Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Blackbeard

Rate this Entry

Madbull hop-up: A Story of Failure

Posted 03-07-2010 at 02:57 PM by Blackbeard
Hey everybody, I'm pretty angry, so I'm going to write about it. This is more or less about the constant pursuit of something better, than it is about the madbull hop-up (although I am pretty upset with it). I am always looking for ways to make my guns shoot better/farther/more consistent. I have used G&P, Systema, and Prometheus m4/m16 style hop-ups, with increasing success (in that order). The madbull hop-up seemed like a very rational, sensible design. Never worry about those pesky, cheap little hop-up gears slipping again!!! Hooray!!!

Yeah. No. I read somewhere that this hop-up doesn't work with G&P m4/m16 bodies. Let me give you a word of advice, a true nugget of eternal wisdom, I even think it's in the bible... Learn from other people's mistakes/experiences, not your own.

If someone trustworthy has experience with something, listen to them. Especially before spending money.

Anyways, I did manage to get the hop-up unit in my zombie killer (which had a Systema unit in it, performing very well). Was that good enough? Yes. For me and my endless quest for airsoft superiority? Nope. Shame on me. The Madbull hop-up was promising looking, everything fit on it rather well, it's adjustment wheel was nice and tight, it was very functional, and even shiny!

It was horribly inaccurate. I checked to see if everything was together right, it was. Still crap. On top of that it was misfeeding, and the whole "bb not falling out" thing, was really annoying (since stray bb's would stay in the chamber after releasing the mag. Wow.

I went to take it out and put my Systema hop-up back in, it was stuck. I tried so many different things to get it out of there peacefully to no avail. i had to hammer it out of there. In essence, I paid $30 for a spring, Madbull blue hop-up bucking, and a small shiny piece of scrap metal. Now I'm sad.

Moral of the story? If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Perfection is never something to be reached, only strived for. Save your money, go with what works, and learn from other's experience, listen to what they say. The End.
Views 9109 Comments 14 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old
    Strange........ Mine goes in and out of my G&P M4 without any problems whatsoever. The answer to stop the bb's from staying in the chamber is to remove the o-ring from the feed tube. I like mine, it has a larger adjustment range than a standard hop up and the knob doesn't move out of position when the wind blows. Sorry you had this problem, maybe it's that this one specific hop up is faulty in some way. Anyway, hope you can work it out.
  2. Old
    Nope, no way to work it out now. The hammering part ended in some semi-severe mangling. If anyone needs parts for a Madbull hop-up, let me know.
  3. Old
    I have had good experiences with the Madbull hopup. I'm using it in a Madbull body with a ACM front set. It is a tight fit but I don't need a hammer to remove it.
  4. Old
    I'm sure the Madbull hop-up works well with a Madbull body. Not with a G&P body though, at least not from my experience. The accuracy was awful too, nowhere near my Systema or Prometheus, or even my G&P stock hop-up. Just letting everybody know my experience as a word of caution to all.
  5. Old
    Weird, I've been running the Madbull ultimate hop up in my G&P m4 and love. Fits fine and good accuracy.
  6. Old
    Food for thought here. Some parts have unique fitting issues regardless of brand name. I always have a set of fine grit files and/or and emery board to remove excess material. You shouldn't have to hammer a part into place.

Also, I think a very good lessons is learned here as well. Airsoft Superiority is an illusion. No matter how much money/time you spend upgrading and tweaking your guns, you can still be shot by someone with a $50 clear springer.

Remember the gun is just a tool and requires the human element for it to be used successfully.
    Updated 03-09-2010 at 10:41 AM by Texx
  7. Old
    If the part had to be hammered in/out, you are already in very bad shape...regardless if it was made from ECHO or Systema.
  8. Old
    Indeed Texx, it was an important lesson learned. There is much time and effort wasted on "whose gun shoots teh bestest" contests, and I was as guilty as any one person could be of that. I should've paid more attention when I put it in to see if it was going to need some custom fitting, but I was in a hurry, and well, dumb.

However, I would've been more inclined to resolve the situation peacefully had the unit performed even half-way decent. Maybe it does good in other guns, I know every gun is different, but in mine, it was pitiful.

I learned several valuable lessons. I thought it was important to share them so more people could benefit from my stupid mistakes besides myself. It's natural to want you gun to shoot better, but there's a healthy side to that, and an irrationality to it as well. Lesson learned the hard way :/
  9. Old
    Erm...that was absolutely your fault in this case. You should have checked for clearance, and keep in mind, that every single time you drop an aftermarket part in, you might be looking at minor modifications. Also, the madbull hop-up sleeve may not have been the best choice, you could have went with systema, prometheus, or firefly. Remember, no matter how nice a hop-up unit is, a crappy sleeve will make it run like a junky unit.
  10. Old
    I didn't use the madbull bucking with it, i used the Systema bucking that was already on my barrel, it still performed like crap.
  11. Old
    It's possible that either you happened to get one of the few lemons, or you might have assembled it wrong. Hop-ups are one of the many things I tend to see assembled wrong. As you can see, there were many people who did perfectly fine with their madbull hop-ups.
  12. Old
    Nope, it was assembled properly, it functioned correctly, just with a pitiful lack of accuracy and consistency. No need for defensiveness, I'm just giving an account of my bad experience with it's performance, fitting, and just a mindset in general. I'm glad other people had good experiences, I did not. I'm merely suggesting that there are better/safer choices out there.
  13. Old
    lol, you had to take a hammer to it and you are sure everything was lined up correctly and installed correctly? had good seal? etc.

You are suggesting that their are better hopups out there, yet you are clearly not judging the unit fairly. Many people, who have a lot of smithing experience (they certainly wouldn't use a hammer to remove their hopup) have had good experience with these units.
  14. Old
    The unit was assembled properly, and was getting a good seal (as the fps was unaffected). I didn't hammer the unit in there, but once in, it did not want to come out. I sure wasn't going to leave such a poorly performing unit in my gun, I tried every peaceful method I could think of to get it out, but to no avail. I have a pretty decent amount of smithing experience, but I am by no means out of the woods as far as lesson learning goes. Thus the reason for my post. It was a lesson learned. However, I am not going to recommend a unit that performed so poorly once installed properly (which it was), and I do know what performs well. That is what I'm going to recommend. My bad experience doesn't mean the unit is absolute garbage, it's just one singular experience. People can use/try the unit if they want, by all means, but I felt it was important to share my experience (which was more so that I should've listened to what I had already heard and that I should've been content with how my gun was already performing).