Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Torque

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Choosing an AO member name

Posted 07-15-2009 at 09:55 AM by Torque
Updated 07-17-2009 at 09:49 AM by Torque
Ok, I'm really surprised none of the veterans have written about this topic before, so I thought I'd briefly discuss the topic of choosing an AO member name.

What is a member name?
Well, it's the forum name that you sign up with when you create an AO account. It's the name you will log on with, and the name that that you will be recognized with in the AO forums. Many different AO members have reasons to create the name they log in with; some are nicknames, some are chosen for their appeal, some are given to them by others, and others are simply random choices. A member name will convey quite a bit of information about you as a member to others. As you contribute more and more good things to the community, other AO members will come to recognize and hopefully respect your member name. So it is important to choose something that represents your personality and conveys the right impression.

Now one thing I've noticed over the years of being an AO member, is that is it VERY easy to identify who are the n00bs and who are the ones who will eventually become vet members. In fact, it's fairly easy to predict the following based on one's AO member name:

1) Newbishness
2) Maturity level
3) Relative Age
4) Seriousness about the game of Airsoft
5) How many dumb or smart questions this member will ask when they first sign up
6) Who will become valuable contributors to AO in the long term
7) Whose threads will most likely get closed

So what's your secret for this magical identification?
If you look around AO, one thing you'll notice is that all of the veterans on AO have member names that match their call signs. These names are not only cool, but they're easy to pronounce and easy to read. Names like:

Texx
Fox
Loki
Grease Man
Blade
Hillslam
Locutus
Rocket
Merc
Decoy
Evil Head
Link
RipTide
Miyagi
Red
Iceman
oh, and I guess Minion too

etc., etc., just to name a few. Very simple. You can tell just from the names that these guys (or gals) rock, and are easily recognized at most of the 100 series, 200 series, and national-level Airsoft games. These are the guys that are interested in milsim and other aspects of the game. These are guys that have nothing to hide, and are ready and willing to help the community whenever possible.

Now, let me list some made-up names of a style that I routinely see on AO these days:

JackassAssassin
ladiesman217
bleedo125744
SuperDuperSniperDudez
KewlKillaz6756
AlienPillowManCandy
HawtMomCoxer69
fgdgfdcx1232
SargeantButtHead
l33t707x
fuzzyFairieSlippers
samito34588i3i3
xxxwhaddaFuuuuxxx
InYerFaceFatBoi
carneyblanshraseid
Imheretocausetrouble
JaggediJiggidiboo
I_R_reeli_dumb_11

See the difference? What do you think these types of names say to the AO community? Do you believe that these names convey a sense of maturity? Of intelligence? Do you think the AO community will take you seriously with this type of screen name/call sign? Do you think this is a good start to becoming a member? Do you think an airsoft team would want you to join them? Can we even pronounce your ridiculous member name?

I mean no offense to anyone on these forums. And of course, what you call yourself on AO or on the field is completely up to you. No one can tell you what to do. But just think about it. A good screen name/call sign is more important that you might think.

Discuss.
Views 21012 Comments 35 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 35

Comments

1. Old
    I'm due for a name change. Numbers aren't the easiest thing to yell out for in a firefight...

Is buttcrunch69 OK?
  2. Old
    Yea, I honestly thought "People will probably think I'm like gay or something for having Odin as my name" when I made it, then I saw Loki and didn't feel as bad lol. Honestly my oldest alias is Sphere, horrible call sign cause its hard to hear over the radio sometimes. I've been playing with that alias since i was around 11-12, so 8-9 years. Got it from my cousin who's alias was a local paintball shop in California, so I was like, "Well I make my name Sphere after the Paintball Sphere". Then my next oldest alias is Odin from when I used to play Super Smash Bros Melee. I was Odin, My one friend was Thor, and my other friend was Loki lol. Also, the reasoning for the number comes from ATZ (all things zombie forum) I was "Hitman37" on there. In the game he was agent 47.
  3. Old
    Torque, I'm changing my name to Hotmomcoxer69, as well as my callsign.

I agree on your points. Good post!
  4. Old
    what about BEEF?
  5. Old
    I must say, I've often thought of changing up to something with fewer syllables. I can't seem to find something that fits me and isn't cliche, so I've just become accustomed to people shortening my callsign a variety of ways in the field. As long as I know what you're getting at, I respond. Maybe I am cliche though... Hmmmm....

Excellent blog. We should start teaching screen names in beginner's computer classes.
  6. Old
    Can we have a grammar class also?

Good Blog, agreed to everything written
  7. Old
    Well my callsign doesn't match my user name. I chose this name as its my initials and the team I'm on. Though if it did create an issue I'd be willing to have somebody change it. Otherwise, it is a valid point about taking yoruself, the sport, and everyone else seriously.
  8. Old
    I deranged my callsign from a combination off my initials, and the nick name I was givin by an older airsoft player at my first event a couple years back... M&M, so i Thought to myself my initials are MN... how could i creativly mix that up?
  9. Old
    Well, mine isn't my callsign. Unfortunately, due to my only recent registration, it has sadly been taken (shakes the angry fist of God). I figured what I do by title would be the next most appropriate. Otherwise, agreement is reached on the subject. 1337 speak and general disregard for grammar in a name usually leads me to just ignore you.
  10. Old
    So you mean that I shouldn't change my name to hawtmomcoxer69... Damn.. You read my mind with that one..
  11. Old
    Kung Fu Moses was originally my Xbox Live gamertag, but then I decided to use it for everything else as well. It usually gets shortened to Kung Fu or Moses, which I don't mind at all. My callsign fits my personality pretty well. While I don't know Kung Fu, people always wind up following me, and listening to what I have to say. Only problem is, I'm the guy who will volunteer to be the distraction while a main force attacks from someplace else. Not something you want 10 guys following you into. Although, at 218 we had a pretty good fight at Gold City. The push failed, but we did a good job distracting nonetheless.
    Updated 07-26-2009 at 06:53 PM by Kung Fu Moses
  12. Old
    ok.. im going to amit that.. im a Noob, very much so, but i feel in love with airsoft since ive herd the name! and i see myself in love with it for a very long time! but as you quoted, {in a since} that your username resembles your self.. well i have the User name Cody Chaos.. well it was a name givin to me by and old friend a few years back, now idk if you'd call me chaotic, but it might fit time to times. now its not gonna be my name for ever or even come close to my tag,class, or team. to be honest i wanted Shadow Fox, but it was already takin and i love to be unique! so is stuck with what i wrote. but i do agree with you when user names are fghfghfgh259 or some crap like that.. That has no meaning what so ever! i mean i like shadow fox cause i like to hide in the shadows for stealth.. (not camping at spawn!) and fox cause i did research and its the animal that represents me. see it has meaning. but i do agree with you on many levels and to be hinest i just wanted to write something, but i do like the blog and it makes great since!
  13. Old
    Good post. But is there a way to change a persons user name? Or would they just have create another account?
    Posted 11-15-2010 at 04:46 PM by field of death field of death is offline
  14. Old
    Wow, I'm surprised that people would want someone to shout at them "Hey, HawtMomCoxer69, get over here!"
  15. Old
    Sure I've keep my username from my email,But my callsign is alot better
    Anyway,Good post.