Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > CRASH

Rate this Entry

this forum

Posted 03-10-2011 at 10:03 PM by CRASH
I can't believe some of the people on this forum anymore. People that I would think would be mature and understanding. You guys belittle new players and give them a hard time for not knowing as much as you or for asking questions. the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked. Everyone starts somewhere I've been there and I'm sure a lot of you have too, and I remember breaking my aeg's trying to upgrade them and then having to buy parts i didn't even originally need, but its all about learning. you do things wrong, then you figure out the right way and sometimes some advice from a friend ya know "helpful advice" that doesn't belittle the persons knowledge is needed. its no wonder all i use this forum for is events and sales.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6299 Comments 21 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 21

Comments

1. Old
    Well now you're going to let these few people ruin the entire forum for you? Am I supposed to feel sorry for you? Because all I see is you whining about something incredibly stupid.
    Posted 03-15-2011 at 09:57 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  2. Old
    Crash i think a lot of people come to the same conclusion about this forum and either dont post or dont come back. There are so many people on this forum that simply attack others outright over things that are totally insignificant. Too many big egos and people that are never wrong. If any given new user posts a thread on this forum there are only 3 responses they will get a.) Use the search button b.)Opinion post and deleted or c.)flames. Thats just the way it is. The "regulars" who may have had patience for noobs at one point are either no longer posting or tired of the same posts and then respond with either a,b, or c.
  3. Old
    Unfortunately, Ninja_fish got it right. Those who truly help are usually the one getting sick of it because it is too much time consuming to keep up. Take Dumborat for example. That guy was a freaking airsoft encyclopedia back in the day. always ready to help, always having an answer. Then come the stupid questions, stupid comments, stupid attitudes and everything went to hell...then he quit. Well, his school schedule did not help but he lost the "flame" nevertheless.

For someone only reading and posting 5-10 posts a week or even per month, it is probably VERY difficult to understand why users act this way. I think the real problem here is that I could expect such attitude from a 5 years veteran who got sick of it but these days, people join the forum and already have an attitude, like if the world was theirs and they earned to get served on their first post in this forum.

You know what sadden me the most? The attitude we get here is also reflected in the field. If you have no discipline here, you will get no discipline in the field. As simple as that. Read and find out who are the smart asses in the forums and I can bet with you they will be the same smart asses you will find at your local game. Luckily for us though, 50% of the players actually don't post on AO so that save you some BS

All I am saying is we post what we are. If you start being nice too much, you will pay for it later. If you don't educate the new guys right away, they will be the same guys showing up at the field saying they did not know XYZ rules because they had no clue. This is like a kid; show them the right way and they will grow from it.
    Updated 03-16-2011 at 07:08 AM by Blade
  4. Old
    Crash;

I see you openly criticizing the community, but don't make any attempt to set any kind of example or offer a solution to the problem you see. Maybe you should take on the responsibility and answer questions, since you find the community at fault.

Or maybe your account should be locked, since you don't seem to be contributing anything positive to the growth of this forum. You admit you benefit directly from the community as a sales medium and to find out about games.

Perhaps if you openly and actively participated, your opinion would change. Or, more to the point, gain some legitimacy in the eyes of people who do participate.

You admit you don't actively post, so what gives you the right to criticize?

Nobody is stopping you from setting the example you want others to follow regarding how you think everyone else should treat new members.

If you are going to be critical, at least show the community the courtesy to show and lead by example, offer advice on how you would like to see the community change, or actively participate in the education of new members.

Otherwise, your comments are appreciated, but somewhat irrelevant.

Your lack of desire to participate, is equally responsible for new members not being properly educated, at least to the standards you wish the community to be held to.

To put it bluntly and borrow a line from Zombieland - "it's time to nut up or shut up."

Respectfully, your humble and loving servant in Christ,

Texx
    Retired AO Staff Member
    Updated 03-16-2011 at 11:34 AM by Texx
  5. Old
    As a regular poster, it is very hard to continually re invent the wheel with new players coming in and asking the same question.

A lot of people, like myself, continually try to help new players not make the same mistakes and waste time, money, etc. The problem is a lot of new players do not listen and it is really annoying. So, we snap. We are human.

But if you really want to fix things, post on the forums to help people. Moderate disputes, answer dumb questions a few times. You will see that A,B, and C are there for a good reason and have helped keep this forum running smoothly.
  6. Old
    I'll admit, I tend to agree with him. The very reason I don't post as often as I could is because my second post someone flamed me to heck and back. The very people who do it all the time know who they are. There really isn't a solution except to use the hammer without any favoritism.
  7. Old
    Or for people to actually read the rules and quit blatantly breaking them. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.
    Posted 03-17-2011 at 01:04 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  8. Old
    What about those who just wanted a glass of milk?!?!
    Regardless of the subject at hands, all members should be at least polite and respectful. I punish and reprimend (sp) my kids all the time but I don't crush them when I do it. I obviously use different tones depending the question. when they asked me why they can't have a boyfriend, I am more "gentle". When they ask me why they must wear their jacket outside, I use my harsher tone....for the 100th time.

Newbies/members are the same way. the guy asking what is the different between a LIPO and a Nicad should have better consideration than the guy asking what gun is best. I guess we must be stricter and rude with those who simply doesn't want to at least search for the obvious. For example, when is the next event?
  9. Old
    My point is if you want things to change, you have to be willing to be the force to make those things change.
  10. Old
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texx
    Perhaps if you openly and actively participated, your opinion would change. Or, more to the point, gain some legitimacy in the eyes of people who do participate.
    ^^^^
    This
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 79stang
    A lot of people, like myself, continually try to help new players not make the same mistakes and waste time, money, etc. The problem is a lot of new players do not listen and it is really annoying. So, we snap. We are human.
    ^^^^
    This, although I try to refrain from snapping
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blade
    Regardless of the subject at hands, all members should be at least polite and respectful. I punish and reprimend (sp) my kids all the time but I don't crush them when I do it. I obviously use different tones depending the question. when they asked me why they can't have a boyfriend, I am more "gentle". When they ask me why they must wear their jacket outside, I use my harsher tone....for the 100th time.
    ^^^^
    ....and, this

pretty much sums up how I feel, how I act, and what I do in the forums after 5 years in the sport.
    Updated 03-18-2011 at 10:04 AM by Torque
  11. Old
    If you don't like this place why don't you just leave? That would make sense, wouldn't it?
  12. Old
    Kawaii, I disagree. It is not because you don't like Obama that you must move to Canada, do you?

Crash did the right thing to post about it. The only problem is he did not complete his post with ideas, suggestions and overall ways to improve the problem.

As we keep saying, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

So Crash, what do you think?
  13. Old
    I feel like our forums and community follow the exact lines of a great saying. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." Except its more along the lines of "Answer a mans question, he'll be set until he has another one. Teach a man to search, he can educate himself for a lifetime."
  14. Old
    Hey, to throw my 2 cents in, many of you don't know me, exactly for this reason. I joined this site a few years ago and asked a question about something (I don't remember but it was a very noob-ish question I'll admit). However I was immediatly flamed for it, and this really brought me down. I understood I was noob at that point and I had a lot to learn, but the fact that no one seemed willing to help, and just "bash the new guy" really sucked, (in lack of term for a better word). However a member of the forum did mesage me back explaining a few things, and restored my faith a little more. Now that I'm older I don't have a whole lot of time to get on this site so thats the number 1 reason I don't post too much. But I can't help but agree with Clark, he's absolutly right. From this I learned to search for my own answers, and become a more involved person in airsoft, and now currently have a job helping Luke (Jonezy) at Woodville surplus with guns. So was it nice, not really and I think the main problem is with most of these posts is that sarcasm amongst other human emotions do not get expressed well over the internet. So yes we could be nicer to the new guys, but they also need to learn the rules to this site and follow like everyone else. But I digress, and I'll get off my soapbox now, thank you for your time.
    Alexander Kapelski
  15. Old
    I suppose the only thing I'm surprised about is that the OP is surprised...I officially joined the forum back in December of '08 but had lurked for a bit prior to registering. Only took about two minutes of perusal to figure out what drew the ire of the community here, and what garnered praise. Right or wrong, the trends and patterns aren't hard to see. The same things that annoyed folks back in '08 annoy them now. For that matter, the same things that people complained about in AARs back in '08 are the same things they're complaining about now (I'm sure individuals who've been in the community longer will confirm the complaints go back much further than that)

Since joining I've only posted 46 times. The little statistic widget tells me that means I post an average of 0.06 times per day. I don't think I'm missing anything. When I've needed to utilize the knowledge base, I've first searched, then used the Private Message feature. When I first joined I sent out some formal, business like questions to leaders of established teams, and received great feedback in return--everything from the physics of the hobby, pace of events, initial purchases, even how to program a GP68 (...correctly). Now that I've been doing this for a few years and have gotten to know people in the community better, I just head 'to the shop' (321Airsoft, Airsoft Arms, etc), or, again, use the PM feature.

I don't really think there's anything mysterious or shocking about this community--if a person takes a minute or two to see the lay of the land, so to speak, before diving right in.
  16. Old
    Quote:
    It is not because you don't like Obama that you must move to Canada, do you?
    i lol'd franc.
  17. Old
    Well, there are rules to the forum. Sadly, NO ONE FRICKIN READS THEM!!!!! Hell, I doubt I have read them. We need the rules to be posted somewhere more, visible. Maybe a sticky in every section on guidelines to follow before you post. That may already exist, I don't know.

CRASH, why don't you lead the way and set the example? No offense against you as a person, but a blog post ranting about this won't do jack unless you be the frickin change.

That is all. Have a nice day.
  18. Old
    i agree with crash but is there anyway for a moderator to change the sign up process where before the email went out to confirm the account the new members would have to read the rules before they could get the confirmation email?
  19. Old
    X-Ray,
    When new members sign up, they have to read the rules to complete registration. When this system was put into place, it also required ALL members to read the rules when they signed in.

No excuses.
  20. Old
    i only use this forum to please myself to pictures of Son of Liberty. period. so i find this post redundant.