Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Suggestion; sanctioned and not sanctioned AO events

Question to all: what about posting any and all events in this website but simply have an “AO approved” seal in them ...or not.

Such solution would elevates the issue of liability but also the “why the heck” can’t I host?

Comments/suggestions?

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Bain is a Private
I think any & all games should be posted to the calendar, but still need vetted before being post. Just have a disclaimer on any "non approved" AO event's for the players to see.

At some point players need to make themselves informed when picking what event to go to.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:19 PM
The Blacksmith

Yawger20 is a Private
Liability is a concern for our players at non sanctioned games. This could lead to a bad outlook for the community. All we need is someone calling the cops, or someone getting seriously injured and have it end up in the news.

-----------------------
Last Name: Yawger
Call Sign: Frostbite
Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Baron VonYolo

Problem is, you will not stop any non sanctioned events. I would rather provide all the resources needed to any players or EO and hope people will be smart enough and do the right things than not saying anything and having accidents anyway. At the end of the day, it is the EO and the player's responsibility to make the right decision. All the community can do is make sure the guideline is clear and precise and the community itself can't be targeted for neglect. SO I would say let them post their events and HAVE a clear warning applied to the event details. If EO do not want such warning on their event posting, then they are not allowed to post.

Awesome videos;
Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 PM

Bain is a Private
I think Blade is right. It is everyone's job to become as informed as possible and make the best decision for them. As a community we need to make sure we provide the necessary resources to provide that information. What they do with it is on them.

Furthermore going with adding All/Any games to the calendar, We should look into adding a Reputation/Vouch system for EO's. Thinking along the lines of like a amazon review(1-5 stars) so anyone attending could then after the event rate the event. Just off the top of my head
*Safety
*Event Organization
*Was the event as described?
* EO/Player attitude
*Would you attend again
**Small comment section
So if this was a clickable link on any event posted on the calendar it would show the past 5 events the EO held, Overall rating and current reviews. The more information we can provide players, the better off we are as a community and a hobby/sport.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Baron VonYolo

I am not a big fan of "reviews" as they can quickly become unreal. Like amazon, you never really know if the reviews are truthful.

Awesome videos;
Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 PM

Bain is a Private
Yeah I thought of that when I was writing my reply. But just trying to find some kind of way we can provide information to players for events posted. I know when I first joined I never really knew what events were good or not. Luckily I started with a few veteran players & they gave me a few EO's to look for when events were posted. I'm just trying to come up with an idea to help get information to the players.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
I know when I first joined I never really knew what events were good or not.
Whether an event or EO is 'good or not' is subjective to the players. For example, I'm a big fan of the Nightfall series that OOBI had. Heavy role play and story line. Players who are into the military impression and like a Mil sim would likely rate that series as 'not good', where as I would rate it as 'exceptional'. Word of mouth with the players is the best way to find out if a particular EO or game style is for them. Heck, I've seen games get less than stellar reviews in AAR's simply because the player had a run of bad luck with equipment or a failed strategy, and they blame the game or the EO because they were having a bad day. Reading AAR's (which is something that FB just cannot do justice) about a game is a great way to not only find out about a field, but also about the EO and game style that you might like and helps the EO see where they have room to improve.

As for sanctioned, this forum did a pretty good job until it's big crash that forced folks to FB, keeping things to legit fields or events and not allowing 'backyard games' to be posted. before there was a choice of fields to play at, I remember getting together with a few friends and playing in a place we had permission to use and just going at it. Those types of games have merit I will admit. BUT, and these days it's a must in a sue everyone kind of society, the forum must be able to keep itself neutral and avoid any chance of liability. I really don't see any need to make any drastic changes to this at all. Maybe, have a special account for EO's and Fields to use when they post a game in the calendar? That way, you don't have to put an admin hold on the post until it clears knowing that the account is a confirmed and legit venue.
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:21 PM

PastorCzo is a Private
Reviews can be greatly bias. I agree with Rygar in a let’s sue everyone society it’s better to keep it to legit fields or at least have those with fields get a special account and they get priority on the calendar.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
The one problem I see with everyone hosting is it will clutter the calender, fast. Also, by allowing the game to be posted AO is kinda saying it is OK with that event as a community. It might open us to some legal actions? Maybe not, IDK.

If our sport is to survive, we need to be careful how we are represented. One of the things that separated AO of the past is our ability to say as a community, "you need to play at a place with insurance and where you have permission to play, if you don't agree, you can't use our forum".

We need to continue to do this!

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 AM

Scorch is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
"you need to play at a place with insurance and where you have permission to play, if you don't agree, you can't use our forum".
This is more or less the bare minimum we should have. If it's on the site it is "sanctioned" to some degree by the site no matter what. Perhaps every event listing is required to provide a legal waiver - thus proof of permission to use the property, and proof of insurance - in every event listed here.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Rellim is a Recruit Private
Maybe we have the standard sanctioned events listing(like a usual) and a separate place for a list of games that are openplay/unsanctioned. That way people can feel the freedom to host and have a place to post their events even if they are not a known EO. The heading would maybe say "unsanctioned" or "local open style" or something like that.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Bain is a Private
I don't think any "unsanctioned" events will be allowed for posting on AO webpage or FB. The liability concern is just to to great. I see both sides of the argument. Its always better to side on the error of caution.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Rellim is a Recruit Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
I don't think any "unsanctioned" events will be allowed for posting on AO webpage or FB. The liability concern is just to to great. I see both sides of the argument. Its always better to side on the error of caution.
Yeah that's true. What's the current process to become an EO on this site or Facebook? Is it a vouch system?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: