Airsoft Ohio Forums

Airsoft Ohio Forums (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polarstar (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Polar Star vs Daytona Gun (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50112)

Accident Prone 12-08-2013 03:44 PM

Polar Star vs Daytona Gun

I don't know much about either, but I know more about polar stars. But what's the difference?

BigRed2014 12-08-2013 03:50 PM

inb4crapfest

http://www.blacksportsonline.com/images/topopcorn.gif

Bushmaster16 12-08-2013 04:20 PM

I've never used a Daytona gun, but I'm a proud Polarstar user. Daytona guns are ALL mechanical, and they are blowback (from what I've heard). That's all I can tell you about those.

Polarstars, as you probably know, use a Fire Control Unit and small battery for programming ROF and a ton of other options exclusive to the P*. It uses two solenoids and one moving part; the nozzle. They are also extremely reliable.

tombo131 12-09-2013 04:05 PM

Lol @ BigRed :)

It's an innocent question though. Accident Prone, really the only similarity is that they run off external air. P* can run off HPA, DG can run off HPA or CO2 (although hpa will of course provide better shot to shot consistency).

To me, DGs fit the bill if you're wanting more realism via recoil. As Bushmaster said, they're a fully mechanical system, so no worries if you take it for a swim in a creek. However, given that they do have some heavier moving parts you're going to have to be prepared for some parts to break and needing replaced. They do produce an awesome feel, IMO, they feel like what a GBBR would like to be when they grow up in regards to recoil. ;) FPS is adjustable via pressure, but you will not have as wide of an adjustable range of velocity. ROF is only adjustable by different recoil weights.

For more info on DG check out www.tnkguns.com

Now, P* is a totally different animal. The P* uses compressed air that has it's fire cycle performed by solenoids and a poppet valve which are controlled by an electronic board (the FCU). So, while it's powered by HPA like the DG, the fire cycle is controlled by electronics. P* does not have a blowback system (although I heard they're working on one). The electronic control allows you to perform a lot more adjustment to your firing cycle. The use of different nozzles allows a greater range of velocity.

While the DG kits can be installed on several gun models, the P* system does currently have some greater flexibility on models to install it to. There are some techs (such as bingoairsoftworks.com) that can install a P* into virtually any gun (I just had one put in an ICS L86).

They're both really cool systems. If I was to grade them each on one metric - the DG wins in realism due to it's recoil system and the P* wins on performance due to its fire control system.

Accident Prone 12-09-2013 04:31 PM

Thanks tombo that definitely clears it up.

rootbeerking202 12-09-2013 05:02 PM

Tombo gave a great definition, and would be great for newer players or those who do not knew the difference.

If the thread were his definition I would vote for a sticky, very informative.
However, the thread is a question, so I guess that kinda rules it out.

KrabbyPaddy 11-07-2016 06:37 AM

Here's my two cents, if you just want performance, I would recommend a p* style system hands down. There's a lot easier, cheaper(relatively lol) , and have more shot to shot consistenty, plus maximum operatablity. But if your looking for the fun, and wow factor, I would absolutely recommend a dg. There's a lot of tinkering and tweaking that you have to do, and you pretty much need to tear it down after every event, but if you're that kind of person, it's perfect.

KrabbyPaddy 11-07-2016 06:38 AM

That being said, dgs can be a huge pain when they don't work, and the parts are pretty pricey. But the highs definitely make up for the lows