Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Cloverfield

For those of you who are tired of the typical "Hollywood Monster Movie" or "Hollywood endings" this is a must see. I have been disappointed with action/horror movies for the past 20 years leaving "Aliens" the last movie to do it for me until tonight. "Cloverfield" is so well done and the effects blended in so well that the amount of work that must of went into it got lost in the action. My hat is off to the sound department on this film. I would say 90% of the scare factor is in the sound alone. I'll say no more, go see it.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 AM

ctrlurself is a Recruit Private
Agreed.

The greatest part of this movie is in the details... It's all shot from the 1st person view, the effects are seamless, and it is just done so well.

This is one of the few movies that I'm going to buy the DVD for.

And just so you save yourself the 5 minutes of your life... there is nothing after the credits.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 AM

Fat Tony is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fat Tony
I loved it. The monster was awesome, the scenes with the Army in action were awesome. It was just awesome all around. Thanks Ctrlurself, I was wondering. I wanted to stay for the credits, but the girlfriend not so much. The whole way home I was complaining that we missed something at the end of the credits.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 AM

FerretFace is a Private
Send a message via AIM to FerretFace
Fat Tony, were you at the AMC theatre in Easton? If you were, you didn't miss anything.

I have to say, that movie was awesome. For ~60 minutes of my life, I gave up my New Years Resolution of not biting my nails. It was INSANE. The effects could use some polishing. I sort of had the feeling that I was actually recording the events and wanted to turn the camera at a crucial moment. SOME of the things were pretty stupid (will explain in spoilers section).

*SPOILERS*

The ending left me hanging, yet effectively tied up lose ends. Nothing finishes off a story like a huge bomb. The thing I really loved about the movie is that you don't know what its origin was and you don't know if it was killed in the blast. The mystery is the beauty of it. You can only assume what happened.

My favorite scene was when the army was running through the street and Rob and the girls were seperated from Hud. The sound was deafening and pure awesome-ness.

I hated the fact that Beth not only lived through getting impaled, but also survived being pullled off that rod. And still being able to sprint in heels. Also in the subway, you would think that they would have the natural instinct to run when they saw the rats running in a huge crowd.

I have to agree with Evil Head, the sound was amazing. The scenes where the army was involved really shined. The gunfire, explosions, and tank fire rattled the theater.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:08 PM

raptor8390 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to raptor8390
i agree with the masses here that this movie was awesome. I thought the first person view, although not original (blairwitch), was used superbly. It really gave a sense of urgency and tension. I have heard a lot of negative reviews on this movie but i think its because they are failing to see where the movie is coming from. People expected a traditional movie with a deep plot with clips from someones camera. When they saw that this movie was first person the entire time, they were dissapointed. i have heard people complain that the movie never explained where the monster came from, but my response is that the people, whose point of view you were watching, wouldn't have the slightest clue where or why the monster came. That is what is so intense about this movie, you don't have any idea why this is happening.

i thought it was a brilliant film, with a very fresh look at the monster genre. i would see this movie again in a heartbeat.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Son of Liberty is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Son of Liberty Send a message via Yahoo to Son of Liberty
If anyone else spoils it I will tear your face off, eat it and gobble down your first born.
Warning: My vagina is big enough to swallow your self-esteem. Read my comments with caution.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 PM

FerretFace is a Private
MORE SPOILERS

If you play that audio blurb at the end backwards it says "it's still alive...."

Cloverfield 2 anyone? Or making Lost somehow tied to it?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Vitamin is a Private
Just got home from seeing the movie and I have to say that it is one of the best movies I have seen in along time. I loved the fact that you don't know were the alien or whatever it was, is from. That just gives you the feeling that you are part of it or watching it on the news.

Over all I give the movie an A. Would have given higher but the girl not dieing after being pulled off the stake and the helicopter pilot not flying away from the alien really let me down. I can see them not running when they saw the rats for the simple fact that I lived in Manhattan for a year and the people there do not have the common sense that most people do.

Only thing now is, are they going to make a second one?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 PM

FerretFace is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin View Post
I can see them not running when they saw the rats for the simple fact that I lived in Manhattan for a year and the people there do not have the common sense that most people do.

Only thing now is, are they going to make a second one?
Prejudice much? I would say NYC is home to many smart people. And many morons......

Read my other post. I expect them to make a second. SPOILER I'm guessing Rob lived, seeing as how he said into the camera "it's still alive". I just don't seeing it having the intesity of the original. I think that to keep the movie's beauty, they should leave it untouched. They will end up making either a complete clone or something that's just a generic invincible-monster-destroys-everything-movie. However, I would be psyched to see a Cloverfield 2 from a soldier's helmet camera. Same idea, but put into a different use.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM

CHAVEZ is a Private
***SPOILER***

I somehow missed this at the very end, but I guess when they did the very last flashback clip you can see something splash into the ocean. Anybody see this?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM

FerretFace is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVEZ View Post
***SPOILER***

I somehow missed this at the very end, but I guess when they did the very last flashback clip you can see something splash into the ocean. Anybody see this?
Yes. Some black blob fell from the sky and landed in the ocean. The video was taken before the NYC attack.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
I just saw it, and I don't remember a blob. Overall, the movie was worth every penny I paid.

.....but my friend bought my ticket.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 PM

hkrazy is a Private
I hated that movie sooooo much. It was such a great concept, but it wasnt worth the moolah. It should have been at least 15 minutes longer. That sucked. And they should have shot it from more cameras of different civvys. Otherwise, decent film.

Lulz and Rolls
Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
ok, so the movie is 15min too short and you hate the movie soooo much?

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM

arthenious is a Private
Overall i liked it. it definately ends with the possiblity of a sequel. And they don't always have to have it off that one monster. it isn't an isolated incident. at the beginning it says it was like case number 152 so it could have been all over the world. the effects were very well blended in, but these people weren't the smartest. i mean who doesn't hear tanks and soldiers running in the street behind them. And who doesn't notice the huge monster standing over them. just a few not well thought out parts. i thought at least someone would think hmmm, maybe pulling her off the spike isn't a good idea since it's impaled through her chest. and she's an inch from death, but oh god theres the monster suddenly i can sprint. just little things you know wouldn't happen. But it was a good movie, and there will definately be a sequel, G4 says the script is already in writing stages. i'll be going to that one.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 AM

hkrazy is a Private
Well, let me put it this way:

I thought the movie was good.

But I hated the way they ended it as well as how open it left the ending. I was extremely angry that the movie was short because I think they could have put alot more into it. But this also means I will have to attend the sequel.

Lulz and Rolls
Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 AM

airsoftman is a Private
Send a message via AIM to airsoftman
stop spoiling it,, i might go see it monday!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Reaper is a Private
I'm gonna see it with my girl on saturday next week, is it a kind of movie where she'd dig her nails into my hand if she's scared?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Fat Tony is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fat Tony
Yes. It's a jumper.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Miku is a Private First Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftman View Post
stop spoiling it,, i might go see it monday!
Not to single you out, but seriously, if you don't want it spoiled, don't read the thread.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Scorpion is a Private First Class
Mobius, myself and Orin all went last night to see it and it was everything you can hope for in a a monster movie and much much more.

My personal favorite part was in the subway tunnels...you'll know it when you see it, but if you need to visualize something just think "eye(s) of the beast".

I highly recommend this to everyone - it's a damn good story and has incredible cinematography. A fresh new perspective in an otherwise mundane and overdone movie genre. I saw that the sequel's script was already being drafted and I am anxiously awaiting the first previews.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM

lineskier is a Private
Send a message via AIM to lineskier
I really did not like the movie at all. I get dizzy pretty easy and cause of the camera i was dizzy the whole movie. The part with the flashing light in the hotel was horrible! I think I almost threw up. aside from the camcorder recording it was realistic but just didn't like the ending.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 PM

gmaximus is a Private
Yeah I'd agree the frantic camera motion was a little nauseating. I got used to it after a while.

I think the lack of information about the 'bigger picture' really makes sense in this context. Think of what people in New York were going through in the 9-11 attack - commotion and panic everywhere, and only some rough information coming from the news. Something like this would be far worse in that regard.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Miku is a Private First Class
I completely agree with Scorpion, it was an awesome movie.

Previous to sitting down in the theater seat, I had not slept for roughly 40 hours, and I thought I would fall asleep during the movie. Let me say this, as soon as the **** hit the fan, I wasn't falling asleep. Another thing I loved about it was that, it's one of those movies, where after seeing it, and your on your way home at 0300, you have a sort of creepy feeling that somethings going to happen. Then you know, on the way home, the driver goes OH *** and jerks the car over and there is a large black object in the middle of the highway, kind of makes your heart jump...

Anyway though, I highly recommend seeing this. It's also worth buying once it comes out on DVD.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM

FerretFace is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrazy View Post
But I hated the way they ended it as well as how open it left the ending. I was extremely angry that the movie was short because I think they could have put alot more into it. But this also means I will have to attend the sequel.
SPOILERS

The movie was through the camera's point of view. The people didn't know what happened after, or before, they all died (supposedly, I think Rob lived somehow because he was able to say "it's still alive"). It wouldn't have been right if they went to traditional camera work (third person). That's what makes it such a good movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post
Anyway though, I highly recommend seeing this. It's also worth buying once it comes out on DVD.
I disagree. It's one of those movies you have to see in the theater or on a huge screen with a huge amount of bass. Otherwise it loses the intensity.

Last edited by FerretFace; 01-20-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: