Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > schmikah

Rate this Entry

Firearm regulation=end of airsoft

Posted 04-10-2009 at 05:08 PM by schmikah
I don't know how many of you out there are politically active, or even know what the name of the speaker of the house is for that matter, but I would like to throw a few things for all people, not just those of us who are politically savy, to chew on a bit.

With increasing talk about making firearms greatly regulated, and or illegal in the U.S. us airsofters must also look at the trends of the world to see if we will have a sport in the future.
I might remind you that when Great Britain found its self disarmed, one of the laws that wasn't mainstream, but was back-doored in with the rest of the disarmament legislation, was the outlawing of replica firearms as well. Now they have got to the point were low velocity airsoft guns are allowed, but you still must have registration and go through a long process to get one.

I still can't exactly see why that was necessary but why should we here in the U.S. think that something similar wouldn't happen if/when gun laws are introduced.

Many politicians have already looked at the subject of banning replica toy guns from use, simply because of the possibility that a mix up could occur, as has happened in the past.

I need remind you though that our new president, Barack Hussein Obama, has already spoke not only in his senate term, but now as president, along with his chief of staff, and vice president, about the very real possibility that gun regulation, and even possibly a ban on all firearms in the U.S. is on the horizon.

Personally I would hate to see firearms go in the country, but not to stray off topic, but also I would hate to see my favorite pass time also go down the political drain along with this countries second amendment right.

Just remember folks, that just because we live in America doesn't mean that we are immune to people screwing up. Keep a watchful eye on government, don't let airsoft fall by the wayside. Its too much fun, with too good of a community to end now.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5600 Comments 27 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 27

Comments

1. Old
    I do not think that america will lose its right to bear arms, or that the Obama administration will change it so civilians cannot own/ purchase firearms. That would be going too far, and would have serious repercutions with the public. We will have to keep an eye out, but this has been brought up many times over the years on this forum.
  2. Old
    I honestly dought that airsoft replicas will be banned. as cut throat said we have the 2nd amendment, but most of the people involved in politics have not been targeting airsoft and have been focused on real guns. That's not to say there arnt rules against them or people wanting to restrict them more then they are now but I honestly believe if airsoft guns are used properly like taught here on AO and people use common sense when handling them airsoft will still be around.
  3. Old
    I agree with cut throat - I don't think you need to worry about guns (real) being banned. The current administration has said that they think it would be best for the country if there were no guns, but they haven't proposed a complete ban on guns. (Also, I don't think I've ever heard them say that they think a complete ban would be good - only that a complete lack of guns would be good). Not only would it be political suicide to institute a ban (many of us dems would vote republican in the next election), but the supreme court has been quite firm in preserving our 2nd amendment rights.

I think they actually over-ruled DC's ban on handguns, calling it unconstitutional back in 2008. DC then found a loophole that still lets them do it (I was just reading over their firearms laws, and it sounds like you can own a firearm, storing it in a place 1000 ft from any educational building or govt. housing, but you can't carry it concealed or otherwise). Don't quote me on that though.

So, the supreme court would likely overturn any complete ban, but they do allow the states to add restrictions (e.g. the assault weapon ban).

As for airsoft guns, I highly doubt there would be legislation at the national level banning them. A bigger fear should be that your state will add regulations that ban them. If that happens, it would be independent of who is running DC, and have nothing to do with Obama.

Now, do we actually need to worry about it in Ohio? First, lets assume that paintball is here to stay. I can't see any argument that would result in airsoft being banned, but not paintball. The only possible thing would be banning replica weapons (which would also hurt the paintball RAP community). But seriously - a ban on all replica weapons? The republicans don't want it, and I'd guesstimate that the vast majority of the dems don't want that either. I haven't heard of any legislators calling for it (certainly nothing has picked up any momentum).

Conclusion: Guns aren't going to be completely banned in the US. Airsoft guns will most likely not be banned, and if they are, it will have nothing to do with Obama or Congress, so there is no need to worry more now than back when Bush was president.
    Updated 04-10-2009 at 07:49 PM by Core
  4. Old
    Obama is anti-gun and would love a ban. But it will not happen. Don't be too worried about it.
  5. Old
    Don't forget kids, that second amendment was originally put in place for Americans to be able to form militia in order to keep our government in line, just the way the country was started. If Obama should attempt a total ban, I'm sure we as a nation will remind him that he's our spokesperson and we'll promptly speak through him via whatever means necessary. At the same time, a bit more control wouldn't hurt but no matter what we do, the people we don't want to have guns will still have them (or will switch to much more painful pointy sticks).

That being said, keep playing, keep enjoying, and don't worry about it. Our politicians enjoy hunting and collecting too much to ever worry about any full firearms ban, let alone our toys.
  6. Old
    If anyone was going to ban guns its to late now because the people that want guns already have them.... so i think that to pass a law saying that real and replica guns should be banned would be a waste of time for the goverment....i doubt they will do anything with gun laws
    Updated 04-11-2009 at 08:04 AM by Jackson083191 (grammar check)
  7. Old
    Obama is not anti-gun first of all, and second if they are going to regulate guns a litte more thats cool maybe one less drug dealer will kill a cop ..... Maybe
  8. Old
    BDMK, the majority of drug dealers, gang members, and crazy people get their guns ILLEGALY! Tightening the control on law abiding citizens will just make it harder for the "good" people to defend themeselfs.

Obama not being total anti gun is like saying Echo1's M4 line is not a total clone of TM's design.
  9. Old
    yeah i agree with cut throat its only stopping the law abiding citizens to defend themselves.gun control is stupid for one with crazy people shooting up malls and places like that where guns are banned theres no metal detectors or anything to stop that so all they have to do is conceal and since most people follow the law and wont have a gun on them for protection in a place where its banned its just like target practice picking them off one at a time.if people were allowed to carry their guns to places like the mall i garuntee a psychopath will probably think twice before shooting it up and even if he does do it the casualities will be a lot less.but i dont think we have to worry about the government taking our guns away because im sure they know that we will probably attempt to overthrow the government if they do because its violating our rights.well sorry to drag on there lol.
    Updated 04-11-2009 at 04:35 PM by brandon lovin
  10. Old
    Guys nobody is comeing for your guns, hey What about the nice young law abideing citizen that went nuts in Pitt last week and killed 3 cops, those men left 7 little children behind. He never was a criminal he just got back from Irac, Im not going to post any more about this because im sure im in the minorte and will probably get band for going against the grain. People have been worried about loseing there right to bear arms for a long time in this country it will never happen. Just because we have a young democratic presedent doesnt mean the constitution or the bill of rights will be changed. Just tryin to show a different side to the argument. Thanks no hard feelings
  11. Old
    If my middle name was Hussein, would that make me a terrorist?
  12. Old
    Brandon - there's a good point in there, which has been bugging me for a while: bans on guns, which are not in any way enforced. For example, college campuses. I go to CWRU in Cleveland. It's illegal to have a gun on campus. Each semester several students are mugged at gunpoint (they send us security alerts about it). The ban of weapons on campus is clearly not helping (consider all the recent school shootings as well) - the people who are going to carry a gun on campus with malicious intent are going to do it anyway! All that the law does is let them know that we, the law abiding citizens, will be unarmed (we can't have *anything* weapon-like - I'm pretty sure even mace is banned).

So what's the problem? A ban would be fine if it were enforced (like at a pro sports game) via metal detectors. But banning weapons and then relying on individuals to use the honor code to enforce it is just silly.

So yeah, I agree with you, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that gun control is stupid. Weapons with a significant purpose other than crime, should not be banned (e.g. handguns / shotguns for self defense). But weapons that don't really have a defensive use should clearly be banned (e.g. claymores, frags, pipe bombs, BFGs, Redeemers, trained velociraptors, etc.). Are there any guns that fall into that category - guns that don't really serve a defensive purpose? Sure. You have no need for a minigun. Realistically, you don't even need a gun that can go full auto or hold all that many rounds (just a better chance that you'll hit a bystander). So, I'd argue that gun control which bans offensive weapons makes sense. It's just a question of what constitutes an offensive weapon.

BDMK - I don't think you're in that much a minority. In a way almost all of us agree that some guns are certainly ok (pump shotgun - ideal for home defense, common for hunting), and others are not (minigun). It's just a question of where we each think that line should be. Does a 12 or 15 round magazine mean your gun is an offensive weapon? How about 30 rounds? 200?
    Updated 04-11-2009 at 07:24 PM by Core
  13. Old
    i own a 9mm luger handgun and a smith an wesson .40 handgun and my 9mm luger has a 15 round magazine and the .40 has a 14 round magazine.so i dont think that just because a gun's magzine holds a certain number of bullets it should be banned.it just gives you a better chance to hit your target an not run out of ammo midway through the gun fight and end up dead.its not like some one who isnt insane is gona after they hit their target fire rounds into the air or around them to celebrate hurting innocent bystanders.all though i can understand banning full auto guns.but back to the point of this thread of airsoft being banned that would just be extremely stupid.some people think that airsoft is dangerous or that it can lead to violence of real guns.the being dangerous part is in my oponion ridiculous.its no more dangerous then mini golf if your not stupid.just a couple of weeks ago i saw a news report on how airsoft is dangerous because you can lose an eye.first of all you wear full seal goggles thats the rule.second anybody who decides to play airsoft without them is stupid and in my opinion might just deserve that.now there are accidents occaisonaly but usually they can be prevented by the person having a brain and paying attention to what their doing.but like i said generally its no more dangerous then mini golf
  14. Old
    They can't take away our rights!
    Plus if America did bann guns, there are hundreds of millions of guns here in America, are they going to take all of those too? They cant possibly do that, It would be too much money! And all of those "unlisted" guns out there.
  15. Old
    If they ever try and ban guns it would cause a war. The NRA makes most of Its money off of this fear, I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    If they ever come to my door asking for my guns bullets will fly, many people feel this way and the powers that be know this.
  16. Old
    I'll give you four good reasons why they will not ban firearms
    1.NRA
    2.people like us
    3.it's a little thing called the 2ND AMENDMENT!!!!
    4.if they even try and ban firearms a war that you would not event believe would start everyone from us airsofters to the NRA to the militia to people that just have a gun for protection,hunting, and recreational purposes would riot and me personally I would not give up my firearms it's my right to bear arms.
  17. Old
    I don't know if it is because I am not a US citizen yet or I am just dumb but you guys are spitting arguments all based on assumptions. I will just take emt123 post since it is very precise.

1. NRA
    so what? Just need to give some green here and there and voila, everything just changed my friend.

2. People like us?
    What? we have been manipulated by the medias for year and no one do anything about it. Do you really think they will just tell you "hello Mr, we want to ban all guns and take it from you"?probably not, they will play with facts and reality until you personally believe you have no choices to do so. Just give a 1k$ to the owner for every gun given back and you will how many are willing to get rid of their guns...again, green is a powerful tool.

3. 2nd amendment
    Like every other rules and laws, it can change REAL quick, don't take anything for granted.

4. A war if a ban
    With all due respects, your rights end where you step on others people right. If the majority of the US would decide on a gun ban, you would give up or they would walk on you. Do you really think the government would be afraid to use the martial law and any other tools available for them to succeed with a ban.

Government are usually VERY powerful and they won't mind crushing few thousands people here and there if it is to help their party's agenda. If we keep using what we take for granted as the absolute truth, I don't want to be you telling a bunch of guy in green pointing their rifle point blank "but but but this is my right".

The most powerful tool YOU can have his knowledge, be smarter than they are, find loopholes, use the laws, use everything you can to convince and rally up as many people as you can. It is not only for gun laws but for everything. why do you think North Korea crushed the student protests years ago? Knowledge is power and government can't afford to let people know too much.
  18. Old
    Blade, citizenship is irrelevant. A full ban is unconstitutional, period. We live here, therefore we can have firearms. Removing that right removes the clause for private militia (which is legal until used). Besides, I'll reiterate until the day I die that there are enough people out there who believe in this nation that will do whatever it takes to keep our government (which in the US is the citizens) in check. Regardless of what anyone thinks, says or does, if the people want something they'll find a way to get it, even if that means electing an official with aligning views to the majority. Think about this... we elected Obama for "change." We wanted a better economy and less of a war effort. If it's such a big deal that we lose our rights, we simply replace our spokesperson. Who knows, maybe we would see John Sigler as U.S. President instead of NRA President...
  19. Old
    I wouldn't be to believing in the "They can't do that."

King Curious George is rather unrestrained. However I don't think there will be a ban and disarming since it is the SECOND, right after the first. Also, upon seizing many will not take too kindly to that as stated earlier.

I'm not a fan of this monkey of a president we have
  20. Old
    Usedtocould, this is exactly my point: "Regardless of what anyone thinks, says or does, if the people want something they'll find a way to get it, even if that means electing an official with aligning views to the majority"

Constitution has been changed many times for many reasons and thinking the first or second amendment are untouchable is a big mistake. The same way people think spanish would never be that important in the US....
    Updated 04-13-2009 at 06:53 PM by Blade