Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > NWOA shadow

Rate this Entry

Review on the King Bolt Missile

Posted 10-28-2009 at 04:31 PM by NWOA shadow
Updated 10-29-2009 at 04:30 PM by NWOA shadow
Review on the Russian kingbolt air to surface missile
Built by shack from team CY6
Written by Shadow from NWO Airsoft

At the Springfield OP 125 on 10-24-2009 I happen to be at the right place at the right time. Shack from team CY6 was talking to striker’s team member name Blade and asking him if he could bring out a secret weapon for the next game. Shack looked at me and asked if I had any lube for a tornado grenade and gas for it. I told him I did and went and grabbed my lube and gas and met Shack at his truck. Thinking Shack had some home made bomb that we were going to try and find I didn’t expect to see what I was about to walk up on.

As I walked up to the tailgate, Shacks son moved out of the way and behind him standing 5’ 6” off the ground and 8” round was a missile. So I told Shack that is a sweet missile but what did he need the lube and gas for. He then gave me the biggest smile he could make (the type you would make when buying the Airsoft gun of your dreams) and lifted the top part off the missile.

As the top was lifted off the first thing I notice was a keypad with a motion sensor on it. After seeing the keypad my eyes were fixed to the rocket as he slowly lifted the rest of the missile off the body. Once the top was fully off the missile I couldn’t stop my eyes blinking from what I was looking at.

After pinching myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming I began looking over the top very slowly. There were computer chips left and right, tiny servos placed around a circle in the middle of the missile, and on one side was a copper looking half inch round weight inside a slightly larger pipe. Shack then placed the tornado grenade on the top and showed me that it would spin. I asked him to show me how it worked. Shack said wait one sec and began to set it up to show me how.

Once the missile is active and the top is put on. He began showing me step by step on how to deactivate the missile. Shack first unscrewed three screws on the outside of the missile. Once the screws were out he lifted the top off the missile and bent down to the keypad. Bending down my self to watch he punched in the code and hit deactivate. The red blinking light above the motion sensor stopped blinking. He then stood up and walked around the right to the copper weight. Shack said the copper weight is the plutonium inside the missile. He then went on to tell me that you need steady hands taking out the plutonium because it can not touch the copper pipe that was no more then an eighth inch bigger then the copper weight. If the plutonium touched the outer shell it would trigger the servos in the center of the missile, which then would pop out dropping the weight that they were holding up. Once the weight dropped it would pull a metal cord releasing the spoon handle off the tornado grenade. Once the spoon popped off the grenade would go off. The cool thing about the grenade on the top was it was on a free rotating top. The grenade going off would spine the grenade around spreading the BB’s in a 360-degree direction.
After seeing all that I started asking questions left and right. Shack worked on the missile for three weeks with a total of 40 hours put into building it. All of the computer parts are on there for show, but are very well placed in my opinion as I thought they were there to make the missile work. He said the real kingbolt missile stand eight feet tall, but with it being that tall it wouldn’t have worked with being able to disarm it. So he scaled it down to the 5’ 6”. He then went on to tell me about the missile and how it was developed in the early 80’s and was used till around 1994. Shack has so much detail in the missile he even went to the extreme of putting the clear dome top on and a circuit board with a camera in it. After showing me the camera he said since it is an air to surface missile they would drop it from an airplane and use the camera to guide it to its target.

Fonz was the first person outside of team CY6 to try to deactivate the missile. The hole time Fonz and shack were talking about how to disassemble the missile step by step. When the time came to actually do it shack had been killed a few mins before. Fonzs had to do everything by what he remembered. He got the code in, took off the screws, and had the plutonium out but forgot about the wire on the bottom and it touched the outer casing and set off the tornado grenade. Congratz to your Fonzs for getting that far and being the first person to try to deactivate the missile.

My hats off to you Shack for being able to build such a magnificent working missile and look forward to seeing this and other awesome props at other games.

Video of the king bolt

Pics of the king bolt

Thanks for reading,
Shadow from NWO Airsoft
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5673 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

1. Old
    Not sure about having a Tornado going off 4 inches away from somebody's face, but sounds cool other than that
  2. Old
    Your photobucket link does not work.

EDIT: ****, Nice missle Mike!
  3. Old
    link should be working now
  4. Old
    I would like to see that as an objective in a game. Looks like fun.
    Posted 10-30-2009 at 05:45 AM by revoltofthestrong revoltofthestrong is offline
  5. Old
    You just have to attend events and you will most likely will see them as objectives
  6. Old
    seen it and it was awesome
  7. Old
    Excellent job. Thanks for improving milsim.
  8. Old
    Very cool stuff, cannot wait to see it
  9. Old
    That is awesome!!!