Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
G&G TopTech TR4-18 Light (HK416)

Ok all, I just picked up a new rifle yesterday to replace my Frankenstein M4 build. I decided on the TopTech TR4-18 because I've always had a soft spot for the 416, I've just never wanted to spend the money you have to in order to get one (I'm cheap, sue me). Because I work at my local airsoft field, i got it a little cheaper than it usually runs (~$400). I picked it up for $350. Got it home last night and replaced the plastic hop-up with the nicer metal unit from my old M4. Although literally EVERYTHING else on the gun is metal (except the grip and stock, of course), TopTech went for their plastic "G&G Green" assembly you see on virtually all guns with a G&G logo. I actually kept the bucking and added that to my metal unit, though. The bucking itself is quite nice.

I also added the holographic sight, foregrip, and silencer from my old M4. The last addition was probably the strangest, though. The monolithic 416 rail system on the TopTech is beyond nice, and I'm loving it already...however, it's sharp as hell! Sharp to the point that's it's almost uncomfortable in your bare hand. I simply added a lone rail cover to the bottom rail and found that that alleviated the problem.

Another slight greivance i discovered when I was breaking into the gun to switch hop-ups. The upper and lower reciever actually required a rubber mallet to seperate. Although it DOES make it harder to service the gun, once back togother, the thing is like a brick. I guarantee you won't be able to find any wobbling between the recievers, and that's something I DO like.

The neater features on the gun are worth mentioning as well, not the least of which happens to be G&G's patented pneumatic blowback system. I know it robs fps, and you gotta keep the dirt out and yadda yadda. But dammit, I like it! Other features worth mentioning are the functioning forward assist which, when pressed, releases your spring. If done at the end of each day you use it, i imagine you'll get a longer and stronger life out each spring, and probably out of the gearbox itself. The fire selector switch also proved to be top quality. It has that nice and crisp feel when you push it into each seperate firing mode (ANDDDD, the wheel on the other side of the body turns WITH the fire select! I know this seems trivial, but you dont see this with virtually ANY other AEG, and i just thought it was a nice little touch).

I think, in terms of build quality, G&G ranks among the premier manufacturers of the industry right now, and I expect this particular aeg to last YEARS down the road. Now, I know a lot of you are probably wonderingwwhy I didn't just save up the couple extra bucks to buy the VFC? My answer is...originality. It seems as though every time you see a 416 on the field, it's a VFC. Given, it's a beautiful gun from the aesthetic and funtionality aspects, and I'm definitely not knocking on the quality there. However, as an airsoft tech, I've developed great faith in the G&G gearboxes over time, and the quality you see in the VFC is matched, if not (dare I say it?) surpassed by the G&G 416.

The handful of firing tests in my backyard have pretty much sold me on the gun, and I'm happy to have spent every penny on this newest addition. The (stock!) 6.03mm tightbore barrel gives breathtaking consistency between shots while in semi auto. If you decide to get trigger happy on full auto, the thing very literally shoots a laserbeam of plastic! I didn't think to chrono it before i left the shop yesterday, but i would bet a significant amount of my next paycheck that it's shooting WAYYY hotter than the 330FPS that G&G claims the gun shoots with .2's.

Also, the blowback feature has yet to have any hiccups, even on full auto. There's a reason their pneumatic blowback system is patented, boys and girls! And the trigger response? Before firing the gun, I was debating throwing in the spare mosfet lying in my drawer and running lipo's. After shooting the thing, I'll spend that money and time elsewhere, thank you! I was surprised enough to take a look at the wiring to see how it was even possible to get that kind of response out of the 9.6V nunchuck i was using. I know that TopTech's is pretty much G&G's flagship line and everything, but I think they may have gone so far as to use silver plated wires...and I'm being serious, here.

I'll try and post some pics along with this thread, as well. But before you buy the VFC 416 on an impulse, just give the TR4-18 a try. I promise that, at the very least, you walk away surprised. Hou may even wind up walking away with a new addition to your arsenal, as I did!

Last edited by CJ1993; 07-19-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Yams is a Private
Paragraphs? :'(
Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
That plastic G&G hopup is awesome. Most likely better than the one you replaced it with.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Here's a pic of Kayla. Yeah, that's her name
Name:  Urgun.jpeg
Views: 1235
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Sorry about the editing problems, I wrote this up on my phone and it's kind of impossible to catch everything on this tiny friggin screen. I apologize for the lack of paragraphs as well, my friends lol
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post
That plastic G&G hopup is awesome. Most likely better than the one you replaced it with.
I think my metal one IS a G&G that i bought aftermarket lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
The plastic ones hold hop and drift less.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post
The plastic ones hold hop and drift less.
It's a good thing i keep all my airsoft parts, then lol! Perhaps I'll switch it back sometime...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
I would get a prowin if it doesn't affect the blowback. I always wanted a top tech, but all the extra parts are just more to break. Now that I have a gbbr. I'm glad I saved my money.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Baccarra is a Private
I'll add on to your review here. I also own a Top Tech 416 and I like it as well.

The thing is a major pain to get apart, I needed help from my father to pry the upper from the lower, but it is extremely sturdy.

G&G did use silver plated wires in this gun, surprising because their other models have really thin and sh** wiring, but the wires have a plastic cover and they end up coming together only being separated by a little plastic. This is kind of a flaw in the wiring as if the plastic cracks you are going to need to replace the wiring. The plastic in mine cracked and my wires melted.

Other then the wiring and pain to take apart the gun is a great gun. It fires very accurately and fairly fire. On top of that it has a really nice rate of fire out of the box, similar to my friends G&P which I upgraded for him. I disabled the blowback function on mine and its shooting at a solid 304 + or - 1 on .25's.

Although I do like mine, if your planning on doing any work on you gun I don't suggest getting this.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccarra View Post
I'll add on to your review here. I also own a Top Tech 416 and I like it as well.

The thing is a major pain to get apart, I needed help from my father to pry the upper from the lower, but it is extremely sturdy.

G&G did use silver plated wires in this gun, surprising because their other models have really thin and sh** wiring, but the wires have a plastic cover and they end up coming together only being separated by a little plastic. This is kind of a flaw in the wiring as if the plastic cracks you are going to need to replace the wiring. The plastic in mine cracked and my wires melted.

Other then the wiring and pain to take apart the gun is a great gun. It fires very accurately and fairly fire. On top of that it has a really nice rate of fire out of the box, similar to my friends G&P which I upgraded for him. I disabled the blowback function on mine and its shooting at a solid 304 + or - 1 on .25's.

Although I do like mine, if your planning on doing any work on you gun I don't suggest getting this.
Wow, I chronographed mine yesterday at the shop and was shooting a consistent 362fps with .2's. Yeah, the recievers are determinedly stubborn to separate, but I consider that to be a testament the the quality/durability with which the gun is made. I actually employed as an airsoft tech, so upgrading sometime later on down the road isn't a possibility that would make me nervous, but as of now, there's no need to upgrade anything, imo.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
I tried the chrono with some .25's as well and was only shooting about 324 fps, so your number doesn't seem that low, actually. I was thinking you were shooting 300 with .2's for a second, there lol! Can i ask how long you've had your gun?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM

Baccarra is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1993 View Post
Wow, I chronographed mine yesterday at the shop and was shooting a consistent 362fps with .2's. Yeah, the recievers are determinedly stubborn to separate, but I consider that to be a testament the the quality/durability with which the gun is made. I actually employed as an airsoft tech, so upgrading sometime later on down the road isn't a possibility that would make me nervous, but as of now, there's no need to upgrade anything, imo.
I'm not nervous of upgrading it, I plan on overhauling it with SHS parts and a Lonex high speed motor soon to try and get around 50 rps. It's not going to be fun though. It's a super sturdy gun but it has its downfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1993 View Post
I tried the chrono with some .25's as well and was only shooting about 324 fps, so your number doesn't seem that low, actually. I was thinking you were shooting 300 with .2's for a second, there lol! Can i ask how long you've had your gun?
It's less then a year old. It's shooting super consistent so I have no complaints with how it shoots. It's seen around 7000 rounds.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
Just a little update here, I swapped out the G&G motor for a SHS motor I had lying around. shooting around 21bps now (7.4v lipo), still consistently shooting low 360's. No complaints STILL after a month of heavy usage. thinking about a prowin hopup for the next little upgrade. Yay or nay?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM

CJ1993 is a Private
As was expected, the shs motor stripped my piston lol. While i was in the gearbox, i took the time to truly disable the blowback (installing a new cylinder). Chrono results will folliw.

Tags
g&g, hk416, toptech, tr4-18

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: