Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Life After Airsoft

What happens to you after airsoft. And a little bit of what happens during.
Rate this Entry

Job Hunt

Posted 01-14-2010 at 09:36 PM by gertrude
I've been very gifted with wonderful family members and friends who took care of me when I was down and out. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm trying to repay their generosity by trying to find work. I have been through a number of job interviews, and while I don't have work yet, I've had myriad mystical experiences here in the City that make the hunt an amazing adventure.

Today I had three separate interviews. The first was great and resulted in a very quick offer of a second interview. The second was actually a second interview with a different person that went really poorly. The third was somewhere closer to the first, but didn't have an incredibly encouraging outcome.

The thing about these experiences was more the fact that I was so happy through the day. After my first, excellent interview (that was just on the phone), I walked to the second along Fifth Street here in San Francisco. There were four or five small groups of men and women sitting on the sidewalk along the sides of buildings smoking pot. Everyone had a joint. It was weird.

Before you say, "Oh, what terrible people!" I'll tell you that the nicest people to me today were some of those potheads. They were random people on the street watching a lady in a black suit walk by, and they said, "Hey, Lady in Black!" or "Good evening, Miss!" and were really polite.

On my way back from that interview, I was stopped by a man walking in the middle of the street pointing to a man by the small homeless nook here along Market street. It's a deserted storefront with a thirty foot entry and multiple double doors, and a black man was on his stomach, reeling and bobbing, grasping at bricks and looking around himself bewildered. The standing man said, "He just had an alcoholic seizure. That man had a seizure. Do you have a phone? Can you call a paramedic?" I couldn't find my phone for a moment.

I thought to myself, as there were few people around on the street at the time, "Are these men playing me? Do they want to steal my phone?" I didn't see anyone have a seizure. But someone said they did.

When I found my phone, keeping my distance, I called a squad. The man on the ground was now sitting up. He was very drunk. The back of his head was scabbed and bloody with what looked like old seizure scabs, maybe. The standing man that saw him seizing was gone.

He was 47, with short salt and pepper hair and a creased face, alternately creased and fat, with fat lips and brown eyes that couldn't focus. He had nice eyelashes. He weaved as he sat.

I told the paramedics where he was, and the woman at 911 said I didn't have to stay. I did anyway.

The man said, "They know me. They know who I am. I'm like Michael Jackson." He was a repeat offender, and I called to bring paramedics to him.

I asked the man on the ground how long ago he had seized and he couldn't say. He said he was sick. He said he wanted to get better. He said he wanted to be well. He said he drank too much. He said more things I couldn't understand because the City swallows the mumblings of drunks. The buses, the cars, the ambulance, the fire truck. They all ate his words and I don't think he remembered them, either.

The paramedics showed up. One man got out to talk to me. I said, "Someone on the street saw him seizing. They asked me to call, and I stayed with him." The fireman said, "Thank you very much, we're familiar with him."

I said, "I didn't see him seizing but I figured I should call." He said, "It's good you called."

I walked away from the man on the ground. I don't think he'll remember me.

I walked away and there was a white, mid-40's businessman-looking guy standing by a tree. He asked me as he stood, the rimless glasses perched on his nose, "What was wrong with him?"

I paused a moment, looking back for just a second to see the paramedics aiding the man on the ground. "Someone saw him seizing, so I called." The ambulance proper was showing up finally, following the charge of the fire truck.

He said, "Oh, that's really wonderful that you did. I saw a homeless man stroking over Christmas and he would have died if I hadn't called."

I smiled at him and said, "Wow that's great," or something like that. I don't remember what I said next. I'm sure it was something pleasant.

I don't know if the man on the ground was just drunk or if he was seizing or not. I see a lot of homeless guys in that nook. They're usually different. It smells like urine there all the time. I try not to walk on that side of the street.

I'm really glad I stopped, though. The rest of the day I was smiling, and so many people smiled back at me. An old man on the bus winked at me, and I beamed him with my most generous smile. I smiled at the homeless man sitting at the bus stop on the way back from my third interview. He was about to open his mouth to ask me for change, and instead he just smiled back.

I'm going to try to hold onto this smiling thing for a while. If you can smile with your whole being, the world will smile back at you.
Tags: city, homeless, jobs
Posted in City Life
Views 2771 Comments 8 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    Sometimes it just feels good to do something for people. Makes you feel like an actual person and not just another bystander.

Good job, gert.
  2. Old
    Here's an off topic question, if you're in San Francisco why are you registered on an Ohio based airsoft forum? Do you even play airsoft? No offense just curious.
    Posted 01-15-2010 at 01:36 AM by Comrade Garcia Comrade Garcia is offline
  3. Old
    I moved to SF about four months ago. Before that, I did play airsoft, and I did moderate the forums here for a short while. (See the offtopic rules for something I wrote back in the day.) I played airsoft for about a year-year and a half, and most recently attended a game last April.

Just a note that if people are curious about Airsoft Extreme, I've been thinking of going there and checking things out if people are interested. They're just across the bay, although I'm not sure how accessible they are by public transit.
  4. Old
    As a note to people who go "why are you even registered on an Ohio forum when you don't even live here," it makes you look stupid when you ask. It makes you look like you're attempting to challenge someone's purpose or reasoning. Just, skip the thought.

As an "FYI", Gerty has been here a long time now.

Gerty, thanks for sharing this story. Makes me feel like I'm not alone. During the summer sometime I went to Buckeye donuts around 3 AM. A homeless and quite intoxicated midget was outside, walking by. He had an unopened beer bottle in his hand - he was favoring a leg and seemed troubled by the simple task of walking. He tripped over himself and hit his head on the sidewalk. Humorous in most instances of cartoons, however, this man wasn't exactly in a position to help himself up.

I walked outside, took him by the arm and helped him up. I got him paper towels and napkins and helped him clean the blood of his head a little bit. I got some blood on me, which I quickly washed off (I'm polite, but I'm not going to have some strangers blood on me). I asked him if he was alright and he seemed slightly coherent when he responded, so I up and left.

No one else seemed to give a damn but the other homeless guys outside and me. Sometimes it pays to help others out, even if it just gives you a sense of morality.
  5. Old
    True, being polite and courteous is a great feeling. That's why I always put the seat down after I piss.
    Posted 01-17-2010 at 02:04 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  6. Old
    Dude, we all know you sit to piss anyhow.
  7. Old
    Let me say, please, from the bottom of my heart to all of you men who put the seat down:

Thank you.

Thank you for being kind to us women who have to sit to pee. I mean, without you we'd have to touch the seat, and that's disgusting. I mean, it's disgusting enough that I have to sit, but it makes it better. So... thanks. From the bottom of my black, plaque-crusted arteries... thanks.
  8. Old
    This made my day. Great job.