Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Main > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
The Official Airsoft Ohio "Stupid"/General Question Thread

This thread is for ANY and ALL questions related to airsoft. No matter how simple, out there, generalized, opinion based, or stupid - ask it here, with zero repercussions.

This is an open topic with any potential subject. Any and all airsoft related questions are welcome, even those that would violate the rules (such as opinion posts - "what is the best gun", etc). Don't let the title dissuade you - you are not stupid if you ask a question here It's simply a thread title I borrowed from another website.

Anyone can ask, anyone can answer.

We understand that everyone is new, and sometimes you really need a question answered that you just can't seem to find the answer for (do try google and the search function here first!), even if it's been answered a thousand times, or really doesn't have a correct answer. So post up and ask.

As always, NO FLAMING! NO TROLLING!

Ask away!

-Red

Last edited by Red; 12-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 AM

Potato is a Private
In 110% seriousness I am tired of all my AEGs giving me problems here and there. I understand AEGs tend to be extremely sensitive, finicky, and moody pieces of ultra-complex machinery. I have Echo 1, G&G, CYMA, KWA, VFC, Classic Army, Umarex, and several other brands of AEGs of various replica models and I've run into pretty serious issues with ALL of them at some point or another despite my unending and meticulous care for each and every one of them. I shim, clean, lube, reinforce, etc etc etc all them yet they all fail me when I need them the most. The rifle I've had the absolute least problems with is my KWA SR12 which runs 99.9% perfectly except for its surprisingly awful accuracy and largely ****ty range even with R-hop mod and 6.03 TBB. Oh and its sticky semi-auto trigger..... It really REALLY pisses me off that even when I care for and invest massive amounts of money into what is supposed to be a top-of-the-line gun it STILL gives me issues. So what I'm basically asking is for the M4 platform, other than Systema, Polar Star, or any other crazy proprietary guns, what would be the ABSOLUTE most reliable, best performing, best trigger response, best accuracy rifle out there? I hear G&P and Tokyo Marui make some of the best **** and thus I am really looking towards selling off all my **** and investing in some of that good stuff. Is this a good idea/decision?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 AM

sticks is a Private
Tokyo Marui, dont touch the internals.

No BS there are some people that legit just break **** and have terrible luck. You are probably one of those people.

sticks
Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post
In 110% seriousness I am tired of all my AEGs giving me problems here and there. I understand AEGs tend to be extremely sensitive, finicky, and moody pieces of ultra-complex machinery. I have Echo 1, G&G, CYMA, KWA, VFC, Classic Army, Umarex, and several other brands of AEGs of various replica models and I've run into pretty serious issues with ALL of them at some point or another despite my unending and meticulous care for each and every one of them. I shim, clean, lube, reinforce, etc etc etc all them yet they all fail me when I need them the most. The rifle I've had the absolute least problems with is my KWA SR12 which runs 99.9% perfectly except for its surprisingly awful accuracy and largely ****ty range even with R-hop mod and 6.03 TBB. Oh and its sticky semi-auto trigger..... It really REALLY pisses me off that even when I care for and invest massive amounts of money into what is supposed to be a top-of-the-line gun it STILL gives me issues. So what I'm basically asking is for the M4 platform, other than Systema, Polar Star, or any other crazy proprietary guns, what would be the ABSOLUTE most reliable, best performing, best trigger response, best accuracy rifle out there? I hear G&P and Tokyo Marui make some of the best **** and thus I am really looking towards selling off all my **** and investing in some of that good stuff. Is this a good idea/decision?
Great first question. In short, yes. Fantastic idea.

Long response:

In this players opinion, Tokyo Marui makes the most reliable stock gun in all of airsoft, period. They are not cheap, they are plasticy, but they were made to be reliable. Just don't mess with them and they'll reward you for a long, long life. This is why I've owned 6-7 of them, and I will always fall back to them as my personal standard. None of them broke, all of them have new owners and are continuing on the airsoft field.

Keep in mind, you won't be throwing an 11.1v on them (7.4v or 9.6v MAX), you won't get high FPS - cutting through brush is a pair, and travel time with your BB increases (it does matter, surprisingly).

This is just my opinion, so keep in mind, it's not fact.

(P.S. good first post in this thread, this is how it should work).

Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 AM

Arcane is a Private
I'd say G&P. I've got a G&P as a backup to my P*, and I love it. You'll get better performance, and if you don't mess with it, pretty solid reliability.

oderint dum metuant
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 AM

A Man Named Lurch is a Private
I got one!

Who has purchased a magwell converter kit for their weapon and found that it feed inconsistently? Doesn't matter what model or make of either, If you've had issues then please chime in. Any tips or tricks to improve feeding?

Personally I've owned an M4 converter for my p90 for many years and it has worked great, but recently I bought a magwell converter for my AK to take M4 mags and the reliability has not been very high. The mags I'm using are brand new Ares 140rd mids.

Now offering: Noob-Tube
"Nepoleon BlownApart"
ver.3.6
Base 2013 Models starting at $179.99!!
Options include Molle hook! 20mm Rails! Folding Grip!
Same great product in a smaller more portable size!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
If it's a battleaxe converter, those things are horrible. Their QC for me has been bad from day 1. I bought one for a G36 and it didn't even fit the gun.

Either way, It's the mags, converter, or hopup...
Sometimes the nozzle doesn't retract all the way back and doesn't let a BB feed too.
To be honest, it could be a slew of things.

I'd change the converter back first, then go from there. If the gun feeds consistently without, then the converter obviously changed something, but it can't be too hard of a fix if the consistency was good before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 AM

BigRed2014 has been Court Martialled
Alrighty, I know someone out here has done this. I recently R-Hopped my G36, and the range is improved, but every 6th or 7th shot is a flier to the right. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't know how better to describe it, but if more details can help I will do my best to provide them.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 AM

79stang is a Private
Potato, get a JG and don't touch it.

Most guns break becausevwe upgrade them.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM

bnagley is a Private
Send a message via AIM to bnagley
Can this be the only thread that new members can post in for the first 30 days or so?

Lake Erie Airsoft Division Squad Leader
Does this make me awesome
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Jonezy is a Private
BigRed, you likely didn't round the leading and trailing edges of the patch properly. You either have to do this or leave a very small gap at the front.

Also, I trust myself far more than I trust the sweatshop and near-sweatshop workers that assemble most of our AEGs overseas. Gearboxes do not become automagically tainted once you open them up as long as you know what you're doing and choose your parts wisely. Granted, higher-end AEGs are built better and generally require less TLC, but very few are "perfect" out of the box.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Winter is a Private
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting trigger and trigger spring back in properly? It's such a pain.
Quote:
(21:09:09) Agent_Spencer: If I had a dollar for every time I saw Duo chloroform a gal at a bar, I'd have half as many dollars as I would if I had one for every time I saw CTU punch a woman and drag her off.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM

79stang is a Private
Winter, bend the spring latterly so that it doesn't want to pop out. I also glued my trigger spring to the trigger. It seems to work well.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM

BigRed2014 has been Court Martialled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting trigger and trigger spring back in properly? It's such a pain.
You never ended up getting it back in? blame Kellis lol anyways, like I said, you just have to push and pull and move it all about until you get it. It is no work of art. I spent 3 hours at 321 trying to get it reassembled once, and never even got the trigger back together

Last edited by BigRed2014; 10-12-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: so that you pervs don't take this sexually
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Jonezy is a Private
If it gives me that much trouble, I install it as I normally would but I leave the end of the spring that doesn't pass through the hole in the trigger pointing out of the gearbox in such a way that the trigger can move freely without the spring pressing on it. Then, after I get about 2 screws in the rear of the gearbox, I gently pry the shell apart a bit near the trigger and place the spring where it needs to be. Small needle-nose pliers are used to do this.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Soothsayer is a Private
I put an H-nub in my hopup the other day without swapping out the stock bucking for a new one. Can I expect to see an improvement from simply the nub alone?

(09:54:52) sticks: i am the straight booty warrior

(14:36:21) Agent_Spencer: I mean I was helping old ladies cross the street by punching them.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Desert-Fox is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Honestly, I've found that just using a pick to push it down in does wonders. If you don't already, buy a set of picks, theyre awesome for working on gearboxes.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
I put an H-nub in my hopup the other day without swapping out the stock bucking for a new one. Can I expect to see an improvement from simply the nub alone?
Depending on the bucking you have, you should see some sort of improvement, if any. I custom made a hard plastic nub and super'd it to the arm. I get 30-40' easily more distance, and a more consistent hop, too.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM

CRASH_TF330 GUNSLINGERS is a Private
G&P is the best company I've personally dealt with. I have Echo-1's, JG's, Kwa's, Cyma, blah blah blah. I've never had any issues with any of my AEG's other than PM. I don't really upgrade internally. When shopping for an AEG, I try to find one that defines me as an airsofter....JK. If you buy one that has everything you are looking for, proformance wise; then you won't have to mess with it. I also suspect newer players start tinkering with stuff they don't know much about and next thing you know - goat phuc. That's how we learn though. This thread was an absolutely great idea. Our community needs this, it eliminates the need to put people on blast because they don't know as much as people who have been doing this for years. Furthermore it makes specific subject matter more approachable. Threads like this can be helpful if people don't abuse it, and learn from what's being said. The only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked....Stay classy.

TF 330 GUNSLINGERS
TEAM LEADER
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Potato is a Private
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. The big issue isn't that I tinker with them and **** them up, I purposely don't mess with them, open, them etc until I actually absolutely have to. In short, I've never opened or fiddled with the internals of a gun unless the gun fails on me. And almost all of them have failed on me at some point forcing me to take action to fix or tune them in some way (getting into the internals). I'm glad to hear that the information I have gained about TM and G&P guns' superiority is true and will definitely be looking into obtaining some of those. I am more than willing to fork the cost for quality and I am not the kind of player who is all picky about high FPS, souping everything up inside, or meddling with the internals at all. I really really like out-of-the-box perfection. And I treat all guns with top-notch care. I do have one TM MP5 SD but the original owner obviously put it though hell and it may be on its last legs of life. The other thing is that I'm really not a new player.... I've been this **** for about 7 years running (only one year prior to those 7 with ****ty walmart guns before enlightenment) and know generally what to and what not to do. I never upgrade unecessarily, I only replace broken parts with slightly stronger parts when they break. No FPS upgrades, fancy gear ratio ****, high speed motors, and absolutely nothing above a 9.6V battery. I usually only use 7.4V lipos as I feel that is the most balanced power source. Once again, thanks for all the great advice, I will take action with it! Any other tips anyone has for me, please keep them coming. I am always open to learn the right way. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM

desert ace is a Private
Out of all the different brands i have used i love my ares m4 i have problems with it but tgat was unecesarry tinkering on it. It came pretty good stock except the acuracy and rang was horrible but a tight bore barrel fixed that and i hace yet to shoot a nother gun with better trigger response
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 AM

79stang is a Private
Ace, put a mosfet in any gun that uses TM contacts and it will perform the same.

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Coming from a "KWA Fanboy", I'll tell you that there are very few guns I've had that rival out-of-the-box performance of the company. Even PTWs need lots of work done to get them to Mission-Spec.

On a closely unbiased list, I'll rate the the out of the box performance on the M4 platform as follows...

G&P
KWA
SYSTEMA
G&G
ICS
CYMA
VFC
ARES
(Other brands, such as DBOYS)

I have owned a few, and known others that have owned other brands.

Potato, I don't think there are many guns out of the box that come perfect, but that's as unbiased as I can get.

Now...durability-wise, that's a whole 'nother story.
Quote:

Last edited by Flenner; 10-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Weezer is a Private
My stupid question is does anyone know when WE will be putting out the "Katana" and if the Gear box and cylinders will be availible? Thanks Weezer
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM

CRASH_TF330 GUNSLINGERS is a Private
Potato, I'm glad to help you anyway I can. That goes for everyone. We all have to start somewhere right? I was just stating an observation about my own experience with beginners, as it applies to AEG trouble shooting. I wasn't implying you yourself are a beginner, even if you were so what, I'm not that guy. If you do decide to upgrade, I believe the G&P line is quite good. I bought the FDE full metal MOE back in May. As stated previously, I own a veritable plethora of brands. As an example, I'll give you a comparison- I have a JG S-system, it's been a great, reliable gun for me personally. I've never had a problem with it. I've had it for five-plus years, put thousands of rounds through it, and it still runs like a champ. It's a solid go-to gun. Running my MOE compared to that, is like driving a Pinto, then driving a Hemi. I've been airsofting not much longer than you, I'm sure you can remember all the JG haters, some of which still lurk these forums. I've learned it's all about what works best for you, and what you can comfortably spend. I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor.

TF 330 GUNSLINGERS
TEAM LEADER

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: