Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Wraith is a Private First Class
Send a message via ICQ to Wraith
Fallen Warrior Airsoft 10/26 & 10/27 AAR

10/26

What a day. 145 people in attendance all eager for trigger time, and the one scenerio I had written to run half the day fell through when the prop was unable to be completed on time. So we got together and threw together a couple short scenerios to run for you guys. Yes, there were a few small bugs we didn't have time to work out, but I believe everyone still had fun and got plenty of trigger time. With that said, let's talk about a few things.

Sportsmanship:
145 people on the field and only one occassion where I thought I may have to intervene in a situation. That situation happened right at the beginning of the day and ended up being a non issue anyway. Our main problem for the day was calling hits. I called a few people on it, but I know I didn't get to everyone. I felt the need to be a little more forgiving on this due to the weather ( extra clothing) and the amount of action going on at once. The few people who seemed to be a problem I tried to address. Several people I told to call their hits didn't even realize they were under attack because they had focused on what was happening to their front, not realizing they had been flanked. Those people immediately done the honorable thing and called themselves out. No arguements, a simple apology and off they went to respawn.

I heard rumors of zombies...but I didn't see any, nor did my zombie hunters get to kill any... awesome!

The Games:

As I stated, we threw together a couple scenerios for you guys after I failed to get the prop finished I had been planning on using. After seeing the two teams on the field though, I'm afraid it would have ran nearly the whole day considering the two teams seemed pretty evenly matched so I think it ended up working out for the better as it gave us the opportunity to run other things and still keep the more relaxed open play atmosphere we had advertised. We'll hold the other scenerio for a possible milsim event later on after I get the couple things I still need to finish the prop.

What went wrong: I had planned for a linear type assault for the first scenerio working from the new area and progressing through the villages up the hill ending at the upper village. Instead we split forces and made the assault in to two different locations. This caused a problem with vehicle placement which slowed the green force down as they were unable to respawn. ( Sorry guys.)

People seemed to be confused about respawns all day. However, I asked multiple times after I outlined the games and the rules if anyone had any questions. I answered all the questions that were asked and double checked whether that question had been answered in a way everyone understood. I do not feel responsible for this problem as everyone had ample opportunities to have anything explained again before we started the game. If you don't understand something...ask ahead of time. Especially when someone is asking you if you have any questions. I would rather take the time and explain it to everyone at once before the game than to have to explain it 50 times to 50 different individuals during the game. I'm pretty easy going, I won't shoot you for asking a question during pre game briefing...or at least I haven't yet.

Complaints I heard: ( Other than hit calling )

We didn't assign team commanders.

No, we didn't. This was not advertised as a milsim event and was not meant to be ran as one. Yes, we ran a couple milsim type games, but we wanted to keep the open play atmosphere for our new players who were also on the field. We WILL be planning events for the future which will offer the milsim game type you are looking for. Sorry if the confusion came from our end.

I scared the people during my briefing in to not calling for medics.

This stems from my "no zombies on the field" rule. However, I feel that people know the difference between talking when you are dead and calling for a medic. I stand behind this rule. If you have been hit you are considered DEAD. If you talk to a living team mate, then you MUST be UNdead... I am going to rectify the problem by making sure you are dead and stay dead. If you are living and are talking to a dead team mate, you must be be a zombie whisperer. They are every bit as bad as a zombie in my opinion and I will shoot them until they are dead and I know they are going to stay dead. If medics are used, then it should be understood that calling for a medic is not the same as talking to your team mate while you are dead. If that was a problem, I apologize. I don't think it was an issue as I heard shouts for medics most of the time. The issue was the lack of medics and understanding it was just as easy to bleed out and respawn than to rely on a medic getting there.

Nobody knows what they're doing.

That is what the pregame briefing is all about. If YOU don't understand, ask. The majority of people knew exactly what was required and the games progressed in the way they were meant overall.

The upper level of the new constructed building was wobbley when about 8 - 10 people were up there.

Okay, this is one that we will have to address. We will have to limit the amount of people who can be in the upstairs at one time. Thank you for bringing that to our attention who ever that was who pointed it out.

Overall it seemed as if most people had fun, got plenty of trigger time, and got to try out our new area.

10/27

From 145 people to 7. A significant difference in numbers. I struggle when it comes to making up things for small groups to do, but I think everyone still had fun despite the low turnout. Some gun issues, some ammo issues... guess you'll have those no matter how small the group.

To our former paintballers from Dayton who decided to give airsoft a try, I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed it and are talking about investing in the sport. Awesome. We hope we will see you out again soon. To our two young men who wanted to try the field after seeing the pictures, I hope you guys had fun and that we will see you two back as well. To everyone who came out Sunday, sorry for the low attendance... I think we wore everyone out Saturday... everyone except Cole.

Alright guys, that completes this novel. Now let's hear YOUR view of how things went.

Man will occasionally stumble across the truth, but most of the time he will get back up and continue.
-Winston Churchill-
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Wraith is a Private First Class
Send a message via ICQ to Wraith
Some raw footage of game play in the new area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0kVaxiRMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atjv0txZyTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGr7A5n_ic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlf5xX7iUw

Man will occasionally stumble across the truth, but most of the time he will get back up and continue.
-Winston Churchill-
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Eightball is a Recruit Private
The 2 newcomers I brought had a great time at their first big event. As usual, I had a great time as well. The weather was pretty chilly, but good (at least it didn't rain).

The Good:

The amount of people: I was very excited to see the amount of players that turned out. The Kentucky/Indiana team were some very cool guys and I hope they join us again. 145 players is the official total correct?

Sportsmanship: I saw alot of good sportsmanship and some pretty good tactics being used by both teams throughout the day. Better communications among the teams may have helped out alot, but we still got things done.

The Game Styles and Missions: Whether it was attack and defend, chaos, plant the flag, or whatever, the games were very fast paced, with very few kinks that couldn't be worked out quickly. I did enjoy the milsim elements being added throughout the day to keep the games from being pointless shooting, and helping newer people to wrap their heads around the concept of milsim.

The players themselves: Most of the people I saw seemed willing to help each other out whether it was lending gas for a gun, ammo, or advice to younger player. From my perspective hit calling was pretty good from green team(more on this later). Most of the people I ran across seemed pretty motivated and ready for action, willing to take the fight to the enemy instead of sitting around.

The Refs: I saw the refs and event stuff on the field alot throughout the day doing what they could with around 145 players running around. The presence of refs encourages some people to call hits and have better sportsmanship in my opinion.

Organization: Good job FW staff for making this happen! The chrono tape was a helpful reminder to some players who were confused about how close they could engage someone. I can only imagine how nerve wracking 145 people trying to get registered, sign waivers, buy things, and get food can be, but you guys made it happen and the day went pretty smoothly, so good job.

The Bad:

Sportsmanship: When the day started out, the hit calling was pretty good on both sides from my perspective, but as the day got longer, so did the time I had to hold down the trigger to get people to call hits. During one game, we had around 5 minutes left and some of the tan guys who were dead with me did not want to respawn because they were tired of people not calling hits. The worst occasion for me was the last game. Tan team's advance was halted by some of green teams non hit calling. I do understand, that some of it may not have hit you, or you didn't feel it, but when 7 or 8 guys are shooting at you, and you're in a very enclosed space where we can see large parts of you, something is hitting you. Some green guys in the lower village compound didn't want to call their hits after we threw a grenade into the first level or any bang bangs.
Tan wasn't innocent either, I did see some non hit calling out of frustration that the target wasn't calling it, or simple I don't want to call it because respawn is too far away.

The Games: Although pretty well put together, there were times some of us didn't know what to do. My misunderstandings stemmed from people around me talking about random stuff during briefings instead of paying attention. Seriously guys, briefings are there to make sure everyone understands the games and has a good time, not for you to brag about your super cool gun of doom that you can't properly use because you don't know what's going on.

Blind Firing/Bang Bang/Parlay/MED's: The basic safety rules for this game were spelled out at the beginning of the day and before most of the missions. It became an issue when we started playing games that were more close quarters. There is an old warning about blind firing, you may stick it into someone's ear, well this happened to me. I was approaching a building, and I saw a barrel pole around a corner and I was shot twice in the ear from around 7-10 feet away leaving me with a bloody ear back to respawn. Bang Bang shouldn't be your second option when you get to a building, you can't say Bang Bang after you shoot someone at close range, bang bang is a safety parameter so you don't injure someone at close range.

Overall: I had a great time, definitely my favorite game so far. The new people I brought had a great time and said it was worth the drive, which I agree with. I got lot's of trigger time, met some nice people, had alot of fun, and went home with two new guns. I hope we have more big games like this in the future, because it was great meeting guys from different states, fighting with them, and learning from them. The sportsmanship was good throughout the day, and could have been better, but hey, sometimes tempers and egos get the best of us. A big thanks to the Fallen Warriors staff for making this happen!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
sorry to be so long getting to this.... life is busy...

Tokie, Wraith & the crew put on a good event with some nice new improvements to the field, sign in, chrono, test fire area, parking & so on... was good to be there.

Team TOG had a great day of slinging lots of plastic.... & thats what this day was. a great day of OPEN PLAY..

it was an OPEN PLAY.. designed for high trigger time & to keep it fast paced without all the boring "tree guarding, camping, wanna be drill sergeants" that can take over at a milsim real easily.

as mentioned there were 145-150 paid people there & TOG had 12 of them...

as mentioned in both of the posts above:

people who didnt know what was going on just didnt pay attention during the briefings... many of us (me included) will bull**** during this time on an open play & sometimes you miss what you needed to hear.

Medics: with this many people playing & 2 medics on a team of 70+ people attacking from multiple fronts? come on! get a grip! theres no way they ever had a chance to keep up..... so what happened is the medics stayed with the group that they could cover the easiest & other groups (like TOG) would know ahead of time that we were gonna bleed out & go to the respawn..

again: this is an OPEN PLAY & no one really died.. so its not a big deal. put on a red rag, walk to the spawn, get back in the game.

scenarios:

1st mission: as Wraith said with the green split & attack it was pretty tough to get going with the vehicle respawn.. throw in some very very good tan defense & it was a great game once under way... just slow to start.

Tan won that game fair & square as green just ran out of time at the end... we could see that last flag but just not get it...

2nd: Chaos is one of my favorite games.. but i didnt care much for it in the new construction area... put 140+ people in an area about 100 x 200 & chaos is not enough of a name for it. LMAO its more like slaughterfest.

this game quickly turned into a shoot/slap/shoot/slap deal.... as soon as you were shot you were claimed & then shot again. there was no escape once the game settled into that new construction area... & thats why there wasnt a clear cut 1 team winner in the time frame.

3rd: this was a short 1 kill elimination round to get to lunch.. very quick, very good game lots of killing in a short time span.. very much an open play style game.

after lunch.....

this game went about like the very first game in reverse with Tan making a quick push to grab some flags but just not able to get that last one....

now about that sportsmanship & hit calling..

this was actually one of the best large open play days ive seen for hit calling. there will always be no callers & super bullet proof people.... its part of it. there is always a way to take care of that, but it means your not showing good sportsmanship yourself when you do it.

sportsmanship wasnt bad at all & there were very few of the "did you see that guy not call that!" tossed out there.. especially for this many people & im pretty sure there were close to 50 total noobs that had never played, which is a huge amount to break in.

but were there bullet proof people? OF COURSE.

as mentioned by Eightball.... ive got no clue (no matter what team your on)how your not dead when a thunder b or PX grenade comes in the room with you and goes off... beats all ive ever seen on that one & he's not making it up.

it happened on both green & tan... saw a thunder B from Tan go in a window & 4 green guys said "nah didnt get me"... same thing when Demon thru a PX in the window in the lower village on tan... 6 guys on that ground level when it went off.. only 2 guys owned up...

bang bangs/parlays/safety kills....... people still just refuse to take them....... this results in people being shot point blank.. & then they want to complain about it.

if you wont take a bang bang or safety kill?? then dont whine when you get lit up from 6' away. its your own doing.

if i even think you got the drop on me? i'll take it... big deal.... bleed out, respawn & get back in... its just not that big of a deal to die in these games. Rygar & me do it all the time.

there was 1 thing near that end of the game that i know frustrated the Tan team... when they were making that final push and killing the Green force by the bucket load.. we had about 35 people right there at the respawn point.. as fast as you could shoot someone they would be dragged back in and respawn.. this left Tan with endless targets but also seemingly a bullet proof force they were attacking..

at that particular point it would have been smart on their part to have just mass charged from both sides of the town with some grenades & smoke cover.. they could have taken that point & flag pretty easy if they had pushed together instead of just the 4-5 brave souls who kept poking their heads out from the end of town.

the only real complaint our team had? that you couldnt kill the gunships at all.. this needed to be different.. they needed to be able to be killed in some manner.. but we just shot the crap out of everyone in them anyway.

all in all it was perfect weather and a great day... but people need to realize that open plays are open plays and are NOT milsims.. they dont work the same, arent structured the same & have entirely different purposes.

i like milsims, medimum milsims & even light roll player games....they all have their place on our schedule..

but a open play is just not well suited for those who have to have a rigid structure & someone bossing them around every time they play.

for the people who need that structure & discipline? maybe they should stick to milsims so they dont get upset for it not being rigid enough.

"Builders helping Builders"
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Eightball is a Recruit Private
I think I was in the building that the aforementioned PX went off in, I called my hit, and I did see a few guys I was with in there not call it just to confirm it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM

oranges is a Private
This was another great open play at FW. The crew there does the best ot get to the issues that are brought up but with having such a large crowd it can get a little hectic. The best thing or me to do rather than get so angry was to talk to Wraith or Tokie personally instead f running around mumbling under my breath or gossiping.

It was a great time non the less. cant wait till I can get to another open play or maybe they will host an event soon
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM

alecmclovin is a Private
Here's some footage I have so far-

http://youtu.be/AzKsNJusdZ0

http://youtu.be/tl0u1_aW59g

I had a good time. Lots of great trigger time. I got to run my green onsie for the first time, as well as get most of the team there.
Pros-
- lots of people to shoot at
- Finally got my polarstar working
- Pretty solid games. Green pretty much had to chase tan around all day as tan was mostly ordered to defend objectives. I would have liked to see both sides defend and attack more equally.
- vehicles driving around on gun runs. Vehicles add a cool dimension to gameplay. It was a shame whoever was in the new village and shot my friend Justin in the face from 15ft away. This is why we can't have nice things.
- new lower village was awesome! Love the new tower building.

Cons-
- lots of new players on green side as well as tan side. But mostly green side. Most of these players. Also a good thing as well if more experienced guys help them out. A few guys on my team as well as myself intentionally try to help newer players understand the game. This is vital and I did not see a whole lot of it going on today.
- some really bad instances of hit calling and teams cursing at each other. I understand that this is always brought up in an aar thread. However during this event there were some pretty blatant examples of it. I got some footage of it and showed it to Tokey so that's in his hands. It was a little colder so more clothing adds to people not calling it. As mentioned in briefing just hit them with more rounds instead of yelling at them.

Overall was an awesome event. Great job FW
Proverbs 27:19
Jesus Christ is my Savior, ask me anything about Him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/alecmac111

Last edited by alecmclovin; 11-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Shadow_mercinary is a Private
I was in said green team gunship SDK member me? m249 chrono'd green? I still have scabs from getting lit without being able to take cover... I agree you should have a way to disable the gunships but small arms are not the way about it. I've never been in a vehicle based scenario or heard of one where firing into the vehicle was considered fair play. I think that can get you benched at OP Irene for firing into the open door of an APC although I'm not certain. The one thing I did have an issue with was as the day went on less and less people quit caring about MEDs This was also noticeable in the "gunship" If I take a full auto burst to my side and it draws blood through underarmor a t shirt and a hoodie, your gun was shooting way to hot for FA firing. There was a kid to my left in the gunship who took a hell of a zinger to the face passing the chow hall. Other than those minor problems I had a wonderful time, was amazed at the performance of my M249 its first time out since rebuild and was blown away by the AO. We will deff be back.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmclovin View Post
Here's some footage I have so far-

http://youtu.be/AzKsNJusdZ0

http://youtu.be/tl0u1_aW59g

I had a good time. Lots of great trigger time. I got to run my green onsie for the first time, as well as get most of the team there.
Pros-
- lots of people to shoot at
- Finally got my polarstar working
- Pretty solid games. Green pretty much had to chase tan around all day as tan was mostly ordered to defend objectives. I would have liked to see both sides defend and attack more equally.
- vehicles driving around on gun runs. Vehicles add a cool dimension to gameplay. It was a shame whoever was in the new village and shot my friend Justin in the face from 15ft away. This is why we can't have nice things.
- new lower village was awesome! Love the new tower building.

Cons-
- lots of new players on green side as well as tan side. But mostly green side. Most of these players. Also a good thing as well if more experienced guys help them out. A few guys on my team as well as myself intentionally try to help newer players understand the game. This is vital and I did not see a whole lot of it going on today.
- some really bad instances of hit calling and teams cursing at each other. I understand that this is always brought up in an aar thread. However during this event there were some pretty blatant examples of it. I got some footage of it and showed it to Tokey so that's in his hands. It was a little colder so more clothing adds to people not calling it. As mentioned in briefing just hit them with more rounds instead of yelling at them.

Overall was an awesome event. Great job FW
I imagine your friend justin was the kid i was talking about in my post. I was there. bad call on whoever thought that was proper. hit him so hard his head jerked back like he got clipped with a real firearm. then blood.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM

sdk1968 is a Private
Yeah shadow merch.... I remember u.... :-)

First sub 350fps 249 ive ever seen!

The vehicle thing was established that they were shootable..... Since they were "unkillable".. the only defense you had was to make them duck or turn away....

both sides were told no grenades into vehicles.... But if someone wants to ride in there & not be killable? While pinning me down?

Uh yeah they are gonna get shot at in return..

no one forces anyone to be in a vehicle.. they were there being unkillable by choice.

sure seemed like fun to people in vehicles when their targets were getting pasted & couldnt stop them..

your choices are slim .. let a gunship pin you down while their troops run over you or fight back.

tan & green both chose to fight back. Made it fair both ways.

maybe a way to disable the vehicle would have been a better approach, ut we didnt bri g any rockets that day.

"Builders helping Builders"
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM

THanks man, ran flawless other than depleting its 2500 round drum multiple times =]

On to the subject of the gunships. This is all true. The only hang up i had on people being able to return fire into the gunships was the safety aspect of it. you're in a vehicle that has no doors seats or windows but the front windshield. The unkillable aspect of it was not what i had talked with wraith about. either way I just believed whether fair or not Its not a smart judgement to stitch up a fully exposed played at close range without cover. The kid to my left in the gun truck learned that with a scar on the cheek. I wish anti-armor was in place but my guess is a heat of the moment decision at an open play the size of some decent Mil-sim Operations it wasn't clearly thought out. I did get some people nailing me on full auto that were clearly marked red barrels inside 25' So I do see both sides of the coin Its just what the "gunships" were supposed to emulate was that of a apache or a spooky circling the AO. That's what I talked with wraith about and thats the basis my AAR was written on. SDK you going to the summersville game at the end of the month? supposedly theres a warehouse or something great for CQB in the AO and I got a shiny new VFC MK18 mod 0

Last edited by Shadow_mercinary; 11-12-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: more thoughts cause my ADHD kicked in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: