Airsoft Ohio Forums  
  #26  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Blade's Avatar
Blade Blade is offline
Baron VonYolo
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Monroe, OH
Posts: 5,943
Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
iTrader: (3)
I must agree with hcso3716 here. Kong, please show some respect, newbie or not, we MUST respect each others. Answering stupid answers to stupid questions is not the way to go (I use this example for comparison only).

Otherwise, I can only add one thing: Who ever found www.airsoftohio.com most likely found it through a "search" request on their browser or through a friend. No matter which one, if anyone coming here is literate enough to figure out how a website function (what is a gallery, what is a link button, etc), they can easily find out the "search" button must be useful at something...If you do not feel like at least trying to find your answer through the available information, you MUST expect other members to reply to you in a very bad way.

On a side note though, I heard stories about how people use 911 these days. People are calling asking what the weather will be or when they hear sirens. If the new airsoft generation is coming from such people, we are definitely in deep trouble....
__________________
No balls, no glory.



Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ------
Posts: 808
Blog Entries: 5
Sparky is a Private
iTrader: (9)
I will glady admit that I'm still a noob on the forums. I am however, a veteran regarding spelling and puncuation. I have to admit, for the month or two I've been a member here I have seen enough mispronounciation and error in spelling to make me sick! I don't know if people think it's cool to talk and type in slang and abbreviations and what-not... I do know however, that it does not help to improve your standing with the community here. As stated before, if people would just take the time to read over what they've typed it would raise the maturity of the whole community tenfold.
__________________
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home....Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart."
-Tecumseh


Team Phoenix Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixAirsoftOhio/videos
Team Phoenix:
https://www.facebook.com/teamphoenixairsoft
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
slaughter's Avatar
slaughter slaughter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canton
Posts: 219
slaughter is a Private
Send a message via AIM to slaughter
iTrader: (5)
since when does the way i spell and use punctuation matter if im a noob or not?
isn't it being new to airsoft?
but still i just got royally pwned by mavrick.
so i think im done arguing here.
at least with him. cause he has good points.
but just be nice to noobs.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Pro Communitus
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 6
Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
iTrader: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I've created this thread to voice my opinion about the "Current" Airsoft Ohio.
As I'm writing this, please note that i am in no way trying to intentionally lash out on the Airsoft Ohio Staff.

Recently there has been a rash of new members asking for advice on topics without any attempt of searching. New guns, low priced guns, equipment... "What should i get" Ect ect.

I understand that Airsoft Ohio is paid for by someone else and that "beggars cant be choosers". However, can something be done about it?

Is there any way that a new user can be forced to use the search option? I've been members of other forums where thread creation is not allowed until you've reached a posting requirement. I've also seen that for "X" amount of posts you are prompted with a search box instructing you to search topics prior to creating a thread. Perhaps modifying the original post with instructions for a user to search for their information and then locking the thread?

I understand being friendly and curteous to our newer members and welcoming them warmly...but what if it starts to drive away other members? I have found myself thinking lately..."i wonder if theres a way to get myself completely blocked so even if i get the urge to look that i will not be able to"

If i am the only one thinking this way i apologize and will not bring it up again.

If there is any way that i can help please do not hesitate to ask.

Marshall

This is why I'm kind of disinterested in posting any longer.

I lurk these forums every day - it is my home page, but I don't seem to care to post anymore. If I do, my trigger finger is itching - I just want to splat some idiot for saying something stupid. So instead of posting BS, I don't post at all. Doesn't exactly help the situation, but it just frustrates the hell out of me to see these noobs act like...IDIOTS. This isn't being new, this is acting idiotic.

And unfortunately, with this hobby, it is a constant. We will have noobs posting bad information, asking stupid questions, and just over all posting worthless information every day.

I suppose I can help with combating the bad information by posting useful information...but I just don't have anything to say about clones or what the best gun is (Lol P90). I guess I'm one of the people being driven away because of the stupidity of some of the newer people. It has been that way for a while now.

I can’t answer the same Echo 1 BS every day. Hell, I don’t even have any experience with Echo 1’s, besides holding them and firing them at Airsoft Arms. So I suppose the day the noobs start asking about TM again, I’ll throw in my thoughts again. Or the P90…Or P90 gear..or…yeah. P90.

I’ll suppose I can provide a couple more threads (hopefully) worthy of a sticky, but that still wouldn’t help the problems we have on AO. Noobs literally have to be forcefully raped by the rules and correct suggestions for them to get it sometimes.

Is there anyway to re-direct people to the rules section of the site once they activate their account? Have them click an “I have read all of these rules, and I’m NOT AN IDIOT” button to proceed onto the main forum page of the site, or something.

Also, if it is possible, I’m sure the staff could limit privileges to certain people in the “Ask a Veteran” forum just by discretion alone, and not by post count or any other arbitrary number. It may be upsetting to some members: the members who think they can handle the responsibility of being a veteran (A veteran poster, at least…), but those are probably the members who shouldn’t be posting there anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I am not a mean person. If you've met me you'd know that. i'm a social and friendly guy.

Since when?

Love you, Mav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcso3716 View Post
That may be but I feel Mr. Kong is a little out of line. I started out trying to stay on track, but I got a little side railed with some of the other comments.

My bad, apologies to all!

Good idea - quit while you’re behind, and not banned. Coming in here to this thread and making a mockery of it wasn’t the best idea, especially when it’s a serious conversation. Hopefully you’ve learned that veteran posters will look down on that. Not trying to pile it on, but…Dude, decide whether or not it’s a good idea to try to be funny - really look into it before you post. Sometimes its just not appropriate. If you’ve learned that about AO now, awesome.

BTW, Kong is a frisky little Asian. He only dates really smart princes (He’s Asian, after all…). Let him scare you, because you should be afraid. He is often right.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
Ban Hammer (Retired)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,273
Blog Entries: 5
Loki is a SpecialistLoki is a SpecialistLoki is a Specialist
iTrader: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicUnicorn2 View Post
I thought A.O. was forming a section for a Knowledge Base. What ever happened to that?
It wasn't so much AO doing it, it was me. I ran into several problems:
1. Nobody used the knowledge that was already in there.
2. I ran out of time. Girlfriend, school, work.
3. I know absolutely nothing about most of the guns people are asking questions about. I know a hell of a lot about Marui, CA, ICS, and Systema products, and a little about Echo1. Most of the stuff being asked about is stuff I know nothing about. How could I possibly decide what is "good" or "bad" information about a gun I've never played with. How can I make a decision about who knows their stuff and who doesn't?

and as for the lack of Policing:

About a year ago now, I (we, the moderators) had massive issues arise from a relatively small group of people. A lot (most) of the forums also had issues with this group of people. I tried to play the middle man and deal with the issues with what I thought was fairness. Apparently however, it wasn't fair to the parties that were causing issues, and it ended up culminating in me being called a Nazi (literally, I'm not exaggerating.) I pretty much stopped policing the forums, with the possible exception of the classifieds, which I intermittently ride people's asses about. It's hard to do a job that doesn't pay, when your character is constantly brought into question but the very people you're trying to help. I am not the only moderator to fall prey to this either. Most of the mod staff that was around at that time has quit, or simply gone MIA. I've simply instituted the polices that small group wanted put into play, so if you'd like to thank them for the current state of affairs, by all means look it up. I'm no longer angry about it, but the drive I once held to uphold the integrity of these forums has long since passed.

I'm sure many will wonder why we haven't simply looked for new moderators, which might be a question just a bit too obvious.

I generally picked the moderators based on the individual personal (IE field) experience I had with each person. If I thought them of good character and mind, I'd ask them if they wanted to be a moderator, and if they accepted, they were promoted to the slot. I've not attended a game for quite a while, and so, it's been hard for me to decide who is or isn't "right" for the job. One does not just hand mass amounts of power over to one we hardly know.

Post count doesn't necessarily indicate anything other than you know how to spam the **** out of the forums. Take me for example, I've been registered over 5 years, and have a post count of only 901. Half the people present in this thread have been registered less than 2 years (or less) and have a post count that is nearly half mine (if not more).

So the next issue raised in the thread is this:
How do we deal with "crap" threads? This question gives rise to other, more important questions:

1. How do we decide what constitutes a "crap" thread?
Personally, I loathe threads that contain no text, but merely a "funny" image with what the poster considers a "witty" comment in them. The crap typically found on 4chan. They were mildly amusing the first 20,000,000,000,000 times I saw them, but I've started viewing the people that use them as lazy and stupid. Seriously, originality is cool too. If I had my way, I would strike every one of these posts from the forums.

Of course, if I did that, some asshat would call me a "nazi" or "uptight", etc etc etc.

I've started viewing these forums as sort of an angry bee hive constantly fighting a civil war. Moderators must stick their hands into said angry bee hive to remove problem bees, but often get stung by other bees in the process. Sound like fun? Didn't think so.

The real problem with these forums lies in the willingness of anyone and everyone to ***** about anything they don't like, while offering absolutely no viable suggestions on how to fix the problems. It's much easier to ***** at the forum staff than it is to try and actually help educate people. The Police can't fix all of your problems, and they can't be everywhere all at once. You have to stand up and help defend yourself and this forums integrity. If we as a forum are unwilling to do this, then we do not deserve to exist.

**EDIT** More of the problems that are present for moderators these days:
1. I get about 15 PMs a week from people who can't activate their goddamned accounts because their spam blocker blocked the activation email that the forums send out. I know for a fact that this works, because I created a duplicate account to test it. I only log in about every 3 days now, so I send them a message back that their account is already activated, and they reply that somebody else activated it already. This of course means that rather than being patient and just waiting for a reply, they messaged every frackin' forum moderator trying to get access to the forums. In my opinion, this does not speak well of their future forum endeavors.
2. There has been a rash of "Senior" members using the "report" feature (which is the forums equivalent to 911) to report relatively petty, stupid crap. Cry wolf enough and eventually your backup will never arrive.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Radixz's Avatar
Radixz Radixz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 92
Radixz is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Radixz
iTrader: (1)
Well, i am less than eager to step in with the big dogs here, but i feel this must be said.

This is a post from me, a noob, albeit a mature one i hope. I just wanted to tell you that i feel for all you veterans who have to put up with noobs like me posting crap that is worthless and stupid. I for one, have tried to keep my crap posts as minimal as i can so that I don't frustrate you guys to the point of leaving; because that would be a sore loss for all of us.

And for the noobs that do answer back to you and disrespect you, don't take it personally. Us noobs are mostly younger people, and are a generation who don't like being talked back to or told we are wrong. That's just how we seem to be. But when we say something disrespectful to you, it is not because we are trying to beat you down. Trust me, even if we are flaming back and forth, in every noobs heart there is a little voice saying, "I want to be just like that guy!"

So on behalf of noobs everywhere (or maybe it's just me)....

WE SALUTE YOU!
__________________
Quote:
IM a WHORE?!?! Excuse me, I'm not the one that left in the middle of the night, leaving me unpleasured and then returning with glitter on your face.. What did you do? Go F^^k some Pixie again? I say NAY! You are the whore!
-Shadersnake



Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ------
Posts: 808
Blog Entries: 5
Sparky is a Private
iTrader: (9)
Didn't you make an actual thread that included your above comment as the whole thread?
__________________
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home....Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart."
-Tecumseh


Team Phoenix Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixAirsoftOhio/videos
Team Phoenix:
https://www.facebook.com/teamphoenixairsoft
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 1,553
Blog Entries: 1
Phil is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Phil
iTrader: (26)
How about this. We make a veteran's hall, where all the good information can be stored, everything useful/pertinent/knowledgeable and actually funny can go in the threads there. Only veterans can post in this, and I know someone will ask "how do we know if person X is a vet or not?" Easy, democracy. In the beginning only moderators can be in it. Then any member who meets a set prerequisite (post count/membership length) can apply through a moderator to be accepted into this section, then the moderators can post a thread in the veteran's section to see if the vets will accept him as one of their own, by having an intelligent, respectful debate, and in the end, that person is either accepted or denied acceptance. Of course, one could re-apply after a set time of like 6 months or so. Additionally, members may be selected to be promoted into the vet section by moderators if they can prove themselves to be useful and knowledegable before they have met the prerequisite. Along with the democracy mentioned above, members can be removed in a similar fashion, but this time, only through the discretion of the moderators' votes. This section would be "read only" to all non-members of the section (noobs) so that they can maybe have something to aspire to.

Now as elitist as this sounds, aren't we all just a little elitist on the inside anyway? Any Vet will likely say a TM is better than an Echo, And will likely assume the same about the members wielding them, and I have met a few players who use Echos and are just as knowledgeable as others about gear or what have you, but sadly, that case is rare.

In short. Institute elitism, It'll give the kids something to look up to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post
Airsoft is awesome...if I could eat it I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texx View Post
Phil is damned perfect. And beautiful. In that manly beautiful sort of way. Count yourself lucky he cared enough to share his wisdom....his beautiful, beautiful wisdom...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
Ban Hammer (Retired)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,273
Blog Entries: 5
Loki is a SpecialistLoki is a SpecialistLoki is a Specialist
iTrader: (21)
Forum announcements have been posted. New rules are forthcoming.

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/an...ment.php?f=182
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Radixz's Avatar
Radixz Radixz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 92
Radixz is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Radixz
iTrader: (1)
Yes I did Shadersnake, but I thought this post might be better suited in here. The only thing is, and I know this makes me look bad, is I can't figure out how to delete the original post.
__________________
Quote:
IM a WHORE?!?! Excuse me, I'm not the one that left in the middle of the night, leaving me unpleasured and then returning with glitter on your face.. What did you do? Go F^^k some Pixie again? I say NAY! You are the whore!
-Shadersnake




Last edited by Radixz; 11-14-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 AM
colossus's Avatar
colossus colossus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 181
colossus is a Private
Send a message via AIM to colossus
iTrader: (1)
Radixz, You have Already Posted a thread saying this. It's good you are trying to show respect BUT Better ways of doing so(like) Not posting useless things would be better . I also agree with what most of you are saying and I can say that I dont post much manly do to crap threads I would love to help out newer members with what stuff I do know but I find it Very hard to when most threads i Can't read what is posted or it has nothing to do with Airsoft. Is there anyway to High light the Search and spell check function Making it more easy to see? Maybe that will help newer members Not post useless stuff?
__________________
"only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe"

-Albert Einstein

WARNING! Sarcasm in use.

Last edited by colossus; 11-14-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 1,553
Blog Entries: 1
Phil is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Phil
iTrader: (26)
**** YES! Loki, this has indeed been a long time coming, and I am happy as a retarded kid at Christmas.

Excuse my "yes man" post. I feel it is necessary
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Head View Post
Airsoft is awesome...if I could eat it I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texx View Post
Phil is damned perfect. And beautiful. In that manly beautiful sort of way. Count yourself lucky he cared enough to share his wisdom....his beautiful, beautiful wisdom...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Locutus's Avatar
Locutus Locutus is offline
Airsoft Ohio Founder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Williamsburg, OH
Posts: 4,091
Blog Entries: 1
Locutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Locutus
iTrader: (1)
It is like deja vu all over again... time for a little AO history lesson.

When I first created this site, and it started to become a little popular, I, and those who I chose to be moderators, had very strict rules about what things were allowed to be posted here.

Eventually, I could no longer take the personal attacks, the harassing emails (people signing me up on all kinds of nefarious and disgusting email lists), the "splinter factions" that would break off and insult me or try and get me to leave because they felt their honor had been violated. While the vast majority of the members were please with how the site was run, it only takes a small group to cause a lot trouble.

At that point, in about 03, I gave the site to another member and took about a 1 year hiatus. During this time, most of the other mods went MIA as well (people can only take so much), and most of the rules were no longer enforced, and things were very lax. The vets were frustrated and leaving, and the trouble makers were taking over. Eventually, this all ended with a disgruntled member paying a Russian to hack the site (and yes, I know who it was). Since no one was around to make backups, everything was lost, many years of valuable information. I was asked to comeback and rebuild the site, which I did... over the next year, the site was hacked a few more times. One of the "splinter groups" even accused me of faking the hack because I wanted to get rid of particular dicussion about safety rules.

This time around, the rules were reinstated, and things started to shape up again with the help of many newly appointed mods. I stayed out of most policy discussions or rules enforcement, I had, and still have, little desire to get heavily involved in that aspect again. Even so, I was still accused of many things.

Eventually, another "splinter group", who thought all the mods were "nazis", decided to once again cause trouble, so eventually those who were enforcing the rules got tired of being called nazis and stopped enforcing the rules.

So here we are again. You got what you asked for. Enjoy it!

Last edited by Locutus; 11-14-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
airsoft31's Avatar
airsoft31 airsoft31 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 330
airsoft31 is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to airsoft31
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicUnicorn2 View Post
I thought A.O. was forming a section for a Knowledge Base. What ever happened to that?
if that did hapen that would help.
but maby we need like a big red arrow pointing to it lol
__________________
http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=828531

please go here and make a profile, you get free games i have already goten a free month of live!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 963
Blog Entries: 3
Mavrick is a SpecialistMavrick is a SpecialistMavrick is a Specialist
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The real problem with these forums lies in the willingness of anyone and everyone to ***** about anything they don't like, while offering absolutely no viable suggestions on how to fix the problems. It's much easier to ***** at the forum staff than it is to try and actually help educate people. The Police can't fix all of your problems, and they can't be everywhere all at once. You have to stand up and help defend yourself and this forums integrity. If we as a forum are unwilling to do this, then we do not deserve to exist.
It was never my intention to "*****" about a problem that i havent tried to fix myself. I tell people to search and read threads all the time. What happens? I get PM's about being a jerk, i'm called an *******. Finally when i had enough of watching idiots post about topics that if they just shifted their scroll bar down just a tad...they'd find an identical thread. Or guys who say they cant afford anything but want AO to give them advice on their new gun rather than paying their bills. Thats obsurd!

So i created this thread before i received an infraction or banned for pissing off new members for not spoon feeding them. As i stated, i'm more than willing to help spread the message on proper forum edicate. However, if you feel i need to educate people more then i will. I just hope that it doesnt hurt my reputation on the field.

Last edited by Mavrick; 11-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Shadok Shadok is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Warren
Posts: 22
Shadok is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Shadok Send a message via MSN to Shadok
iTrader: (0)
I disagree. I think that staff should actually do their jobs. I have run a forum for 7 years and we never had a problem with clutter because I selected people for my staff that would do things the way I needed them done.

Think about this, what if instead of cracking down on new posts asking old questions, you delete old posts, because with new people come new perceptions and new ways to answer the questions especially with the new tech that is becoming of a new sport. The same question might have a slightly different twist, the old threads might be locked.

So in short here is my theory as a good webmaster on what should be done.

-Delete old posts when the time has come

-Make people post QUALITY posts, that are ON TOPIC

-Crack down on "jackin threads"

I am going to get flamed like insane, One because im a noob, and Two because what im saying is change...Humans do not like change. But I do not care I am tired of the way people are trying to push dumb rules.

-AIRSOFT IS ABOUT FUN AND LEARNING-

Shad

PS: I am only saying this for other people's right's. I usually mind my own bussiness and after this post I will. Im tired of the constant flaming of new people. Im here because I love airsoft, and you guys have lost your purpose I think. Helping each other is what a forum is created for, if your here for another reason there is the big red X in the top right hand corner.

And if this site isnt for that, then you wont be seeing me around here much.

If you want to flame me...Dont clutter the forums, PM me. If you have a VALID and LITERATE point to contribute then post. THAT is what should be enforced

Last edited by Shadok; 11-14-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Blade's Avatar
Blade Blade is offline
Baron VonYolo
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Monroe, OH
Posts: 5,943
Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
iTrader: (3)
Actually, the knowledge base is still the best way to keep everything organized. Although, it would force the usage of one or 2 moderators which in fact, would be used more like "librarians" than anything else. Technically speaking, I would create a new forum group that I could call "knowledge base" and simply create every possible topics coming along. For example, someone posting about BB data would get the thread moved into the KB and no one could post in it. Any off topic posts or comments attached to that topic prior to be introduced into the KB would be removed from the post. To follow this example, the BB topic we just posted yesterday. I posted 2 link leading to 2 independent studies about BB. The librarian could now just take the whole topic, remove the questions, personal comments and stuff and simply keep the "link" post and modify the topic to reflect the purpose of it. those wanting to comment about the "polished" topic could then use regular forums to discuss and bring new data...which would then be controlled by the librarian and either be discarded or included in the "read only" KB topics....
After a while, we should be able to see some generality or pattern in the KB and hopefully, would be very easy for newbie to use. For example, my BB topic could become something like:

Knowledge Base
....... Accessories
..............BB
.................. BB Analysis
.................. BB Sizes
.................. BB Colors
..............Batteries
..............Scopes
....... Weapons
..............AEG
.................. Tokyo Marui
..............GBB
etc...

Actually, it kinda look like a retailer catalog...but only with DATA
Obviously, prices or what is best retailer is not the kind of thing you could get in the KB because it fluctuates so much but I think you are getting the point here.
__________________
No balls, no glory.



Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Pro Communitus
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 6
Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
iTrader: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadok View Post
I disagree. I think that staff should actually do their jobs. I have run a forum for 7 years and we never had a problem with clutter because I selected people for my staff that would do things the way I needed them done.

Think about this, what if instead of cracking down on new posts asking old questions, you delete old posts, because with new people come new perceptions and new ways to answer the questions especially with the new tech that is becoming of a new sport. The same question might have a slightly different twist, the old threads might be locked.

So in short here is my theory as a good webmaster on what should be done.

-Delete old posts when the time has come

-Make people post QUALITY posts, that are ON TOPIC

-Crack down on "jackin threads"

I am going to get flamed like insane, One because im a noob, and Two because what im saying is change...Humans do not like change. But I do not care I am tired of the way people are trying to push dumb rules.

-AIRSOFT IS ABOUT FUN AND LEARNING-

Shad

PS: I am only saying this for other people's right's. I usually mind my own bussiness and after this post I will. Im tired of the constant flaming of new people. Im here because I love airsoft, and you guys have lost your purpose I think. Helping each other is what a forum is created for, if your here for another reason there is the big red X in the top right hand corner.

And if this site isnt for that, then you wont be seeing me around here much.

If you want to flame me...Dont clutter the forums, PM me. If you have a VALID and LITERATE point to contribute then post. THAT is what should be enforced

Here are a couple questions for you, then, Shadok.

A) How big is this forum?
B) What is this forum about?
C) What kind of topics does this forum run?
D) Are the members likely to disagree on topics?
E) Do you know a lot of the members in person? This complicates things.

This airsoft site, for whatever reason, seems to be very difficult to run at some points - and you'll notice that. The staff does fine. They might seem short handed occasionally, but they do their jobs and do them fairly well (from what I've seen lately), in my opinion. Especially now.

What you're suggesting, or what I'm getting out of your post, is that the staff needs to be strict about the rules they post, correct? They need to enforce them well enough so that everything goes as planned with them?

That's what AO has always tried to do. The unfortunate part is that no one listens or reads the rules, so its a continuous stream of crap flavored, crap colored, crap covered peanuts in a delicious chocolatey shell. So instead of banning every single little noob, I think the mods may have tried to instill some hope into them. Hope, that one day, they'd learn. Until finally they got banninated because their time ran out. We simply just don't get enough worth-while members.

And, Shadok, you're awfully brash. You're right, you'll most likely get flamed (PM or otherwise), simply because you don't know what kind of monster AO is. Just suggest things instead of saying you're somewhat of a know it all on forums (Did you read the suggestions about being humble? It's...a good thing to follow).

You're again, awfully brash to say we don't have fun, and we don't try to learn. The issue here is that people aren't learning. We continually get the same information over and over, and no one puts in any effort to learn. We continually just spoon feed people. Retaining information isn't learning. The journey of how you became aware, is. You learn to spoon feed yourself so others don't have to do it for you. It's somewhat of a life lesson.

I also don't know why we'd fear change, as we seem to be advocating it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadok View Post
Think about this, what if instead of cracking down on new posts asking old questions, you delete old posts, because with new people come new perceptions and new ways to answer the questions especially with the new tech that is becoming of a new sport. The same question might have a slightly different twist, the old threads might be locked.

That doesn't really stop stupid people from asking the same questions over and over, and stupid people answering the same way, over and over. If people were intelligent in the first place and searched around, they'd find the answers they were looking for, and we wouldn't have our problems. You're assuming that people are smart. Which, unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to be on the internet.

If we had a new technology for every new stupid post, this wouldn't be a problem. But that ratio isn't 1:1. We get new technologies maybe a few times a year...we get crappy posts 10 times a day.

Just food for thought on your post, and trying to continue the discussion in a civil manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers_blade View Post
Actually, the knowledge base is still the best way to keep everything organized. Although, it would force the usage of one or 2 moderators which in fact, would be used more like "librarians" than anything else. Technically speaking, I would create a new forum group that I could call "knowledge base" and simply create every possible topics coming along. For example, someone posting about BB data would get the thread moved into the KB and no one could post in it. Any off topic posts or comments attached to that topic prior to be introduced into the KB would be removed from the post. To follow this example, the BB topic we just posted yesterday. I posted 2 link leading to 2 independent studies about BB. The librarian could now just take the whole topic, remove the questions, personal comments and stuff and simply keep the "link" post and modify the topic to reflect the purpose of it. those wanting to comment about the "polished" topic could then use regular forums to discuss and bring new data...which would then be controlled by the librarian and either be discarded or included in the "read only" KB topics....
After a while, we should be able to see some generality or pattern in the KB and hopefully, would be very easy for newbie to use. For example, my BB topic could become something like:

Knowledge Base
....... Accessories
..............BB
.................. BB Analysis
.................. BB Sizes
.................. BB Colors
..............Batteries
..............Scopes
....... Weapons
..............AEG
.................. Tokyo Marui
..............GBB
etc...

Actually, it kinda look like a retailer catalog...but only with DATA
Obviously, prices or what is best retailer is not the kind of thing you could get in the KB because it fluctuates so much but I think you are getting the point here.

Kind of like an Airsoft Wiki, almost. A couple of teammates and I have talked about a couple "what ifs." The main one was what if AO would turn into mainly a Wiki as the bone structure of AO, and the forum as the meat in between them. That'd be interesting but, I like it as mainly a forum a lot.
__________________


Last edited by Red; 11-14-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
D_Man's Avatar
D_Man D_Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 1,027
D_Man is a SpecialistD_Man is a Specialist
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadok View Post
Think about this, what if instead of cracking down on new posts asking old questions, you delete old posts, because with new people come new perceptions and new ways to answer the questions especially with the new tech that is becoming of a new sport. The same question might have a slightly different twist, the old threads might be locked.
So you're saying we should delete all of the old, good information already available just for the sake of bringing the "what gun is best?" type threads back into validity?
__________________
-D_Man
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Locutus's Avatar
Locutus Locutus is offline
Airsoft Ohio Founder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Williamsburg, OH
Posts: 4,091
Blog Entries: 1
Locutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Locutus
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadok View Post
I disagree. I think that staff should actually do their jobs. I have run a forum for 7 years and we never had a problem with clutter because I selected people for my staff that would do things the way I needed them done.
What is this forum you run? Please link me to it, I want to learn from the master admin who has ran a forum for 7 years and NEVER had a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Texx's Avatar
Texx Texx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 4,109
Blog Entries: 2
Texx is a SpecialistTexx is a SpecialistTexx is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Texx Send a message via Yahoo to Texx
iTrader: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadok View Post
I disagree. I think that staff should actually do their jobs. I have run a forum for 7 years and we never had a problem with clutter because I selected people for my staff that would do things the way I needed them done.
You're assuming that problems are caused from staff not doing their jobs.

You've run a forum for 7 years and never had a problem with clutter...

(1) Does your forums have 4000 members with 400 regular posters?

(2) Does your forums serve members from as wide an area and Airsoft Ohio

(3) In seven years of running a forum, you've never had any problems?


OK. What if suddenly, the course of the staff doing its job means deleting YOUR post because it is repetitive - cluttering the boards, and is insulting to people tryng to help you - another violation of the rules for the board. By those two alone, your post is immediately deleted.

Since the staff is doing their job, you'd be ok with that?
__________________
...The universe is a big place. We can't be alone on this tiny blue planet - its own solar system surrounded by billions of solar systems, in a galaxy surrounded by a billion galaxies, infinite combinations of matter and energy with infinite possibilities, and they picked Ben Affleck to play Batman...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Shadok Shadok is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Warren
Posts: 22
Shadok is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Shadok Send a message via MSN to Shadok
iTrader: (0)
A: My forum isnt huge, about 100 members a year, about 20 of them per year stay really active (posting more then 5 times a month)

B: My forum is about the issues of constraint put on humans by society and a mono-mindset

C: Topics that add to the progress of the mind, expansive idea's, and ways to change things.

D: Rarely do we have a post everyone agree's on

E: I try to know as many members personally as possible, it helps things run smoother. I know about 200 members personally to the extent of knowing their basic life,

No what im suggesting is that you dont focus on making new players not ask questions. I was not disagreeing with the search function (If this site is run in PHP I can give you the script you need to enforce this) I think everyone SHOULD search.

BUT it gets crazy when staff gets all LOCK happy.

We need an Archive. I will code one for you if thats what it takes. I will do all the work. But I really like alot of the members here, and I have really gotten a lot of help. But I will not be part of a community that forgets we were all noobs once.

The ONLY problem I have, PERSONALLY, is the fact the staff gets way too lock happy on posts.

And YOU are the kind of person I like, one who will work through problems and listen instead of lock.

PS: People will not like me, its my personality. Im not a people person, but when **** hits the fan I am the one they go to. I accept that. And honestly I dont care what people think of me because the people I want to be friends with dont care about being "BRASH", they care about the sport and the progression of it.

PSS:I have only been a member since Aug. and I swear to god if I see another which gun is best post im going to kick somebodies ***. I think a rule should be..."If somone asks which gun is best, they are to be banned without trial."

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
So you're saying we should delete all of the old, good information already available just for the sake of bringing the "what gun is best?" type threads back into validity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Here are a couple questions for you, then, Shadok.

A) How big is this forum?
B) What is this forum about?
C) What kind of topics does this forum run?
D) Are the members likely to disagree on topics?
E) Do you know a lot of the members in person? This complicates things.

This airsoft site, for whatever reason, seems to be very difficult to run at some points - and you'll notice that. The staff does fine. They might seem short handed occasionally, but they do their jobs and do them fairly well (from what I've seen lately), in my opinion. Especially now.

What you're suggesting, or what I'm getting out of your post, is that the staff needs to be strict about the rules they post, correct? They need to enforce them well enough so that everything goes as planned with them?

That's what AO has always tried to do. The unfortunate part is that no one listens or reads the rules, so its a continuous stream of crap flavored, crap colored, crap covered peanuts in a delicious chocolatey shell. So instead of banning every single little noob, I think the mods may have tried to instill some hope into them. Hope, that one day, they'd learn. Until finally they got banninated because their time ran out. We simply just don't get enough worth-while members.

And, Shadok, you're awfully brash. You're right, you'll most likely get flamed (PM or otherwise), simply because you don't know what kind of monster AO is. Just suggest things instead of saying you're somewhat of a know it all on forums (Did you read the suggestions about being humble? It's...a good thing to follow).

You're again, awfully brash to say we don't have fun, and we don't try to learn. The issue here is that people aren't learning. We continually get the same information over and over, and no one puts in any effort to learn. We continually just spoon feed people. Retaining information isn't learning. The journey of how you became aware, is. You learn to spoon feed yourself so others don't have to do it for you. It's somewhat of a life lesson.

I also don't know why we'd fear change, as we seem to be advocating it right now.




That doesn't really stop stupid people from asking the same questions over and over, and stupid people answering the same way, over and over. If people were intelligent in the first place and searched around, they'd find the answers they were looking for, and we wouldn't have our problems. You're assuming that people are smart. Which, unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to be on the internet.

If we had a new technology for every new stupid post, this wouldn't be a problem. But that ratio isn't 1:1. We get new technologies maybe a few times a year...we get crappy posts 10 times a day.

Just food for thought on your post, and trying to continue the discussion in a civil manner.




Kind of like an Airsoft Wiki, almost. A couple of teammates and I have talked about a couple "what ifs." The main one was what if AO would turn into mainly a Wiki as the bone structure of AO, and the forum as the meat in between them. That'd be interesting but, I like it as mainly a forum a lot.

Last edited by Shadok; 11-14-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Blade's Avatar
Blade Blade is offline
Baron VonYolo
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Monroe, OH
Posts: 5,943
Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
iTrader: (3)
When you join the Marines, the rangers, the NAVY or what ever military groups, you are a newbie. while all instructors and seniors have been newbie before, they also know that discipline, leadership and control is what EVERY new recruit needs. AO is the same way
And I am serious about it. You let slip one? expect more to slip on....
__________________
No balls, no glory.



Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Locutus's Avatar
Locutus Locutus is offline
Airsoft Ohio Founder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Williamsburg, OH
Posts: 4,091
Blog Entries: 1
Locutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a SpecialistLocutus is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Locutus
iTrader: (1)
I'm still waiting for the link.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM
debsairsoft's Avatar
debsairsoft debsairsoft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43
debsairsoft is a Recruit Private
Send a message via ICQ to debsairsoft
iTrader: (0)
In the almost two years I have been a member of this forum, 98% of the time, I have been able to either find an answer to my question through using the search function or google.

As a distributor, I also get asked the same question. " What is the best gun?"

This is why you should buy from your local airsoft store. They can help you decide which gun suits your needs. They can tell you how to maintain your airsoft gun. They can tell you which bb's are best for your gun. Etc.

When I have a customer that is interested in getting into the sport of airsoft, I tell them about Airsoft Ohio. However, I also tell them to use the search button and don't ask a question that has already been asked 100 times. I also tell them before posting a dumb question, to e-mail me instead.

I have to agree with the Veterans of this post. I have seen more silly questions than I have ever seen before. All of us are guilty at some point in the beginning of asking a stupid question. However, with all the airsoft publications that are out, not to mention all the info on the internet, there is not much need for this anymore.

Now, that I plan on attending airsoft events, I am reading a book called Endurance Techniques. To me, it is a never ending learning process. Sadly, due to being sick, I had to miss the last event. However, the few questions I had that I e-mailed to the Vets or sent a PM too were very helpful and made the first event my teamates went to a very fun experience for them.

If you treat them with respect I have found them to be very helpful. So, the point I am making is read, read, read. Then, if you absolutely cannot find an answer to your question, then ask it.

Deb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
False information Loki Off Topic Forums 12 02-07-2008 10:01 AM
AEG Mini-Guide, Prices, Gearbox Information, etc. Loki Newbie FAQ 2 04-21-2007 11:55 PM
ICS M4A1 - Barrel Kit Information Violator Electric Guns (AEG) 5 11-16-2005 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Airsoft Guns, Tactical Gear, Military Gear, Ohio Airsoft Retailer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2005 - 2009 Airsoft Ohio