Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
MilSim-Field Artillery

I've recently started making mortars and howitzer style artillery for use in airsoft when I'm at home with friends. I want to know if there are fields that allow man portable heavy weapons that shoot soft foam projectiles (nerf vortex ball) that look like mortar rounds. They have decent range but to test them I've taken direct blows from just a few feet away, they don't even leave a bruise. They are powered by a bike pump (like I said, it's man portable) so there is no need for combustibles, or high pressure from an air compressor. They are very safe, very easy to use, and add a bit more realism to lots of scenarios. Anyone have a field near Orrville that would like to host a few games in June to test the practicality out, and see if it could become a regular thing?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 AM

Fanglor is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fanglor Send a message via MSN to Fanglor
I don't know about howitzer style, but these are already in effect, so I don't see how it'd be a problem safety wise. However I suppose getting one of a larger variety as you seem to be hinting towards, would be hard to even use...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
It would be up to the event organizer, but I think it would be a go. You are firing a light projectile at low velocities. I think for them to work, you would need to have a ref close and to do large area kills or building kills.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM

x Iceman x Z72 is a Private
I think it'd be cool to see one of those in use, or, even a mortar that a small team could set-up. With a Howitzer you could stage missions to take it out and things of that sort. I'd love to see how this pans out
BTT
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Yeah, I've tried making really small ones you could hook up to molle gear but they just dont have any range, and the bigger ones that fire large nerf balls need at least a go-kart to transport.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
I'm working on a mortar right now that could easily be used by one to three guys on a field. It only weighs like 4 pounds and can be brake down to fit into an assault pack. The PVC pipe to make them is pretty cheap at most hardware stores so I'm planning on maybe selling a couple to local fields or players. Some pictures should be up soon.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
I cant tell you how many times I've almost gotten a direct hit on someone and the look down at the ball and just kind of shrug it off and walk away not knowing where it even came from. The balls whistle when they fly (usually) so they are hard not to notice. Ive found that putting a strip of duct tape around the middle of the ball makes a tighter seal and add 15 to 20 feet more range. Even then, the farthest in can get a smaller man carried one to go is about 200-250 feet.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
I've been working on one for the last week. It's still in the prototype stage, but I have a working model. It also is powered by a bicycle pump, and I can get it up to around 80-90 PSI. (I probably should have made the air chamber a little larger) It looks close to a mortar tube, is portable, and so far have tested shooting the nerf type rockets about 200+ feet with 20 strokes of the pump. There are a few changes I want to make on the next one, but it's definately working, and fun! I, like Ecko, plan on making several of these for the field and for OOTBI for their events. You could easily field a squad/mortar team with these. As far as field use in game, you would need to alert a field ref of the area you plan to 'shell' so they can make the appropriate call as to who was hit and the area of effect.

A friend gave me a MUCH larger launcer that someone else had built and abandoned. It needs charge by a compressor or an HPA tank, but it's in the realm of a howitzer in size. Over 7 feet long. It will need some TLC before it's usable and a cart or stand because of it's size, but should be epic if we can get it working!
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
I've been working on one for the last week. It's still in the prototype stage, but I have a working model. It also is powered by a bicycle pump, and I can get it up to around 80-90 PSI. (I probably should have made the air chamber a little larger) It looks close to a mortar tube, is portable, and so far have tested shooting the nerf type rockets about 200+ feet with 20 strokes of the pump. There are a few changes I want to make on the next one, but it's definately working, and fun! I, like Ecko, plan on making several of these for the field and for OOTBI for their events. You could easily field a squad/mortar team with these. As far as field use in game, you would need to alert a field ref of the area you plan to 'shell' so they can make the appropriate call as to who was hit and the area of effect.

A friend gave me a MUCH larger launcer that someone else had built and abandoned. It needs charge by a compressor or an HPA tank, but it's in the realm of a howitzer in size. Over 7 feet long. It will need some TLC before it's usable and a cart or stand because of it's size, but should be epic if we can get it working!
You sir, are my long lost twin brother! I said this earlier but I'm gonna post pictures/plans on the cannons, but yours sounds a whole lot like the one I'm making right now. I'm having a bit of trouble making it small enough and comfortable to carry without losing accuracy or power. Could you post some pictures of what yours looks like? If I use any ideas from your design I'll be sure to tell others about it.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
I got my design by watching a few hours of video on youtube and implementing aspects of the different designs I saw. I shot a short video of the test from Friday with my son. It's his el cheapo vid cam and him filming, so you can't see where it lands. sorry about that. I really need to invest in my own camcorder soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAms-pee-Q

I'm leaving in a few minutes to head to the field to do some more accuracy tests in relation to structures on the field.
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
I got my design by watching a few hours of video on youtube and implementing aspects of the different designs I saw. I shot a short video of the test from Friday with my son. It's his el cheapo vid cam and him filming, so you can't see where it lands. sorry about that. I really need to invest in my own camcorder soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAms-pee-Q

I'm leaving in a few minutes to head to the field to do some more accuracy tests in relation to structures on the field.
The footballs I'm using in mine are those little pocket ones, but those seem to be much more effective. You should add a folding bipod made from smaller PVC and add one of those M249 style slings, paint it OD green and it would be pretty cool. I can't wait to read all the posts on the forum about some guy walking around with a freaking mortar on his back.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM

storm401 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to storm401
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FV_iJGy6I

^ now thats an awesome "artillery" piece, but at most games where there are no tanks its a cool but impractical tool
Jack O'Neill: Never run with... scissors?
SG1
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm401 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FV_iJGy6I

^ now thats an awesome "artillery" piece, but at most games where there are no tanks its a cool but impractical tool
Thats AWESOME! Yeah, i didnt plan an anything THAT big. Most of the ones I make are anti-personnel anyway. Imagine getting hit directly with one of those though!

Last edited by Ecko Squad; 04-22-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM

szak416 is a Private
Take a look at this,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3f...m41v9UoRKwapxA i would love to recreate this but i am currently unsure how to.

"Mess with the bull and you get the horn, and by horn I mean my benchmade."
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by szak416 View Post
Take a look at this,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3f...m41v9UoRKwapxA i would love to recreate this but i am currently unsure how to.
I have been put to shame. O.O
Old 04-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Lenahan is a Recruit Private
It would be cool. Im looking to build a mortar but Im stumped. All I want to say is, don't shoot it in the air! A projectile comes down faster then it being shot out, thats my problem.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenahan View Post
All I want to say is, don't shoot it in the air! A projectile comes down faster then it being shot out, thats my problem.
That's why it all depends on the ammo you use. I think the approved ammo is the nerf Vortex football things and the knockoffs.

In response to making the howitzer..look a the guys youtube channel. He has a rather long 'how to' video that glosses over it. for the big one..he actually had to cut a strip out of the pipe he used for a barrel and glue it back together to make a smaller diameter. It was just a tad too big for the ammo first time around.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM

TheG.O.A.T. is a Private
I'm working on a co2 powered molter, based off this rocket launcher.
http://kipkay.com/wp-content/uploads...tructions2.pdf
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
Field owner of Fallen Warriors came out with me today to give the mortar a test to see the range in relation to the buildings. Not bad. I envisioned it either going further, or was thinking the buildings were closer together. Beh..the wind was blowing pretty good and we think that affected out distance a little.

http://youtu.be/d0QfpNVNbjQ
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG.O.A.T. View Post
I'm working on a co2 powered molter, based off this rocket launcher.
http://kipkay.com/wp-content/uploads...tructions2.pdf
Good luck and let me know how that works out! Kipkay is awesome btw.

Last edited by Ecko Squad; 04-22-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Ecko Squad is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenahan View Post
It would be cool. Im looking to build a mortar but Im stumped. All I want to say is, don't shoot it in the air! A projectile comes down faster then it being shot out, thats my problem.
True but a foam missiles terminal velocity is far from dangerous.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Shack from Team CY6 had made missiles out of swimming pool noodles. They were light and safe and used at an airsoft ohio event. I'm sure you can make rockets and shells any size out of them. Here is video of it: http://youtu.be/aBt_W_qxcLs?hd=1

Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM

WhiteOut is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post
Shack from Team CY6 had made missiles out of swimming pool noodles. They were light and safe and used at an airsoft ohio event. I'm sure you can make rockets and shells any size out of them. Here is video of it: http://youtu.be/aBt_W_qxcLs?hd=1

That was surprisingly effective!
MARSOC (WIP)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM

TheG.O.A.T. is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post

thanks i'll try some shell designs using them.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM

WhiteOut is a Private
Now I want to make a Javelin!
MARSOC (WIP)

Tags
artillery, howitzer, milsim, mortar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: