Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Pittin is a Private
lets do a sniper game...

Okay guys sometime during this summer i am moving to Florida, but before i go i really want to do this sniper game. I would like to know how many people would be interested before i find a field so let me know through here. i really want it to be like a legit sniper game with ONLY bolt actions.. I will think aout DMR's..

game setting: abandon field during the present. So look at old corn, flat or hilly land, woods, and other natural stuff. (hopefully)

right now i have at least five people coming, for it to be better we NEED more people. there can be sniper squads up to three people over that is just uncalled for.

If i get at least 20-30 people who will come i can post a story line.

John 15:13
-Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends

http://www.airsplat.com
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 AM

RNA is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to RNA Send a message via Yahoo to RNA
Hmm this has been talked about so many times its honestly getting annoying ... First off snipers mean high fps which means engagements distance which means age limitations which means liability and since where on liability the field for this should be a public field with a waiver and seeing as your looking for a field this will not work its a all around bad idea

19:55:46) Agent_Spencer: It's like aids and win mixed together.
(19:56:11) Agent_Spencer: It's awesome, feels great, and there's no known cure and people thought only duo on duo sex could cause it.

(23:21:15) Naga: Well, I have to get up at 7 and take my mom for a ride...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM

Scrapper is a Recruit Private
^ That, also if you play all snipers, you're all just going to be sitting there waiting for each other to move. lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

79stang is a Private
Come to the G2 event at Fallen Warriors on the 28th. Sarge is doing a portion on this and I think you will love it.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Wrath the Furious is a Private
http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...=sniper+battle

You already know how this conversation plays out. There is some interest, but no one can figure out a set of objectives to keep the game play interesting or worth while. Based on the various problems and limited interest, paying to use a field is not practical unless you don't care about loosing money. Games like this should not be played at random, unapproved fields. I am not sure if that is what you are suggesting, but that is what it sounded like in your original post. Safety and knowledge are a key focus of AO. How could we support such a game in good conscience? Its our responsibility to protect our members, our community, and our sport. If 20 of you are trespassing on private property having a sniper game and get injured, arrested, or shot, don't you think that would have a negative impact on this community? People would say we are irresponsible children, playing with things that shouldn't be legal, with no oversight whatsoever. That's how all guns become pink, and airsoft fields get shut down. If you were not advocating using random property instead of a reputable airsoft field, then forgive my ramblings and ignore the last bit there.

Instead of creating the same thread you already have before, choose a field that suits your needs and design a set of objectives/goals, as well as a vague background to explain why there are only snipers. Then find out how much it would cost to put on the event, and plan out the day. After doing this, you could come to the forums saying "Sniper Game at Springfield, June 27. Objectives are still being tweaked and I am open to suggestions. Here are the current objectives; blah, blah, blah, blah. Please rsvp here if you would be interested in this game. I reserve the right to cancel the game should I see a lack of players." That way you have a plan of action, and we can help you with it, instead of just saying this is a bad idea.

Fuhrer King Bradley (Wrath): "It's almost poetic...two nameless men, fighting to the death."
Ain't no rest for the wicked, till we close our eyes for good.
President of OSU Airsoft / Team T.O.A.S.T.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...t=39201&page=2

We've all seen this before, and his original post was not flamed as bad as this one. Good idea and concept already, but biggest issues are getting players to come and want to even play. I wouldn't shoot that idea down just yet, guys. Why don't we help him with some more positive criticism?

If I get a bolt, I'm essentially in as long as it's a sanctioned field.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM

I am giving positive criticism. I am just concerned about safety issues since where he wants to host this is unclear. I think having an actual format would help us design a game instead of leaving it completely open ended. Previous thoughts have been about using two man squads of snipers and spotters, which I personally think is one of the best ways you could do this as an objective based game and have some structure to it. I also think assault rifles and dmrs should not be included in this type of game in order to keep the focus about actual sniper rifles.

If I were going to host an event like this, I would include several objectives that pin the sniper/spotter teams against each other as well as a few that put them into two factions, so for example lets say you have 20 sniper teams which totals 40 people. Ten teams would work together to defend a high value prisoner being kept in one building of the Springfield Airbase. The other ten would have to eliminate the defending team and safely extract the high value target to a certain location. Now of course you are wondering, "how can snipers enter the airbase and extract the target?" The simple answer is they don't, their spotters do. The problem with most sniper on sniper games is low rates of fire and high fps. Both are not good for close quarters, so for the purpose of this game, spotters would not only assist snipers in spotting targets, but they would actually carry personal defense weapons, such as MP7, MP9, Mac 11, Uzi, pistols, and other small arms that could be used for fighting at closer engagements. The snipers will be tasked with either taking them out before they can get to the target, (they would be positioned in areas all around the airbase, not in it) or defending them by eliminating the enemy snipers so their spotter extraction team can get to the objective. Another great objective is to have sniper teams take out particular targets around the field without being seen, but refs would have to be there to confirm the hit, and be able to know which team actually hit the target first. These are just examples of things that could be used. I would have particular requirements for the two classes as well.

Snipers must use an actual sniper rifle, not a dmr, but the rifle may be bolt, gas, or electric in certain cases. All snipers must also carry a sidearm in the case of close range engagements. Snipers may only carry a pistol as their sidearm, but it may be gas, electric, or spring powered. Only a person designated as a sniper may use a sniper in combat, or to take out an objective.

Spotters will assist the snipers in numerous ways. All spotters should carry binoculars, a scope, rangefinder, or some sort of optic to enhance vision at a range to assist snipers in spotting targets. Spotters will be the only players allowed to carry a PDW, or Personal Defense Weapon. These weapons may use full auto, but they may not be assault rifles. A list of acceptable PDWs include MP7, MP9, MAC 11, and similar short barreled weapons. MP5s and P90s are still being considered. The weapons may be gas or electric powered, and can be used in close range engagements where a sniper can not fire, or in cqb combat for certain objectives. This gives the spotters a more active role, and allows them to defend themselves should two hostile sniper teams accidentally run into each other at a close range. By only allowing PDWs, you eliminate the power and range of M4/M16s, AKs, and all other longer barreled assault rifles. The short barrels and ammo capacities of PDWs would make snipers very effective against them at range, while still having players that can be used for other things. This is why I would hesitate to allow P90s and MP5s. They are a bit larger than I would the want spotters to have.

Using a set up like this, the game becomes focused on your abilities to move unnoticed, and work as a two man team, with spotters identifying targets for snipers, and defending them while they take out range objectives, and snipers providing overwatch for spotters from a distance when they engage enemies as a unified fire team. Both players must rely on each other to perform their specified duties and occasionally on other sniper teams as well. Of course this example isn't perfect and there are still plenty of details that would need to be worked out, but by laying down a framework, people understand what you want to do with the game, how it is supposed to work, and what ways they might be able to improve it.

Fuhrer King Bradley (Wrath): "It's almost poetic...two nameless men, fighting to the death."

Last edited by Wrath the Furious; 04-16-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Pittin is a Private
thanks flenner. and i reposted this idea because this time i am actually serious about it.. if you want to be a troll go ahead just not here. i am really just trying to figure out how many people are up for it, then ill figure out all the other stuff (FPS, field, and other stuff)

Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM

Pittin is a Private
the way i could see a two man team is that: the designated sniper carries the rifle, a pistol, and an optional PDW as for the spotter: the spotter may carry a sniper rifle (used for spotting and assisting the designated sniper), a pistol, and an optional PDW. i can tell you guys right now no M4's of any kind, no DMR's, no type of AEG to sum it up

Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Rygar is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittin View Post
i am really just trying to figure out how many people are up for it, then ill figure out all the other stuff (FPS, field, and other stuff)
And that is where the catch22 comes in. There are a bunch of folks who won't show any interest in the game unless they can see how it is organized and where, etc. etc. Turns into a never ending loop and one side has to give in. I can tell you now, it won't be the players waiting to see the set up. It will have to be the person who is organizing and creating the game who will need to invest the work first, then try to entice players to show interest in the game they have created.

Not trollin Pittin, we're all trying to give you some HONEST feedback and help, even if it does sound negative at points, that's what it's about. Any EO worth a tiniest damn will tell you they value the constructive negative feedback more than the high fives and bootlicking comments. it's how we grow and fix things so that the next time will be even better.

You are on the right track man..listen to all that is given to you. Wrath gave you some very good advice. Keep what he says in mind as you proceed. Let it help to GUIDE you, not direct you.
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM

79stang is a Private
Still think you should come to the G2 workshop. You already have the snipers and counter snipers already there.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM

See, as your game, you could do it however you wanted, but my concern about allowing everyone to carry PDWs, is that it might just devolve into a PDW war. My understanding is that you want to design a true sniper game, and I feel that in order to get players to really play the sniper role, the game would need a way to commit them to it, and make the focus be the use of those sniper rifles as key assets. The PDWs should be a secondary role to be used by non-sniper to assist them elsewhere. That's why I have the strict divisions, but once again, you are the one who wants to host this, so do what you think is best. I agree with Rygar in saying you need to have a plan for the game to show to players. Even if you don't choose what field yet, figure out a story, purpose, objectives, and requirements. That will show players you are serious about making this game, and once again, its the only way we know how to help you in designing it. That will find you the players you are looking for, and give you legitimacy. That is exactly the point I am trying to make. This is not a bad idea, just a difficult one to execute well.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Rygar is a Private
I am also going to have to go with Wrath here. it's a good idea, but it is going to be very difficult to pull off. Even for an experienced EO, something like this could take months of preparation.

Pittin, since you are leaving for Florida soon, I will echo 79Stangs suggestion and see if you can get down to Fallen warriors on the 28th. Sarge is doing a very intensive Sniper workshop, including a small taste of what you are wanting to have in a game with snipers and spotters. I think it is going to be mostly what you are wanting, just not as the subject of the whole game. There is going to be plenty more to learn and do in Sarges G2 workshops! Read up on the description in the event listings for 4/28 and see what you think. Because, to be quite honest, I don't think you are going to be able to organize the kind of game you want and run it before you leave for Florida.
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Rio is a Private
I know that Florida has a fairly good airsoft community, so even when you move down there, there are still chances for this to happen. Just a bit of info.

OP Night Archer 4, 5, 6 (SplatterPark)
OP Braaaaaaaiiiiinssss I, II (Springfield, Chillicothe)
OP Dark Horizons (Chillicothe)
OP Moonlight I, II, III (SplatterPark)
OP Calamityville (Fairborn)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM

ru5h is a Private
I'm up for it
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Thank you for the awesome information, Wrath. I was in my CS3240 and couldnt respond to the thread with the same information.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM

tx582 is a Private
although i like games with snipers as a focus, an all sniper game might be a little boring unless it had a clear objective. Say, non-sniper team defend a target, sniper team has to take out that target within a time limit. Special rules for deployment and calling hits.

For example a silent kill rule might be in effect, a person yelling HIT can attract attention to the sniper's position in a general area, obviously you know you were hit, and the sniper knows they hit you, so just raise your gun and walk out so people around you that don't really see cant pinpoint the sniper's location as easily.

I found this by looking at his old thread and thought I'd bring it back up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM

AppleJackson is a Private
It never seems to occur to the people that make these threads that snipers are fairly sedentary units, and a game like this would be incredibly boring and consist of a bunch of people sitting in the same spot for a few hours.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM

TPickles is a Private
See, I would just troll a game like this and charge people that have bolt-actions with a pistol (assuming sidearms would be allowed) or semi-auto dmr. If you're serious about it, I would think of a way to pevent trolls like me Something to think about...

You, sir, are quite mad.
-Give it time and all of our MANstration cycles will be in sync
-Does that mean we'll all start liking the same sports teams?
-Well that'll simplify things....
Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM

T271 is a Private
I can see where it could get boring, maybe a normal game that has a request for extra snipers? I don't know, but if set up right I can see where it would be awesome.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPickles View Post
See, I would just troll a game like this and charge people that have bolt-actions with a pistol (assuming sidearms would be allowed) or semi-auto dmr. If you're serious about it, I would think of a way to pevent trolls like me Something to think about...
They would instinctively and involuntarily shoot you in the face. Problem solved. I do it to people all the time when I get charged like that. I don't mean to hurt them, its just a trained response to such sudden aggression. Besides, if following my setup all snipers would have to have a pistol of some sort, so they could still switch to it if they wanted. Also, if that is the way you would play this type of game, its probably not the best one for you.

As for the snipers staying in one position, in a game like this designed for snipers, there are many different ways to make them place their shots, move, and then do so again. The sedentary sniper happens when you have an entire force with automatic weapons that handles the vast majority of objectives. If you were designing a game with the focus on sniper teams, that would not be the case. Still, there is obviously a lot that could go wrong with a game like this, even if it was set up in a good way. That's really all I have to suggest for this. I have no intention of putting on a game like this nor would I probably choose to play it, so you can figure out the rest. I hope I was at least helpful in some way. Good luck.

Last edited by Wrath the Furious; 04-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Cassius is a Private
I predict this thread getting locked in the near future.......
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM

hotballz87 is a Private
I personally don't think a ALL sniper game would be very fun, or effective, with the role of what snipers actually do. A game incorporating snipers could be a lot better, keeping in mind, there probably isn't a lot of people out there that have true sniper rifles out there. A "freelancer" sniper game could be more interesting, where you have multiple sniper teams, and a few main forces, with PDWs and side arms, nothing that can contend with the sniper range. The snipers are all freelancer, so they could switch teams under certain conditions, say a team can shoot the sniper team, and have their medic heal them and they are now on that force.
Give the game objectives that the teams would need at least two sniper teams under their "hire" to be able to complete.
Just given the availability of snipers/sniper teams, I don't think a game of snipers only would be difficult to get enough people with the equipment to play.

Y u no play in Youngstown?!?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Rygar is a Private
another suggestion for a sniper game style....
There are a couple of HVT's on each side, with a small squad acting as 'guards' for the HVT's. They have a limited area they can move around in. Each team also has a couple of two man sniper groups. Object, the snipers must identify and eliminate the HVT's on the opposing team before the other team eliminates theirs. To keeps things moving around...have the HVT's in separate areas on the field so they are not all bunched up. Heck, I might try a variation of that for an open play...sounds like fun now that I think of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: