Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Panda

Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Panda's Guide to Being a "Frontline Medic"

Posted 11-24-2011 at 09:49 PM by Panda
Updated 11-08-2012 at 06:56 PM by Panda
IF YOU GET BUTTHURT BECAUSE YOU THINK MEDICS SHOULD STAY IN A BUILDING IN THE BACK, DON'T READ AND DON'T COMMENT IF IT IS NEGATIVE.

Anywho, onto the info!!

Experience: 9 events (4 milsims, 5 open plays) as a frontline medic.

Why: Some people want to be a medic, but not want to be confined to being what I call a "field hospital medic." If you wish to be a "frontline medic", that is, one who is up on the front lines healing casualties as they go down, then you won't want to go in blind. Here's how I prepare and get out and do my job.

Preparation: Try to stay light. A fully loaded IOTV may restrict mobility. Of course, if you are strong enough to run around in that then by all means, it's your money. I personally run a lightly loaded Weesatch (By that I mean I don't have pouches everywhere. Just an admin and a hydro bladder) with 8+1 magazines and a smoke grenade or 2. My belt kit is a dump pouch, small utility pouch, and a holster. I am pretty mobile in this. Cardio is definitely important if you want to be effective, because you will be called everywhere across the battlefield. This is also why I carry smokes, because it makes the job a helluva lot easier when they can't see you. Also, invest in a method of telling time, such as a wrist watch or stop watch. You'll want this. Your gun should allow you a decent amount of maneuverability. An M60 is not good for sprinting around. I personally use an M4 CQBR, but that's just me.

Execution: Do your job!!! Your job is heal people as soon as they go down. Someone shooting is much better than someone sitting around dead, so your job is to fix that. You will need to be fast, coordinate with your team, and get to that casualty before he bleeds out. Have your team provide covering fire while you run to the casualty. Do your medic magic and get him back up and firing. Wash, rinse, repeat. Don't put your life in overly dangerous situations. Example: Guy is down behind a sapling 50 feet from enemy positions. In this case, no one will get out alive, so your best bet is to leave him until he is accessable or bleeds out. Sucks, but he shouldn't have died out there like that!!

Bro-Tips
-Although I never use all 8 spare magazines, sometimes my teammates need them, so that's why I carry 8. Buddy mags are win because they keep people busy firing when their mags are out.
-Speaking of carrying ammo, you still have to use it. 'Nuff said.
-No matter what Bad Company 2 tells you, you PROBABLY shouldn't haul around an M60 and a gratuitously large backpack full of combat gear you won't use at an open play. Try to be light.
-Try not to die, this may go unsaid, but seriously, you are the lifeline of the team. Without you, everyone gets wiped out eventually, unless your team is some Delta Force win, but you most likely aren't . Don't die.
-Speaking of teams, don't be antisocial. You WILL need to talk to your team to coordinate cover fire, and being a silent medic gets you no where. Talk, make friends, kill people, heal people.
-If you don't feel safe or are denied permission to get a casualty, find someone who can. Make sure to cover the cannon fodder who goes and gets him, he'd do it for you. Once they both hightail it to you, highfive the bro that got him and heal the mofo that died. (Bro-tip brought to you by D-Boy)
-Be in a good shape. You will get called a lot, and if you can't run, you might as well rip that patch off your shoulder and give it to someone who could implement it well.
-Don't give up!! No fear, get those guys back in the fight!!

that's all for now!!
Views 19236 Comments 26 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 26

Comments

1. Old
    As a strategic point, I typically gun for medics. This can bog down OpFor creating an opportunity to completely stall an initiative or punch through a line. It can also create lulz if you assign Medic Assassination to your snipers.
  2. Old
    Heads up delta team, this is an epic medic blog.
  3. Old
    I've been our medic since the end '09. Here's a few "life lessons" I've learned. IF you can get to the guy without getting hit, do it. If not, don't worry about him. He'll be back in 5 minutes or so. Don't ruin your squads chances of success because you died for one guy.

Like Texx pointed out, people gun for medics. Setting up a CCP is critical. Just because you're in a static position doesn't mean you're not a "frontline" medic. If you're in a ditch, or creek bed, or behind some log with the enemy 50 feet away, you're better off staying put. If you can hit them, they can hit you. You're no good dead.

If you have the cover and the ammo, use it. There's no reason why you can't help provide covering fire while your buddies bring you dead.

Lastly YOU ARE A RIFLEMAN FIRST. You ALWAYS need to have your weapon at the ready. Too often have I seen medics get wasted because an OPFOR got the drop on him because he was too busy counting and not scanning. You're supposed to have a watch. Use it.
  4. Old
    Very well written, Panda. Also....I like the tags.
  5. Old
    CCP for the win. don't get killed. Let people bring casualties to you if it is really hot. Don't run around exposing yourself to fire if you dont have to. That being said don't hide either. When you are not healing you need to fight as well.
  6. Old
    Stay motivated and listen to your squad leaders. That's the only advice anyone ever needs.
    Posted 11-25-2011 at 04:44 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  7. Old
    Pretty solid advice, Panda.
  8. Old
    Quote:
    Lastly YOU ARE A RIFLEMAN FIRST. You ALWAYS need to have your weapon at the ready. Too often have I seen medics get wasted because an OPFOR got the drop on him because he was too busy counting and not scanning.
    This actually happened to me at an old Springfield op (222? it was a while ago). I was going for a guy, literally 5 seconds after beginning to heal him, a guy pops over the hill. First thing I did was lean (or fall, more accurately) backwards, pull up my gun, and let out a burst to let him know I was there. Then I pulled/kicked myself back away from the guy I was healing because I saw another guy to my right. Got him back up 2 minutes later, but that was 30 seconds of intensity.

Quote:
    As a strategic point, I typically gun for medics. This can bog down OpFor creating an opportunity to completely stall an initiative or punch through a line. It can also create lulz if you assign Medic Assassination to your snipers.
  9. Old
    Another +1 for panda..
  10. Old
    ya the Weesatch is a pretty good vest but if you really want to run around you might want to get a FLC with a few M4 pouches
    Posted 11-27-2011 at 07:22 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  11. Old
    Quote:
    ya the Weesatch is a pretty good vest but if you really want to run around you might want to get a FLC with a few M4 pouches
    Those actually look really nice, I would definitely recommend one. Of course, I got a Weesatch because I'm a cheapy and it had built in pouches, so I was like:

and hopped on it.
  12. Old
    ya i got both right now and i bought the weesatch because i didn't want to spend 20 bucks on fricking M4 mag pouches
    Posted 11-28-2011 at 10:11 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  13. Old
    need to practice rule number 1 in zombieland (cardio), but i'm planning on getting a MP5 Personal Defense Weapon (MP5K with folding stock), hopefully i make a good medic, i have never done it before and i sounds very interesting
    Posted 11-29-2011 at 05:52 PM by The Blind Sniper The Blind Sniper is offline
  14. Old
    ya being medic would be new for me to
    Posted 11-29-2011 at 06:19 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  15. Old
    Do it!!! Just be able to run around, communicate, and heal people, and you will do fine. Common sense is your strongest ally.

Definitely don't so it "for the lulz". People WILL order you around, especially in MilSims. I've been there, literally have had no choice but to run across paths to unsecured casualties, hit the deck, healed them, and crawled to safety. I have also been ordered to stay put while everyone else fight, and wait for the occasional casualty. On the other hand, I have had to run into the line of fire, pull people back to safety, and heal people because the ACTUAL fighters wouldn't do it. Definitely can't be afraid as a medic, since the first thing you realize is people target you (TEXX ).
    Updated 11-29-2011 at 08:06 PM by Panda
  16. Old
    Im going to do it next time just to see how it is
    Posted 11-29-2011 at 09:31 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  17. Old
    don't know if I ever met you Panda but Hell Yeah dude, +1 from me. I like having a Medic or two that actually gets up there in the fight. Yes we do need some Medics to be at a triage station but having one up front is great.
    at Irene all of the Medics but two where on the 4th/5th floor of an Open Building "so that they wouldn't get hit". If the bottom floor was over run, we would've been screwed and It took way to much time just to send one guy up to triage, not worth it...
    long story short (to late) set up triage in a area close by but don't be an idiot about it and it is REALLY nice having 1 or 2 Medics up front, They arn't going to heal everyone... and shouldn't have to :-).

Nice work panda.
    Updated 12-07-2011 at 03:29 PM by Teddy Bear
  18. Old
    @Panda, someone actually ordered you to go to an unsafe loacation? I quit being medic because I was always ordered to stay put and let people bring the injured some to me.
  19. Old
    ya im not a secondary medic ill stick with support fire with m4 midcaps and a few hicaps hehe two pistols on backup
  20. Old
    Well, it was more that there were casualties on our flank, so they sent me and a couple bros to go and get them. Little did I know that there was still a guy watching the casualties or something, so I get to the first one and come under fire. I got to do some hardcore() WWII style crawling under fire. In the end, I ended up dead and the Strikers who sent me over there secured the area and healed me.

Them Strikers and their suicidal commands...

And I hate being a CCP unless I say so or the action is too heated for my safety. It's just too slow and uneventful. Granted if we are assaulting a town and we secure a building, I'm not gonna risk myself to clear a room, I'll just stay in one cleared and have people brought to me. But when necessary, I can get out there and get shiznit done.
    Updated 12-11-2011 at 09:45 AM by Panda