Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
VSR10 Clone bolt won't slide fully forward

When my tsd sd700 vsr10 imitation (same gun as well mb03) is cocked, the bolt will not slide all the way forward. Instead, it will still have a couple milimeters to go, causing the cylinder head to not go far enough into the hopup bucking. The gun still shoots, but there is a major compression loss because of the air leak between cylinder head and bucking, and the bb's don't go nearly as far as normal.

Important info:
-When the trigger box is allowed to slide forward (screw removed) the bolt goes forward fine, even when cocked. This is because the trigger box moves forward a bit as the bolt goes forward, and the problem is solved. When the screw is back in place, and the trigger box is secure, the bolt problem persists. I cannot leave the screw out or the spring guide stopper will become loose, causing slam-fire.
-Bolt moves forward fine when gun is uncocked.
-I just got a new trigger box to fix the problem, but it did not help. Problem is unlikely to be with the trigger box itself.
-Everything looks aligned and working perfectly, which is why I'm completely stumped.
-Problem has nothing to do with outer barrel/hopup unit, as I am testing with only the bolt, trigger box, and reciever/bolt holder.
-Problem does not have to do with the piston O-ring or part #60 in the diagram below, because the problem has persisted when those objects were removed.
-Everything in the cylinder looks fine to me.

Diagram:
http://www.airsplat.com/Manuals/AR-HA-231-VSR10-13.jpg
Basic Bolt Operation:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...operation4.jpg
In case above link is broken:
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=9...9,r:1,s:91,i:7

Pics of the problem:
Bolt in correct forward position (uncocked):
img189.imageshack.us/img189/504/goodyy.jpg

Bolt cocked, cannot go fully into forward position:
img714.imageshack.us/img714/1724/badnc.jpg

I'm completely stumped, and simply cannot find anything wrong, even though the symptoms show the problem as obviously a problem with the relation of the trigger box to the bolt. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: My new cylinder kit (piston, spring guide, spring) just arrived and it did nothing to help my problem. I've got a new trigger box and a new cylinder kit, yet the bolt still doesn't go all the way forward when the gun is cocked! Therefore I can conclude that the problem is NOT caused by my slightly bent piston. The good news is that my new cylinder internals are made out of STEEL instead of some polycarbonate, and cylinder compression is very damn near perfect. I'm completely flummoxed at the moment.

NEW EDIT (5/5/12): Major Breakthrough in progress! I found out that the bolt could only move forward all the way when the gun is uncocked BECAUSE THE SPRING GUIDE STOPPER COULD WIGGLE FORWARD. When the gun is cocked, the spring guide stopper is prevented from moving forward (because the piston sear catches the piston) and the bolt cannot go all the way forward. It's really just the last mm or so, but that makes a huge difference!

Last edited by chachaseeds; 05-05-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Yawger20 is a Private
We've discussed this several times and this is a re-post from a few months ago. If you go to an event someone (myself) can tear that down in about 3 minutes. Without putting the thing in my hands it will be nearly impossible to figure out the problem. OR... take it to one of the many airsoft stores and have them look at it. Keep in mind that is an inexpensive sniper and therefore might be more prone to problems such as the one you currently have. Remember just like with most things... you get what you pay for.

-----------------------
Last Name: Yawger
Call Sign: Frostbite
Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 AM

chachaseeds is a Private
I do not live near any airsoft stores, and will probably have to find time to go to one. I believe I pm'ed you and said the gun was fixed, as I took out the trigger box screw and the rifle shot fine. However, I soon found out that the spring guide stopper had a fair chance of becoming loose when the screw was removed, causing the gun to slam fire. I agree that I should take it to a store, and hopefully I can do so soon.

EDIT: Sorry about the repost, the first one had a misleading title.

Last edited by chachaseeds; 04-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
I think the culprit could very well be the spring guide stopper. Does the spring guide have to fit snug on it?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Texx is a CorporalTexx is a CorporalTexx is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Texx Send a message via Yahoo to Texx
Do you have the original spring guide in the gun? If this is an after market spring guide, perhaps it is slightly longer than the original.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
Yes, I have the original spring guide. I actually tried sanding down the tip of the spring guide, but no luck.

New update: I simulated cocking the gun without the spring (I just let the piston sear catch the piston to simulate the positioning of everthing in the cylinder without the spring) and the bolt slid forward fine. Now, what in the world could the spring be doing to block the bolt from moving forward all the way?

Last edited by chachaseeds; 04-16-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
Update: I have found out that the piston is slightly bent. However, I am a bit doubtful is this is the cause of the problem, because the bending is only slightly noticeable, and the piston fits fine inside the cylinder.

Last edited by chachaseeds; 04-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Yawger20 is a Private
That could be causing the trigger sear(part 59 in your diagram) to grab the piston in the wrong spot(or wrong angle) which, when you rack the bolt isn't allowing the piston to be pulled back all the way so it's actually stopping the bolt from moving forward all the way because the sear is actually hitting the piston.

-----------------------
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
That sounds reasonable. Thanks, Jeremy! Also, another guy on another forum said it could be my spring guide stopper tilting backward when my gun is cocked. Anyways, I think buying a new cylinder set composed of a spring, a spring guide, and a piston will solve the problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Yawger20 is a Private
if your intent is to up the FPS.... watch out for the sears

-----------------------
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
What I probably will do is keep the stock spring, and use the upgraded (steel instead of cheap plastic!) piston and spring guide. Thanks for the warning, I will probably get to buy these new parts sometime in May (allowance money). Once I get the new cylinder set, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM

chachaseeds is a Private
Wow!!! My new cylinder kit (piston, spring guide, spring) just arrived and it did nothing to help my problem. I've got a new trigger box and a new cylinder kit, yet the bolt still doesn't go all the way forward when the gun is cocked! Therefore I can conclude that the problem is NOT caused by my slightly bent piston. The good news is that my new cylinder internals are made out of STEEL instead of some polycarbonate, and cylinder compression is very damn near perfect.
EDIT 1: I have an issue with the new, more powerful spring I just bought as part of the cylinder kit. The spring is very hard to get inside the cylinder, and when I finally got it in, I couldn't manage to cock it. Not because I'm weak, but rather because it just seems IMPOSSIBLE to cock. It also make a strange grating sound when I try to cock it, perhaps because the spring is scraping against the wall of the new piston.

Link to cylinder set:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Well_M...er_Up_Kit/3087
Although it says "Well MB03", it also fits the SD700. The two guns are identical.
NEW EDIT: Major Breakthrough in progress! I found out that the bolt could only move forward all the way when the gun is uncocked BECAUSE THE SPRING GUIDE STOPPER COULD WIGGLE FORWARD. When the gun is cocked, the spring guide stopper is prevented from moving forward (because the piston sear catches the piston) and the bolt cannot go all the way forward. It's really just the last mm or so, but that makes a huge difference!

Here's a pic of what I believe is the problem:
PIC: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4936/dsc0192od.jpg

As you can see, the place where the spring guide stopper is supposed to fit in is not aligned properly between the cylinder/bolt and the receiver.

Last edited by chachaseeds; 05-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Tags
bolt problems, bolt stuck, forward, tsd sd700

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: