop-up and bucking.

Re-Wired the MOSFET (The same FET) for connectors so I can unplug it for easier takedown, went through around 50,000 rounds since the last post, and a few OPS including Blind Fury 10. The only time the gun stopped working, or had issues, was when I lost my butt-plate and the battery fell out. The wire came off the deans connector and that was easily sautered. I can hear a worn pinion during fire, so I'm probably going to replace that soon.

Other than that, to all you KWA haters.. This gun is 5 years old. It's been through so many rounds, I can barely even imagine to fathom the amount of total revolutions it has handled. Sure, I work on the gun from time to time...but that's called regular maintenance, and for $365 it has served me better than many players who complain about the QC.

1st Generation KWA 2GX. Isn't it amazing what regular maintenance can do?

-Flenner
Quote:
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM

The_Gecko is a Private
I really like the idea of a journal about one's journey with the same rifle, provided that the author eventually begins learning and in turn behind dispensing that wisdom.

I agree, regular maintenance is key. I own an SR12 and SR5; the longest and shortest of that rifles series. I ruined a set of gears recently, but it was my own fault: bad shim job. I've learned my lesson though. I started using an analogue caliper to assist me in picking the right shims and now my gearboxes run like greased lightning.

Tags
2gx, kwa, panda is a sex monster, ris, version 2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: