Airsoft Ohio Forums

Airsoft Ohio Forums (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Feedback Needed - IFAKs in Airsoft (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41805)

Krayzie 04-19-2012 10:18 AM

Feedback Needed - IFAKs in Airsoft

I am not trying to sell anything here, just looking for player feedback on the subject matter.

Alright Ladies and Gentlmen, HRT has teamed up with Chinook Medical gear, the leading supplier for medical gear to the military. We will be releasing our own version of a IFAK/Blow Out Kit.

I am trying to determine if the airsoft community would be a good area to market these kits to.

The kits are basically designed to aid the top 3 combat casualty conditions. Airway, breathing, Hemorrhage. So where do IFAKs come in when playing airsoft since people actually do not get shot? As we know some of the AO's can be very dangerous terrain, it is just a matter of time before something serious goes wrong, this goes for every field/venue. People can slip, fall, heat stroke, etc and now the airway has been compromised. Same goes for falling on a exposed pipe, branch, rock, etc and now the breathing has been affected and the same goes for hemorrhage. If someone were to strike and artery then they could bleed out within 2 minutes. We all know that even having a medical bag for the team or field host it could take 5-10 minutes to get from one end of the field to the other. If players were equipped with IFAK's then it gives the casualty a chance. I know some us us carry IFAKs with us at all times on and off the field.

Are they worth having? Would you or do you carry one?
Would a kit designed specifically for airsoft be good to have?

I am not looking for what needs to be in a kit, just if anyone would or does carry them and why.

So I would like to get some feedback when relating to airsoft.
Thanks for the input!

Sidd 04-19-2012 11:21 AM

Krayzie,

Thats actually a really great idea.

Personally I think the individual players who would wish to carry a kit would really only need a basic kit unless they have some specific medical need. I know there have been times in my airsoft career where I would have benefited from some one with a kit.

Also I think event organizers should have larger kits with supplies for bigger issues like broken bones and stuff, or as I have seen at in the past EMTs ready to go at the event.

Sithis 04-19-2012 11:34 AM

I've always carried a First Aid Kit around with me onto the field and it's come in handy on multiple occasions. Now, I've never seen a situation that would require such an extensive medical kit, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I'd proabaly get one if they became readily avalible and easy to carry onto the field without getting in the way.

CRASH_TF330 GUNSLINGERS 04-19-2012 11:34 AM

I carry a blow-out kit/IFAK every time I go in the woods. If you stay ready you don't have to get ready. I would personally recommend this practice for anyone, just on good principle.
I think there would be a market for your product on this forum. I've seen platoon first aid kits for as cheap as 20 dollars. Ultimately you want to turn a profit, however you don't want to over-charge people. That is if you want repeat business. Good luck with your endevor, and when you get it, post a picture. I might be interested in it. I stockpile.

Regan 04-19-2012 11:35 AM

Krayzie
I think people should actually keep 2 IFAKS on their person. The first being for a general use for others, and the second being a custom IFAK that is customized for their own personal needs. Such as special medication that may be needed, even preferred brand of band-aid if your that guy haha:).

But I would like to carry atleast one with me on the field, hoping to get more items like this and other stuff before bf9.

Hope this helps!
Regan

Sent from my TI-84 texas instrument.

Spaniard 04-19-2012 11:52 AM

with me personally having bad asthma i would definately get IFAKS. i already keep an emergency medical kit in my loadout, but it would be nice for more players to be equipped with such items for better safety

P-51Mustang 04-19-2012 12:01 PM

Yes, this is a great idea. Like others on here, I carry a small first aid kit with me out on the field, but nothing that could save someone's life if they were to slice an artery as mentioned above. I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

WhiteOut 04-19-2012 02:44 PM

Same here P-51. I never play without a medic kit. First off, I would help anyone injured, second off, I play as medic so it's good to add to the realism.

Gopher 04-19-2012 02:49 PM

I say $125. How much is your friends or your life worth?

79stang 04-19-2012 03:37 PM

I think this would be a great thing to have for any outdoor activity. The availability of medical supplies when you truly need it could save someones life. I think that if you carry one of these, you should in fact be professionally training (EMT, First Response, etc). The kit does you no good if you don't know how to use it.

Panda 04-19-2012 04:23 PM

I, personally, am in full support of carrying an IFAK. My issue is that, as 79stang said, I'm not sure if I'm competent with one. Granted I'm First Aid and CPR trained, but still. But yes, I like IFAK's. If I were able to afford one in the future, I would most definitely buy one. If not for me to use, then for it to be available for use.

These are a necessity for anyone going to Fran Bar... :p

derp 04-19-2012 04:28 PM

Truthfully its just aisoft folks we dont need it. let the field officials or owners deal with any problems but.... i do have a 300 dollar ifak in mug bug out rig for any disaster situation such as when **** hits the fan but i do nt think they are needed in a game. It's already baad enough we run around and pretend were in the military c'mon

Grease Man 04-19-2012 04:33 PM

I would hope it would cost no more than $50. It seems to me that if it was over $100, it probably has some stuff in it you need to be trained on.

Keep it basic (KISS), keep it small, keep the price down and I would say its going to be a good product.

Panda 04-19-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derp (Post 381437)
Truthfully its just aisoft folks we dont need it. let the field officials or owners deal with any problems but.... i do have a 300 dollar ifak in mug bug out rig for any disaster situation such as when **** hits the fan but i do nt think they are needed in a game. It's already baad enough we run around and pretend were in the military c'mon

True, but at the same time this "game" can be dangerous. Running through the woods is running through the woods, playing or not, and serious stuff can happen if you trip. I don't think having a first aid kit is that bad of an idea, even if we're already "pretending we're in the military." The EO and Refs should definitely carry a first aid kit or two on the field, though.

EDIT: Grease Man brought up another good point. I don't want anyone helping me with stuff they don't know how to use...

DOUBLE EDIT: I meant Grease Man. :p It's all 8th anyways.

Vinvyin 04-19-2012 04:51 PM

Personally, I wouldn't carry one because I have no idea what to do with it, but I agree that the field owners should all have something of the sort.

However, I do carry bandages and wraps with me just in case. Nothing big, but enough if I get stabbed with a branch or someone else gets a bad cut.

ld513 04-19-2012 04:55 PM

I would be interested. I have an EI style ifak pouch and need stuff for inside it. If I don't know how to use it I would still like to have it there, available for one that does. If it's simple stuff I can use that just makes it better. However ATM I don't have much to spend on one. Airsoft is dangerous and I think it should be standard for at least two guys out of every five have one.

Gopher 04-19-2012 05:45 PM

I carry a pistol mag pouch on my shoulder with Alcohol swabs and also band aids. Then in a MBITR pouch I have a more substantial FAK with a gauze roll,gauze pads,Chem light, orange tape,tegaderm, and other goodies. First aid classes and hunter safety courses have influenced what I carry in a potentially dangerous field.

Mothman 04-19-2012 06:00 PM

Mine has bandaids and cigarettes in it.

Red 04-19-2012 07:04 PM

I would like a very basic IFAK for hiking or keeping it in the car.

mr_kong 04-19-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 381439)
EDIT: Kong brought up another good point. I don't want anyone helping me with stuff they don't know how to use...

WTF, there's another kong?

Regan 04-19-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 381439)
True, but at the same time this "game" can be dangerous. Running through the woods is running through the woods, playing or not, and serious stuff can happen if you trip. I don't think having a first aid kit is that bad of an idea, even if we're already "pretending we're in the military." The EO and Refs should definitely carry a first aid kit or two on the field, though.

All he does is troll and pretend to be a BA , but eventually you learn to just ignore him. No point in feeding a troll. But I have to agree with you, while this may just be "pretend" its still more dangerous than sitting on a computer trolling, so a boo boo is gonna happen, better safe than sorry. Take lenahan for example back at red dragon a while ago. Hopefully he'll be back soon, I feel bad that it happens, but what of it had been worse? Again better safe than sorry.

WhiteOut 04-19-2012 08:19 PM

Since I was already making a 72h bug-out bag, This would help with that as well. And since I'm in HighSchool with no job, It would have to be 50 dollars right now, maybe I'll get a 175 dollar one down the road, but have to keep it cheap. Cause you know College makes you FOREVER A LOAN.

PianoBlack 04-19-2012 08:43 PM

I carry an IFAK when I play in the field, but it is customized towards the type of injuries most likely to occur when you're running around in the woods. I have some gloves, prep-pads, gauze, tape, a compression bandage for the more serious stuff, and a mylar space blanket. It's essentially a wilderness/camping first aid kit, but in the shape of an IFAK.

Cheers,
-Piano

THEDEISEL 04-19-2012 09:52 PM

I carry 1 basic first aid on the field(bandages, disinfectant pads, etc), 1 in my gun bag, and 1 in my Brudgestone emergency car kit(has tons of medic stuff). I should add to the field kit though.

Lu 04-19-2012 10:34 PM

I am with Greaseman on this one. Keep it simple. Don't include items that people without training are going to hurt the injured or themselves with. Then again I doubt for $50 you guys would be passing out Cric kits and AEDs lol. Some basic general purpose bandages, tape, prep pads etc. would be a great idea for the average player. While some players have already been doing this for years, getting it in one convenient pouch / package at an affordable price would be nice for those looking to start to.

Quebely 04-19-2012 11:38 PM

I have a very basic kit that I carry with me from time to time (depends on if I remember to take it out of my car and throw it in my IFAK pouch). It certainly isn't anything elaborate but it has basic med supplies w/ instructions and some other nice bits and pieces. Let me know when you have yours available Krayzie, I'd certainly be willing to pick one up and dedicate it to in field use.

Saffron 04-19-2012 11:53 PM

I think it's a notable idea to have an airsoft specific kit tailored to our situations. First off, the average airsofter is probably by all odds not capable of accessing head/airway trauma and it goes to say, if you do not have training on how to do something, do not do it.

Personally, I carry a fairly extensive amount of medical gear when I play. I'm one of those people who would rather be prepared than to be left hanging if someone becomes injured. I carry everything from a first string medical gear up to some Isralie's and a nylon stretcher in the event someone needs carried out. That is just me but I typically recommend people carry at least a few items to patch themselves up.

I believe it'd a great idea to make a system catered to the outdoors person/airsofter with things we are most likely to encounter. Things like severe cuts/excessive bleeding, counter reactionary medicines, things to treat poison ivy, etc... etc... stuff along those lines. But I don't really thing tourniquets and compression needles need to be handled by the untrained.

Krayzie 04-20-2012 07:54 AM

We fully agree that there will be no items that people could cause more harm than good. This goes for our full kits we sell to LE and Tactical teams. For example: Based off of our research most people do not have the training or scared to use a decompression needle if it is actually needed, so why put that in a kit just to have it. Also a boo boo kit is good to have but when it comes to any serious injuries it will not do crap! This kit will have needed supplies and come in a water proof vacuum seal pouch so reduce the size and protect the contents.

Everyone have provided some good feedback, I would like to keep collecting input if you have anything positive to contribute. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Sidd 04-20-2012 10:10 AM

Hey, I dont think this was asked, but will you offer a version that comes already in the pouch for attaching to a vest? you know, for the purpose of one stop shopping and saving frustration

P-51Mustang 04-20-2012 10:55 AM

Just an inquiry, Krayzie, when do you think these would become available for order?

Krayzie 04-20-2012 11:02 AM

"Hey, I dont think this was asked, but will you offer a version that comes already in the pouch for attaching to a vest? you know, for the purpose of one stop shopping and saving frustration"

Sidd, We have thought about that and might offer that as an option. The problem is people are so picky with the gear they want and colors, etc. We are working on that option now.

After I collect all of the results I can have the kits ready in a little as 2 weeks. Our military and LE kits are already avaliable. Are you looking for an airsoft kit?

Krayzie 04-20-2012 11:04 AM

One nice option that we can do is build custom kits as well for those who do have special needs or conditions.

P-51Mustang 04-20-2012 11:11 AM

Most likely. I'll purchase one of them- most likely the airsoft kit but I'm gonna shop around. Do you have a site to order from, or do I just talk to you?

P y r o 04-20-2012 11:20 AM

Our team made these "required" for a time, after a mishap at a private op... Bronco! :D

But I don't think we need a full blown IFAK, especially since a lot of people would have no idea what to do with it. Maybe a small first aid kit could be recommended... But not required.

Sidd 04-20-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krayzie (Post 381533)
"Hey, I dont think this was asked, but will you offer a version that comes already in the pouch for attaching to a vest? you know, for the purpose of one stop shopping and saving frustration"

Sidd, We have thought about that and might offer that as an option. The problem is people are so picky with the gear they want and colors, etc. We are working on that option now.

After I collect all of the results I can have the kits ready in a little as 2 weeks. Our military and LE kits are already avaliable. Are you looking for an airsoft kit?

I realize there are a lot of factors involved with offering the pouch as well. I personally is mostly be using it for airsoft, though my gear is OD so as long as the pouch is decent and OD i would be happy

Krayzie 04-20-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-51Mustang (Post 381536)
Most likely. I'll purchase one of them- most likely the airsoft kit but I'm gonna shop around. Do you have a site to order from, or do I just talk to you?

We will have them listed on the website very soon. As for now you can email me your requirements or wait a few weeks for the airsoft kit to be release.
jeem@highrisktraining.net

Big Teddy 04-20-2012 11:53 AM

I would buy one for my go bag but, as this is airsoft I would say if you have a different versions, maybe with medical supplies geared toward injuries likely to happen in airsoft. Ie compress, bandages, iodine, ect ect.

P-51Mustang 04-20-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krayzie (Post 381543)
We will have them listed on the website very soon. As for now you can email me your requirements or wait a few weeks for the airsoft kit to be release.
jeem@highrisktraining.net

Thanks! I'll check it out.

MGD 04-22-2012 03:26 PM

I think having a med kit is a good idea I always carry one

Sunshine 04-22-2012 04:55 PM

A med kit is a great idea, but I do not think it should be under $100 yet over $25. It should have high quality utilities, as well as basic instructions for user friendliness.