Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Skate

Rate this Entry

Simulation and Religion, do they conflict?

Posted 08-11-2009 at 12:03 AM by Skate
Murder. The Bible, Koran, and Torah all say that it is morally wrong. Of course, this directly referrs to the actual act of killing another human being, but does it extend further? One of the Ten Commandments says that thou shall not kill (or something along those lines), does that include "fake" killing, Call of Duty, Metal of Honor, Halo? Does it include airsoft?

Personally, I'm not sure. On one hand, people have played army from the dark ages, on the other, have we made it so realistic that it would actually transcend into an actual act of violence. Again, I'm not sure. I've thought about this for a few years now, and I've never been able to come up with an answer.

Just to keep things appropriate and PC, it would be pointless to leave a comment saying "it doesn't matter, God isn't real anyway", so please refrain from any hate, anti-semitic, or otherwise offensive comments.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6035 Comments 8 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    not to get all technical on you, but the bible isn't exactly strict about killing.

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die -- Deuteronomy 21:18-21

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God -- Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. -- Numbers 31:16-17

These are just a few examples...

I'm just saying there's a lot more to that book than what they teach you in Sunday School

Ezekiel raising a zombie army and assaulting jeruselum was a pretty sweet story, but not one youll hear about in sunday school...
  2. Old
    Realistic? What seperates the two is the outcome. While you may be able to shoot plastic bb's at someone, how many would actually be able to kill someone. It has been know for a long time that Soldiers, in the middle of battle, lack the Fortitude to kill another human being. Even when their life or the life of their buddies, depends on it.

What you are speaking of is like comparing apples and oranges. I don't know much about religion, but there is no grey area.
  3. Old
    Airsoft was just kind of thrown in at the last second, and should probably be exempt.

I am speaking more about the very realistic war games that are coming out in droves. Yes, partlow they can realistically simulate killing.

Good point Private BIGG, but what I am wondering is if doing anything that could be considered "killing" (ex. playing a war game) when it isn't strictly necessary (like protecting your country or the wellbeing of other humans), if god would consider it murder.
  4. Old
    look at it this way. The act of killing in a video game is simply a string of commands driven by code. Remove the pixels, look at the code and all you have are string of commands based on input by a digital device. The same digital device that could, say if the code was written differently, create digital pixel life. Remove the face of the code. What do you have? 110011 001011 000101 Binary code. 0's and 1's. Translate that to how a machine registers it. 1= power 0= no power. all in tempo to a clock.
    So what are you really doing? power/no-power. Does the machine make life and you command it to take life away? or is it just a series of power pulses coursing through wiring?

In the end, what does it boil down to?

You know what what it boils down to in real life. You pull the trigger, the bullet hits the target, the target looses it's life. Gone. Forever. No respawn. No Do overs. You not only destroyed that life but shattered the lives of those connected to it.
    Updated 08-12-2009 at 02:00 PM by Rhyno
  5. Old
    Let me put it this way.

Is there a diffrence when the object which you are killing is not real? Just an image made of 0's and 1's.

Play call of duty. What do you FEEL when you "kill" those numbers on the screen.

Now watch a video of someone actually being shot. There are tons of them on the internet. What did you FEEL?

Understand the diffrence?

Being realistic,to me, means it is close to real life, but still not. You''ll never know what it feels like to actually make that decision and face the consequences of your decision until you have been placed into that spot. Ultimately, it is up to you and your beliefs. If you feel like you are doing something wrong, then you probably are according to your beliefs.

I know I should not have gotten involved in a religion discussion. But, the arguments about violence in video games, movies, etc, etc, always get to me.
  6. Old
    Good point. This blog was just a thought I've had for a while, and wanted to get down in black and white.

While you broke it down into what the video game really physically is, is it still moral. Maybe not, but then again people have become so desensitized, including myself, it could be hard to draw the line on whats appropriate.

Also, you have to realize I'm not talking about if violence is wrong in video games, at least not directly, but if, and this is hypothetically saying that God does indeed exist, he would approve.
    Updated 08-12-2009 at 02:25 PM by Skate
  7. Old
    Sign me up for the zombie army thing.

Better to be for than against an army of flesh eating corpses I guess!
  8. Old
    Relating airsoft/"killing" simulation video games to actual taking the life of another human being? No, I don't believe so.

When you play Halo/COD/etc, are you really wanting to physically kill those you are playing with? No you don't. Unless you have some serious problems.

Same goes with airsoft, if you have anger/killing issues like that, you really shouldn't be playing at all.

Also, if my memory serves me right, killing in combat does not constitute as murder in the eyes of God. I'll have to check on that, anyone who does know, feel free to correct me.