Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Rellim

Rating: 19 votes, 4.63 average.

Arm Bands + Bdu colors = easy identification

Posted 09-04-2012 at 01:38 PM by Rellim
Updated 09-22-2012 at 02:13 AM by Rellim
Alright, So I did some digging on the forums and found some threads discussing BDU colors and their respective teams. I understand that a standard has been set in the community (pretty good one) but I still know that there is a lot of confusion and lack of communication on the field. With the addition of ATACS-FG, it is getting increasingly difficult to pick out other "friendly" teammates from hostiles.
I know my squad is usually active away from the main fighting force or behind enemy lines. It is sometimes very difficult in certain situations like this to differentiate between Green or Tan.
So, I have a proposition. Why don't we use arm bands as well as bdu colors? Take the already existing rules regarding battle wear color and add armbands. For instance: Green wears a blue armband and tan wears a yellow.

It would prove to be one more thing that would help in enemy identification. Spotters could look for armband colors as well as BDU colors.

It's just an idea. Nobody likes to be friendly'd.
I saw a lot of friendly fire in the woods during BF9, so it got me thinking.

That's all
Tags: armband, bdu, color
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14923 Comments 62 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 62

Comments

1. Old
    Lol sarcasm noted, I was giving you the teacher facepalm no actual *****s were given (c'mon remember your avatar a while ago ^_^)

It sounds as if you mean that if we have armbands we stop using bdu's to divide teams, that isn't my general idea. I believe we should keep things the way they are as far as spliting forces tan vs green, but add the armbands as a second element of identification.

In my case ID'ing friendlies from foes isn't out of laziness it's out of not being able to see from two sets of lenses (I wear glasses) and tons of fog. There is an element of surprise and angst associated with it so my FFs are usually followed with, "I couldn't tell what team you were on, so I shot you." Normally by the time you see someone especially if you are tromping around and not waiting for your target by the time you see them you only have 7.3-8.7 seconds before the other guy decides he'd rather not get shot first and pulls that trigger, that can't be helped.

Even if the it offers a slight improvement it's still an improvement, "or your money back".

I just think having armbands gives the more aggressive players some power in ID'ing themselves to their team by waving or revealing the armband in a semi discreet way, instead of relying solely on the discretion of the person pointing the gun. You are right that it isn't necessary in all situation but the fact that it can be used in other situations is reason enough to try it.

I roll flat tan or a m81 jumpsuit when I play and I still get friendly fired so that doesn't always work.

I play to have fun and fun to me equates not waiting to bleed out and respawn, I want to get as much trigger time (or in my case more crawling through brush time) and if having the armband and keeping it visible in the general direction of my allies prevents some premature discharge then so be it.
  2. Old
    Kyo, my thoughts exactly!
  3. Old
    Unambiguous identification is one of the most overlooked functions of a uniform. As far as the law of armed conflict is concerned that is their only purpose. Airsoft is not the military, but it is foolish to ignore military principles just because "airsoft is not the military."

I have absolutely no pity for folks who get team killed while wearing uniforms that are easy to mistake for the enemy. IDing your targets is important, and cannot be overlooked. But, there are two sides to each incident of fratricide. Players should be expected to not make their teammate's job harder.

ATACS-FG looks like multicam, and multicam can look green. Those are well known properties of the patterns. If you do not want to be shot by your teammates get uniforms that are unambiguous. Otherwise stop complaining about getting shot by your own team. Hiding is great, but being ID'd by your own team as a friendly and not a threat is equally as important. Mistakes will happen, but on your head be it if you contribute to the problem.

Oh... back to the subject of armbands, I would use arm bands if a host told me to without complaint. I do not think it is truly unnecessary but I am not vehemently opposed either. I will not keep a rainbow of ductape in my kit box though. The host better supply it if they want me to use it. That is unless we "standardize" the colors, but that is a joke in its self.
    Updated 09-30-2012 at 10:05 PM by BIRDSTRIKE
  4. Old
    I agree w/ birdstrike and spetznas. I think you both nailed it right on the head. I also think most people who truly despise the idea behind armbands are more worried about their costumes not looking cool enough. Thats really all there is to it.
  5. Old
    Why has no one mention call and reply? When we played a game at Fallen Warriors there was no tan vs green at some point. We had to make calls and replies. If the enemy didn't reply correctly, you shoot their ***!
  6. Old
    That's true Vinvyin, we need defined "call and replies"
  7. Old
    Flenner, you've really struck a nerve you discriminating jerk.

When I first started playing Airsoft, I was much larger than I am now. I started this as a hobby in which I could loose weight and get back in shape. Your nasty comment is so insulting on the basis of people's weight that I doubt your integrity now. You're telling people that over weight players cheat because they'd have to get healed and or respawn? This is flat out crap. I can't tell you how many times I've seen so called "skinny" and in-shape people not call hits. But I'd never single out a particular grouping of people and call them all cheaters. Why not say all White people cheat? Maybe it's all those Asians? Maybe it's the females? Maybe you're just a self righteous jerk? Who knows!

Back to arm bands, I will not use them at any event that I am the EO. I know who my targets are, where my targets are and if I'm not sure, ill make my medic heal them after. And I'd expect that same in return. Lets face it, in a dense wooded area, or even a CQB location, you'd still have to identify a target.
  8. Old
    I think that response was out of hand, AWOL. Even as a moderator, I think you would see behind the reasoning for many of my statements.

After just PM'ing you to understand the reasoning for the infraction I was given, I now understand your frustration, but this doesn't give you flat out rights to jump to a righteous conclusion without explanation. I never saw this until after the PMs.

I'm surprised that you, a moderator, out of all users on this website was more incriminating to me in your first post here, rather than stating a defense towards it. I'm not trying to make you mad, but please do not jump to conclusions. I am not here to single out anyone, but I am more offended that you didn't PM me and ask. I didn't specifically post towards you, or any other people for that matter. I understand that you are a moderator and I may be "in the wrong", but that doesn't (or shouldn't) excuse personal attacks.

For the record:
    Please get to know me before you call me a self-righteous jerk. I don't work at a hospital in the ER (Cardiology and Vascular, nonetheless) to make people cry. Maybe your hatred/dislike towards me will blow over someday when you meet me. My apologies for the confusion on the "personal attack".

You've been PM'd.
    Awaiting response in PM, Phone, or Email form from Red, Loc, and you.

Thanks,
    -Flenner
    Updated 10-09-2012 at 10:01 AM by Flenner (Typo)
  9. Old
    I am formally apologizing to the Mods and AO members. I had no intentions of starting a hurtful flame war. I just figured we could discuss this as adults and share views and ideas.
    I apologize for anything that went out of hand.
  10. Old
    That got out of hand fast... Call and responses are no brainers. I found, "Are you green?" usually works even when you do not set something up beforehand.
  11. Old
    I always liked call and response, IMHO, due to the reactions of newer players freezing when you yell out a code, expecting a response.

I think the only real problem with that would be a miscommunication with teams as to what those words are, or even if the teams listen at briefings to the fact that it is being used at all.

I'm pretty sure the moral of the story here is:

Communication = Life
  12. Old
    ^ Too bad there isn't a "like" button. haha
    Communication = life!
  13. Old
    wow i have a head ache from read the arguments here lol
  14. Old
    I think AWOL's comments were warranted. Just because he's a moderator doesn't mean he should stop voicing his opinions.

Second point, if you're going to accuse overweight people of being dishonorable and lazy just because they're overweight, then you deserve the Pandora's box of hatred you just opened.

Maybe you should be offended by being accused of discrimination because that exactly what it sounds like. How is it any different to accuse fat people of cheating or lazy because they're fat than accusing someone whose Jewish of having a little pot of gold?

Its assumption on your part that a person becomes overweight because of laziness. When you get older and real life brings on increased stress and other priorities you may find the hours you had to spend in the gym masturbating when you were younger take a back seat to having to take care of sick kids while you're under multiple deadlines at work.

The carefree days of styling your hair and having the one real responsibility of feeding your dog is replaced by having to get up at 5am and work until 9pm only to go home to your wife and kids and deal with family problems.

And that beautiful chick you used to bang at the beach and married in your early 20s has turned into an ugly hag from dealing with your pathetic spawn. Your summer of freedom is reduced to 15 minutes to play with your balls in the shower.

You know - real stress of having to support a family and work a real job. If you think the weight gain has anything to do with laziness, you should look in the mirror to find the guy that took the easiest excuse to make him feel better about being prejudiced.

Kudos to AWOL for coming out and saying it.

Updated 10-17-2012 at 06:19 AM by Texx
  15. Old
    Since it was your decision to get married and have kids its now your fault you have to wack off in the 15mins of shower time you get. Why not just leave it at he shouldn't have made the comments he did or just not comment on it at all?
  16. Old
    ^^^exactly^^^^

I once was a VERY fat kid but I lost all the weight by doing simple things like eating healthy, running, lifting and maintaining discipline in making these activities into a lifestyle by becoming a marathoner and an Ironman. I have absolutely no pity for those who are in the position I once was because I know what it's like. YOU are in control of YOUR own body and YOU are able to change YOUR habits. My father works just about everyday for 10-12+ hours yet he was able to lose 20 pounds just by cutting out pop out from his diet. Its little adjustments like this that have big impacts as time goes by.

Now lets talk about armbands...
    Updated 10-19-2012 at 12:38 PM by IRONMAN
  17. Old
    This needs more blanket statements.

Kill whitey. They're obviously ruining airsoft.
  18. Old
    How did this turn from a question about IFF to a flame war about weight?.... come on people stay on topic here.

it all comes down to whether or not the player on the sending end is patient or not. I dont think that armbands ( while a good idea) is actually practical to this problem. If your in a scenario where you are unsure if someone is on your team or OPFOR then just wait a split second longer to get a positive ID before you pull the trigger simple as that. I think the problem is that too many people think that they can just "Call of Duty" it up in the woods. I think this is a game of tactics not a run and gun. Just my two Cents

PS cant we all just get along
  19. Old
    Quote:
    Since it was your decision to get married and have kids its now your fault you have to wack off in the 15mins of shower time you get. Why not just leave it at he shouldn't have made the comments he did or just not comment on it at all?
    For the same reason Vincent Van Gogh didn't just settle for a coloring book. If you're not inspired by colorful words, maybe you should go back to playing in the sandbox.
  20. Old
    Another question:
    Would you attend an event that utilized armbands?

also, would you be willing to admit if it helped the issue?