Airsoft Ohio Forums

Airsoft Ohio Forums (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can Airsoftohio relive?!?! (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53178)

Blade 03-27-2018 10:38 AM

Can Airsoftohio relive?!?!

As I am an admin, I will leave it to you all to bring a list of problems and solutions but also name obsolete features and wishlists.

So without further due, letís start this conversation!

What do you have to say?

mr_kong 03-27-2018 11:18 AM

RIP

With <3

Blade 03-27-2018 11:22 AM

Kong, are you already trolling or you believe it for real? Why do you think so?

Rygar 03-27-2018 11:28 AM

I've always felt that for the organization of events, and the wealth of knowledge shared, THIS was far superior venue for Ohio. Albeit, it needs and update, especially for the event calendar. It only had two choices for sides, and there is a need for more than two for lots of events. (crucible, most of Blades larger events, smaller milsims with a contractor element, etc) There is also some bugs with uploading pictures and the like.

It's MUCH easier to look ahead to see what events are listed and where for a specific date without having to scroll for what feels like forever to find whats going on, IF you can even find it on FB.

I would love to see an updated forum!! newer folks have no idea how much easier it is to navigate to find what you need!

Also, WE CAN buy, sell trade any gear or airsoft GUNS on here!!!! THAT should be a BIG selling point!!!!

Blade 03-27-2018 11:39 AM

Rygar, everything you mentioned Is what we want to focus on as well. While we talk here, I got people talking to the owner of the site for approval and the funding methods.

Bushmaster16 03-27-2018 11:45 AM

I agree with Rygar, events are much easier to read on AO than Facebook. I’ve always thought the forum was a more civilized place too; no BS (well some, but not like FB). Uploading pictures was always a problem for me because I didn’t know how to resize a picture ��. I’d say if uploading photos to classifieds was a bit more streamlined it’d be a great improvement.

jonahm740 03-27-2018 11:56 AM

It can be revived honestly, it will just take a ton of work and a lot of effort on both the admin side, but even more critically the member side. People have to WANT to utilize this platform that is sorely in need of an update for sure! I'm open to trying, I have given way too much time and effort to Ohio Airsoft to watch it wither.

79stang 03-27-2018 12:14 PM

**** it, every time some one asks a question on FB, we need to direct them here. Every time someone hosts an event on the FB page it should have a link here or it should be deleted.

Let's do this!

Dover 03-27-2018 02:02 PM

I'd recommend updating the retailers box. Might be able to get some marketing funding by updating to ones currently in business.

Scorch 03-27-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 445592)
funding methods

I have seen numerous community forum sites with automatic group pays set up, though these were typically through a website service where the payments go directly to the service. might be a system worth considering, like an Airsoft Ohio Patreon kinda setup to keep it running without the bills falling on one or a small few individuals who may not want to stay in the sport forever.

Edit: and the relevant parties should definitely look into updating the site to the latest version, I'd love to be able to change my profile name and not look at a typo I made in 2009 haha.

jonahm740 03-27-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scortch30 (Post 445602)
I have seen numerous community forum sites with automatic group pays set up, though these were typically through a website service where the payments go directly to the service. might be a system worth considering, like an Airsoft Ohio Patreon kinda setup to keep it running without the bills falling on one or a small few individuals who may not want to stay in the sport forever.

Edit: and the relevant parties should definitely look into updating the site to the latest version, I'd love to be able to change my profile name and not look at a typo I made in 2009 haha.

What do you want your name changed to :).

Yawger20 03-27-2018 04:39 PM

I feel like Stang is right. The FB page can be live, but as a secondary source to advise people of this forum. Not the other way around.

Bain 03-27-2018 05:47 PM

I got into the website when it was still active and still to this day would rather use the website over FB. Like many have said FB should be used to point to this location. We need to get EO's posting a date on FB but linking this website for more details for the events.

I always loved it when I would log in to find a new OOBI event posted or another event. We have to many great places to play that we cant revive this website.

Swimmer 03-27-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonahm740 (Post 445603)

Hmmmm...I'm guessing either Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold?

Blade 03-27-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 445613)
Hmmmm...I'm guessing either Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold?

...and would you mind changing your Avatar? ;)

Rygar 03-28-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 445592)
and the funding methods.

If I recall correctly, didn't Wallace of Zshot offer to help fund the forum and and update to the software? If so, now would be a good time to call that in. :)

Swimmer 03-28-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 445614)
...and would you mind changing your Avatar? ;)

Is that better?

http://insulinnation.com/wp-content/...n_in_Black.gif

RotaryProphet 03-28-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rygar (Post 445615)
If I recall correctly, didn't Wallace of Zshot offer to help fund the forum and and update to the software? If so, now would be a good time to call that in. :)

Last I talked to him, Wallace owned the domain and was paying for the hosting (which was very expensive for what we're getting, btw). I'd offered to host it for free on the same server that was running OOTBI's site, but it never really went anywhere.

Bain 03-28-2018 11:59 AM

If you need any help, let me know.

Rowdy 03-28-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonahm740 (Post 445594)
It can be revived honestly, it will just take a ton of work and a lot of effort on both the admin side, but even more critically the member side. People have to WANT to utilize this platform that is sorely in need of an update for sure! I'm open to trying, I have given way too much time and effort to Ohio Airsoft to watch it wither.

Agreed. It would be useful to think about it from a user standpoint and ask, why do people go to AO in the first place? It's difficult to promote AO on FB, because people will just ask themselves, "why would I go to an outdated forum, when I can get everything I need here on FB?"

While it's a drop in the bucket, the AO event organizers might want to have photographers exclusively post photos and AAR threads to AO and then promote it at the events they host. Obviously you can't stop someone from just posting stuff to FB event pages, but getting at least a handful of heads together is a start.

The AAR discussions were half the fun on here.

Bain 03-28-2018 06:47 PM

If needed I can try to reach out to EO's regarding the website and see about getting them to post events to the webpage. Or as they post on FB, I could post them here on the website as well (if that's allowed).

**What we need is a EO with a built in following, starting back up and exclusively using FB to promote the website and only post events to the website(COUGH, COUGH OOBI!!!)**

Tyler Adams 03-28-2018 08:23 PM

Just get a few EO’s back on here and posting links on Facebook to the event pages and get some traffic back. Then the rest of the community hopefully starts coming around when they start seeing it more often.

Scorch 03-31-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonahm740 (Post 445603)

Didn't know this was a option, just "Scorch" is what I've always gone by, thanks homie.

Rellim 04-01-2018 09:04 PM

Here are my thoughts.
First, does anyone know of any other online forums that are up to date and attractive? Do we have a target for what a good forum should look like? That would be a great place to start. If we can narrow down “style” and figure out what makes a good website/forum, we can move in the right direction.
As far as changes I’d like to see, I think updated personal profiles and pop-up chat boxes would be really helpful(like facebook)! The pop-up chats are really convenient and would make communication much easier. Also, removing the “latest pictures” section and replacing it with something more useful would be nice! People can post their pictures on their personal page or on facebook.
Honestly, AO needs to focus on what it’s good at: discussion forums and being an event posting hub. All of the other things can become distractions and deterrents. So, I’d say focus on a few key things first and then move to some of the finer points.
AO is a great place and I used to love the community aspect it offered. I think a nice facelift and a few key changes will revitalize it and make it great again.

Bain 04-02-2018 10:10 AM

There is all kinds of ideas to improve to site. But it all comes down to design and cost.

* Event posting -
Letting the EO be able to post pictures, small teaser video for the event would be great. Help entice people in coming. Private forums for teams based on the event. The forums could be wiped within one week after the event has passed(allow EO to save the needed information from the forums)

* Team Profile Page
Active Roster (Command structure)
Home field (Or Most active field played at)
Load out used per member (Thinking Call Of Duty Style Load out(Interactive)
Events Hosted as a team
Notable Events attended

Just a few things off the top of my head.